Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I am have ton of TTRPG pdfs I’d like to download on my old iPad. I’m looking for an app I can make folders in for ease of reference that can download straight from the browser. Any recommendations?

Calibre?

iBooks is quite good too if your iPad is new enough to support file downloads in send to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah iBooks is good.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

theironjef posted:

If it's Time Ship it's because it is an extremely silly outsider style game in which you play as yourself. The whole game is written like the user manual to a time travel device and gameplay is basically the GM describing a portal opening up in the room and all the players getting up and going through it. The rules are absolutely terrible, and the three adventures it comes with vacillate wildly between Doctor Who style silliness and sexually grody (one of the adventures is to visit Sodom in the days before the judgement of it and the first rules it has for that section are how the players will naturally want to gently caress local prostitutes so here's some STI rules). The stats are funnier than just charisma, you also have to decide which from a list of ancient weapons you are personally most familiar with and the GM has the job of reviewing your decision and deciding if you're being honest about it or not.
Timeship! That's the one. I thought it might have been the other terrible early-1980 Yaquinto RPG Man Myth & Magic, but that had an ordinary (if typically 1980s opaque) chargen system.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I use GoodReader but partly because it talks to Dropbox well and that’s where my Main Collection lives.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I am have ton of TTRPG pdfs I’d like to download on my old iPad. I’m looking for an app I can make folders in for ease of reference that can download straight from the browser. Any recommendations?

https://www.liquidtext.net/ owns. I mostly use it for vast arrays of PDFs I have in research folders for academic purposes. It syncs well with Dropbox and google docs.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

theironjef posted:

one of the adventures is to visit Sodom in the days before the judgement of it and the first rules it has for that section are how the players will naturally want to gently caress local prostitutes so here's some STI rules

Trad Games Chat: the players will naturally want to gently caress local prostitutes

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Looking at the Deadlands 20th Anniversary edition, it is extremely surreal to see all the same art pieces from the original books but redrawn and colored.
Any rules tweaks or was it just a reprint? I'd love to run a deadlands campaign sometime soon but there were a few things that bugged me about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splicer posted:

Any rules tweaks or was it just a reprint? I'd love to run a deadlands campaign sometime soon but there were a few things that bugged me about it.

I'd just run SWADE Deadlands. It's very good and there's a lot of stuff out for it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Splicer posted:

Not sure, I was looking at it more as a curiosity than anything.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Thanks for the suggestions, all, I was able to get iBooks to work and it does exactly what I needed it to. I appreciate it!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You can make folders in iBooks now? Is there an easy way to do that if you have a *lot* of folders? I recently decided to stop trying to make an Android tablet work (the app ecosystem is just not there), which was making me feel bad about all the work I did to get my PDF library precisely sorted in Calibre.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

There's something really melancholy about liking RPGs that nobody is gonna play. Unless I can convince my current group to play something (hard since we run campaigns for a long time), I'm basically out of luck, since most RPG forums are dead as gently caress outside of their mandatory D&D sections and Discords are weird places where its hard to actually filter users for weirdos because no one actually knows anybody there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just set up a new online group for the weird poo poo you want to run.

Recruit for shorter 2-4 session long games. (One session's not enough to weed out the weirdos.) Make your application thorough, it helps. Ask questions like "do you GM?" and "what other games have you played?" and "do you have interest in trying out any other systems?" If you liked anyone enough to want to keep interacting with them, invite them to the next thing you run. When you've collected enough people, run a longer game of whatever weird obscure system you want to run.

I even managed to cobble together a "let's take turns GMing various obscure poo poo we want to run" group using this method.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 25, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Whirling posted:

There's something really melancholy about liking RPGs that nobody is gonna play. Unless I can convince my current group to play something (hard since we run campaigns for a long time), I'm basically out of luck, since most RPG forums are dead as gently caress outside of their mandatory D&D sections and Discords are weird places where its hard to actually filter users for weirdos because no one actually knows anybody there.

One shots are your friend. Every DM should be happy to have a one session break.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Whirling posted:

I feel this, too. The online suggestions are... ok, I guess. I've had mediocre luck with online groups. I think things just work better with friends/people you already know. It's also much better if the game requires a vibe to really get it going.

Out of curiosity, which game(s) were you thinking of when you posted this?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Is there a thread for Matt colvilles new system? I've only heard about it through social media advertising, so I don't even know if anyone knows anything about the game yet. Just curious as to what the opinions are on it if any.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Is there a thread for Matt colvilles new system? I've only heard about it through social media advertising, so I don't even know if anyone knows anything about the game yet. Just curious as to what the opinions are on it if any.

It's in the process of crowdfunding, so the only things anyone knows about it is what was shared in the campaign:

https://www.backerkit.com/c/projects/mcdm-productions/mcdm-rpg

There was some discussion on rpg.net:

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/mcdms-fantasy-rpg-project.907940/

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Discussed for a bit in the crowdfunding thread and the D&D Next One thread

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Cool, thanks!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

Just set up a new online group for the weird poo poo you want to run.

Recruit for shorter 2-4 session long games. (One session's not enough to weed out the weirdos.) Make your application thorough, it helps. Ask questions like "do you GM?" and "what other games have you played?" and "do you have interest in trying out any other systems?" If you liked anyone enough to want to keep interacting with them, invite them to the next thing you run. When you've collected enough people, run a longer game of whatever weird obscure system you want to run.

I even managed to cobble together a "let's take turns GMing various obscure poo poo we want to run" group using this method.

Im trying to do this where do people recruit these days

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Benagain posted:

Really need to get an app together called Roll for adventure where you make yourself as a character and it assembles groups for online or local play with additional options for x-card preferences, content, system, and type of player.

Sucks all we got is meetup, old forums, and forgotten social media platforms.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Benagain posted:

Roll20 LFG and system specific Discord servers.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

To have access to actual system documents you'd have to be part of the Patreon, I suspect a dedicated thread will pop up when the public (i.e. preorder version) playtest documents start going out.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

PuttyKnife posted:

Really need to get an app together called Roll for adventure where you make yourself as a character and it assembles groups for online or local play with additional options for x-card preferences, content, system, and type of player.

Sucks all we got is meetup, old forums, and forgotten social media platforms.

There's already several of these. They all have the same problem, they don't have enough users to deliver reliable matches, especially not once the D&D-only crowd is removed. And yes, it's pretty melancholy.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The Industry Thread is currently ripping it apart, but it's difficult to say if the game is actually bad or if they just have a grudge against the devs.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

mellonbread posted:

The Industry Thread is currently ripping it apart, but it's difficult to say if the game is actually bad or if they just have a grudge against the devs.

Is Colville that contentious a person? He seems your standard innocuous ttrpg guy and lot the toxic version that’s popped up the last 10 years.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Benagain posted:

Roll20 has the biggest userbase of people searching for games. Set up a recruitment post there. Here's how I did it last time I recruited for something, set up something similar. (I believe it should be viewable, tell me if it's not.) It's important that you give people several weeks to find your post if you're recruiting for something that's not D&D.

If your system has a fan Discord, post a link to your Roll20 recruitment there. /r/lfg is hopeless, avoid it. I've had mixed success with /r/lfgmisc but try posting there anyway. There are other RPG group finding sites, but I believe most of them have near zero users. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

PuttyKnife posted:

Is Colville that contentious a person? He seems your standard innocuous ttrpg guy and lot the toxic version that’s popped up the last 10 years.
You know what I was confusing Matt Colville for the Critical Role guy, who also made a new system. That's the one the industry thread was making GBS threads on.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

mellonbread posted:

1) The Industry Thread is currently* ripping apart Candela Obscura, which is from Critical Role and thus is a stone's throw away from Colville but isn't the game he's making. (I mean, he isn't part of CR but he has a page on their wiki so you get the point.)

2) As far as I can tell, Candela Obscura is ultimately just a mediocre Blades in the Dark hack that stuck its foot in its mouth regarding mental health while trying to be good about it. The negative reaction is absolutely being blown out of proportion, because it's a mixture of disappointed CR fans, people who hate CR, people who think it fumbled social justice messages and people who think it's bad because it's #woke who haven't differentiated out into different layers yet.

*Well, it was ripping it apart a few days ago, by some standards, but :effort:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I actually expect a good section of this forum to be pretty into MCDM RPG when we see more playtest stuff, since the bits we've seen so far look like a very streamlined 4E. Grid combat, focus on heroic fantasy (no poo poo farmers), healing surges, nicely templated powers, very reskinnable, warlords, an attempt at balance.

They're being very open about how much 4E is an influence and it's no secret that Colville likes it

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I feel this, too. The online suggestions are... ok, I guess. I've had mediocre luck with online groups. I think things just work better with friends/people you already know. It's also much better if the game requires a vibe to really get it going.

Out of curiosity, which game(s) were you thinking of when you posted this?

off the top of my head:
-backed a game called Asunder, which uses the SOTDL engine like Lancer but is more geared towards sword and sandals stuff in a world where there's not enough metal so most functions performed by it are managed by bio-engineering. never got to play it.
-always did want to try Traveller since I'm really used to playing games with XP progression but Traveller's progression is mostly entirely based on how much credits you can stack.
-i am one of the last freaks in the world who is willing to run Exalted

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

mellonbread posted:

You know what I was confusing Matt Colville for the Critical Role guy, who also made a new system. That's the one the industry thread was making GBS threads on.

Yeah, as far as MCDMRPG goes I think most commentary was "this looks neat and I am excited" or, like myself, "this crowdfunding pitch is really thin and I am not part of the Matt Colville Prebuilt Hype Crew, and I'm not signing up for playtests and Discords just to know the current alpha draft of what I'm paying to receive in two years, sounds fine though, hope it turns out okay." I'll probably buy it in 2025 or whatever unless it turns out just mediocre.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah, as far as MCDMRPG goes I think most commentary was "this looks neat and I am excited" or, like myself, "this crowdfunding pitch is really thin and I am not part of the Matt Colville Prebuilt Hype Crew, and I'm not signing up for playtests and Discords just to know the current alpha draft of what I'm paying to receive in two years, sounds fine though, hope it turns out okay." I'll probably buy it in 2025 or whatever unless it turns out just mediocre.
I'm in for the books, even though I don't know much about it, and barely know who Matt Colville is. It seems to hit some solid notes for me. I've paid more for things I was less interested in. (I make bad financial crowdfunding decisions.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tarnop posted:

I actually expect a good section of this forum to be pretty into MCDM RPG when we see more playtest stuff, since the bits we've seen so far look like a very streamlined 4E. Grid combat, focus on heroic fantasy (no poo poo farmers), healing surges, nicely templated powers, very reskinnable, warlords, an attempt at balance.

They're being very open about how much 4E is an influence and it's no secret that Colville likes it
Tell me about ability scores

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Splicer posted:

Tell me about ability scores
From what I have gleaned - there's 4 of them, Might, Agility, Presence, and Reason. They work as straight bonuses to the 2d6 rolls you're making. (It actually doesn't even use d20's.)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hi, does posting about jigsaw puzzles go in this forum, or somewhere else?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dwarf74 posted:

From what I have gleaned - there's 4 of them, Might, Agility, Presence, and Reason. They work as straight bonuses to the 2d6 rolls you're making. (It actually doesn't even use d20's.)
Those are pretty good ability scores. Genuinely interested now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

actionjackson posted:

My wife and I do a jigsaw puzzle every year during christnas so I'm down.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I have been in the market for one of those table top things to do puzzles on. Would love a rec for “which one doesn’t suck.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cool i will make a thread