Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I had a problem early on where my Deck wouldn't output sound over HDMI or DisplayPort at all, only to the speakers and headphone jack, and a factory reset of the Deck itself fixed the problem. The problem here isn't exactly the same, but it does seem similar, and I wonder if the solution that worked for me will help you.

Edit: I didn't need HDMI 2.1 on my PC until I started trying to have the PC drive a 1440p monitor, and the image was flickery and messy when I was using HDMI cables that weren't up to the task, but it was still there. I don't think your cables are the cause of your problem, especially if they work fine for other devices.

drat, I've ordered a HDMI 2.1 cable to rule out that problem but you could be right. Really cannot be bothered reinstalling all my emulators and stuff so I hope it won't need to be a factory reset, but such is life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

drat, I've ordered a HDMI 2.1 cable to rule out that problem but you could be right. Really cannot be bothered reinstalling all my emulators and stuff so I hope it won't need to be a factory reset, but such is life

Like Commander Keene said, even an old HDMI cable will just have a lower bandwidth. So you should still be able to do 4k @ 30hz or 1440p @ 50hz, 1080p @ 60hz, etc. but some TVs may not support those refresh rates and resolutions.

What is the input on your TV or any other displays you're connecting to? If they are expecting for e.g., VRR, your old HDMI cable will not cut it. Are they HDMI or DisplayPort?

You should also go into Desktop Mode when trying the dock. Connect USB c power, keyboard and mouse, verify they work through the dock in desktop mode.

Then go to Settings - bottom left Taskbar - find the Display tab and see if your monitor shows up at all in there. If it does try running at a lower frequency and resolution like 1080p@60 which any display and HDMI cable should support. (4k@60 needs newer, higher bandwidth cables.)

E: you didn't say, are you getting power through the dock? I'd first verify basic stuff like power and a USB mouse or keyboard are working through the dock as the first step. All those Just Work while displays and display cables are more finicky.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 24, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

v1ld posted:

Like Commander Keene said, even an old HDMI cable will just have a lower bandwidth. So you should still be able to do 4k @ 30hz or 1440p @ 50hz, 1080p @ 60hz, etc. but some TVs may not support those refresh rates and resolutions.

What is the input on your TV or any other displays you're connecting to? If they are expecting for e.g., VRR, your old HDMI cable will not cut it. Are they HDMI or DisplayPort?

You should also go into Desktop Mode when trying the dock. Connect USB c power, keyboard and mouse, verify they work through the dock in desktop mode.

Then go to Settings - bottom left Taskbar - find the Display tab and see if your monitor shows up at all in there. If it does try running at a lower frequency and resolution like 1080p@60 which any display and HDMI cable should support. (4k@60 needs newer, higher bandwidth cables.)

E: you didn't say, are you getting power through the dock? I'd first verify basic stuff like power and a USB mouse or keyboard are working through the dock as the first step. All those Just Work while displays and display cables are more finicky.
Currently testing with my computer monitor since it's a bit easier to work with. Using the HDMI cable that I use for my work laptop - standard HDMI to HDMI, no DP considerations of anything that could add any snags there.

Dock is definitely getting power, Deck charges
and if I plug in a mouse it works perfectly.

No sign of any monitor appearing in desktop mode settings.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Can I get HDR via steam link on my oled steam deck? I'm trying some games (Cyberpunk and Baldurs Gate 3) and both say there is no HDR available and the picture is way too dark.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Currently testing with my computer monitor since it's a bit easier to work with. Using the HDMI cable that I use for my work laptop - standard HDMI to HDMI, no DP considerations of anything that could add any snags there.

Dock is definitely getting power, Deck charges
and if I plug in a mouse it works perfectly.

No sign of any monitor appearing in desktop mode settings.

Ugh, doesn't sound good.

What's the monitor's native res? Can you switch resolutions on the monitor? Make it advertise 720p@60 or 1080p@60 just to see if it's a resolution/negotiation problem. Grasping at straws here, though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

v1ld posted:

Ugh, doesn't sound good.

What's the monitor's native res? Can you switch resolutions on the monitor? Make it advertise 720p@60 or 1080p@60 just to see if it's a resolution/negotiation problem. Grasping at straws here, though.

Yeah I tried that, even ran it in "HDMI compatibility mode" whatever the gently caress that is (grasping here as well).

gently caress it, will try the 2.1 cable then try factory resetting and will keep posted

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If anyone's looking at docks, JSAUX have their base 5-in-1 for $26 on their own store: https://jsaux.com/products/steam-deck-docking-station

But: The Ethernet port on that hub is only 100mbps. I can get 800mbps real-world speed downloading from Steam over WiFi - limited only by Steam itself - so I'm never going to touch a cable again, but ymmv. Something to check if you're still using cabled Ethernet with your devices, there are a surprising number of old 100mbps FastE ports on current switches and routers.

Says HDMI 2.0 so you can do 4k@60 at least.

While I have a pigtail hub that works well with every device, hub+deck take up a bunch of desk space when I'm in desktop mode - a not infrequent amount of the time, because I like modding games as much as actually playing games. So getting an upright dock isn't a bad idea.

I want a well-behaved USB C device most of all, not particular about brand. Any good recos?

E: Mixed up Steam speed and speed test in the numbers. I can get a little over 800mbps with Steam downloads from the new OLED Deck over Wifi 6 - but I also have a local Steam download point in my city (which you can check and set from Desktop Steam Settings). My laptop and desktop, which have larger and, for desktop, external antennae, can saturate the 1gbps ATT fiber link over Wifi.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 24, 2023

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I bought a JSAUX dock and I cannot get it to display on screen for the life of me. I thought the initial dock was just faulty so I've replaced it but am having the same issue with the new one.

The HDMI cables I've tried are theoretically fine, they work no problem with other devices. I've tried both my TV and my PC monitor as the output device as well so it doesn't seem like it should be any weird TV compatibility issue.

Do I need a specific kind of HDMI cable like the newer 2.1 ones? If so is there any way to identify one easily before I go through all the HDMI cables scattered around my house like old DS chargers.

Appreciate any hints before I just give up and buy the overpriced Valve official dock.

I'm just waking up, so might not be thinking clearly, but is there a firmware you can update on the dock itself? I know when I first used my Valve Dock, I needed to update the firmware on it. Not sure if/how on the JSAUX one though.

e. here it is:

https://jsaux.com/blogs/steam-deck/were-upgrading-our-steam-deckss-docking-stations-firmware

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

Fuzz posted:

I finally figured out a good control setup that makes BRIGADOR seamless to play, and holy poo poo this game is great on an OLED.

Whats the general setup/is it a community profile? Brigador rocks and I forgot all about trying it on the deck..

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

EngineerJoe posted:

Can I get HDR via steam link on my oled steam deck? I'm trying some games (Cyberpunk and Baldurs Gate 3) and both say there is no HDR available and the picture is way too dark.

Nope although I think it's being worked on. If the picture is too dark try turning software decoding off in the Deck's Remote Play settings

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kragger99 posted:

I'm just waking up, so might not be thinking clearly, but is there a firmware you can update on the dock itself? I know when I first used my Valve Dock, I needed to update the firmware on it. Not sure if/how on the JSAUX one though.

e. here it is:

https://jsaux.com/blogs/steam-deck/were-upgrading-our-steam-deckss-docking-stations-firmware

Well, you're smarter on just waking up than I am on full ritalin focus apparently, because this did the trick. Never even stopped to consider the dock software would be complex enough to have/need firmware updates (less charitably, I also figured if it needed one to actually work as a dock, I would have found people mentioning that earlier during my Reddit/steam forum searching).

Either that or the 45 minutes of updates my Deck itself sneakily needed and wouldn't admit until I restarted it and repeatedly asked it, but it worked fine with my previous dock until that stopped working completely (cheap £20 Amazon one, go figure) so I think the firmware update was what did it. Thanks!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

so I think the firmware update was what did it. Thanks!

Excellent, glad it worked out :hfive:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Edited cross post: General Deck tip for any cRPG: Bind the left touchpad to a virtual menu that has the numbers 1-9 in a 3x3 grid-based touch menu. So it then looks like:
code:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

The really cool thing about this is you don't have to treat this like a menu that you select by moving over - it carves up your touchpad into 9 separate clickable areas that you can access directly.

So top left corner is always the number 1, mid top is 2, top right is 3, etc. Once you get used to this, responding to conversation, any prompt that needs a numeric response really, becomes super comfy. Better than mouse over or even keyboard reach.

cRPGs often have multiple hotbars mapped to 1-9, shift 1-9, control 1-9. Same trick works, just put control, shift, alt on the back buttons.

This works well for other inputs. For example, The Witcher 3 has 5 signs, Axii etc. If you map that to a 5-entry radial menu - not grid! - then the 4 corners of the touchpad + middle of the top edge become direct click activations for the 5 signs. I can hit those while focused on the gameplay, no need to look at the radial menu prompt.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 16, 2024

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Same, I like muscle/tactile memory.

The Deck touchpad edges are pretty comfy as far as hitting them blind in the corners or middle for me now. Center is tough, have to look. But if you map stuff to the edges and corners, that's 8 comfy buttons right under the other controls.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Any hidden good RPGs or tactics games in the steam sale that are good on deck? Looked at the top sellers but nothing seemed crazy

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I just bought The Last of Us Part 1, have the frame limiter set to 30. Anyone know what (if any) settings I can turn up and still keep consistent peeformance?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm in the process of installing Diablo 2 Resurrected on my Deck.

I know I download the installer, add it to Steam, force proton compatibility, then run B. Net to install the game.

Once it's installed, can I add the Diablo 2 exe to Steam and run it directly, or do I always need to launch it through the client?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Geckoagua posted:

Whats the general setup/is it a community profile? Brigador rocks and I forgot all about trying it on the deck..

I published it, it's the DocFuzz Steam Deck Thumbpad Mode profile. The back buttons do all the main functions, just rebind the Horn to something else ingame.

Also set the controls on your mech to Screen Absolute, that's reaaaaaaal important.

The thumbpad ends up being your entire screen, so if you wanna aim to the top left, move your thumb to the top left. Bottom Right? Same thing. Wanna aim closer, move thumb toward center. LB throttling doesn't really do anything because the screen is always 1:1, but that's not a huge deal, and honestly you could rebind it to another function if you like, I just wanted to keep the public profile as close to default bindings as possible. I use it to align my mech to mouse since that's easier to hit than R5.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 24, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh neat Decky added animated tiles. Too many make my menu run like crap but hey what are you gonna do??

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

sailormoon posted:

Any hidden good RPGs or tactics games in the steam sale that are good on deck? Looked at the top sellers but nothing seemed crazy

I liked The Last Spell, but its definitely not for everyone. Its a roguelite tactics game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

DildenAnders posted:

I just bought The Last of Us Part 1, have the frame limiter set to 30. Anyone know what (if any) settings I can turn up and still keep consistent peeformance?

I usually grab all my settings by doing a Reddit search. 9/10 times someone has posted a video or their settings for 30/45/60 fps.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Annath posted:

I'm in the process of installing Diablo 2 Resurrected on my Deck.

I know I download the installer, add it to Steam, force proton compatibility, then run B. Net to install the game.

Once it's installed, can I add the Diablo 2 exe to Steam and run it directly, or do I always need to launch it through the client?

Yep just run the bnet launcher. It'll update the game and what not like on Windows. Just touch the screen for the play button once it's installed. Maybe you can emulate mouse control but I've never bothered.

E: I think there's an option in the launcher settings to close the launcher after launching a game. Do that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Time to show off our Deckpics once again. We just can't help sending them to people.

Love my OLED.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got my DeckDock in and finally got it set up. I had to plug it in and unplug it about 5 times to get it to work on my TV, hopefully the firmware update fixes that.

After some resolution tinkering, I got moonlight going and it's great. Honestly, I'm glad I didn't wait until they fixed the HDR issues, I don't have an OLED TV yet anyways and it's not that noticeable. But having 1440p120 content on my TV with max settings? Mama Mia!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Ive been playing way too much Wall World.

Its a game where the world is a wall.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Time to show off our Deckpics once again. We just can't help sending them to people.

Love my OLED.

Oledeeze nuts

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

Does anyone know of a good control scheme for GZDoom?
The Luxtorpeda build of GZDoom has a default configuration with a fixed controller.

From memory, the issue is that GZDoom takes input from both the Steam Input virtual controller and the raw gamepad device simultaneously, but the axis mapping for the raw input assigns on the triggers to the "turn" axis so just spin in circles with the trigger at rest.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I'd installed GZDoom from the Discovery app and it works fine with WASD+Mouse in desktop mode, but in default mode GZDoom refuses to register any alphabetical key presses on the console or the "name a save screen". Very odd.

Also interesting - when the menu is on screen, Framerate is reported as 35 on the steam deck. Like the classic VGA doom framerate.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished up the story in Case of the Golden Idol and immediately went and bought the dlc. Can highly recommend for anyone looking for a low-key mystery game this holiday season.

Personally found it more approachable than Obra Dinn, although it did make me want to go back and give that another go.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tech tip for any fellow parents playing the Bluey game on a docked deck this Christmas morning: the game insists that every connected controller needs to be a player, including the deck itself. To get around this just set the deck's control preset to mouse and keyboard, which it ignores.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

Just finished up the story in Case of the Golden Idol and immediately went and bought the dlc. Can highly recommend for anyone looking for a low-key mystery game this holiday season.

Personally found it more approachable than Obra Dinn, although it did make me want to go back and give that another go.

This looks really interesting but the art direction is super not my thing and off putting. Does it somehow look better in game than screenshots?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Totally Huge posted:

This looks really interesting but the art direction is super not my thing and off putting. Does it somehow look better in game than screenshots?

Games are really just a series of screenshots, if you think about it :420:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Totally Huge posted:

Well the characters and situations are meant to be unsettling because they're repulsive little people engaging in skeezy dealings. That said, you don't spend a lot of time looking at the actual characters (which are the only designs that are particularly creepy). Most of the time you're digging through clues and putting puzzle pieces together.

Golden Idol is like doing a really satisfying jigsaw puzzle. All the pieces are there and you always have a high-level view of what's been pieced together and what hasn't yet. So you don't spend too much time confused about what to do next, mostly it's just that really pleasant brain-tickle of putting things together.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Luxtorpeda build of GZDoom has a default configuration with a fixed controller.

From memory, the issue is that GZDoom takes input from both the Steam Input virtual controller and the raw gamepad device simultaneously, but the axis mapping for the raw input assigns on the triggers to the "turn" axis so just spin in circles with the trigger at rest.

Thats the one Im using and it was completely busted from first launch, with the menu scrolling out of control and the viewpoint locking straight up in-game. Am I not supposed to use the version of Luxtorpeda you get with ProtonUp-QT?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Totally Huge posted:

This is my problem with Binding of Isaac, Im sure its a great game, but I cant get past its lovely aesthetic enough to get into it

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Pizza Tower's art makes me feel physically ill.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

This is my problem with Binding of Isaac, Im sure its a great game, but I cant get past its lovely aesthetic enough to get into it

I think lovely is less accurate than divisive. I think the art in Isaac is fine, I think the art in Golden Idol is really creepy and effective in a way that I enjoyed.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Same but for Brotato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm in the mood for some retro-style 3D platforming. Picked up Corn Kids 64 and Pseudoreglia. The former is a N64 love letter where I can't still can't beat the tutorial level. The latter is a PS2-looking Metroidvania where you don't know where to go next until you wander just right. Coincidentally both are about goats. They're worth checking out if you want to jump on some 3D platforms.

parasyte posted:

honestly i would recommend installing 7th Heaven via https://github.com/dotaxis/7thDeck and using 7th Heaven to launch FF7. have it install and use ffnx. you don't have to use any mods but there's a variety of upscaled stuff and a 60fps mod you can choose if you like.

Ohh thanks for posting this. Really want to try that amateur voice acting mod, maybe I'll give installing it another shot.