Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Eej posted:

Go full Tsarist classist bullshit. White primary colour, gold accent, red cloth. This horse is worth more and more beloved than these piss filled peasants it leads.

My partner is pushing me to paint the horse like my tanks, that is pretty close to white, it would match something else in the army.

A horse isn't a tank though, but I think it could still work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Virtual Russian posted:

My partner is pushing me to paint the horse like my tanks, that is pretty close to white, it would match something else in the army.

Your partner is right

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's a very heavily armored horse. Normally the natural colors of the horse would be dominant, but not in this case.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

That settles that I guess. I'll be able to get a nice big "v" decal on each side of the hindquarters armor now. The off-white is a much better background.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

[Assault on Black Reach] was a loving excellent starter set, though I'm probably biased cause it was my first.

it was a good one, and they've basically all been like that one ever since that one

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Virtual Russian posted:

How did you do this? I want to add some tanks to my white/bone marine army, and my dreadnoughts haven't been quite right

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
crossposted from the mini painting thread

Cease to Hope posted:

eye know what you mean

this is my chaos eyecon for my possessed

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/24/the-advent-engine-24th-december-2023/

Well, can't be a teaser without some Space Marines. Looks like the Dark Angels are going to get even more toys.

And it looks like it's also teasing a reveal of sorts on the 9th.
Beyond what they're seemingly also doing this week.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
Eh just more Rumour Engine. Nothing too crazy, hopefully the next couple days are better

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

What's the largest imperial/astartes/chaos tank? I'm trying to find an equivalent footprint for this roided out IW Sturmtiger which is sitting a LxWxH of 8.5"x7"x3.5"

I might add a custom 1" rectangle base so 10.5"x9" might be the optimal measurements to compare with.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
A Baneblade

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Demilich posted:

What's the largest imperial/astartes/chaos tank? I'm trying to find an equivalent footprint for this roided out IW Sturmtiger which is sitting a LxWxH of 8.5"x7"x3.5"

I might add a custom 1" rectangle base so 10.5"x9" might be the optimal measurements to compare with.

the largest plastic model kit is the baneblade. a baneblade and all the variants fit in a 9.5x7.1x4.25" rectangular spaced not counting the extra length from some of the barrels. a marine fellblade is resin but about the same size.

in resin, the gorgon carrier is just a little bit bigger, and the astraeus and mastodon are a fair bit bigger but i don't know the exact dimensions.

the astraeus is the biggest 40K SM tank and i think the largest overall. the mastodon is the biggest 30K SM tank, and is legends in 40K for SM and CSM. the gorgon is a little larger than the baneblade, and available to solar aux and militia in 30K and IG as legends in 40K.

after that is 30K plastics, all of which are 30K SM and legends for SM and CSM in 40K. the spartan is 7.5x4.75x3.25" (without the sponsons), and the typhon and cerberus are the same tank but with a cannon on front. the 2008 land raider is the largest 40K SM and CSM plastic tank, and 7x4x2.75".

the biggest tanks are 30K admech. the ordinatus tanks are about 14x7x6.5" (with the sponsons), and they don't have 40K rules at all.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Virtual Russian posted:

yeah, that is what I mean, digital sculpting is still very new, it isn't a GW problem. Most artists get carried away because you can do more detail, and that detail is much finer than what you can do with traditional methods.

A lot of artists making stuff for 3d printing do this, but I think it's because they're trying to make their preview images stand out, to make it look like they've put more effort in inscribing details than just called it a day at nicely rounded or flat armour.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Eediot Jedi posted:

A lot of artists making stuff for 3d printing do this, but I think it's because they're trying to make their preview images stand out, to make it look like they've put more effort in inscribing details than just called it a day at nicely rounded or flat armour.

I would honestly mind the extra detail less if they say least make things thick enough. Think little swords, spikes, and fingers are just completely useless and either warp or break way too frequently.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

Too many put a ton of detail without accounting for the fact that it's so fine to be unprintable at 28mm scale. Looks great on the render but a mushy mess when printed. You almost have to look for renders that appear somewhat cartoony to get decent details on the print.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Cease to Hope posted:

the largest plastic model kit is the baneblade. a baneblade and all the variants fit in a 9.5x7.1x4.25" rectangular spaced not counting the extra length from some of the barrels. a marine fellblade is resin but about the same size.

in resin, the gorgon carrier is just a little bit bigger, and the astraeus and mastodon are a fair bit bigger but i don't know the exact dimensions.

the astraeus is the biggest 40K SM tank and i think the largest overall. the mastodon is the biggest 30K SM tank, and is legends in 40K for SM and CSM. the gorgon is a little larger than the baneblade, and available to solar aux and militia in 30K and IG as legends in 40K.

after that is 30K plastics, all of which are 30K SM and legends for SM and CSM in 40K. the spartan is 7.5x4.75x3.25" (without the sponsons), and the typhon and cerberus are the same tank but with a cannon on front. the 2008 land raider is the largest 40K SM and CSM plastic tank, and 7x4x2.75".

the biggest tanks are 30K admech. the ordinatus tanks are about 14x7x6.5" (with the sponsons), and they don't have 40K rules at all.

Excellent thank youl
I went and found this (pulled from various reddits) in case anyone else needs it:
Astraeus: 11.5 inches long, 8 inches wide.
Mastodon: "About 11.5" long, 6.5" wide at the back (about 8 if you include the rear sponsons sticking out) and 5" high at the back (6 if you include the gatling gun

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Looks like a new Belial mini and the Lion's Inner Circle got leaked on Reddit.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I like the Inner Circle, they feel like a nice mix of the Fallen/DA Vet metal models and the Bladeguard, but not as absurdly overdesigned as the Bladeguard.

Belial sure is a Terminator Captain!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Don’t post a link or anything

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
is the battle of macrage reprint just gw testing what amount people will order MTO anything

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It’s a good question, maybe trying to figure out where “nostalgia money” is for 40k now that the old world money tap is a few weeks from flowing.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure these made-to-order things are just them filling out blank spots on their manufacturing schedule. "We have a couple of days in January where we're not running the injection molding machines on anything new, what can we fill that time with?" sort of thing. It's very difficult, bordering on impossible, to manage a production pipeline so that absolutely everything from concept work to CAD work to manufacturing to packaging to shipping all lines up so that everything is running at full capacity twelve months a year every year forever; there's going to be gaps. Some of those gaps are going to be in places where something like a made-to-order run of a classic product can be slotted in, and that's better than having days where nothing is being produced but the people who work the machines are still coming in to work.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 25, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
me, a smart rear end: maybe they should just take time to print some more sagitaurs, exocrines and maleceptors

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Collecting/buying rant: I got into 40k by the tail end of 9th (so I'm still a beginner) by buying a fairly complete second-hand army (Grey Knights) and recently I've bought another one (Custodes). I've been consuming a lot of media recently, and Brad from Poorhammer throws around the same idea every time he talks about space marines: That they are the subscription service of 40k, basically a trap, and you know what, I think he's partially right.

I'm tempted to collect Dark Angels when the new refreshed models are released, because I'm a dumb idiot with an insatiable lust for terminators and I like to play with the armies I have, not only painting/collecting. However, when I think it carefully, actually playing them it's a devil's bargain. They have the biggest range in existence, and they will always be shifting what's usable and what not, getting new releases constantly and "forcing you" into the plastic treadmill, which is a practice I honestly despise. Also, a lot of units in their range are bland or minor variations of each other (yeah, I know my current armies are all variations of big dumb idiot in armor as well, stfu). All of this is why I'm subconsciously attracted to factions with tiny ranges like Custodes, GK, Thousand Sons and such, even when they are really limiting for you gameplay-wise.

This is my stupid rant for the day. Happy Christmas everyone!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Angry Lobster posted:

Brad from Poorhammer throws around the same idea every time he talks about space marines: That they are the subscription service of 40k, basically a trap, and you know what, I think he's partially right.

It’s true, but also there’s a reason why marines are iconic and sell really well… they’re cool! Everyone has at least one marine army in the closet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just play armies with lots of units that are all Old As Hell. You'll never be bored playing Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, Tyranids or Orks.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

more like DORK angels, amirite?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

coelomate posted:

It’s true, but also there’s a reason why marines are iconic and sell really well… they’re cool! Everyone has at least one marine army in the closet.

Agreed, I'm very tempted to pick the coolest units and use them as a hobby army.

Eej posted:

Just play armies with lots of units that are all Old As Hell. You'll never be bored playing Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, Tyranids or Orks.

Right now I can't, maybe in the future, gently caress this hobby so much cool poo poo to do and so little time/space/money.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They should've just shown off the Kroot instead of the most boring Space Marine chapter. :colbert:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Looks like a new Belial mini and the Lion's Inner Circle got leaked on Reddit.

That would explain them posting the article waaay ahead of time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cooked Auto posted:

They should've just shown off the Kroot instead of the most boring Space Marine chapter. :colbert:

That's not an Iron Hand or Salamander though??

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eej posted:

That reminds me I should buy some warp spiders before they get replaced, it'll be fun to have models older than I am.

Comedy outome: I do and the warp spiders continue to not be replaced next year.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Companions are pretty much exactly what I wanted, being almost explicitly The Risen and a unit of robed, important looking DAs that can be converted into Lieutenants as well.

Upgrade sprue looks to do a lot and save on all the separate releases I had envisioned like new Ravenwing bikes, a separate regular Deathwing box and so on. But the doesn't seem to be a way to make a Deathwing command squad any more? Also curious they seem to have stuck Azrael and the existing Primaris Lieutenant heads in there.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Eej posted:

That's not an Iron Hand or Salamander though??

bizarre that you managed to misspell Imperial Fists and Raven Guard that badly???

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Is this some kind of in-joke I don't get? Aren't Ultramarines designed to be the "most boring", by being the standard/generic design that all the other chapters are visual deviations from?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Ultramarines take the heat for it but them, raven guard, iron hands and imperial fists are all equally :effort:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
won't you all feel silly when I correctly point out that all space marines are equally boring

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

If they really won't release the Judiciar on its own then the Companion holding the censer isn't a bad starting point for a conversion.

I have 10-15 barely used Deathwing terminators that I may sell and get the new bundle box if the value is good/attainable. Belial isn't mind-blowing but a big improvement on his old posing and the Knights are a must buy anyway.

I think Ravenwing Primaris speeders are the only obvious gap in the range now?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Don't think I like the burgundy cape liner here, or the robes.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Boy howdy, conversion bits for outriders so they don't suck rear end. Let's see what it is.....

Oh well. The terminator bits are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

Cooked Auto posted:

That would explain them posting the article waaay ahead of time.

It’s also Christmas

ro5s posted:

Ultramarines take the heat for it but them, raven guard, iron hands and imperial fists are all equally :effort:

I love my salamanders but there’s a certain charm to guys with robot arms being called the iron hands, after their leader, Iron Hands, and his iron hands. It’s very “bad company, by the band bad company, off the album bad company” energy.