Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I thought metal tanks were a crash requirement. That's why the dirt only DRZ had a plastic tank, and the street legal ones have metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-P
Apr 21, 2016

Deeters posted:

I thought metal tanks were a crash requirement. That's why the dirt only DRZ had a plastic tank, and the street legal ones have metal.

My drz has a plastic tank.

Ive never seen a metal drz tank I dont think. Dr650 has a metal tank.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The SM drz has a metal tank

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Deeters posted:

I think it's this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Various very fast Ducatis have plastic tanks

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Plastic gas tanks are bad when:
1) The PO stripped a screw that holds a dirtbike/Supermoto fairing to the gas tank and so you can never remove the screw.
2) They reach 15-20 years old and they become brittle and crack. (Issue I've had on two cars now...)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The SM drz has a metal tank

So does the S.

And to your Ducati example, I was thinking that was because they were low and protected by the frame. But I just remembered that my old Blast had a plastic tank, fully exposed to any crash or drop, so I take back my guess.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
my drz's metal tank evap line broke off internally and dumped a tank of gas while filling it up to go to work.

MetaJew posted:

Plastic gas tanks are bad when:
1) The PO stripped a screw that holds a dirtbike/Supermoto fairing to the gas tank and so you can never remove the screw.

Soldering iron with a blunt tip. heat the old one out. press in a new nutsert. done.

Plastic tanks go bad when the tanks don't equalize properly because of the hokey evap system and its various half dozen one way valves. The dealer fix is to just drill a hole in each tank and put a tube between the tanks.

If you guessed KTM, you guessed right.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What year goldwing? I thought they were all metal?

'21, looked like an ABS tank to me unless there's a shroud over it (I've only had half the body work off and wasn't messing with anything that required removing the tank)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

cursedshitbox posted:

my drz's metal tank evap line broke off internally and dumped a tank of gas while filling it up to go to work.

Soldering iron with a blunt tip. heat the old one out. press in a new nutsert. done.

If you guessed KTM, you guessed right.

How'd you guess that mine was a KTM? :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Just a hunch.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Mechanical opinions time:

In short, a 2007 KTM 250 SXF with a new piston, cylinder, head, has this behavior in the linked video. Must have sound on. It starts great, but the hotter it gets it starts to miss, eventually stalling. I fear something is mechanically "sticking" as it gets hot and thermal expansion occurs. I tore it down and didnt see anything though. I did not replace the bottom end when I did this - the crank bearings and conrod had no play.

https://imgur.com/a/JXR5uk9

Long story:

I picked up a free 2007 KTM 250 SXF last year originally with the intention of hanging it over the entrance to the hero section on my woods track as fine art. However, the besides the top end of the motor, the bike was in really good shape - all the bearings were good, brakes were great. I decided to tear down the top end to see what we had.

The top end clearly had a seized cam. The cam bridge has brass jets to shoot oil on the cam journals, and they were all melted. The exhaust cam was destroyed on its bearing surface. The bottom end tested good - no play in the con-rod or crank. A friend happened to have a piston, cylinder, and head for FREE on his shelf from way back in the day. I purchased a new cam bridge and chain, re-used the intake cam, and ebayed an exhaust cam. Full disclosure I repolished the cam bearing surface cuz it wasn't the absolute smoothest, but it was after I was done. I washed out the bottom end with gas to get anything out of there, and rebuilt with all new parts.

Bike starts and runs great as you can see in the video, until it heats up and starts that missing/binding noise.

Any ideas what to do next? I would love it if I did something stupid and it was a simple "replace this" fix.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are you sure you aren't just losing spark?

Valve clearances ok?

You could check if it's physically seizing by using the kick starter when it stalls and seeing if it still turns over ok

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 18, 2023

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Are you sure you aren't just losing spark?

Its never seized after stalled - clearances are within spec. No idea on spark. Spark is big and fat on the stand. I wouldn't expect the coil would get very hot when running so unsure how its related to it starting when hot or more importantly, how to test that. Could just blindly swaptronix it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm thinking the crank pickup is overheating or even the stator coil itself

You can test it using an inline spark tester

If the clearances are ok and it isn't physically seizing there isn't much else it can be tbh

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You can test it using an inline spark tester

woah never seen one of these before - cool. I'll give it a try, thanks for the lead. My local dirtbike group thinks its spark or the oil pump is bad causing the cams to snag

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think if the cams were binding you'd feel it on the kick starter

The way it so neatly drops out one combustion event at a time instead of running raggedly just screams spark to me

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Get a spray bottle and mist some water over the ignition parts and see if it gets worse.

What does the spark plug look like? Wet/fuely/sooty by any chance?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

Get a spray bottle and mist some water over the ignition parts and see if it gets worse.

What does the spark plug look like? Wet/fuely/sooty by any chance?

Did all that - no response, spark plugs new.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I think if the cams were binding you'd feel it on the kick starter

The way it so neatly drops out one combustion event at a time instead of running raggedly just screams spark to me

When my cams siezed on my 2016 KTM it took forever to figure out what was going on because it'd just restart and go. That had slightly different behavior though, at high load it'd just slowly die.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

shacked up with Brenda posted:

Did all that - no response, spark plugs new.

Do you mean 'the spark plugs are freshly installed' or 'the spark plugs look as if they were never used'?
Checking the plugs can tell you if an engine is running too lean or too rich. If it loses spark, i'd expect a damp, possibly somewhat sooty plug.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

Do you mean 'the spark plugs are freshly installed' or 'the spark plugs look as if they were never used'?
Checking the plugs can tell you if an engine is running too lean or too rich. If it loses spark, i'd expect a damp, possibly somewhat sooty plug.

The plug is brand new and when its examined after one of these events its a nice beautiful brown. There's no intake leaks, the jetting and accelerator pump is per MXA specs, no stumbles or halts in the rev up, no bogs.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

An overnight post on VitalMX also thinks its the oil pump. So while I wait for the spark tester I'm going to do a tear down again and check that. I'll also (again) blow out the oil passages.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

i didn't do any winterizing for my xr-150 or my ruckus because i didn't have a car and expected to ride these through the winter. in a turn of events, i was given a van (hell yeah) but i still intend to ride these bikes this winter. what should i do to keep them in a good state? should i let them idle occasionally or what? it'll be a couple weeks between rides i'm sure, especially when the snow comes.

also i acquired an "atv" trickle charger in a box of junk i found and it seems to be in working order. i'm gonna do some googling but the directions say i need to take the battery out of the bike to use it. that sounds like a big pain in the rear end. should i just keep two batteries laying around for each bike?

probably should've posted these in the newbies thread but i thought it might get more eyes here. thanks a ton!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

knuthgrush posted:

i didn't do any winterizing for my xr-150 or my ruckus because i didn't have a car and expected to ride these through the winter. in a turn of events, i was given a van (hell yeah) but i still intend to ride these bikes this winter. what should i do to keep them in a good state? should i let them idle occasionally or what? it'll be a couple weeks between rides i'm sure, especially when the snow comes.

also i acquired an "atv" trickle charger in a box of junk i found and it seems to be in working order. i'm gonna do some googling but the directions say i need to take the battery out of the bike to use it. that sounds like a big pain in the rear end. should i just keep two batteries laying around for each bike?

probably should've posted these in the newbies thread but i thought it might get more eyes here. thanks a ton!

Idling them will do more harm than good, don't start them unless you're going to actually ride them long enough to get the oil hot. Just keep em on a tender til then.

You do not need to remove the battery to hook up a tender.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

opengl posted:

Idling them will do more harm than good, don't start them unless you're going to actually ride them long enough to get the oil hot. Just keep em on a tender til then.

You do not need to remove the battery to hook up a tender.

Rad, thanks!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
A couple of weeks between rides is not that long but if it can stretch longer I’d consider topping up with non-etanol fuel or fuel stabiliser when you park them. Ofc more relevant if they are carbed.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

knuthgrush posted:

Wait, how recent are these bikes? The XR-150 probably has a carburetor, but aren't recent Ruckuses fuel injected? You don't have to worry about winterizing fuel injected bikes, unless you're thinking old-timer stuff like rubbing oil on exposed chrome parts (can't even think of any of that on the Ruckus).

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slide Hammer posted:

You don't have to worry about winterizing fuel injected bikes.
I'm not saying this statement is wrong, but I had a minor issue with my fuel injected previous bike. The last winter I stored it I did everything wrong. It sat for months with less than half a tank of E10 in an unheated space subject to temperature swings. Once spring came and I rode it I had the engine stumble a few times and stall once when it was going to idle at a red light. After I topped up with fresh gas it was like normal again so my guess is there was barely enough water in the fuel to become an issue.

Current bike is sitting with a nearly full tank of E5 fancy fuel with a splash of stabilizer and I have every confidence it will run like a champ come spring.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Anyone know what the go is with Ducati 2V belt intervals in mileage instead of age? The belts on my mts1100 are meant to be replaced every 2 or 5 years depending on who you ask. Cool, great, I’ll split the difference and make it 3ish.

But I’ve also put 30,000 km on the bike in the last 18 months. That’s probably more than ten years of typical Ducati use. Am I being an idiot to leave them on?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would replace those yeah, you can do a visual check to see if there's any cracking etc but if you've got a particular vintage and construction of belt, sometimes the stitches holding the two ends together can snap abruptly and there's no real way to see that coming in advance.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Slide Hammer posted:

Wait, how recent are these bikes? The XR-150 probably has a carburetor, but aren't recent Ruckuses fuel injected? You don't have to worry about winterizing fuel injected bikes, unless you're thinking old-timer stuff like rubbing oil on exposed chrome parts (can't even think of any of that on the Ruckus).

both are 2023, both are carbed.

Supradog posted:

A couple of weeks between rides is not that long but if it can stretch longer I’d consider topping up with non-etanol fuel or fuel stabiliser when you park them. Ofc more relevant if they are carbed.

i only ever run non-ethanol in them. i'll toss some fuel stabilizer in them when i do the same for the lawnmower.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

I would replace those yeah, you can do a visual check to see if there's any cracking etc but if you've got a particular vintage and construction of belt, sometimes the stitches holding the two ends together can snap abruptly and there's no real way to see that coming in advance.

Yeah, that seems reasonable. My maths was off, and I've done about 23k on them - which is just shy of the 24k that ducati spec the same belt for on a scrambler 1100 these days - so, um, yeah.

Next question: clogged fuel filter- that'd cause a lean condition and corresponding high temperatures yeah?

How I got to the timing belt question in the first place was that the bike's started struggling a bit at high revs and overheating (again, at high revs) halfway through a road trip to my mum's for Christmas. It all started after a particular tank of fuel at a suspiciously cheap country station

My first thought was/is clogged fuel filter, but I've been checking off potential issues on a ease-of-access basis rather than a likelihood of being the culprit because I don't have my own garage here. Plugs I can check in the driveway. No problem. Belt tension and oil? Yeah, fine. It doesn't seem like a timing thing but I may as well see if my engine's cactus. They seem ok.

Taking the fuel tank off this thing? Yeah, gently caress that, let's check the easy stuff first.

Anyway, all the other stuff has checked out fine, and now I'm looking at pulling the tank and inspecting/replacing the filter because all the other stuff hasn't turned anything up and I still have the same issue - low power at high revs, high temperatures at high revs - and it's a 2000km trip home so I want to sort it out before I head off.

So, um, yeah, I am barking up a reasonable tree, right? Clogged filter: lean mix, less power, high temperatures?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can have a go doing the fuel filter, it won't hurt, and if it was literally dirty fuel that could happen, but my gut tells me you'll get in there and find it's the pump or perhaps a crack in an internal line. Or it's totally unrelated and you have a vacuum leak or bad clearances or something.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

You can have a go doing the fuel filter, it won't hurt, and if it was literally dirty fuel that could happen, but my gut tells me you'll get in there and find it's the pump or perhaps a crack in an internal line. Or it's totally unrelated and you have a vacuum leak or bad clearances or something.

Sigh. Judging by the metal particles I'm seeing in my plastic fuel tank your gut was right about the pump.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol rip

You might have to scoop out the injectors and blast the back of them out with some compressed air in case stuff made it past the filter and is sitting on the little intake meshes they've got

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Lol rip

You might have to scoop out the injectors and blast the back of them out with some compressed air in case stuff made it past the filter and is sitting on the little intake meshes they've got

:(

Yah, I figured. Any hot tips on cleaning the tank and fuel flange out when I replace the pump?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Compressed air is your friend, I would avoid any kind of substances on your plastic tank or the associated gaskets.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

VitalMX seems to be right - it was an oil starvation problem.

Problem now is I have no root cause - I've got it stripped down to the cases and blew out the oil passages again. I dissasembled the oil pump (I didn't do that on rebuild) but it looks mint. Blew out all those passages too. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I find it hard to believe the engine was outright stopping with the scuffing being that minor, you'd expect the metal to look friction welded. It also would drop out sporadically like it was, it would just stop.