Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

Siler and Harriman must loving love SG1
Both set for life by it

Full government pension, and they deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Taear posted:

Both set for life by it
Siler's probably got some long-term issues from, y'know, all of the injuries

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

FFT posted:

Siler's probably got some long-term issues from, y'know, all of the injuries

They could use the sarcophagus on him once to heal him up without going evil.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

What do you mean, 'going', Colonel?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

What do you mean, 'going', Colonel?

Call up the Tok'ra, get a stasis chamber ready, everyone is on standby.

We will save Siler.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

On the other hand, Woolsly is disposable.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Taear posted:

Both set for life by it

It’s in the rules for the Air Force that you have to have a hosed up skull shape to run the SGC dialling computer.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

redshirt posted:

LOL the freaking Lucian Alliance. Are you kidding me??

I have a fanfic theory on the Lucian Alliance that probably fails to hold water.

The Lucian Alliance was secretly created, organized, supported, and controlled by a group of Aschen survivors who are using them to destablize the galaxy for them to eventually swoop in and clean up. Genetically engineered corn to control populations sounds like such an Aschen move if they couldn't do other tricks and other traditional bioweapon tactics were possibly deemed too dangerous given their own limited numbers or they no longer had access to that level of tech to pull it off.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I more meant the actors! Heading to every con imaginable

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

I have a fanfic theory on the Lucian Alliance that probably fails to hold water.

The Lucian Alliance was secretly created, organized, supported, and controlled by a group of Aschen survivors who are using them to destablize the galaxy for them to eventually swoop in and clean up. Genetically engineered corn to control populations sounds like such an Aschen move if they couldn't do other tricks and other traditional bioweapon tactics were possibly deemed too dangerous given their own limited numbers or they no longer had access to that level of tech to pull it off.

That's a super cool idea and now my head canon unless something else takes its place.

Also, you got me fired up again about the Aschen. I've never felt more hostile to anyone on SG1. Not even the Goa'uld or Anubis. loving Aschen.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'm not really a fan of the "dial another stargate with a solar flare in-between" time travel physics, but the implementation in the first Aschen episide was excellent.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

I'm not really a fan of the "dial another stargate with a solar flare in-between" time travel physics, but the implementation in the first Aschen episide was excellent.

Time travel's a heck of thing.

SG-1 became my favorite Sci Fi ever with the episode 2001. I couldn't believe, seasons later, they were revisiting this story. And done in such an amazing way. I absolutely LOVE the redemption of the ambassador. In the first episode (2010) he seems like a good enough guy, but oh yeah he's also complicit in the sterilization of the human race.

But in 2001 he's got Sam's back as she Gate's out of there and closes the iris just in time. He helped saved the entire Earth. Like a big drat hero.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FFT posted:

They really ruin it in Atlantis, they revisit the concept for honestly no reason or payoff

Crimson Chin
Aug 16, 2005

mister happy turtle is a happy turtle
Imagine spending eternity with loving Harlen. Amazed at how chill everyone who isn't O'Neill is.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I can't remember if it was this thread or another thread where there was chat about SG1/Atlanta's pay, but do you get pay for all that time?

Like if you spent entire life time stuck in weird time shenanigans, but than everything was reset, like you still would of been on the clock during that time.

If they don't get paid they really should get a better union.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

I mean, why do you think the Stargate program costs $7.4 billion dollars a year? Other than copious amounts of dome wax for Teal'c and Hammond of Texas.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

redshirt posted:

Call up the Tok'ra, get a stasis chamber ready, everyone is on standby.

We will save Siler.

SOS means Save Our Siler

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Speaking of money: Continuum had the team arriving in an alternate reality having done nothing and allowed to do nothing but being given a healthy stipend and a lot of freedom of movement. Cam, Carter, and Jackson seemed to be doing okay with the money and housing they were given.

For the US Government, they DID sort of drop in out of nowhere and reveal the location and function of alien tech beneath the ice in Antarctica which jumpstarted their development of the the SG Program and prepping the Ancient Weapons device. It never paid off, but their intel likely would have bypassed decades of work and billions of dollars of funding, not to mention giving the Navy's SG program tons of intel on which gate addresses were hostile and which weren't in advance, allowing them to exploit it for finding more tech advancements. So, I guess the governement could spare a few coins from the coffers in retrospect.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If anyone in this thread happens to be in Hollywood-ish circles, try to hunt down the writers of the first Hammond of Texas episode and let them know that the joke has lived on in our hearts for decades

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

If anyone in this thread happens to be in Hollywood-ish circles, try to hunt down the writers of the first Hammond of Texas episode and let them know that the joke has lived on in our hearts for decades

*makes hand motion in the Jaffa style

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Prof. Banks posted:

I mean, why do you think the Stargate program costs $7.4 billion dollars a year? Other than copious amounts of dome wax for Teal'c and Hammond of Texas.

No way it's only 7.4 billion a year. Maybe 77 billion. I mean, by season 8 the SGC has multiple spaceships. How much did the Prometheus alone coast? And that squadron of 301s? And the newer ships that keep showing up. And that's just for ships.

All those offworld bases, all the weapons and ammo, heck, running and supplying Atlantis.

Also, it seems like are hundreds of people who work at the SGC.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

redshirt posted:

No way it's only 7.4 billion a year. Maybe 77 billion. I mean, by season 8 the SGC has multiple spaceships. How much did the Prometheus alone coast? And that squadron of 301s? And the newer ships that keep showing up. And that's just for ships.

All those offworld bases, all the weapons and ammo, heck, running and supplying Atlantis.

Yeah, the most unrealistic thing in the entire show is that no one leaked.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'd no-prize this that the Stargate Command's budget is directly just the Cheyanne Mountain operations and the literal 'going through the gate' stuff. I want to say that before the Ori become a problem they're already talking of scaling down operations of the SGC because it was viewed as less important than Atlantis' mission and they wanted to redeploy the money to other things.

Everything like ships and the like possibly falls under Homeworld Security's, Area 51s, or general military spending as a different thing. Then the IOA probably starts to shoulder a lot financial burdens that were once exclusively the US's when running the program.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Budget for sci-fi leaps in technology is based on current military allocations adjusted for the expected inflation that would happen during the technology gap measured in years. Rudimentary fusion? Double the budget since its maybe a couple decades. Asgard tech? Well, poo poo, that 7 bil budget just grew several orders of magnitude

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'd no-prize this that the Stargate Command's budget is directly just the Cheyanne Mountain operations and the literal 'going through the gate' stuff. I want to say that before the Ori become a problem they're already talking of scaling down operations of the SGC because it was viewed as less important than Atlantis' mission and they wanted to redeploy the money to other things.

Everything like ships and the like possibly falls under Homeworld Security's, Area 51s, or general military spending as a different thing. Then the IOA probably starts to shoulder a lot financial burdens that were once exclusively the US's when running the program.

You probably have it right, and yes, they were talking about scaling back the SGC in favor of Atlantis, but if I recall that was so they could build more ships.

I've often wondered how much authority the SGC has overall. Like, they seem to have dedicated presence at Area 51 - is it their base, or do they just a part of it? They seem to have full control of all the space vessels (except the Russian one, RIP).

And clearly some big budget moves were made at some point early in the show, since from the first episode we get the clear impression the base is a sleepy backwater with nothing going on. That changes fast when Apophis comes rolling through the Gate.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

redshirt posted:

I should have clarified. I watched the S1 clip show yesterday and that's the price that Senator Dickhead Kinsey / General Hammond quoted as the annual operations budget. Makes sense for S1 and being pre-battleships/Antarctic base/Alpha-site/Atlantis mission, and is lol, lmao as a budget for the end of the show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

Budget for sci-fi leaps in technology is based on current military allocations adjusted for the expected inflation that would happen during the technology gap measured in years. Rudimentary fusion? Double the budget since its maybe a couple decades. Asgard tech? Well, poo poo, that 7 bil budget just grew several orders of magnitude

I wonder how hands on the Asgard were in assistance of ship construction. We see direct evidence of that saucy Asgard who serves on board the Daedalus. But I wonder how many more were involved with designing and building.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

I wonder how hands on the Asgard were in assistance of ship construction. We see direct evidence of that saucy Asgard who serves on board the Daedalus. But I wonder how many more were involved with designing and building.

i just watched the one w here the trust use the tokra symbiote poison killing millions of jaffa and some tokra. they say in that episode the asguard installed the beam tech but didnt give them the special targetting thing. it seems like they give a downgraded version and personally install it

also that episode should of been about 10-15mins longer with both the jaffa and the tokra reaming jack and telling him to get his house in order

I dont like that the non earth villians dont get wins but the nid and trust get wins. Maybe they learned more about writing but anubis is supposed to be this super powered half ancient half gouald and he got like 2 wins and they were partial wins basically he got daniel deascended but that leaves daniel able to act. and the other is the times he got thors brain but it wrecked his ship and he got jonas brain and it wrecked his ship. now hes frozen in some russian corpse.

baals wins are just lol i told you i had your team but i was lying lol

i thought about it more an im over simplifying anubis's victories but it just feels like nid is always pulling a fast one and getting away with it except for the one time jack caught most of em. the trust has had only wins so far. and they have been
the bulk of the season. the slow safe victory vs win where you can jaffa political argument between tealc and ishta is way more interesting then the trust getting away scott free all day

snergle fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 24, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The ships were obviously built using cheap off-world sweatshop labor.

With the spread of capatlism through the galaxy after the fall of the systems lords, many wish for the return of the fun carefree days of gouald rule.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ra's son or whatever wins at the end of season 1 shortly before we kick his rear end

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

alexandriao posted:

Ra's son or whatever wins at the end of season 1 shortly before we kick his rear end

horus? the bird guy right. he took over the asgard planet with thors hammer because sg1 broke it but in the same episode sg1 pushed em out by contacting thor

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

redshirt posted:

Such a weird casting. You could hire anyone for Weir's husband. And you cast Nareem?

Maybe the actor is their friend and they want to give him some money.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah, the most unrealistic thing in the entire show is that no one leaked.

You've got the big 5 governments hiding it as well - maybe someone said "it's not just Area 51, the big governments ALL KNOW! IT"S A WORLDWIDE CONSPIRACY!!!" And then they realised "hang on, how can everyone be in on a conspiracy? is it truly a conspiracy then?"

While watching DS9, familiar faces

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

SG-1 is a known team, of course, but what even is the name for Sheppard's team? I just started S5E13 before bed and it opens with Woolsey saying "or, more precisely, your team has received an invitation" and what even is the name of it??

"Sheppard's team" maybe, from how the episode goes.

/e: oh hey it was the clip episode where Woolsey redeems himself after being a complete bureaucratic piece of poo poo constantly in SG-A up to this point. Long after his redemption as a bureaucratic piece of poo poo happened in SG-1

I'm sure this will carry through to the finale~

/e2: lmao the next episode is the one with David Foley playing a rival McKay that, iirc, traps everyone in a deathtrap, with cameos by Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson

stringless fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 25, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yarka: "Sons of the Pharaohs! Give me frogs! Flies! Locusts! Anything but YOU! Compared to you, the other plagues were a JOY!"

Kira: "I am so very sorry. It was an accident."

Yarka: "My girl, when Rameses destroyed Syria, that was an accident. You are a catastrophe!"

Kira: "Wait... Who's Rameses?"

Sisko: "I'll explain later."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That guy's in a lot of stuff. He was some MOTW in an episode of Grimm I caught randomly. Also one of 2 actors I believe in the movie and show (could be wrong on that).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

SG-1 is a known team, of course, but what even is the name for Sheppard's team? I just started S5E13 before bed and it opens with Woolsey saying "or, more precisely, your team has received an invitation" and what even is the name of it??

/e: oh hey it was the clip episode where Woolsey redeems himself after being a complete bureaucratic piece of poo poo constantly in SG-A up to this point. Long after his redemption as a bureaucratic piece of poo poo happened in SG-1

/e2: lmao the next episode is the one with David Foley playing a rival McKay that, iirc, traps everyone in a deathtrap, with cameos by Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson

I haven't got that far yet, but wouldn't "AG-1" and so on make sense? Atlantis Gate based teams.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

FFT posted:

I saw this one air live and it was wild.
This is before NGT had Twitter to ruin his own public standing by being an immense piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

redshirt posted:

That guy's in a lot of stuff. He was some MOTW in an episode of Grimm I caught randomly. Also one of 2 actors I believe in the movie and show (could be wrong on that).

Wait. There was a Grimm movie?