Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the Shanya Wayne promo works given the setup of the feud and also given that she isn't really a good promo. It was so over the top and Christian and Nick mugging sold it and it worked. They just need to resist over exposing her so it doesn't wear out its welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah the Shanya Wayne promo works given the setup of the feud and also given that she isn't really a good promo. It was so over the top and Christian and Nick mugging sold it and it worked. They just need to resist over exposing her so it doesn't wear out its welcome

Good luck with that, I've never seen a Nick Wayne match or segment that Shayna Wayne wasn't jammed into, all the way back to his Defy stuff.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

History Comes Inside! posted:

What does merch have to do with Sting having a single mask for a segment

Well they could have placed a bulk order for Sting masks, given one to Sting for the segment, and then put the rest up for sale at their merch stands at shows, doesn't seem like it would have been too difficult to do

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

The iconic looks of the Icon

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

MJeff posted:

I've been to four AEW live events and the merch was abysmal at all four.

AEW absolutely sucks at marketing its merch, which is kind of nuts because it's almost like free money. You never see any of the wrestlers wearing their shirts on TV, they don't have much on hand at live events, they're not plugging their online store. Like how hard can any of that be? You have the entirety of the BCC just wearing plain white tees and track suits, like if the NWO never wore their signature logo shirts. Say what you will about WWE, but they know how to push their merch.

The only time I really remember anyone in AEW actually wearing their shirts was MJF/Cole.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 24, 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

AEW absolutely sucks at marketing its merch, which is kind of nuts because it's almost like free money. You never see any of the wrestlers wearing their shirts on TV, they don't have much on hand at live events, they're not plugging their online store. Like how hard can any of that be? You have the entirety of the BCC just wearing plain white tees and track suits, like if the NWO never wore their signature logo shirts. Say what you will about WWE, but they know how to push their merch.

The only time I really remember anyone in AEW actually wearing their shirts was MJF/Cole.

I don't think this is accurate in regards to the talent. I see bullet Club wearing their shirts all the time. And acclaimed. And bcc. Swerve wears his shirts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the wrestlers wear their merch all the time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
At least 10% of the show has SHOPAEW.COM sticking out in the corner

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
They should have Danhausen and RJ City or some other comedy gimmick like Toni storm do AEWShop christmas promos

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wrestlers really shouldn't wear their own merch anyways, like going to see a band and they're all wearing their own band shirt.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Gumball Gumption posted:

Wrestlers really shouldn't wear their own merch anyways, like going to see a band and they're all wearing their own band shirt.

“Gutter, don’t be that guy.”

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Agreed

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Christina/Shayna thing wasn't bad per se but it was cringe. Cringe enough to make me change the channel.
Of course given that Swerve is getting cheers being a chickenshit who goes out of their way to be as antagonizing as possible is the only way to get booed in AEW.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Shard posted:

Is there anything indicating Shibata is in danger of dying in the ring other than a previous injury? Is he not 100 percent healed from that?

They took his brain out of his skull

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

MorningMoon posted:

At least 10% of the show has SHOPAEW.COM sticking out in the corner

I hope they get away from pro wrestling tees, they are too expensive and the quality sucks.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The pro-wreetling tees New Japan shirts got wholes in the arm pits way faster than the ones from Japan

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well, so much for getting into All Japan as an alternative to AEW.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

Dragongate time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

Still the best in-ring company until proven otherwise

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The ideologically pure wrestling company is out there. Do not lose hope...

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
No True Wrestleman

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

projecthalaxy posted:

The ideologically pure wrestling company is out there. Do not lose hope...

It's GanPro

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The ideologically pure wrestling is Smoky Mountain Wrestling surely

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The most pure form of wrestling is any Takada Pride fight were the opponent was paid to job

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

:( every company is dying except the fed

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I actually run an ideologically pure promotion. We don't run shows and we have not hired anyone to help keep that purity. If you're interested I can send you the Patreon link.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Was WWE ever in danger of dying? I've heard the mid 90s were dire but did they actually stand a chance of going out of business?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE was losing money in the mid 90's when all of the North American Business was bad but they cut costs so they probably weren't in Danger of closing. If anything the closest they probably came was in 97 when USA was close to dropping them from the station and they hadn't rebounded in ratings enough to get another station

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

forkboy84 posted:

The ideologically pure wrestling is Smoky Mountain Wrestling surely

Depending on your ideology, sure.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
ChocoPro is forever

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

ChocoPro is forever

ChocoNo

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

a promotion run by emi sakura, my worst nightmare

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

njpw in turmoil, ajpw working with regal, noah is garbage, stardom in shambles, tjpw has 3 good wrestlers, its time to go full time dragon gate/AWG. see you in the trenches

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I'll be watching FREEDOMS . Imagine I lowered my goggles and gave a salute

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

reported, you son of a submariner

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Changing my name to GJeff because I'm a GLEAT man now.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
YMZ and Ice Ribbon diet

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

just watch old poo poo

become the dad rock wrestling fan your heart yearns to be

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ivypls posted:

just watch old poo poo

become the dad rock wrestling fan your heart yearns to be

I recommend this if only because it will reveal that none of the stuff this thread complains about is new; wrestling was and will continue to be incredibly stupid amateur theatre for jocks, which is also what makes it great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

is DDT good? i feel like DDT might be good