Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 04, 1960)

I'm just hoping that the next one ends with Valiant pouting because he wanted to be the one to shank Thrasos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
When they could get the boy to do it as part of his education?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
The women of the palace are going to chuck lawn darts (jarts) at Thrasos until he turns into a human pincushion

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 21, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Merry Christmas!!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

riderchop posted:

Zippy The Pinhead

Griffy should never draw his self-insert front-facing.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

:3: This is a very sweet Curtis.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing: timg for boobs

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing: timg for boobs

Some very good faces in this one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

riderchop posted:

Zippy The Pinhead

Excerpts from Wikipedia:

William Ely Hill (January 17, 1887 – December 9, 1962) was an American cartoonist and illustrator active in the first half of the 20th-century. He is best known for his weekly full-page illustration series "Among Us Mortals" published in the New York Tribune from 1916 to 1922, and for creating the most popular iteration of the optical illusion My Wife and My Mother-in-Law (1915).

Hill began publishing satirical illustrations of everyday people in the New York Tribune on April 9, 1916, with his first small cartoon. Just a few weeks later on April 23 of that year, his work was picked up for a weekly series titled "Among Us Mortals" that ran until an abrupt end six years later on May 14, 1922. Highly successful at the time, the series has been largely forgotten in the decades since. Many Americans living abroad at the end of World War I treasured "Among Us Mortals" for how much it reminded them of home, with countless letters to the editor sent in thanks to the New York Tribune for running the collection.

Dozens of "Among Us Mortals" spreads from both The Washington Times and the New York Tribune have been preserved by the Library of Congress's Chronicling America project for online viewing.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Is that a loving Chick Tract next to the cat at the bottom? That "Count your blessings" thing sure has the same dimensions as one!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I dont think they are hardcover books.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That shape isn't uncommon for kid's books, and it looks much larger than a Chick Tract in comparison to the other toys.

More importantly, this is probably recycled art from before the things were really common. Chick started making them in the late 60s, but they didn't get hugely common until Evangelism really got rolling in the mid-80s.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

1995, so it's not as old as all that...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah Garfield books came in that size but I don’t recall anyone else specifically.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
I'll be working on the new OP over the next week. PMs are open if you have thread title ideas. I also have a blind spot with a) old timey strips and b) foreign strips, so if you post these and have time to send a 1-2 sentence summary, I guarantee it would be better than anything I come up with.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah Garfield books came in that size but I don’t recall anyone else specifically.

Yeah now that you mention it, I also remember those form factor daily comic strip books.

Just considering all the general jesus poo poo in the strips I would've bet money on them being religious tracts.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

It's progress, I guess.

Skippy (December 16, 1935)

Peanuts (December 28, 1976)

Crankshaft, with special guest-star MY FATHER, JOHN DARLING.

Li'l Abner (June 13-15, 1935)

Making both potential guardians the worst is a pretty decent twist, as these things usually go.

Thimble Theater (July 30, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (August 26-28, 1943)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm glad all was not forgiven and forgotten in Sally Forth. That is progress. Maybe Mom really does need some psychiatric help.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

lol so the boys are going to get in trouble for stealing a selling the test answers, but Heart, who bought them, is gonna be fine because she didn't use them. What a loving rat.

KWANZAA CURTIS KWANZAA CURTIS

hey wait a minute, have we seen this one before?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm glad all was not forgiven and forgotten in Sally Forth. That is progress. Maybe Mom really does need some psychiatric help.
I'll reserve judgement until we actually see whether anything comes of it. The moment I think they're getting bored with it and trying to sweep it under the rug to go gently caress off on another hallucination vacation, though, I will be very vocal :argh:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Do you have Tom&Jerry crackers in the states? It's basically just sweet crackers that tastes like vanilla and is shaped like Tom and Jerry. Brunost is a type of cheese that's made by boiling milk, cream and whey. This process turns the milk sugars into caramel. This cheese contains a lot of sugar which can be dangerous. In 2013 a truck carrying brown cheese caught on fire in a tunnel. Because the cheese contains so much fat it burned for four days and the tunnel had to be closed for a month after the fire.
Zelda

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Vargo posted:

There was one a couple of years ago about a guy with a talking pet goldfish, I think? But it wasn't this one.

Alhazred posted:

Do you have Tom&Jerry crackers in the states? It's basically just sweet crackers that tastes like vanilla and is shaped like Tom and Jerry.

Sounds like our animal crackers, although they're shaped like various circus/zoo animals rather than cartoon characters.

Rhymes with Yuck

Get Fuzzy 12/25/03

Brenda Starr 4/28-30/52

Smokey Stover 10/5/58

Everyday Movies 2/2/37

"No snow shoveling job for us, eh, Duke? They have to work to keep warm."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/26-28/42

Jetpack Mailmen! 10/5/58

The Reaction Motors "rocket belt" may have been top-secret military stuff in 1958, but the Smithsonian has one now.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 26, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye

I am glad that Olive doesn't just have to be Popeye's girlfriend, but god drat Olive & Popeye just isn't great.

Selachian posted:

Jetpack Mailmen! 10/5/58

The Reaction Motors "rocket belt" may have been top-secret military stuff in 1958, but the Smithsonian has one now.

It's kinda weird that this is the poo poo they thought we'd be using in the future. Just jumping directly to "yeah mailmen will just hop around with rocket packs" without bothering to consider the much more realistic and helpful things we've actually developed like self-driving mail carts etc.

Just directly to "oh yeah and then the mailman will rocket pack jump from house to house" without bothering to consider if that's useful or even you know ... not potentially extremely deadly.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 26, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn’t last year’s Curtis Kwanza about a talking fish? This is not the same story, but it definitely had a talking pet fish who could grant wishes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, October 18-21, 1982

This continues to be the same story as Bone, and we're introduced to Phoney Bone and Gran'ma Ben. Gran'ma Ben's design evolves a bit in Bone, but character-wise, she's basically the same.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's kinda weird that this is the poo poo they thought we'd be using in the future. Just jumping directly to "yeah mailmen will just hop around with rocket packs" without bothering to consider the much more realistic and helpful things we've actually developed like self-driving mail carts etc.

Just directly to "oh yeah and then the mailman will rocket pack jump from house to house" without bothering to consider if that's useful or even you know ... not potentially extremely deadly.

It's always fun to see what these kinds of features guessed correctly and what they didn't. Back then being able to watch foreign TV was just as futuristic and fantastical as jetpack mailmen, and that's neat.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 11, 1960)

If you think it's out of character for Aleta to faint, Foster does provide an after-the-fact explanation of sorts in a few strips.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I am glad that Olive doesn't just have to be Popeye's girlfriend, but god drat Olive & Popeye just isn't great.

I think it's hurt a lot by the format. Randy is trying to squeeze one to two different 7-day long storylines into a twice a week comic that's also in a square panel usually associated with gag-a-day strips

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's an interesting sort of mental blind spot, a sort of imagination without vision. I'm sure that psychologists have a name for it. It's like seeing old Victorian futurism with, like, servants in clockwork rollerskates so they can light the gas lamps faster or something. Predicting the future by imagining we'll be doing the exact same things as today but with mechanical crap bolted on. Contrast the rocket mailman with the previous one of Von Braun predicting satellite based email. von Braun understood that we'd still be communicating but saw the actual potential of technology to change how we do it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

Flash Gordon

:sbahj: this Flash strip. Really made me see the difference between this and the other reboot strips, as well as other long format story strips.

I was thinking that yeah this Olive and Popeye strip kinda sucks. It's like the author has their heart in the right place but is permanently two seconds off having any of their beats hit, comedy or otherwise. And of course it could be compared to Trail, the bottom of the thread, or other long runners like Phantom(which has spent 3 years on-and-off sucking), or Mary Worth/Rex Morgan.

What seems to unify the best strips and the good moments in some of these other strips is classic story telling punctuated by an antagonist, while the bad ones throw a cast(often too many) into a place and don't do much with them. The Phantom is kinda cool when him and Sarvana are kicking the asses of a prison full of fascist thugs but otherwise eternally sniffs it's own farts about the nameless, vague threat of the prophecy. Trail hasn't had a villain it respects since it started. When are Mary and Rex best? When we have a big stupid heel to sink our emotions into. Even Keith is the most entertaining thing in Mary Worth right now!

But :drat: , look at that Ming. Dude appears in four strips of the whole run so far and his presence can overshadow anything in the story instantly. I can't wait for his return.

For contrast Olive and Popeye is probably going to go meet Charon and he'll be like awwww shuuucckss I'm just worn out from modern living hahaha being alive in the present day sure is emotionally draining hee hee and took a vacation! Randy does the same with his Popeye, only Hag has any teeth and he lets those stories crash and burn. "I pulled a D-lister from the wiki" isn't a hook for a villain(the CEO guy in the alternating weekly strip), it's a cool extra if the villain is any good when you use them or their history!

You could say slice of life strips don't need primary antagonists but these strips aren't that good in the first place. Can't really evade tropes if you don't have control of them to begin with and of course Popeye strikes me as a strip where there should be some stakes and somebody to punch. Making it two discount webcomics hasn't been a gain.

Maybe it's cheating to compare the other strips to Dan's work, much like comparing anyone to Foster and Valiant.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 26, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kick his rear end, Ming.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "462 - Jucika And The Ship Inauguration"

"részeg fráter = drunk bastard"

"463 - Jucika Wakes Up"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J Mega Holiday Catch-up Post

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medenmath posted:

It's always fun to see what these kinds of features guessed correctly and what they didn't. Back then being able to watch foreign TV was just as futuristic and fantastical as jetpack mailmen, and that's neat.

Yeah, it's always wild. The example I go back to is the pen & paper RPG Shadowrun. It was a cyberpunk game with magic, so they did a lot of really futuristic sci-fi stuff, but couldn't foresee for instance wireless networking.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/26-28/42

You guys... even if the third person you meet turned out to be another horrible woman-hating old crank, you can still get married! It's like when you flip a coin to figure out which option you actually wanted. It's clearly what you want to do! Just get married!

I was worried my dude was about to have amnesia. Glad Schkade didn't go cliche!

Luann

Gil Thorp

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vargo posted:

KWANZAA CURTIS KWANZAA CURTIS

Its resolution being incredibly tiny would suggest so.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah giving her some interests outside Popeye is good, but she's completely unrecognizable as a person compared to the classic Thimble Theater being posted.

Huxley posted:

A+J Mega Holiday Catch-up Post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

The thing about Olive Oyl and the Mystery Gang is that the artist has somehow fused sleepiness, sympathy, and horniness into a single weird emotion that all of the characters are feeling about 90% of the time. No matter what the plot's supposed to be, really it's this group of friends walking from place to place and being sleepily supportive and encouraging of one another's horny sleepiness, which turns them on and makes them drowsy, for which they feel considerately apologetic, tiredly, in an arousing way. "I'd love to lazy-gently caress with you guys," their postures and expressions seem to say, "because I can see you all want to, and I support that, but I can barely stay awake." "Oh, I totally get it, I fully understand, with all my heart I feel what you feel," they all simultaneously reply, with their bedroom eyes. "I'd have dozed off myself, except I'm gagging for a root." "Poor thing!"

By god, won't some ghost or ferryman of the dead or enterprising sailor-man diddle these poor women so they can move on with their lives??