Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Huxley posted:

A+J Mega Holiday Catch-up Post

Forget 'pearls before swine' (the adage, not the comic strip); this is 'gourmet before a stupid cat'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Huxley posted:

Naughty little detail on the her onsy.

Huxley posted:

As a cat lover.... lol

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Doomykins posted:

Randy does the same with his Popeye, only Hag has any teeth and he lets those stories crash and burn. "I pulled a D-lister from the wiki" isn't a hook for a villain(the CEO guy in the alternating weekly strip), it's a cool extra if the villain is any good when you use them or their history!

You could say slice of life strips don't need primary antagonists but these strips aren't that good in the first place. Can't really evade tropes if you don't have control of them to begin with and of course Popeye strikes me as a strip where there should be some stakes and somebody to punch. Making it two discount webcomics hasn't been a gain.

This is 100% accurate, and in fact I'd go a little further: none of the characters, pro- or antagaonist, really feel distinctive. They're practically interchangeable apart from the "bad guy" characters being a bit more of an rear end than the good guys. I think the one that comes closest to being her own character is Linden, the Sea Hag's intern (who if I'm not mistaken is a Randy original character), and even she's pretty close to the character baseline; she just embodies it better.

The overall "snarky and depressed but with a heart of gold" tone works amazingly well in Something Positive, which Randy has been drawing for something like 20 years and has been my favorite webcomic for most of that time. But it just isn't a good match for Popeye.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm calling it: Ming stole Barin's body as part of his insidious plan to return.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm calling it: Ming stole Barin's body as part of his insidious plan to return.

Wouldn't that mean he would have to marry his daughter, as Barin was supposed to?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Breadmaster posted:

Wouldn't that mean he would have to marry his daughter, as Barin was supposed to?

Presumably he'll enter the "gently caress everything up" stage of his insidious scheme before getting around to anything like that.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Breadmaster posted:

Well, he is evil.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh planck. You are so hopeful and so happy as if the melodrama that has been crushing you relentlessly just hasn't happened deep enough.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

thinking of this thread: out antiquing with family, and i just stumbled across a rose is rose collection

god i hate that strip

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

hexwren posted:

thinking of this thread: out antiquing with family, and i just stumbled across a rose is rose collection

god i hate that strip
What, you don't think people are hardcore biker rebels for having a single drop of hot sauce in their food?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is it old enough that the dad's feeder fetish is still part of it?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 22, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

Do you have Tom&Jerry crackers in the states? It's basically just sweet crackers that tastes like vanilla and is shaped like Tom and Jerry. Brunost is a type of cheese that's made by boiling milk, cream and whey. This process turns the milk sugars into caramel. This cheese contains a lot of sugar which can be dangerous. In 2013 a truck carrying brown cheese caught on fire in a tunnel. Because the cheese contains so much fat it burned for four days and the tunnel had to be closed for a month after the fire.

I think I’ve seen Brunost in my local grocery under the label “Ski Queen.” It was a really decadent treat for a cheese board I set up at a party.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

What, you don't think people are hardcore biker rebels for having a single drop of hot sauce in their food?
Don't forget garlic breath being a warcrime!

I wonder if Rose is Rose was always Like That from the very start.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Breadmaster posted:

He realized this AFTER the swap, and that's why instead of returning triumphantly, he hosed off to go fishing until the situation changes.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Zereth posted:

The thread title would not apply to Rose is Rose

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

hexwren posted:

god i hate that strip

So how much did you buy it for?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/27/52

Archie 2/7-9/49

And now, to replace Tom Corbett, another short-lived strip, this one written by someone you may be familiar with:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 10/11-13/76

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, it's always wild. The example I go back to is the pen & paper RPG Shadowrun. It was a cyberpunk game with magic, so they did a lot of really futuristic sci-fi stuff, but couldn't foresee for instance wireless networking.
It’s like rereading Neuromancer and seeing how often people use payphones.

We Are Reproducing

We also have a new, seasonal chapter of Bardiche Hotel: Chapter 9, Snow

Definitely one of Q-Rais’ most Adventure-Time-lookin’ characters yet.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"You always were a clumsy dickens!" is a response to this situation, I guess.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Her jaw is giving me nightmares.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

So how much did you buy it for?

i did not buy it. five bucks can buy many other, more interesting things.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
better words for ed:

Prep The Bull/ Berth El Pup
Dustin is Dead
Dustin is Gone
Nobody Loves Dustin
Everyone Hates Dustin
Free Dozen Donuts

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Zereth posted:

I'm out of the loop on this one, what's the problem with Rose is Rose?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Breadmaster posted:

It's simultaneously:
-Insufferably twee
-Thinly disguised fat/feeder fetish stuff
-Extremely 50s sensibilities about spiciness and garlic

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
And poo poo.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A while ago, my parents went traveling and cleaned out their fridge at me. One of the things in the pile was "spicy artichoke cheese dip." So I got some chips, opened it, and only then found out that what this meant was a few jalapenos in a tub of cream cheese and sour cream. It was good and I finished it, but it was literally 0% spicy. I don't think any capsaicin even made it into the mixture to be drowned in dairy.

This has been my review of Rose is Rose.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Oh so it's a step removed from 9CL, I think I get it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Breadmaster posted:

moshtwy it'sh da bwaybwee chawactoh who fwukkin tawksh wike dish aww da gawd dam twyme

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 27, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Breadmaster posted:

Oh so it's a step removed from 9CL, I think I get it.

just remove the horniness and it's about as interesting

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fire Tyler Into The Sun, Who Cares About Him

Remember Frankenhole? The Thomas Jefferson Episode Still Makes Me Chuckle When I Think About It For The loving Audacity Of The Premise

Simple and Keith Is The Way That She's Making Him Feel Tonight

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (November 11-15, 2004)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Hostile V posted:

Simple and Keith Is The Way That She's Making Him Feel Tonight

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Breadmaster posted:

It's fine. It was cute. The art was good. It made me happy.

But different strokes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Breadmaster posted:

the

HORRIBLE

BABY TALK

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Definitely one of Q-Rais’ most Adventure-Time-lookin’ characters yet.

Special Guest Author: Kate Bush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

It's simultaneously:
-Insufferably twee
-Thinly disguised fat/feeder fetish stuff
-Extremely 50s sensibilities about spiciness and garlic
Don't forget, The wife is all "I am INDEPENDENT BIKER LADY over even the slightest hint of spicy or anything even slightly unusual, and the dad has those Garbage Moments. You know, a small moment when he's not in the house with his wife or kid. And having some kind of Super Peaceful Moment With The universe despite holding a bag of literal garbage. It kinda paints a picture that despite appearances this is an incredibly unhappy marriage. Both of them would rather be literally anywhere else.