Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/KobeissiLetter/status/1739682257508397300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Isn’t reducing staff numbers and/or hours about the only threat that small businesses owners have that they can aim at local government? Reducing jobs is something that the local officials might actually care about.

Raising prices (or the threat) isn’t going to get much traction. And everyone knows that the owners crying crocodile tears about earning less money themselves is not going to get any sympathy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hey, it only costs us 10 grand to do this thing, but we're gonna charge 40 grand. Number go up!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Hey, it only costs us 10 grand to do this thing, but we're gonna charge 40 grand. Number go up!

Imagine being so stupid you pay money to let elon give you a lobotomy

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Times is saying different:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/07/realestate/home-prices-fall-over-a-year.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

The idea that any insurance company will cover this ever, much less next year, is, well, you probably need a chip in your head to be that optimistic.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mustached Demon posted:

Imagine being so stupid you pay money to let elon give you a lobotomy

well, then you can meet him on his level

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Elem7 posted:

You know its one thing when fast food franchisees complain about minimum wage laws, but this idiot is charging $200 for loving haircuts and complaining? He's paying his employees in a low overhead business minimum wage while charging those rates? The lack of shame and self awareness is mind boggling, and the "journalist" who can print that tripe without any challenge should be fired out of a cannon with him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Animal-Mother posted:

well, then you can meet him on his level

Get neuralink! Gain the superpower of ultra divorced dad!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you're single and questioning the utility of $200 haircuts maybe its time for some self reflection....

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm pretty ugly, so I had to increment my haircut costs all the way up to $400 before I started getting dates. God Bless the free market!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Just get old enough that women in your age group are pleased you still have hair.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Tesla robot ATTACKS an engineer at company's Texas factory during violent malfunction - leaving 'trail of blood' and forcing workers to hit emergency shutdown button

quote:

A Tesla engineer was attacked by a robot during a brutal and bloody malfunction at the company's Giga Texas factory near Austin.

Two witnesses watched in horror as their fellow employee was attacked by the machine designed to grab and move freshly cast aluminum car parts.

The robot had pinned the man, who was then programming software for two disabled Tesla robots nearby, before sinking its metal claws into the worker's back and arm, leaving a 'trail of blood' along the factory surface.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...own-button.html

Just like in the movies

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

is tesla still responsible for like a third of all us auto industry osha recordables/violations?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mean vs median, national vs top 20 metros

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wealthy Americans say it's getting harder for them to get richer https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-get-rich-wealthy-americans-inflation-climate-change-investments-2023-12

the premium consumer is unconfident

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Wealthy Americans say it's getting harder for them to get richer https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-get-rich-wealthy-americans-inflation-climate-change-investments-2023-12

loving kill me

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

Mean vs median, national vs top 20 metros

some of the specific cities are different too.

The impression I’m getting is a secondary market / condo softening and first tier cities (other than San Fran and NYC) strengthening

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

loving kill me

Hey if they have “money dysphoria” there are simple steps to quickly transition to a more comfortable net worth

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

This sort of medical technology could someday be essential for millions of people with neurological issues. So naturally the deranged billionaire and his followers get to use it as a hosed up self-mutilation computer brain toy with a $30,000 upcharge.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

loving kill me

Here I go, getting enraged by a screenshot

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

This sort of medical technology could someday be essential for millions of people with neurological issues. So naturally the deranged billionaire and his followers get to use it as a hosed up self-mutilation computer brain toy with a $30,000 upcharge.

With him heading this project, it's ceiling is the brain implant thing from Fringe but just the parts where you can't taste things or feel emotion

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Oldest Man posted:

loving kill me

:thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor::thermidor:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

This kind of medical technology will never be essential so long as the companies supporting it can go out of business and take all capability to maintain, modify, and remove the implants with them.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Oldest Man posted:

loving kill me

Sir please stand at this wall

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
SmileClub going out of business in an instant but instead of not getting anymore retainers, there's no more security updates for your brain chip

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Real hurthling! posted:

Whiny HENRY articles were all over the place in the lead up to and aftermath of 2008, so checks out. Sucks to be the person who can get a big ol' sniff of the INFINITE GROWTH right before the money spigot turns off.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

tbf, "investable assets" of half a million is a pretty low threshold for wealth these days... and has been for probably decades at this point. it's like people talking about six figure salaries when that's entry level for a lot of industries

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Akratic Method posted:

Just get old enough that women in your age group are pleased you still have hair.

Get old enough to move into an old folk's home, which according to my grandfather, are scorching dens of unalloyed and answered lust, 24 hours a day, undreamed of by even the most imaginative adolescent.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Tech billionaires buying their way past basic public safety regulations is a loving terrible trend. Driverless car, brain implant, we launch rockets now, etc and every one has articles about how some 'lengthy usual review process' didn't happen 'despite concerns'.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Biden's going to lose election to Trump and THEN immediately die

This but after taking office Trump dies of a heart attack on the toilet while eating a big mac, like Elvis Presley.

With nobody at the helm some "interim" ruler is appointed by the senate as 2024 Caesar and "interim" quickly becomes permament for life. Until the knives come out one day, like Caesar of old.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Complications posted:

This kind of medical technology will never be essential so long as the companies supporting it can go out of business and take all capability to maintain, modify, and remove the implants with them.

Essential in terms of necessity for people with severe, disabling neurological conditions. Pile it next to all of the other essential treatments that we deny people in the name of profit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

Essential in terms of necessity for people with severe, disabling neurological conditions. Pile it next to all of the other essential treatments that we deny people in the name of profit.

$2mil to cure sickle cell

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Acelerion posted:

Tech billionaires buying their way past basic public safety regulations is a loving terrible trend. Driverless car, brain implant, we launch rockets now, etc and every one has articles about how some 'lengthy usual review process' didn't happen 'despite concerns'.

funny how a group obsessed over immortality don't actually want to invest anything on it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

skaboomizzy posted:

SmileClub going out of business in an instant but instead of not getting anymore retainers, there's no more security updates for your brain chip

at least the brain chip going blue screen means you’re not aware of it because you’re now a dribbling sponge

the company that made all its customers blind after it went down actually happened

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

skaboomizzy posted:

This is already a thing with retinal implants

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Orvin posted:

Isn’t reducing staff numbers and/or hours about the only threat that small businesses owners have that they can aim at local government? Reducing jobs is something that the local officials might actually care about.

Raising prices (or the threat) isn’t going to get much traction. And everyone knows that the owners crying crocodile tears about earning less money themselves is not going to get any sympathy.

big grocery stores regularly threaten to abruptly close all their stores in an area if the municipal government does something they don't like which would create food deserts

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Stereotype posted:

big grocery stores regularly threaten to abruptly close all their stores in an area if the municipal government does something they don't like which would create food deserts

It's a shame they can't just munipalize those

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Lobe posted:

This is already a thing with retinal implants

lol that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Stereotype posted:

Food deserts are an idiotic concept that mostly is used by industry to get fat tax credits to open a store in an area they think might be profitable but isn’t a sure bet