Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Neal Stephensen was a prophet

E: a shameful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I was looking at cars with my wife the other day. I'm a tall lanky poo poo, my wife is short. So with our one car policy we often have to make seat adjustments, no problem takes 2 seconds.

Except with a lot of the new cars having electric seat adjustments, It takes about 500% longer. Why is this seen as an improvement? What is a button and motor solving here?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mega Comrade posted:

I was looking at cars with my wife the other day. I'm a tall lanky poo poo, my wife is short. So with our one car policy we often have to make seat adjustments, no problem takes 2 seconds.

Except with a lot of the new cars having electric seat adjustments, It takes about 500% longer. Why is this seen as an improvement? What is a button and motor solving here?

Two things, though I'll be the first to say neither are critical:

- Microadjustments. I've owned at least one car where the tilt of the seatback was never quite right, it was either leaning too far back or too upright. The same can be true of the forward/back, how close you are to the pedals and steering wheel, I'd assume.
- Saved profiles, if you have multiple drivers frequently sharing a car. I know a couple with 2 kids, and they had a third vehicle as their designated "whole family is coming" vehicle, so they didn't have to swap car sets. Depending on the event, sometimes the husband drove, sometimes the wife. This made it pretty seamless for them to switch off if one decided to have a drink with dinner or something.

That said, heated seats in a cold climate are far and away the best use of electricity in the seat of the car. I haven't been in a car with cooled seats but I'm interested to hear how effective it is.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Mega Comrade posted:

Well the real poo poo is when they have customizable presets so you hold down the 1 button and everything goes to exactly how you like it and your wife holds 2 and it goes to exactly how she likes it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Shooting Blanks posted:

That said, heated seats in a cold climate are far and away the best use of electricity in the seat of the car. I haven't been in a car with cooled seats but I'm interested to hear how effective it is.

Sheepskin seat covers are a couple of hundred bucks and don't break down.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I was going to say "if in doubt about a pressure cooker, just get an Instant Pot because it does all the stuff without any bullshit", but then I looked it up and now some of their models have wifi bullshit in them, so I guess not those ones.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The best pressure cooker is a big ol’ pot that you put on the stove, with a locking lid and a weight that sit atop the lid’s chimney to control pressure.

There’s nothing to go wrong.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 24, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My mum has a pressure cooker that's at least 30 years old, I doubt most of the modern electric ones would last 10.
She also has a slow cooker that's about 20. It's plug fuse has been replaced once but other than that still works perfectly.

I used to love tech. But as I got older I started realising it's all so shoddily made and it's not me who's benefiting from having to replace stuff every few years.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

I used to love tech. But as I got older I started realising it's all so shoddily made and it's not me who's benefiting from having to replace stuff every few years.
There’s various “buy it once” / “buy it for life” communities and websites etc that can be good for finding products with either a lifetime warranty or that are repairable. Being non-disposable is a niche feature 😔

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mega Comrade posted:

With the exception of safety and fuel consumption (and it's not that bad) I think my car made in 1990 is superior and nicer to drive. Also it looks a lot better too.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Mega Comrade posted:

Any decent car these days (or in the last decade, my first car that had this was a 2008 model) has multiple seat preset profiles you can save preferences to. So when you swap drivers you just press a button for 3 seconds and the seat goes to your exact preferences.

The electric motors give way more customisable options than the ancient manual adjustment car seats had, its much better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BRJurgis posted:

Wonder where that line is, where gadget is bad.

I like alcohol, but I'd need internet/books to learn to safely make cider beer liquor w/e. That or learning from people you know.

Digging holes is timeless, but doing it by hand? I want a shovel!

Seems so dumb it's not worth saying, I know. A contemporary question though.

For me it's as simple as a gadget, device or appliance being connected to the internet or something when it absolutely doesn't have to be. Making a "smart" toaster, blender, hairdryer or vacuum cleaner just for the sake of it that not only drives up the price but creates more chances for them to break is something I find frustrating.

Just because it CAN, doesn't mean it should.

It's like those screens that are replacing regular windows on beverage coolers which display images of coke, gatorade and beer. Was looking through the glass a problem that needed solving? And often, the picture doesn't even accurately display what's inside. Looking for a gatorade and when you open the fridge it's red bull and poo poo.

Blut posted:

Any decent car these days (or in the last decade, my first car that had this was a 2008 model) has multiple seat preset profiles you can save preferences to. So when you swap drivers you just press a button for 3 seconds and the seat goes to your exact preferences.

The electric motors give way more customisable options than the ancient manual adjustment car seats had, its much better.

Man, what a huge time saver.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 24, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol electric seat adjustment is like 50 year old tech by now.

They do have some advantages but manual work well enough too and won't break so ehh

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Electric chairs are made to kill people and you'd all do well to remember that. :colbert:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mega Comrade posted:

My mum has a pressure cooker that's at least 30 years old, I doubt most of the modern electric ones would last 10.
She also has a slow cooker that's about 20. It's plug fuse has been replaced once but other than that still works perfectly.

Planned obsolescence goes back to the early 1900s when lightbulb manufacturers got together and agreed not to make bulbs that last too much longer than the competition. But ultimately it's a flaw with capitalism, because a company that sells a product to its customers exactly once and never again is considered a failure, even if they manage to sell to everyone on the planet who might want one.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Roadie posted:

I was going to say "if in doubt about a pressure cooker, just get an Instant Pot because it does all the stuff without any bullshit", but then I looked it up and now some of their models have wifi bullshit in them, so I guess not those ones.

They got Toys R Us’d.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Roadie posted:

You don't actually need to draw a comparison here. Much like Pyrex, they got Corelle'd

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

bawk posted:

You don't actually need to draw a comparison here. Much like Pyrex, they got Corelle'd

Hah fair. I remember hearing complaints even as a kid in the 90s so I just assumed any changes to their process was self inflicted to save money or something. “Regular” capitalism, if you will.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Knowing that the modern economy brutally punished Instant Pot for making a product that the customer can just buy once and use for a very long time without needing to keep buying upgrades, accessories, subscriptions, etc. is always good for a chuckle.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Shrecknet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gv_Uil_62k

Anarcho-Primitivism is, in fact, a dead-end ideology but Anprims are very funny, like people who took one look at Luddites and took every wrong lesson from it.

I wasn't familiar with anprims, but I might like them more than that skinny dweeb! I mean take a look around, I think the suggestion we should have stayed living in relative harmony with the earth has a lot of merit! The unga-bunga stuff was kinda funny, but its hard to argue for the course we're on.

Like not only are we far away from living as part of nature, we've all but made it an impossibility. The systems we've built destroy the future, but we have made sure we also cannot do without them. The idea we can no longer live naturally or sustainably is horrifying to me. And nobody at the wheel but the dollar. The market is the sole power, the only incentive behind force we wield as a species. A short sighted self destructive path that nobody claims responsibility for.

BiggerBoat posted:

For me it's as simple as a gadget, device or appliance being connected to the internet or something when it absolutely doesn't have to be. Making a "smart" toaster, blender, hairdryer or vacuum cleaner just for the sake of it that not only drives up the price but creates more chances for them to break is something I find frustrating.

Just because it CAN, doesn't mean it should.

It's like those screens that are replacing regular windows on beverage coolers which display images of coke, gatorade and beer. Was looking through the glass a problem that needed solving? And often, the picture doesn't even accurately display what's inside. Looking for a gatorade and when you open the fridge it's red bull and poo poo.

Man, what a huge time saver.

Yeah! And yeah to sentiment against making everything electric. drat electric seat button broke in our work truck, and my very short coworker had been driving it. I couldn't even get into the driver seat to move the thing. I resent needing a vehicle and hate working on them, but my dad taught me how (foreseeing my future at the bottom of the economic totem pole), yet it becomes increasingly impossible to fix vehicles yourself.

Control and consolidation in the name of stability and profit is no innovation. Look at the internet before mainstream social media. We cannot be trusted with control. Let us welcome chaos.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 24, 2023

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol electric seat adjustment is like 50 year old tech by now.

They do have some advantages but manual work well enough too and won't break so ehh

If you think non-electrical seats can't break, you've not ridden in an old piece of poo poo car your friend got for a deal off craig's list.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The problem with Anprims is that their philosophy leaves billions to die from famine, lack of medical treatment, and other avoidable causes. The earth can't sustain eight billion people with natural methods, we need mechanical agriculture or people starve. To say nothing of the people who need medicine for heart disease, diabetes, kidney problems, etc. It's a vile philosophy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Roadie posted:

Instant Pot got bought out by venture capital earlier a few years ago, and "just making a really good electric pressure cooker" wasn't enough for the new owners. As sales declined (once someone's bought a really good pressure cooker, they don't need another one for a while), the new owners forced the company into blowing tons of money on trying to diversify its offerings, not only adding all sorts of useless features no one wanted to the pots but also trying to expand into other types of kitchen appliances.

Naturally, Instant Blenders and Instant Toasters were unable to recapture the viral success of the Instant Pot, and plowing all that money into doomed products finally drove Instant Pot into bankruptcy earlier this year.

:rip:

While not really specifically a tech thing, it's a great example of the way current investor trends have been impacted by the tech industry. The Instant Pot company could have survived its declining sales by cutting costs and focusing on a survivable profit margin on the stuff it was already making. It's not like the sales were going to drop all the way to zero. But instead, the venture capital owners made risky bets on infinite growth, wasting more money than the company could really afford to spend on ill-advised attempts at reselling new products to existing customers and breaking out into new markets. In the end, they drove the company into the ground.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

The problem with Anprims is that their philosophy leaves billions to die from famine, lack of medical treatment, and other avoidable causes. The earth can't sustain eight billion people with natural methods, we need mechanical agriculture or people starve. To say nothing of the people who need medicine for heart disease, diabetes, kidney problems, etc. It's a vile philosophy.

Only just learned the term (and don't want to start a derail too removed from tech discussion), but is it so vile? Our systems already necessitate massive suffering and death. Geopolitical rivalries see us do untold damage in a doomed arms race to extract all resources before somebody else does, in the name of profit, control, supremacy. Its not for us, not for me.. Our own comfort and longevity is levied to justify genocide, the destruction of indigenous peoples and natural environments. Again and again. How many billions will die from the effects of climate change, only to leave a world where our amazing advancements are no longer accessible or possible for what amount of our global population can even be sustained on a planet far less hospitable to life as we know it? In a country with massive wealth and and culture of excessive consumption, people still die of preventable diseases, hunger, exposure, because nobody profits from caring for them.

I would weigh the cost of no longer having this against the cost of continuing it, I'd press that plunger every time knowing i would burn too. I don't think it's vile or incoherent.

It needn't be a black and white all or nothing scenario, but when we are so astray and seemingly unwilling to correct in any meaningful way, that threat is important. An attitude of being willing to do without it would be necessary to challenge it, or to help us survive its inevitable collapse.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 24, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

withak posted:

Knowing that the modern economy brutally punished Instant Pot for making a product that the customer can just buy once and use for a very long time without needing to keep buying upgrades, accessories, subscriptions, etc. is always good for a chuckle.

They got bought by Corelle in 2019, who was acquired by Cornell Capital in 2017.

They declared bankruptcy 2 years later, saying that their capital improvements weren't paying off. The press release I posted has the Cornell Capital flack mentions the word growth three times in his quote.

Framing it as Instant Pot's failure is one way to view it but another is that private investors demanded number go up and forced a profitable business into bankruptcy in search of constant growth

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

BRJurgis posted:

Only just learned the term (and don't want to start a derail too removed from tech discussion), but is it so vile?

I like seeing and/or not having been thrown into a river at birth when people saw my eyes are cloudy. AnPrim is a vile ideology. The rest of your post is reasonable and is not in line with what the vast majority of AnPrim's advocate for. We've probably gone too far in many areas and capitalism absolutely makes people completely give up stewardship of nature in search of profits. But that doesn't mean we should return to the bush

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BRJurgis posted:

Only just learned the term (and don't want to start a derail too removed from tech discussion), but is it so vile? [...] An attitude of being willing to do without it would be necessary to challenge it, or to help us survive its inevitable collapse.

As a disabled person and one of the ones who would die, you first.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BRJurgis posted:

Only just learned the term (and don't want to start a derail too removed from tech discussion), but is it so vile? Our systems already necessitate massive suffering and death. Geopolitical rivalries see us do untold damage in a doomed arms race to extract all resources before somebody else does, in the name of profit, control, supremacy. Its not for us, not for me.. Our own comfort and longevity is levied to justify genocide, the destruction of indigenous peoples and natural environments. Again and again. How many billions will die from the effects of climate change, only to leave a world where our amazing advancements are no longer accessible or possible for what amount of our global population can even be sustained on a planet far less hospitable to life as we know it? In a country with massive wealth and and culture of excessive consumption, people still die of preventable diseases, hunger, exposure, because nobody profits from caring for them.

I would weigh the cost of no longer having this against the cost of continuing it, I'd press that plunger every time knowing i would burn too. I don't think it's vile or incoherent.

It needn't be a black and white all or nothing scenario, but when we are so astray and seemingly unwilling to correct in any meaningful way, that threat is important. An attitude of being willing to do without it would be necessary to challenge it, or to help us survive its inevitable collapse.

To be fair, we were perfectly fine with doing genocide even from the stone age, and capable of it as well. There are mass grave sites of entire groups of people murdered with stone tools. Things possibly being better doesn't mean that they couldn't also be worse.

This is relevant to the fact that the ideology means that your relatively distant neighbors who aren't trying to live a primitive or anarcho-commune lifestyle will probably decide that your land actually belongs to them, and if you don't like it here's a gun to discuss that with. Also, you are now their property, direct questions to same gun.

It's easy to romanticize the past if you look past all the flaws.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 24, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Platystemon posted:

The best pressure cooker is a big ol’ pot that you put on the stove, with a locking lid and a weight that sit atop the lid’s chimney to control pressure.
I'm disabled, and being able to cook while sitting down is a luxury.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
An prim is way off base for the reasons listed, but I have the sense that humans generally would be happier in lifestyles that more fit what our natural history adapted us to. That doesn't mean abandoning tech, medicine, or farming, but it probably means building a society where we arent sitting in traffic or an office all day every day. There's a tremendous amount of woo around the 'back to nature' stuff and obviously the reactionary/grift hydra has its tentacles thoughout that space, but threading that needle in a way that keeps tech while rejecting consumerism could have huge benefits.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've just never gotten to the point in my life where "adjusting my car seat" was any kind of major inconvenience or serious time sink and I'm pretty old so I've had manual and electric controls. When I got an electric one, I never went "WOW! This is loving great. Wish it had PRESETS!" My seat controlling experience in my automotive life has remained largely worry free.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

I've just never gotten to the point in my life where "adjusting my car seat" was any kind of major inconvenience or serious time sink and I'm pretty old so I've had manual and electric controls. When I got an electric one, I never went "WOW! This is loving great. Wish it had PRESETS!" My seat controlling experience in my automotive life has remained largely worry free.

How often do people gently caress with your seat position? I get to slowly unfurl from the very short distance that it was set to last time, because a smaller person drove it last

Nearly

Every

Time

If I had an automatic seat adjuster that would be EXTREMELY convenient for me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

duz posted:

If you think non-electrical seats can't break, you've not ridden in an old piece of poo poo car your friend got for a deal off craig's list.
I HAVE an old piece of poo poo car I got off Craigslist for like $600, but the seats work fine (gearbox bearings were shot though)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Volmarias posted:

How often do people gently caress with your seat position?

Very VERY rarely. And when they do/did, back when I was married to a short woman, it took me all of like 10 seconds to put it right and fix my mirrors. I suppose I'm the minority where this was never a serious issue. Or I am just an expert seat and mirror adjuster. I was never late for work because it took too long or experienced ramps or back pain because I couldn't nail it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Very VERY rarely. And when they do/did, back when I was married to a short woman, it took me all of like 10 seconds to put it right and fix my mirrors. I suppose I'm the minority where this was never a serious issue. Or I am just an expert seat and mirror adjuster. I was never late for work because it took too long or experienced ramps or back pain because I couldn't nail it.

Trust me, it's one of those little "hell is other people" annoyances that I should ignore but can't.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Volmarias posted:

How often do people gently caress with your seat position? I get to slowly unfurl from the very short distance that it was set to last time, because a smaller person drove it last

Nearly

Every

Time

If I had an automatic seat adjuster that would be EXTREMELY convenient for me.

I recall brands in the early 2000's that had a preset assigned to each key fob, but I don't know if that remained the case.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

BiggerBoat posted:

My wife and I have come to an agreement that we can move the electric seats forwards and backwards but we don't mess with the height or pitch of each other's vehicles. Once her car dies we will get one with individual fixed settings.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Thanks for the responses, and largely not doing this-

Agents are GO! posted:

As a disabled person and one of the ones who would die, you first.

For one thing, yeah me first. I wouldn't be alive without modern medicine and likely wouldn't last many winters without it. I don't want to die, I don't want you or other disabled people to die. What we have built, however, is unsustsinable, unconscionable. We should endeavor to be strong enough go change it, and I don't see how that happens without a willingness to sacrifice. I hope to be strong enough to take care of myself and those around me for as long as possible. I'm not some doomsday prepper thinking my big alpha male dick is gonna see me ruling a post industrial dystopia after we're rid of the "weak". It's not about ME, it's about correcting our course to save our only planet.

For some lame pop culture explanations, sylvie in Loki who is willing, insistent even, on destroying the status quo and its systemic assembly line injustice and inhumanity, to her own death. Things might get worse, but they can't get better until things change.

How about in Andor? Prisoners staging an escape knowing the guards will attempt to indescriminately kill every one of them? Or when they agitate the fascists KNOWING they will brutally crack down, knowing people will die.

People in real life right now fight against vastly more powerful forces knowing the cost will be great and they'll likely die. Historically that's how things changed. Did democracy bring about the new deal, civil rights, women's suffrage? People held a sword to the system, they were arrested and beaten and killed. Stability and profit were threatened. Yet as our systems grow more entrenched even taking to the streets is becoming inadequate. Hostages to our own comfort.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm the same, I'm a foot and a half taller than my wife and it never crossed my mind that manually adjusting seat and mirrors was an inconvenience. I wasn't aware that cars had presets and stuff and wouldn't pay for it given the choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BRJurgis posted:

Thanks for the responses, and largely not doing this-

For one thing, yeah me first. I wouldn't be alive without modern medicine and likely wouldn't last many winters without it. I don't want to die, I don't want you or other disabled people to die. What we have built, however, is unsustsinable, unconscionable. We should endeavor to be strong enough go change it, and I don't see how that happens without a willingness to sacrifice. I hope to be strong enough to take care of myself and those around me for as long as possible. I'm not some doomsday prepper thinking my big alpha male dick is gonna see me ruling a post industrial dystopia after we're rid of the "weak". It's not about ME, it's about correcting our course to save our only planet.

For some lame pop culture explanations, sylvie in Loki who is willing, insistent even, on destroying the status quo and its systemic assembly line injustice and inhumanity, to her own death. Things might get worse, but they can't get better until things change.

How about in Andor? Prisoners staging an escape knowing the guards will attempt to indescriminately kill every one of them? Or when they agitate the fascists KNOWING they will brutally crack down, knowing people will die.

People in real life right now fight against vastly more powerful forces knowing the cost will be great and they'll likely die. Historically that's how things changed. Did democracy bring about the new deal, civil rights, women's suffrage? People held a sword to the system, they were arrested and beaten and killed. Stability and profit were threatened. Yet as our systems grow more entrenched even taking to the streets is becoming inadequate. Hostages to our own comfort.
We get it. You're a depressed libertarian.

Get some therapy instead of fantasizing about mass suicide.

AnPrim is just school shooter philosophy applied to the entire human race.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 24, 2023