Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Limp Bizkit's in the house, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

They still suck, but they know it. They even released an album called Still sucks

Here's a single from it for all the dads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnFjMokzyVo

My Limp Bizkit story is that they were going to come to a local festival couple years back, but ended up cancelling and we got Amorphis instead as replacement.
1. Amorphis is way better, but
2. I've seen Amorphis multiple times and kinda wanted to see the trainwreck.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i got tickets to see limp bizkit with a friend

its going to rule

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah, "Gundam themed thrashover" was the fastest I've ever clicked on an album ,and I wasn't disappointed at all.

There’s also a song called Stand Against the World, and between that and the Amid Evil DLC, it was a good year to get into Jojo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There’s also a song called Stand Against the World, and between that and the Amid Evil DLC, it was a good year to get into Jojo.

Don't sleep on Colony Drop, thread. I'm not a crossover thrash OR Gundam fan and this poo poo slaps.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yo guys

If you're only going to listen to one trad album in the next year, make it this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaNWpSnTKiE

This is incredibly loving inspired

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Issaries posted:

They still suck, but they know it.

Pretty much. Just cashing in on that late-career tour money, which is fine. It gives us dads a few hours to re-live our high school jams of the 90s now that we can afford to go to concerts.

I saw them back in October at Aftershock. I think they got 50 minutes, so the set list was like 95% Chocolate Starfish plus like Nookie and Break Stuff twice (first and last song, it was weird). Hoping they do more off 3 Dollar Bill and SO. And Dad Vibes, of course.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

glen benton owns

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh he sort of sucks a lot.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i got tickets to see limp bizkit with a friend

its going to rule

i saw one of their recent shows on youtube and skimmed through it and the crowd looked like they had a blast, and the band sounded good and looked like they were having a ton of fun too. fred durst has accepted his old age and is "just having fun out there"

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Guys I was gifted a sealed vinyl of Nevermore's This Godless Endeavor for Christmas

Do i open it even though i'm killing it's value by doing it

(Don't even look at the prices for D.H.I.A.D.W or Dreaming Neon Black on vinyl you'll loving cry)

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

plus like Nookie and Break Stuff twice (first and last song, it was weird).

I hate it so much when bands do this. Awhile back I went to a show with my brother-in-law in an attempt to bond with each other, and saw decidedly unmetal Semisonic. They played Closing Time, their only hit song, two times. In a row. Just embarrassing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

stab posted:

Guys I was gifted a sealed vinyl of Nevermore's This Godless Endeavor for Christmas

(Don't even look at the prices for D.H.I.A.D.W or Dreaming Neon Black on vinyl you'll loving cry)

Open it.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
lol if a band went into the same song twice u less they were too hosed up to notice then its OK imo

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Earthside's new album came out last month. After finding them a few years back it's great to see more. Overall it didn't hit me quite as hard as their debut album did (mostly cuz that one came outta nowhere) but this one delivered on being more Earthside without retreading old ground. Plus this album ends on a much better song than the previous one did.

Here's my favorite track:

https://youtu.be/tF4YMMbcjbg?si=n88yP_eoUANmQSug

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
still on some peelingflesh poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARoDeMGas88

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

stab posted:

I always open them, because I buy music to listen to it.

That being said, if it's particularly valuable... I could see wanting to keep it sealed, and listen to it on Spotify or whatever.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Oldstench posted:

I saw Opeth for the Still Life tour. They were great. They are a completely different band now and I do not like what they changed into at all.

I think Opeth were a great metal band and are a perfectly fine, acceptable prog band. There’s too much music to listen to a merely acceptable album more than once or twice though. Live I always thought they were if anything too precise and faithful to the recorded songs, which can be fun at a show but isn’t very interesting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Live I always thought they were if anything too precise and faithful to the recorded songs, which can be fun at a show but isn’t very interesting.

I've always heard this complaint about them but never understood it. Metal is a precision genre in a lot of ways. Bands don't really jam it out very often.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

They were on Chris Garza's podcast (dude from Suicide Silence) a few weeks ago — they're fun dudes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUX7FxuBGCM

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just discovered what might be my favorite release of 2023, just snuck in under the wire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH_OMt1q2Ms

Finnish doom whose whole schtick is that they're followers of an early 20th century puritanical Finnish Christian cult called Kartanoism? Sign me up. It rips real hard.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Mikael kept bringing this up in interviews for a good long while after Heritage and it always sounded kind of whiny to me. I'm a total sucker for the retro prog type sound they started doing, and I listen to a bunch of bands in that vein. I just don't think Opeth is very good at it.

Watershed does rule though.
I loved Pale Communion but Heritage was definitely 57:04 of audio. I guess I'm too dumb to get retro prog.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've always heard this complaint about them but never understood it. Metal is a precision genre in a lot of ways. Bands don't really jam it out very often.
Yeah, but Opeth isn't one of those precision bands. When a band spends a minute and a half just playing the same riff like the opening of Demon of the Fall, you expect a certain jam quality from their writing process to shine through in their live performances, and it just doesn't. Steven Wilson plays the same poo poo every time too, but he's smart enough to get Lasse Hoile and Jess Cope to deliver 80 minutes of visuals.

Mikael's frontman banter used to be charming and witty enough to paper over the cracks, but it's gotten harder now that he just sounds like his entire body is in pain 100% of the time.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 28, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I'm out of the loop, what happened to Mikael?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

Yeah, but Opeth isn't one of those precision bands. When a band spends a minute and a half just playing the same riff like the opening of Demon of the Fall, you expect a certain jam quality from their writing process to shine through in their live performances, and it just doesn't.

Actually, this is a great point. Sometimes Opeth riffs are chord progressions more than riffs (Intro to Blackwater Park) and they could totally jam on that stuff.

Hell Tool sometimes do a bit of a jam on-stage. I'm pretty sure mentioning Tool in this thread is a vaguely offensive thing to do, but I think this is the one time I could bring them up as a comparison!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Last new music Friday of 2023 and it's a bit light

Suicide Circle, dsbm
Déhà, dsbm
another Déhà, blackened death doom
Dominum on non-BC, pm
Fall of Gnosis, death doom
Arcaneblaze on non-BC, black thrash
Womb Rot, slam
Phyllomedusa, goregrind, noise

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

On the German front:
Lord of the Lost: Weapons of Mass Seduction (Goth/Glam Metal)
Song: Shock to the System

Dominum - Hey Living People (Power Metal)
Song: Hey Living People

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chris Garza doesn't have the most listenable speaking manner for hosting a show but he has an infectious enthusiasm and earnestness that gets the bands he interviews to say interesting stuff.

Notable moment: When Cattle Decapitation vocalist Ryan Travis explained his portable bidet solution for avoiding a poopy rear end while on tour.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

These popped up for me and they seem pretty solid:

Chaos Sanctuary - Tech
Stiriah - Meloblack

Definitely a slower week for metal.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 29, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Issaries posted:

Dominum - Hey Living People (Power Metal)
Song: Hey Living People

Panic! At the Slipknot's Gloryhammer

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

thought i missed a new portal album and got excited but it's an album called portal by a band called stiriah

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

thought i missed a new portal album and got excited but it's an album called portal by a band called stiriah

My bad, fixed. Also I'm old af so I always think of the Cynic offshoot when somebody mentions Portal and habitually forget that there's an Aussie band with the same name.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Also out:
The Great Guardian Of Forbidden Sorcery And Witchcraft by The Pale Stillness
https://moonworshipper.bandcamp.com/album/the-great-guardian-of-forbidden-sorcery-and-witchcraft
Noise influenced dungeon synth, kinda meh.

Deha actually put out half a dozen hour long tracks for Christmas. Though most felt kinda boring.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I enjoyed the new Horrendous songs live last night way more than I did just listening to the album, and they seem to have a lot of fun playing them. Outer Heaven kicked rear end as usual too. One of the most fun shows I can remember, helps to have a great crowd.. saw these tall twin sisters rock paper scissors battle on one knee in the middle of the floor to start a pit, truly :perfect:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anybody got some cool, flowy thrash that's come out recently?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

I'm gonna make a hot take here and say that Billy Idol's original is way better

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Nordick posted:

I'm gonna make a hot take here and say that Billy Idol's original is way better

Billy Idol rules.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Varg posted:

...great crowd.. saw these tall twin sisters rock paper scissors battle on one knee in the middle of the floor to start a pit, truly :perfect:

I love me a good pit gimmick. Had a guy who used to show up to all of our local hardcore/thrash shows and when the pit was quiet he would stand on one side, point his index finger out and start sweeping the crowd, waiting for someone to make direct eye contact. Once they did he would come flying at them like a ballistic missile. Goddamn I love pits

Counter that with my idiot friend who went to one of those big traveling fests & decided he was gonna be the tough guy that stood in the middle of the opening when one of the bands requested a wall of death/big pit kinda deal. Broke his forearm in two places when he got absolutely smacked & trampled

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
PSA: I Was just buying my top 10 of the year on bandcamp--Dead and Dripping and all of the Hoplites albums are pay what you want.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Modal Auxiliary posted:

These popped up for me and they seem pretty solid:

Chaos Sanctuary - Tech
Stiriah - Meloblack

Definitely a slower week for metal.

Chaos Sanctuary makes you feel the New Jersey all the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://blabbermouth.net/news/arch-...BXAkdcClpKd6BKk

Please make a nevermore clone please make a nevernore clone please please please

E: jeff loomis out of Arch Enemy