Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ROH's women's division is actually alright so I think it has been and continues to be that AEW feels it hasn't put enough effort into its division for it to be able to maintain good quarter hour ratings and simultaneously the investment required to get to that point would be risky with the company not having a sturdy foundation (with regards to their TV deal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pylons posted:

ROH's women's division is actually alright so I think it has been and continues to be that AEW feels it hasn't put enough effort into its division for it to be able to maintain good quarter hour ratings and simultaneously the investment required to get to that point would be risky with the company not having a sturdy foundation (with regards to their TV deal).

its just zaslav lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1738722493681008745

We're so back.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tanahashi's first act as New Japan president is letting Shibata be free you love to see it

(New Japan was never gonna let him in the ring again cause they were afraid he'd died and that's not unreasonable given Misawa and during the Inokism era New Japan had a guy die cause they were lax on brain injuries)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's probably either "Tanahashi gave Shibata NJPW's blessing" or "this was already in the works and the timing is mostly a coincidence", but my headcanon is always going to be that Shibata saw Tanahashi getting all the power and was like "hey Tony gimme a contract."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is there anything indicating Shibata is in danger of dying in the ring other than a previous injury? Is he not 100 percent healed from that?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not like Tana would be adverse to using it to build something up. He used Shibata leaving and returning to New Japan to build tension when it was very likely there was no bas feelings cause Tanahashi first hand knew how poo poo Inokism was and if Inoki didn't get ousted in 06 was probably thinking of leaving himself

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Shard posted:

Is there anything indicating Shibata is in danger of dying in the ring other than a previous injury? Is he not 100 percent healed from that?

I'd imagine he's been cleared by Doctors so he's probably good to go but also it's the type of injury I don't think you ever 100% heal from. And given how Misawa and Plum Mariko died in the ring it's 100% understandable why New Japan doesn't want to let him in the ring

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

"This is the best environment where wrestlers can focus only on fighting in the ring."

oh no they really removed his brain and every time he sees MJF he just blacks out

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't think Billy Gunn gets nearly enough credit for being one of the worst things in current day AEW.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

MJeff posted:

I don't think Billy Gunn gets nearly enough credit for being one of the worst things in current day AEW.

otoh, nick wayne's mom is currently getting extended promo time on cable

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

otoh, nick wayne's mom is currently getting extended promo time on cable

I mean she's not good but it does add something to the act in that it gives Christian something to promo on and lets Nick Wayne stand there being omega smug. Net positive, imo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Tony Khan, probably: why would i ever sign giulia, i have nick wayne's mom already

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Like Vince and the Rock, TK is so terrified of having another Jade Cargill rise from the women's ranks only to leave him, that he will not sign another female wrestler ever again

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

MJeff posted:

his little friends stink rear end too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Him winning one last title was good but it should of been a short reign and this was a chance to get it on a young act that's hot

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I don't think a lifetime contract with Shibata is a very good idea. So what, he's 65, can't wrestle, and you're still paying him? Sounds like a scam

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MJeff posted:

He’s probably the only reason the rear end Boys got so big and tbh I love him for that, I’m a massive fan of those dudes. Putting them in BCG was one of the best decisions Tony’s made in a while imho

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Cmon man. Don’t troll on xmas

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

When they came out to Many Men… that was GOATed!!!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Ohhhh rear end boys.. I like them.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Him winning one last title was good but it should of been a short reign and this was a chance to get it on a young act that's hot

He should have stayed dead from House of Black murdering him

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Should try being an AJPW fan, it's great

Hows that going now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

KungFu Grip posted:

Hows that going now

Great, shut up :(. Up to December 1st 3 of my top 10 matches of the year were in All Japan or feature wrestlers who finished the year with All Japan, & 4 of my top 10. And the rematch of one of those happens on 31st December & will inevitably rule.

Until it goes bad I can just put my head in the sand & pretend whichever jobber comes over from NXT is no different than the latest weird southern indie find like Cyrus.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NXT Japan is going to be cooking

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://x.com/IANdrewDiceClay/status/1738701974260924611?s=20

lmao

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
drat, did the Bucks have a grudge against Sting too

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That's Charlie work

Man that twitter has water on the brain

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 24, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've been to four AEW live events and the merch was abysmal at all four.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's Charlie work

AEW not selling Stink masks isn’t Charlie’s fault

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's Charlie work

How is it "Charlie work" for a merch coordinator to actually coordinate merch

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I love Christian Cage but if that Shayna Wayne promo was on Raw this whole forum would act like it was the worst thing ever

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

What does merch have to do with Sting having a single mask for a segment

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

fart blood posted:

I love Christian Cage but if that Shayna Wayne promo was on Raw this whole forum would act like it was the worst thing ever

Disagreed. The reaction of boos made it great. It wasn't overlong. Nick Wayne was wonderfully smug as was Christian. I really enjoyed it. Perfect pacing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

I've been to four AEW live events and the merch was abysmal at all four.

The Collision before Forbidden Door and Wrestle Dream just had the weakest merch and at Forbidden Door the New Japan merch was better looking

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fart blood posted:

It was too shticky. I get that Christian Cage is one of the more over-the-top characters in AEW, but I think it would've made more sense for her to just be kind of like "what do you want from me, I'm a mother, I have to protect my son. One dude tried to kill him with a chair, the other dude is supporting him and helping him accomplish his dream of being a pro wrestler, I don't really have a choice here." Just, like, put a bit more reality into it instead of the "YOU BOO MEEEEEEE?" stuff.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

MJeff posted:

It was too shticky. I get that Christian Cage is one of the more over-the-top characters in AEW, but I think it would've made more sense for her to just be kind of like "what do you want from me, I'm a mother, I have to protect my son. One dude tried to kill him with a chair, the other dude is supporting him and helping him accomplish his dream of being a pro wrestler, I don't really have a choice here." Just, like, put a bit more reality into it instead of the "YOU BOO MEEEEEEE?" stuff.

I mean, it seems like she's a heel and that's a babyface response you've recommended

E: granted, that's how Cage played it, but I doubt she has the skill to do the classic "heel makes good points!"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

AEW not selling Stink masks isn’t Charlie’s fault

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Shard posted:

Disagreed. The reaction of boos made it great. It wasn't overlong. Nick Wayne was wonderfully smug as was Christian. I really enjoyed it. Perfect pacing

Christian was great.

Shayna was horrible.