Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I get why you'd clamp down on those stores, and I get why Labour have announced that they intend to, but I want to know what their actually watered down policy will be by the time the election rolls around. Something like "we promise to look into the possibility of having an inquiry at some point in the future on this issue" or something nothing like that. Or something means tested. They love means testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There's a ludicrously ornate kebab place near me that finished a ginormous renovation, opened for three months or so, and now is having another extensive renovation.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gorn Myson posted:

I get why you'd clamp down on those stores, and I get why Labour have announced that they intend to, but I want to know what their actually watered down policy will be by the time the election rolls around. Something like "we promise to look into the possibility of having an inquiry at some point in the future on this issue" or something nothing like that. Or something means tested. They love means testing.

FT investigation into what these candy stores are all about (non-paywall)

https://archive.is/LkLXn

quote:

...Analysis by the Financial Times of companies registered at Oxford Street premises reveals clusters of shareholders and directors who appear to form a loose network, with some sharing residential or business addresses, or taking ownership of a business for months at a time before ceding to another shareholder.

Most have not filed accounts, or were dissolved or put into insolvency before doing so. Some shareholders and directors have gone on to set up new companies on the street or move existing ones to different Oxford Street addresses. One company has been registered at three separate Oxford Street addresses since it was established 10 months ago.

Hinckley’s mission is further complicated by the nesting of tenants, subtenants, agents and intermediaries that makes it difficult to untangle who is liable to pay the rates. Take 474 Oxford Street, adjacent to Marks and Spencer’s flagship outlet and home to a souvenir store called “Ministry of Gifts & Luggage”. A rental advert advises that full rates are set at £340,480 a year, warning prospective tenants to “confirm any rating liability directly with the local authority”.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Oh yeah definitely, I have a cat that doesn't even like catnip.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Seen a few in Liverpool but they never last long.
That's kind of the point of them. Like their distant cousin the luggage shop, they buy a bunch of stock that's cheap in one country, circumvent import / export loopholes to get the stock here, rent a plot on a high street using a loan, shift the stock as fast as they can and then disappear once the tax / rent / import charges are due.

Sometimes they rely on councils desperate to fill the high street who are willing to offer a free month or 3 months half price on a longer contract, and then again, just disappear when the bill is due for the full rent.

Like estate agents and charity shops, sweet shops and luggage shops are signs of a high street that is not doing well.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

High street landlords are also so desperate to find tenants to avoid responsibility for business rates that they're hardly going to turn down CRIME CANDY LTD

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Wachter posted:

High street landlords are also so desperate to find tenants to avoid responsibility for business rates that they're hardly going to turn down CRIME CANDY LTD

You say that but theres been a shop on Poole High Street called Toast 2 Roast which has been empty for at least 12 years. Still got all the chairs and stuff inside, its like they locked the place up and just never came back.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m pretty sure that running businesses that can, on the surface, claim to be spending American dollars purchasing American products is pretty drat perfect for the world of money laundering dollars

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Somewhere further up the chain is a Mr Big who supplies all the sweet shops and is tumbling the real cash - Pablo Candybar

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

serious gaylord posted:

You say that but theres been a shop on Poole High Street called Toast 2 Roast which has been empty for at least 12 years. Still got all the chairs and stuff inside, its like they locked the place up and just never came back.

Oh we've got one of those. 10 or so derelict flats on the high street. AFAIK the actual owner is overseas and uncontactable/doesn't give a poo poo so it has just sat there gradually falling apart for going on 20 years now

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

smellmycheese posted:

Somewhere further up the chain is a Mr Big who supplies all the sweet shops and is tumbling the real cash - Pablo Candybar

Let's go outside, mister

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Like estate agents and charity shops, sweet shops and luggage shops are signs of a high street that is not doing well.

Estate agents and charity shops? Outside particularly posh places I don't think I've ever seen a high street without either of those.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There's usually one or two, but when it's mostly estate agents and charity shops, that town is not doing well.

Of course there's also the fact that most towns in the UK are not doing well anyway, because their CFO decided to gamble everything I have been assured for legal reasons it was not gambling.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 26, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Our high street is full of coffee shops, charity shops and closed shops (non-unionized ;) ) & a handful of estate agents.
There's also a Smiths (rebranded to WHS), Boots, Superdrug, M&S Food, opticians and a few independents.

The rates are sky high & many of the buildings are Grade 2/2* listed- which is why charity shops can fill in because they get to pay 25% of the usual rates.

The listings are one of the reasons shops stay empty. I understand why we have listing but I really think when a building is seriously dilapidated, impossible to insulate but stay within requirements of listing, there should be a way of either de-listing or some sort of "sympathetic development" allowed. We had a specsavers open and it took them a couple of years to get the necessary permission to change the frontage.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

serious gaylord posted:

Commercial premises are valued based on a multiple of the rents that can be extracted from them i.e. if the rent that you can get from a property drops from £30,000 a month to £20,000 a month, your property becomes devalued in the same proportion. This is why commercial landlords do that (on the face of it) baffling thing where they'll leave a perfectly good property sitting empty, rather than drop the rents and get somebody in there: the long term damage to their balance sheet would outweigh the short term income from the rent.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
But yes, listed buildings can also be a factor: you can have a property in a prime commercial location that's effectively un-lettable because you're simply not allowed to make the alterations that would make it energy efficient and viable for contemporary use, so it sits there and decays instead.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
It's Turkish barbers on the local high streets near me. I recently discovered that the majority of them were established by the same person. He's made a business out of repeatedly establishing one, almost immediately selling the business as a going concern, then repeating the cycle.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I love this Express headline - Scheming EU countries leave UK out of 'landmark' transport plans as map reveals betrayal

:allears:

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's usually one or two, but when it's mostly estate agents and charity shops, that town is not doing well.

Of course there's also the fact that most towns in the UK are not doing well anyway, because their CFO decided to gamble everything I have been assured for legal reasons it was not gambling.
I've never noticed a correlation between charity shops/estate agents and poo poo towns or high streets.

Lots of hair dressers, betting shops and mobile repair/vape shops are definitely a sign of a poo poo local economy, though. My local high streets are all pretty much exclusively betting shops, hair dressers and takeaways, with the odd vape/mobile phone repair shop or Tesco Express to break things up. It's not a poor town at all, it's just everyone with money travels to the way nicer towns nearby to actually spend it. It's a death spiral a town can get into and I dunno how a town can pull itself out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wachter posted:

Oh we've got one of those. 10 or so derelict flats on the high street. AFAIK the actual owner is overseas and uncontactable/doesn't give a poo poo so it has just sat there gradually falling apart for going on 20 years now

A good use for eminent domain at last

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gorn Myson posted:

An “easy” fix (in terms of the mechanics, not political will) would be to make the landlord liable for rates, and have them collect off the business in addition to the rent.

As stands the landlord is liable for rates if the business is empty, the tenant if it is occupied, so the landlord has an incentive to let to one of these stores (even if they never pay rent), because at least the landlord isn’t liable for rates while it’s occupied (and presumably can’t find someone to actually pay rent).

Shifting the liability to the landlord in all cases, who then has to roll rates into their rent would close this loophole. So it won’t happen.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Lol

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Dabir posted:

A good use for eminent domain at last

I forgot to mention that the building in question is listed and effectively gutted. It's probably too much hassle, especially for a struggling local authority.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
It does feel like there's something wrong with the listing process as-is, if it means leaving buildings to rot. That said, there's loads of instances of mysterious fires allowing people to sidestep the regulations, and the resulting overpriced flats don't really help the local economy either.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Crab Battle posted:

It does feel like there's something wrong with the listing process as-is, if it means leaving buildings to rot. That said, there's loads of instances of mysterious fires allowing people to sidestep the regulations, and the resulting overpriced flats don't really help the local economy either.

Some 20 nearly 40 years ago, in a town near where my folks lived, there was a listed building and Kwik Save thought they could get round bother by simply bulldozing the three storey building in the middle of the night. They were forced to rebuild it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Oh yeah definitely, I have a cat that doesn't even like catnip.

Iirc this is true of like 1/3rd of cats, it's like the coriander==soap thing with humans.

Mine will eat anything I eat, except doner kebab. That is Not Food, apparently.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

Iirc this is true of like 1/3rd of cats, it's like the coriander==soap thing with humans.

Mine (RIP) would eat tuna so long as they thought they were secretly snaffling it off my plate. I bought them their own can a couple of times (same brand as me) and they wouldn't touch it.

On the other hand they loved chicken kebab. On kebab night I was the most popular person in Walthamstow according to the kitties who were perishing pests while I was trying to eat.

So when I bought a kebab I would ask the server to put 50p worth (around yr 2000) of meat separately in another paper without the accoutrements of salad, bread & dressings which kept the kitties busy while I was eating.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

The "dodgy" aspect is less the financial crime and more the unsightliness. Ate that foreign muck, love me Percy Pigs
Keith will bring back the traditional dignified London street.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Norman! The Sky Bastards are ruining Boxing Day!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmegin posted:

They're not entirely wrong, tho it is delicious

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Incredible account. She lives in Windsor, right on the Heathrow flight path, but is convinced the sky is full of bastards spraying her house with chemicals

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Yes people need to fly far less, it's destroying the environment and causing changes to the global climate."
"No that's woke!"

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I never realised the conspiracy theory-as-nimbyism aspect of chemtrails until now. When I'm on a plane, it's cool and good. When other people are in planes, it's the Illuminati making the sky gay

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m just fascinated by the idea of moving to Windsor and then getting yourself conspiracy theoried into hypochondriac paranoia because the sky above one of the worlds busiest airports is full of contrails

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Terry Pratchett and Jack Cohen had a whole thing about universe scale vs. human scale perceptions, where the universe doesn't care what shape you think the earth is, a flat one wouldn't work, but the individual might say "sure looks flat from here", and the scientific method is about getting from one to the other.

For this type, I'd say you need a third one, the social level as described by C. Wright Mills as being necessary for the humanities and social sciences. Failing at that one gets you "holidays are ace and the bad planes are immigrants and/or illuminatis."

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Back in my glorious retail days we had a regular who was a believer in chemtrails. He would lean against the counter and just talk for hours about the various nonsense theories of his.
And then he'd offer you some coke to share.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 26, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Alexei Sayle's Christmas message:

https://x.com/abierkhatib/status/1739610945167483144?s=20

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

serious gaylord posted:

I have wondered if that place was ever open. There was also a traditional candy shop that opened, failed after a short time, and was replaced by a different traditional candy shop that also failed in short order. Plus an American themed diner that was basically never open with no posted hours that has, shockingly, closed as well.

Still enjoy wandering the high street from time to time though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

In Cambridge the high street is still full of various shops and quirky places.

But then again the city's full of tech workers & stupidly expensive and most of the city centre is owned by the university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

He's a good lad