Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am gonna be a dick, but we kinda forget how good we have it in parts of the world. like yeah everywhere has issues and awful poo poo, but i dont have to worry about NASA launching a rocket and pieces of it landing on my house or yard and then having the whole thing covered up.

Actually if a piece of spacex poo poo falls on your house the whole thing will be covered up as a function of state law. While, yes, NASA will not blow up your home and the federal government won't cover that up. Instead, Elon Musk will blow up your home and the states of Florida and Texas will prevent you from doing anything about it/publishing anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Actually if a piece of spacex poo poo falls on your house the whole thing will be covered up as a function of state law. While, yes, NASA will not blow up your home and the federal government won't cover that up. Instead, Elon Musk will blow up your home and the states of Florida and Texas will prevent you from doing anything about it/publishing anything about it.

true.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

The great country distributes means of space travel freely to the people.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What in the ever living gently caress...

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This is just the central committee making sure everyone has equal access to rocket boosters in their village like Marx would have wanted

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Porfiriato posted:

It’s almost the year two thousand twenty four and China is still raining rocket boosters on villages in Guangxi

https://twitter.com/whyyoutouzhele/status/1739669174622761386

That's just a piece of sheet metal, it probably wouldn't hurt anybo... :stare:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Fantuan, but for carcinogens

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
That poo poo has already been taken to a scrap metal buyer or repurposed into large 烧烤 cooking surfaces.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Tai posted:

What in the ever living gently caress...

They built all their launch sites very far inland during the cold war to make them more defensible. The trade off is sometimes you explode a few peasants whose families can't say poo poo about it or else their organs get sold.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just don't get why they're still dropping bombs on villagers. They built a launch facility in Hainan, which is a more efficient launch site since it's closer to the equator and also goes over the ocean so it's safe. I get no one in leadership cares about blowing up a village since rural people are irrelevant, but like. At this point you're going out of your way to do it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they have to keep the inland capability because the hainanese one is vulnerable to navies, i imagine

and keeping capability means practicing

no chinese launch provider (not a single launch provider, to be honest) is economically competitive with spacex. so it's all for national reasons

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Probably because China doesn't give a poo poo about poor people.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they have to keep the inland capability because the hainanese one is vulnerable to navies, i imagine

and keeping capability means practicing

no chinese launch provider (not a single launch provider, to be honest) is economically competitive with spacex. so it's all for national reasons

I suppose Taiyuan and Jiuquan make sense for polar orbits too, and fuckin nobody lives anywhere near there. But Xichang is just stupid to continue operating. It'd be like NASA launching out of the west Chicago suburbs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That’s not an old video, is it? It looks remarkably similar to one I’ve already seen. But maybe I’m misremembering.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

The trade off is sometimes you explode a few peasants whose families can't say poo poo about it or else their organs get sold.

This is just like Amerikkka, the shining beacon that all westerners hold in the highest esteem

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If you don't want to live in Booster Rocket Impact Zone then maybe you should move out of the Booster Rocket Impact Zone instead of looking for the government to fix everything for you?!?!?

what happened to common sense

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Toxic Mental posted:

lol what a joke of a country and so is anyone who stans for it

If you stan any country you are a joke

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

thetoughestbean posted:

what about Sea Land

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bum the Sad posted:

what about Sea Land

a joke with encyclopedic knowledge of the world’s various age of consent laws

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

thetoughestbean posted:

Then why is -stan in so many countries' name?

:thunk:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

bad_fmr posted:

The great country distributes means of space travel freely to the people.

A real very cyberpunk thing (so actually dystopian and awful) is that there was a local Kazakh industry of Roscosmos rocket debris salvagers

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Tell that to twitter

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

edit: nm thinking of The Lecher

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

They could use a safer flight path , they could use a safer fuel source in the first stage but gently caress it, let it rip right over land.

The chatter in the international community about the default to uncontrolled decay of decommissioned satellites and other large space debris has been getting louder the last few years too. They’ve gotten lucky but eventually someone or something of note is going to get smashed.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Mr. Nice! posted:

Looking into it.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Looking into it.
Interesting.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Concerning.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1739795587984220207

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a second anal bead cheating scandal, this one in xiangqi, jesus christ on a stick

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

what the hell

quote:

The association was also forced to address rumours circulating online that Yan had cheated during the competition by using anal beads equipped with wireless transmitters to send and receive signals.

Yan allegedly clenched and unclenched rhythmically to communicate information about the chess board via code to a computer, which then sent back instructions on what moves to make in the form of vibrations, according to reports circulating on the Chinese social site Weibo.

“Based on our understanding of the situation, it is currently impossible to prove that Yan engaged in cheating via ‘anal beads’ as speculated on social media,” the CXA said.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

if it actually worked that way, he deserves a reward just for pulling it off. how do you expeditiously communicate the complexities of the board state via anal morse code?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
At that point the amount of effort being put in is so outrageous that you would think you'd get more returns on just learning the game at a deeper level.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

china shamelessly copying western anal bead cheating strategies?!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

rn a chainsmoking Chinese detective is analyzing poo poo splatter trajectories in the tub for evidence

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Edutainment for teaching morse code

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Rinkles posted:

what the hell

lol i had no idea the Its Always Sunny plot point of Frank cheating at chess using anal beads was based off a headline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WycN_ZklJBo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you only need a single bit of information to cheat at chess. read the comments on this one https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/01/cheating_at_che.html

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Big rear end On Fire posted:

The chatter in the international community about the default to uncontrolled decay of decommissioned satellites and other large space debris has been getting louder the last few years too. They’ve gotten lucky but eventually someone or something of note is going to get smashed.

Re-entering space debris really isn't that dangerous to people / stuff on the ground. One, it's a big planet and a lot of very small targets. Two, more importantly, anything in orbit is really flimsy. While pieces may reach the ground, it is usually small scraps and unlikely to kill someone even if you did get a direct hit. It is not like a car landing on you. More like some sheet metal and tinfoil.

(Note: this is different from a spent lower stage, as seen in above vids. That is big and strong by comparison, has some heavy engines on the bottom, and generally a few hundred pounds of leftover fuel and oxidizer still inside. Nasty even if it isn't super toxic UDMH.)

Controlled de-orbit of old satellites is I think more about space junk being a problem in space for other spacecraft.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah the vast, VAST majority of space junk that gets deorbited won't even make it to airplane level before incinerating itself into ash, let alone the ground. the space junk problem is because anything larger than a baseball or so needs to be tracked and accounted for, so cleanup efforts make things easier for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/05/10/nasa-chief-criticizes-china-for-uncontrolled-rocket-re-entry/

quote:

NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said Saturday that China is failing to meet “responsible standards” on space debris after a massive Long March rocket stage fell back to Earth over the Indian Ocean in an uncontrolled re-entry that is likely to be repeated with additional launches next year.

The approximately 100-fo0t-long (30-meter), 21.6-metric ton (23.8-ton) rocket booster fell out of orbit and plunged into the atmosphere late Saturday (U.S. time), according to U.S. and Chinese authorities. The rocket succumbed to aerodynamic drag and re-entered the atmosphere on a northwest-to-southeast pass over the Arabian Peninsula and Indian Ocean.

Most of the rocket was expected to burn up during re-entry. Debris that survived the scorching temperatures of re-entry likely fell in the Indian Ocean near the Maldives, according to the China Manned Space Engineering Office.

The rocket dropped into the atmosphere at nearly 17,000 mph (28,000 kilometers per hour). Friction generated from the rocket encountering air molecules caused temperatures to build up to thousands of degrees.

The Aerospace Corp., a California-based research center, expected about five to ten metric tons of material from the rocket to survive re-entry and reach Earth’s surface.

The Long March 5B rocket stage launched April 28 with the Tianhe core module for China’s space station. Rather than executing a controlled deorbit burn, the core stage remained in a low-altitude orbit after deploying the Tianhe space station module.

Atmospheric drag gradually pulled the huge rocket back to Earth, resulting in the unguided re-entry late Saturday. The rocket could have fallen anywhere moon Earth between 41.5 degrees north and south latitude, an area roughly bounded by New York City and Chicago in the north, and Wellington, New Zealand, in the south.

Although the falling rocket debris was unlikely to harm anyone, the small risk of danger captured worldwide attention. U.S., Russian, and European space surveillance authorities tracked the rocket and issued regularly-updated predictions of when and where the core stage might re-enter the atmosphere.

NASA Administrator Bill Nelson, who was sworn in as the space agency’s head last week, criticized China for leaving the rocket to make an uncontrolled re-entry.

“Spacefaring nations must minimize the risks to people and property on Earth of re-entries of space objects and maximize transparency regarding those operations,” Nelson said in a statement. “It is clear that China is failing to meet responsible standards regarding their space debris.

“It is critical that China and all spacefaring nations and commercial entities act responsibly and transparently in space to ensure the safety, stability, security, and long-term sustainability of outer space activities,” Nelson said.

The unusual design Long March 5B rocket uses a large core stage with two main engines fed by liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen propellants. Four smaller strap-on boosters, each powered by a pair of kerosene-fueled engines, give the rocket an extra burst of energy off the launch pad.

Most rockets have first stage boosters that do not reach orbital velocity. Those rocket stages fall downrange or perform controlled landings to be reused again, leaving an upper stage to finish the task of placing satellites into orbit.

In many cases, U.S., Russian, and European rockets deorbit their upper stages to re-enter the atmosphere over a remote part of the ocean. Chinese rockets typically leave their upper stages in orbit.

What’s different about the Long March 5B is the rocket’s massive core stage, which is tied as the fourth-most massive object to ever re-enter the atmosphere in an uncontrolled manner, according to a list maintained by Jonathan McDowell, an astronomer and expert on spaceflight activity.