Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

his hot sister in law's dogs*

e: damnit this post works less well on a different page

anyway happy paxmas to all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Platystemon posted:

That’s far too straightforward.

They’ll be conflating multiple incidents into one while embellishing each.

Here’s a better example: “A COVID thread hypochondriac put industrial bleach into a humidifier to wash his bon bons, but it ended up killing his dog. The vet said that his dog’s blood was twenty percent bleach.”

So that's what's got all the dogs sick

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I got Covid again from work on Dec 12th (everybody is sick there) and we had those lovely Canadian rapid response tests that come out in the green box. Of course they tested me negative so I kept working until I got a different test kit, which tested positive. My symptoms were mainly dizziness, nightmares, headaches with pain behind the eyes, and a sore throat. Fast forward to a few days ago: I started having swelling in my feet (and is still there) really deep pain in my front ankle joints that was causing a really deep pain. I kept them elevated when I could.

When I woke up today, I had this on both of them:

I don't know what the gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Soap Scum posted:

his hot sister in law's dogs*

That’s the spirit!

They will then gift someone who is unrelated to any of these incidents a red text with this story, with the avatar being the face of yet another goon.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Posting feet in viral chat threads

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Entorwellian posted:

I got Covid again from work on Dec 12th (everybody is sick there) and we had those lovely Canadian rapid response tests that come out in the green box. Of course they tested me negative so I kept working until I got a different test kit, which tested positive. My symptoms were mainly dizziness, nightmares, headaches with pain behind the eyes, and a sore throat. Fast forward to a few days ago: I started having swelling in my feet (and is still there) really deep pain in my front ankle joints that was causing a really deep pain. I kept them elevated when I could.

That looks like a histamine rash to me but I think that's one of those "call your doctor" things

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Blurry vision is a stroke

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

AFAIK $1400 is what Pfizer is charging insurance companies, but I’m curious how much of that is going to be covered by insurance

I wish I still worked for an insurance company so I could verify this

generally what happens is a pharma charges an insurance company something like $28K and the insurance company charges the member $1400 and the pharma and insurance co wash the difference as a "rebate" which gets written off

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

The Oldest Man posted:

That looks like a histamine rash to me but I think that's one of those "call your doctor" things

Will do

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I wish I still worked for an insurance company so I could verify this

generally what happens is a pharma charges an insurance company something like $28K and the insurance company charges the member $1400 and the pharma and insurance co wash the difference as a "rebate" which gets written off

“People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”

—Karl Marx

actually Adam Smith

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I need a plan for what to do when me or my partner gets covid. Other than "covid person lives in master bedroom with door closed" I don't know how else to prepare. She is definitely going to get it. She won't wear a mask with her family and her family is out sucking and loving and eating out without masks constantly. She cannot shoulder the burden of being the only freak in a mask. And I won't leave her. So this is how it has to be. What should I make sure I do when one of us gets it? I've seen posts saying Paxlovid will be impossible to get for some reason?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

:sever:

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I need a plan for what to do when me or my partner gets covid. Other than "covid person lives in master bedroom with door closed" I don't know how else to prepare. She is definitely going to get it. She won't wear a mask with her family and her family is out sucking and loving and eating out without masks constantly. She cannot shoulder the burden of being the only freak in a mask. And I won't leave her. So this is how it has to be. What should I make sure I do when one of us gets it? I've seen posts saying Paxlovid will be impossible to get for some reason?

Get Pax and isolate until whoever is positive tests negative a few days in a row. This will likely be around days 12-14.

The best ways to help isolate are to wear a mask in shared areas and have HEPA filters/Cubes in bedrooms. It's doable to avoid household transmission!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

There are some resources in the OP but basically:

1. Have the sick person isolate in a negative pressure area. There are barometer smartphone apps that can measure pressure. With the door closed and any fans you're going to use running and any windows you're going to open open, you want the isolated area to be 5 hPa lower (minimum) than the rest of the house to ensure contaminated air doesn't migrate out of the isolated area into the rest of the house and it's the single most important thing you can do to avoid getting sick if someone in your household has it. Your bathroom extractor fan might be able to generate this amount of pressure all on its own. If it can't, or if they're isolating in an area without a bathroom exhaust fan, there are pretty cheap window exhaust fans you can temporarily put in to generate negative pressure such as https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Reversible-Airflow-Control/dp/B07YJCWY8N
2. Open windows and/or run corsi boxes or HEPA filters continuously throughout the rest of the house to provide adequate ventilation and filtration. In general, ventilation beats filtration but make sure you don't accidentally equalize the pressure with the isolation area by opening windows or running vent fans. You'll want to use your phone app to double check and do it in advance because I guarantee you are not going to remember to do this properly when your spouse is sick.
3. Get paxlovid ASAP. There are some resources in the OP about that. It's going to be harder to get soon (in the US) because all of the government-purchased courses are about to get tossed in the garbage and it'll be market-rate from now on. This means that it'll probably be much harder to get it easily via telehealth appointments and you will definitely be depending on your insurance to avoid paying the $1400 sticker price per box.
4. Stockpile some rapid tests. These aren't very good at identifying infected people before they develop symptoms, but once your spouse (or you) start feeling better, you'll want to use these to verify the sick person is no longer infectious. Get at least two negative tests on two consecutive days, three to be safe, before ending isolation. No matter what anyone says, if you can turn a RAT test strip red (even faintly), you are infectious. This can last for a lot longer than severe symptoms.
5. Both of you should be wearing unvalved n95s at all times in common spaces and whoever is sick should really try to minimize the time spent in those.

My wife got it about a year ago and was turning tests blood red for three weeks before she cleared it. I managed to dodge it. It was lovely af but if you plan ahead a bit and really stick to it until they test negative, it's doable.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Thank you for the real responses, ill start prep tomorrow. Wish it wasn't coming to a head right at christmas.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

Thank you for the real responses, ill start prep tomorrow. Wish it wasn't coming to a head right at christmas.

Yeah, it's a poo poo situation. BTW, if you are serious about dodging it and your wife won't stop going to indoor social events unmasked without testing, it might be time to get a Cue or Metrix test reader and have a conversation with her about sleeping separately for a few days and then her doing one of those tests after she does a big family gathering. Waiting 72 hours and then doing a molecular amplification test after exposure gives you a pretty reasonable chance of picking up her being infected before she infects you, which she almost certainly will otherwise since people are highly infectious before showing symptoms.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

mahler_biryani posted:

.... covid got our family for second time in 3 months.

Sorry man.

Wife's friend is visiting china and is now sick. But apparently it can't be covid! Because 1) she just got covid 3 months ago and 2) the symptoms are very different.

Apparently she passed out in the elevator and poo poo herself. Which, I guess it could be food poisoning, but goddamn girl, lol.

I tried to tell 'em that "GI symptoms" have been the new hotness for a bit now, and just because it was "mild" and "just a cold" last time doesn't mean you didn't hit the jackpot this time, but they don't want to hear it. I mean, drat, I've had food poisoning and stomach flu a number of times, but this sounds quite mmmm ..... "spicier than normal".

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

Apparently she passed out in the elevator and poo poo herself.

Can't be covid, that doesn't sound mild at all

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lol yeah SIL was coughing every once in a while last night. But it's ok she had covid again start of November, she's clear.

E: also tpp article right now on one korean site.

quote:

Could it be a pandemic again?... Corona confirmed cases worldwide ‘increase 52% in 4 weeks’

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 09:35 on Dec 24, 2023

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

I know I'm a thread enemy now

go hyperbolize about it elsewhere

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/no-extra-vaccine-dose-needed-for-jn-1-subvariant-says-covid-panel-chief-nk-arora-4729893 posted:

"No Rise In Hospitalisation, Deaths": Covid Panel Chief On Surge In Cases

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Interesting enough piece, though naturally floral in diction and content. Here merely a highlight of the statistic.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/dec/24/do-me-a-flavour-adjusting-to-life-without-a-sense-of-smell-after-covid posted:

I lost my sense of smell after Covid. Here’s what I’ve learned about life without it
When the virus shut down my nostrils, I presumed it was a temporary issue. But three years later my food still tastes like cardboard
(..)
Around 700,000 people in the UK are believed to have total smell loss caused by the virus, with around six million still experiencing some olfactory dysfunction.
(..)

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

1. Have the sick person isolate in a negative pressure area. There are barometer smartphone apps that can measure pressure. With the door closed and any fans you're going to use running and any windows you're going to open open, you want the isolated area to be 5 hPa lower (minimum) than the rest of the house to ensure contaminated air doesn't migrate out of the isolated area into the rest of the house and it's the single most important thing you can do to avoid getting sick if someone in your household has it. Your bathroom extractor fan might be able to generate this amount of pressure all on its own. If it can't, or if they're isolating in an area without a bathroom exhaust fan, there are pretty cheap window exhaust fans you can temporarily put in to generate negative pressure such as https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Digital-Reversible-Airflow-Control/dp/B07YJCWY8N

5 hPa = 500 Pascals = nearly two INCHES of water column

That's an insane level of negative pressure. A medical negative pressure room is like 0.002" water column, about a thousand times lower than that. For the record, using a small furnace blower and aggressively sealing every crack, gap, vent in my master bedroom, the absolute highest I ever achieved was 0.2" WC, or about 50 Pascal delta.

The problem isn't achieving enough pressure, the problem is maintaining it if you have outdoor openings in the room, including the fan. Since you can't HEPA filter the air coming from the room and recycle it, your fan/blower/whatever is exposed to the outside. A small breeze can cause huge swings in pressure of 0.1"WC or worse. This is why even though I could get enough negative pressure with a decent window fan (like 0.035"), it has too much open surface area and even a slight breeze would completely overwhelm it and put the room positive pressure to the rest of the house.

So realistically speaking, most people can achieve negative pressure easily most of the time, if you seal obvious gaps in the room and have a decent window fan. But you will always have periods of time where the room goes positive pressure. So you will need corsi cubes inside and outside the room to help handle those events.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Rescue Toaster posted:

5 hPa = 500 Pascals = nearly two INCHES of water column

That's an insane level of negative pressure. A medical negative pressure room is like 0.002" water column, about a thousand times lower than that. For the record, using a small furnace blower and aggressively sealing every crack, gap, vent in my master bedroom, the absolute highest I ever achieved was 0.2" WC, or about 50 Pascal delta.

The problem isn't achieving enough pressure, the problem is maintaining it if you have outdoor openings in the room, including the fan. Since you can't HEPA filter the air coming from the room and recycle it, your fan/blower/whatever is exposed to the outside. A small breeze can cause huge swings in pressure of 0.1"WC or worse. This is why even though I could get enough negative pressure with a decent window fan (like 0.035"), it has too much open surface area and even a slight breeze would completely overwhelm it and put the room positive pressure to the rest of the house.

So realistically speaking, most people can achieve negative pressure easily most of the time, if you seal obvious gaps in the room and have a decent window fan. But you will always have periods of time where the room goes positive pressure. So you will need corsi cubes inside and outside the room to help handle those events.

In many households it is probably easiest to map out the natural airflow of the house/apartment (almost invariably regulations will require an air outlet in the bathroom and kitchen) and then do a setup relative to that. I think apartments will also tend to have a side of the building that almost always have higher pressure than the other.

Unfortunately it usually means rooms are high pressure, relative to common areas. Which is good when you have tradespeople working on stuff, but less great for isolation purposes. If you have a room with its own bathroom, you've struck isolation gold though.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Dec 24, 2023

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Pingui posted:

In many households it is probably easiest to map out the natural airflow of the house/apartment (almost invariably regulations will require an air outlet in the bathroom and kitchen) and then do a setup relative to that. I think apartments will also tend to have a side of the building that almost always have higher pressure than the other.

Late in the game, but for energy efficiency reasons some utilities will loan out the tools to measure this, like manometers and poo poo, for example

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah in my house the prevailing winds tend to blow into that room/window, against the exhaust fan. So the ideal would probably be on the other side of the house. Unfortunately there's just no bedroom/bathroom suite setup at all on that side.

I also tried a 4" duct exhaust fan (used for 3d printer exhausting, hydroponics, home grow operations, etc...) and it had only so-so pressure compared to a regular window fan, but the smaller surface area meant it was a least better than a window fan at handling a breeze. Still went positive pressure periodically though.

Anyway, the tldr is you most likely will not achieve a consistent negative pressure room in a residential setting without a large centrifugal blower fan. It's probably still a good idea to do with a regular fan, though unfortunately I could see situations where having the window open for a fan actually makes things worse if the prevailing flow is in through that room anyway. Either way it's no substitute for CADR.

EDIT:
Using a fan basically identical to this: https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-OEM-Blower-5-1-8-in-Wheel-1TDR9 In a custom CNC'd bracket to hold it in the window sill and help block any backflow. I achieved normally about -0.110 inches (-27 pascal), with wind gusts routinely pushing it down into the -0.05" (-12 pascal) range.

Rescue Toaster has issued a correction as of 16:01 on Dec 24, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/kniggem/status/1738346317703692744

Maybe it's just me but JN.1 seems to be totally mild

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Perhaps it is us who are mild, and JN.1 is the one with the tools

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Tried Test2Treat in Washington, doctor says I need to call to "finish my intake." Maybe it's just bad luck. Was hoping to bank some Pax before it all gets dumped.

Maybe Maxine Titerski and her Proton Mail will have better luck

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Baddog posted:

Apparently she passed out in the elevator and poo poo herself

she's just like me fr

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steely Dad posted:

Perhaps it is us who are mild, and JN.1 is the one with the tools

Fortunately JN.1 is very generous with the tools and willingly shares an updated nature's vaccine booster.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
"I'm available sporadically today. Please cal me to complete your intake. If you don't reach me by phone then send me a chat."

just gimme the pills please

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Merry Covidmas!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Lonely today? Me & and the thread goons are running a Jackbox hangout. https://discord.gg/Y78MAt4e?event=1187797405983318046

Come say Hey!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Pingui posted:

Merry Covidmas!

and a happy new strain to all

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
going to the mall covid is over

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Pingui posted:

Interesting enough piece, though naturally floral in diction and content. Here merely a highlight of the statistic.

It's Christmas' eve bro.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb2xFvmKWRY

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Woodsy Owl posted:

Tried Test2Treat in Washington, doctor says I need to call to "finish my intake." Maybe it's just bad luck. Was hoping to bank some Pax before it all gets dumped.

Don't worry about the call - we've gotten that request too, and each time it was just a doctor saying "Hi, ______? I'm issuing a prescription for Paxlovid, sorry you got infected, feel better." We never had to answer a single question (one person asked my birthday), I wonder if it's just part of the process in Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Entorwellian posted:

hey sick friend!

doctor told me it was contact dermatitis and that it had nothing to do with covid (had same swelling too) https://x.com/pillowpants1982/status/1736724889489293656?s=46&t=UEzIAf9wq3aI_vRQFA3mmg