Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

NeonPunk posted:

I'm once again begging you to not sleep on Pela. She'll place def shred on the crowd and if needed, she can just remove the buffs in an instant.

Does delfin have Pela? Not everyone does, and they're new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“If you have Pela, build her” should be the first thing anyone is told about Star Rail.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

love her for dealing with the mara struck soldiers

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Bad Video Games posted:

Does delfin have Pela? Not everyone does, and they're new.

I have E2 Pela, but:

1) She's fairly fragile -- one of the hardest units for me to keep upright in a long fight. I have her as 4p Musketeer, 2p Pan-Cosmic at present. She's not fully built out yet, but none of her remaining traces affect survivability stats.

2) I don't know whom I'd replace with her on that team. I need Topaz and Sushang for damage, and I need the double sustain to even come close.

delfin fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 23, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Build Pela with HP, problem solved

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

an hp orb alone gets her to like 3600, simple

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

To expand your relics on your team (not just pela in particular) probably need work, there are sites where you can share images of your support characters’ relics and trace levels (I think there’s that functionality on https://www.mobilemeta.gg/honkai-starrail/app/relic-scorer ) and that would probably be most helpful for people trying to give you advice

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Only downside with Pela is that she's probably the worst character in the game to auto-battle with. She will use her skill every time she can, regardless of whether or not any enemy has a buff.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Don't build Pela as a DPS unit at all. The best way is to put on 4 pieces of wind gear on her because ideally you have a energy regeneration rate tail and when you ult, it'll advance her forward allowing her to build up her ult again

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

qbert posted:

Only downside with Pela is that she's probably the worst character in the game to auto-battle with. She will use her skill every time she can, regardless of whether or not any enemy has a buff.

Silverwolf is wretched this way too. Especially when you already have the right weakness down and she inevitably skills and overwrites it for no goddamn reason at all. But even in mono-quantum I've seen her use the last skill point right before FX's field goes down loving the whole party over.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

NeonPunk posted:

Don't build Pela as a DPS unit at all. The best way is to put on 4 pieces of wind gear on her because ideally you have a energy regeneration rate tail and when you ult, it'll advance her forward allowing her to build up her ult again

I'll agree there. My Pela is focused heavily on ERR, not damage.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Pela's ai is coded for damage. Even her major traces are meant for her to increase her damage. I think she was even viable as a dps in beta?

She just sucks at doing damage.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Silver Wolf is just a much more fun character to use, even if the defense shred is only single target.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Both is good. Just run both.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Not only do you need two teams for MoC, but Defense Shred is the only thing without diminishing returns (until 100%). If she's not throwing off your weakness implant goals, Pela is an excellent teammate for Silver Wolf.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bad Video Games posted:

Pela's ai is coded for damage. Even her major traces are meant for her to increase her damage. I think she was even viable as a dps in beta?

I mean at E6 she's fine if she uses her Skill, but the entire reason you bring her is because she can generate SP and make other people great. In content or situations where SP isn't an issue, she can actually do noticeable damage. She's not Jingliu, but her numbers are respectable. It's sorta like Bronya, where she can do ok numbers but who the hell brings her for those numbers? If you happen to luck into the the right sub-stats after everything is important is done to juice her offense a bit, by all means enjoy the rare cases where Pela gets to go off. Mostly enjoy her drat near 100% uptime on defense shredding.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Captain France posted:

Not only do you need two teams for MoC, but Defense Shred is the only thing without diminishing returns (until 100%). If she's not throwing off your weakness implant goals, Pela is an excellent teammate for Silver Wolf.

Except resistence penetration, which is a straight line with no diminishing returns and actually stronger than def shred with equal values below 90%. For example Ruan Mei's 25% res pen for the team is equivalent to approx 40% def shred. They are in separate parts of the formula though, so you can benefit from both without diminishing returns between them and in the case of the 25% res pen (worth 25%) and 40% def shred (worth 25%) at the same time, would increase damage by 56% not just 50% (and 56% damage increase is also achieved with 70% def shred with no res pen, or uh 56% res pen).

shrach fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 24, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Bad Video Games posted:

All of her eidolons and traces are meant for her to be a damage dealer but her actual numbers got cut off at the knees in beta so she's hopeless at actually killing anything. She remains extremely good because defense shred is just that good and buff purging has niche utility, but it still rankles me that how she operates in a party now is blatantly just completely different from what she was clearly meant to be.

It's kind of sad that the standards and practices of gacha stops character buffs/reworks from typically happening, because I'd love for a bunch of the launch characters who have hosed up traces/eidolons to get a balance pass to bring them more in line with modern characters design-wise, who generally have really good eidolons and traces. It doesn't even need to be straight buffs, just stuff that actually makes sense for them, like Natasha's capstone E6 not being a completely laughable autoattack damage increase that does loving nothing. Characters like Pela and Natasha would benefit hugely.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 24, 2023

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
They've done "core upgrades" in Honkai Impact.
Grind a seperate currency from missions which give character specific upgrade material and it eventually unlocks a completely different set of abilities and a new costume.

They have mostly abandoned this feature and haven't really touched it in 3 or 4 years.
Probably longer.

Nowadays they just do updates through character specific weapons that completely change their functionality. You gotta get these from the equipment gacha and they naturally have a dozen paragraphs of text. Looks like a mess.

I don't really think that Star Rail or Genshin will ever do stuff like that. They are too successful just doing what they have been doing. No real reason to do anything about old characters. New conditional or specific relic sets could end up being a huge benefit, though. They do that in Genshin all the time.
You could ask for it in surveys or whatever.

My Pela is doing fine damage wise since I'm running Good Night And Sleep Well. I was wondering whether Welts LC would be an upgrade since I'm gonna be able to afford that after the next banner.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

shrach posted:

Except resistence penetration, which is a straight line with no diminishing returns and actually stronger than def shred with equal values below 90%. For example Ruan Mei's 25% res pen for the team is equivalent to approx 40% def shred. They are in separate parts of the formula though, so you can benefit from both without diminishing returns between them and in the case of the 25% res pen (worth 25%) and 40% def shred (worth 25%) at the same time, would increase damage by 56% not just 50% (and 56% damage increase is also achieved with 70% def shred with no res pen, or uh 56% res pen).

Which is why she will be the first limited character that I'm trying to pull for her eidolons. She could hypercarry a party all on her own.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Adding a new system to upgrade the basic abilities of older characters IS standard gacha practice. Genshin and Star Rail are the only ones I'm aware of that don't do it in some fashion, although I guess Star Rail's too young to really consider it yet. Don't go blaming standard gacha practice for what is clearly a Mihoyo problem.

Edit: Admittedly, such a thing probably wouldn't buff their existing eidolons and traces so much as add completely new equivalents.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 24, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Adding a new system to upgrade the basic abilities of older characters IS standard gacha practice. Genshin and Star Rail are the only ones I'm aware of that don't do it in some fashion, although I guess Star Rail's too young to really consider it yet. Don't go blaming standard gacha practice for what is clearly a Mihoyo problem.

Edit: Admittedly, such a thing probably wouldn't buff their existing eidolons and traces so much as add completely new equivalents.
According to leakers, Hoyo's systems design is all done by one guy they keep chained up in the basement, who can only escape to collaborate with the rest of the studio on the night of the full moon.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Clarste posted:

Genshin does this through artifacts and extremely specific support characters. Xiao's artifact set and Mika for Eula, etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That's not upgrading basic abilities. It's a less targeted approach since it also affects every other character who might benefit from those sets and synergies, so there's more of a limit on what they can do with it. Including limiting the design space for future characters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In Star Rail terms, what could you do to make Natasha better that wouldn't also, for example, make Lynx better? Single target heals, aoe ults, hots... you can't do anything too generic. And if you go too specific, like "healers that deal physical damage" then that prevents you from ever making a physical healer ever again, without requiring them to be balanced around the same sets or synergies. It is an extremely different solution from just buffing Natasha.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The most Mihoyo solution I can think of is to give us a character-specific set of relics. These can only be equipped by the appropriate character and, of course, share a Cavern of Corrosion with a character you don't give a hoot about (probably Arlan, whose relic set completely fails to redeem him in any way). And they can still roll the full range of main stats, so you'll get Crit Damage chest pieces for your Natasha 80% of the time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They already made a relic set to buff underperforming characters it's called the Grand Duke set and it made Himeko bonkers

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Which also buffed Jing Yuan, and thus isn't a targeted buff to only Himeko? I really don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't really see any changes Nat and Pela need? They're fine in their lanes. The only standard character who needs some kind of buff is Bailu. Let her cleanse!

The Grand Duke and the Prisoner set are direct upgrades to 2 of the weakest archetypes, follow ups and dots. Especially being released with Topaz and directly before Ratio and Black Swan.

Arlan already had his upgrade. It's the hp set that released with Messenger. With March's shields he can actually hold his own in a hypercarry, though it's difficult to use Bronya.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Yanqing catching more strays by not even being considered possibly redeemable.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Are there any characters able to deploy Barriers like those traffic light Belobog robots? I wonder if Yanqing is redeemable by giving him a FGO-style no-sell buff.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yanqing is fine. He's the strongest standard hunt character in the game. It's more that Hunt just sucks as a path for MoC except for Seele and Topaz, and Topaz is more often used as a second dps.

Any buff to Yanqing needs to be a buff to Hunt as a whole because no one wants to use Hunt when endgame is tailored to aoe. Maybe we'll start to see a shift back to better single target hypercarry styles once Ratio is released, but probably not for long.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really think the reasons why Yanqing kind of sucks has anything to do with the Path itself?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

misread, nvm

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Honestly as long as you're running him with Gepard he looks fine enough. He seems more like a gimmicky situational 4-star than a 5-star, sure, but he doesn't look completely unusable. I still wouldn't want him to break my pity, but if that does end up happening I can see myself running Gepard/Ruan Mei/Yanqing/some Erudition to clear mobs if the boss is weak to ice

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

As alluded to, there are two separate problems with Yanqing. A) Single target dps isn't very useful anyway, as most situations where you want more dps will have at least 2 targets. This makes Hunt characters just kind of worse than Destruction characters in the only content people care about. B) Yanqing is just kinda worse than Seele and Topaz, the other 5* Hunts, because he requires special conditions just to keep up.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Bad Video Games posted:

Yanqing is fine. He's the strongest standard hunt character in the game. It's more that Hunt just sucks as a path for MoC except for Seele and Topaz, and Topaz is more often used as a second dps.
He's the only standard hunt character so that isn't really saying anything. I started playing after the PS5 release and got yanqing off the beginner banner, then my first character banner 5 star was losing a 50/50 to yanqing E1. He is a worse DPS than my e1 qinque and his damage is both dependent on the enemy being ice weak and him not getting hit ever which is a huge problem in a game where bosses love to do aoe attacks if you don't have gepard. He rises to the level of mediocre if you can jump through all his hoops but it's just not worth it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

unless you buff Yanqing directly any tool you give him will just make Jingliu even more insane

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Bad Video Games posted:

Yanqing is fine. He's the strongest standard hunt character in the game.

I have an e6 Sushang that consistently performs way better than my e0s1 Yanqing even ignoring that she's easier to slot into teams. I feel like an e0 five star and an e6 four star should be somewhat comparable. I've tried to make the kid work but even against ice weak things with March keeping him safe and Pela improving his ice damage, I'm better off using anyone else. It's kind of frustrating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

imweasel09 posted:

He's the only standard hunt character so that isn't really saying anything. I started playing after the PS5 release and got yanqing off the beginner banner, then my first character banner 5 star was losing a 50/50 to yanqing E1. He is a worse DPS than my e1 qinque and his damage is both dependent on the enemy being ice weak and him not getting hit ever which is a huge problem in a game where bosses love to do aoe attacks if you don't have gepard. He rises to the level of mediocre if you can jump through all his hoops but it's just not worth it.

Which is pretty much my point. Yanqing was good in 1.0 and 1.1 because MoC was more lenient for single target dps. It was still very aoe focused, but you had more cycles and a more relaxed cycle limit. Yanqing was a great unit if you weren't pulling for Seele or Jing Yuan.

His flaws do suck though, but can be played around with Gepard or even March. We do need another Preservation unit who can actually make shields, but I'm not sure how to make that unique compared to the others.