Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Countblanc posted:

what ive learned this page is that "anime" just sorta means whatever

My aunt went with her kids to see the Mario movie and told me afterwards that she was 'starting to dig this anime thing'

Edit: lmao what a snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The latter, it is very "Cold Equations" in that you have a solar system with resources of varying difficulty to access and process to make the things you need to survive to the next system, and you have to spend resources to get resources in a limited number of turns. Your guide gives you all the formulae to plan things out but you also have to take into account attrition from random events, and/or the extra costs to mitigate those random events.

It's very mentally taxing but I thought in a good way

That sounds like the kind of math I failed at in college - which is not to say the game is bad, but I'm going to be careful picking it up because I know I struggle with that. The me vs Zachtronics kind of problem.

Still, thank you so much! This is super informative and exactly the kind of info about a game I'm looking for. And I can see myself - a future, healthy me - who wants to try this game anyways, because it's fun to try hard problems.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

StrixNebulosa posted:

What games should I buy in 2024?
- La Pucelle / Makai Kingdom; PS2 strategy rpgs I loved as a teen, each is 13$
You really can't go wrong with the Disgaea related games. Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, Disgaea 1-5 (when on sale), ZHP: Unlosing Ranger longer title, Soul Nomad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Scalding Coffee posted:

You really can't go wrong with the Disgaea related games. Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, Disgaea 1-5 (when on sale), ZHP: Unlosing Ranger longer title, Soul Nomad.

I have beaten: Disgaea 1+2, Makai Kingdom, Soul Nomad, La Pucelle.... on PS2, when I was a teenager. (disgaea 2 on psp, just remembered)

I was replaying Disgaea 2 as I really like that main cast a lot, but I should honestly pick up D4 too... but ahh, indecision. And the awareness that while they're great games, they do turn into time sinks for me. I miss the days when I had teenager energy and time for video games.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Countblanc posted:

The PS Vita thread here was legendary. Just page after page of people going " 'I hate anime' , and I love Persona 4, so it can't be anime" and then arguing what anime ~really~ means

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Don't bother buying Disgaea 6 if you end up going on a spree. There were a bunch of new mechanics that were implemented that weren't received very well, along with other problems. General consensus is that it's bad.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Countblanc posted:

Ehh, I kinda think it’s universally understood what kind of tropes “anime” refers to, and when someone claims to be allergic to it that’s a pretty good indicator of what they will or won’t be able to tolerate in a piece of media

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Yeah, if you're interested in Disgaea 6, my best recommendation as a sicko who loves this franchise is to wait until Disgaea 7 is on sale (maybe more than the 20% it is now because there's so much DLC to hoover up at gently caress-you prices). Anything good from 6 shows up in 7 (automating grinding of fights) while being made not-lovely (there's a limit to how much you can automate so you don't just leave your game running overnight and come back as a tiny god; also you can just select "rerun as though I did it this way X more times" after a point and instantly get e.g. the xp and rewards as though you ran a grinding stage 30x in a row), and the new additions are gimmicky but fun for what they give you. Also the item world changes are Controversial but I think are a net good.

I'd still say something like 4 Complete is probably the best you can find for being a decent intersection of QoL and compelling gameplay, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Much like obscenity I know anime when I see it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm not sure if I want to play Rogue Trader, all the screencaps I've seen are too anime.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Yeah, if you're interested in Disgaea 6, my best recommendation as a sicko who loves this franchise is to wait until Disgaea 7 is on sale (maybe more than the 20% it is now because there's so much DLC to hoover up at gently caress-you prices). Anything good from 6 shows up in 7 (automating grinding of fights) while being made not-lovely (there's a limit to how much you can automate so you don't just leave your game running overnight and come back as a tiny god; also you can just select "rerun as though I did it this way X more times" after a point and instantly get e.g. the xp and rewards as though you ran a grinding stage 30x in a row), and the new additions are gimmicky but fun for what they give you. Also the item world changes are Controversial but I think are a net good.

I'd still say something like 4 Complete is probably the best you can find for being a decent intersection of QoL and compelling gameplay, though.

4 also has the best party, imo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kin posted:

What's the reason for these Persona games being overwhelmingly positive?

I've tried to read a few reviews of them to get a feel for what they're about and the best I can take away is that they're a super Anime JRPG with visual novel stuff in them.

Do they have decent stories, gameplay etc? If I liked playing stuff like Final Fantasy would I like them?

Yeah, they're good.

The basic idea is that the player character is a teenager who has to balance doing dungeon crawling RPG stuff with going to class, having a part time job, hanging out with friends, etc. It's a mix of a JRPG and a life sim like Princess Maker, you have a whole separate set of stats that only matter for every day life stuff.

The characters are fun, and the writing is decent. The combat/dungeon crawling is also good, along the same lines as other SMT games, but less punishing. You fuse demons to get other demons, but that only matters for the protagonist, other party members can't change.

The thing they do better than any other game is UI, which looks incredibly cool and works extremely well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Re: persona, be aware that 5 is a huge leap in visual flair/style from the rest of the series, especially around dungeon design. Going from 5 to 4 took a minute to adjust to (I haven’t played 3 yet, at this point I’m waiting for the remaster) though it was worth the effort, it’s very well written, except for Teddy, who I loathed

If you like 5, it’s worth checking out strikers if you like musou games at all, it’s essentially a sequel to 5, with similar style and rad music. It’s also like…barely a musou game, it’s a weird one to pin down, but I liked it a lot

And if you do plan to play 4, try to avoid spoilers if you care about solving the central mystery on your own

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

If I hate musou games but love Persona 5, what do

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

man nurse posted:

Ehh, I kinda think it’s universally understood what kind of tropes “anime” refers to, and when someone claims to be allergic to it that’s a pretty good indicator of what they will or won’t be able to tolerate in a piece of media

Persona games indulge in those tropes though

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

man nurse posted:

I guess it depends on what you hate about them! Basically it’s kind of like p5 except when you trigger a battle in a dungeon, instead of a turn based fight, it’s a musou fight against a medium-sized group of enemies. I’d look up gameplay footage on YouTube or something to see if it looks fun, it’s a far cry from dynasty warriors, mostly

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tarezax posted:

Persona games indulge in those tropes though

They do, but they’re also a very small part of a very large, otherwise generally not alienating package. But when you find them, they can be hard to ignore yeah (the hot springs of p4, romancing your teacher in p5, and so on)

Basically, https://hard-drive.net/hd/entertainment/glowing-anime-recommendation-only-70-caveats/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

man nurse posted:

I'm in the opposite boat and when I played P5 Strikers my take was "This isn't great as a Musou game but I can see why Persona fans like it"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Persona 5 Strikers is not like the other spinoff games, it is a direct continuation and development of the Persona 5 story and has substantial amounts of meaningful story, probably equivalent to 1/3 as much as the original game.

The core game mechanics still feel very SMT, recruiting and fusing Personas and managing your party's skills in and out of combat are still a big deal, they did not jettison those things to make a straight-up brawler or anything, and the dungeon exploration and puzzle stuff is basically the same template as the base game

Also the same quality of music (please support the Sophia Shop)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef9SesWXmRY

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Persona 5 Strikers is not like the other spinoff games, it is a direct continuation and development of the Persona 5 story and has substantial amounts of meaningful story, probably equivalent to 1/3 as much as the original game.

The core game mechanics still feel very SMT, recruiting and fusing Personas and managing your party's skills in and out of combat are still a big deal, they did not jettison those things to make a straight-up brawler or anything, and the dungeon exploration and puzzle stuff is basically the same template as the base game

Also the same quality of music (please support the Sophia Shop)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef9SesWXmRY

The battle theme is also really good, unfortunately the pace of the combat is such that you’re lucky to only ever hear like 20 seconds of it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QK4MjRoE_1c

It’s also got fun overlap with the yakuza games, as it visits a lot of the same locations: dotonbori, Okinawa, that snow city from 5 that everyone hates, all the hits

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

FastestGunAlive posted:

I haven’t played FO76 but I know it has mothman in it so it’s probably the best FO

I played Fallout 76 right at launch and this quest was so fuckin weird and, no pun intended, bugged. The Mothman quest would just CONSTANTLY happen, every few minutes it would let me know something about the MOTHMAN. Then the mothman shows up but he just stands there for a while and then blips out. Then more MOTHMAN EVENTS. My only real memories of Fallout 76 was little bits of this and that and constantly being updated about the Mothman.

edit: oh yeah and somehow when I changed camps, it multiplied all my mutifruit trees in my camp's inventory by a stupid amount, way beyond the limit, and I was able to saturate my entire camp with this gigantic orchard of mutifruit.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anyone here play UFO ROBOT GRENDIZER - The Feast of the Wolves ?

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Just to counter the Persona love in, I played one of them (3 I think? It was on PS2) and it’s one of the shittiest games I’ve ever played. Admittedly my anime tolerance is definitely low (stuff like final fantasy is probably right on the edge for me depending on the game) but it wasn’t that that stopped me playing persona, it was just so loving slow to get going and just boring once it finally did.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ouroboros posted:

Just to counter the Persona love in, I played one of them (3 I think? It was on PS2) and it’s one of the shittiest games I’ve ever played. Admittedly my anime tolerance is definitely low (stuff like final fantasy is probably right on the edge for me depending on the game) but it wasn’t that that stopped me playing persona, it was just so loving slow to get going and just boring once it finally did.

Even as a fan, I do have to admit that p5 has an incredibly slow and boring start too. I replayed it for royal and that cat won’t shut up

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

man nurse posted:

Get better standards

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s also got fun overlap with the yakuza games, as it visits a lot of the same locations: dotonbori, Okinawa, that snow city from 5 that everyone hates, all the hits

lol, I did the leo pointing when I recognized one location and then

(yes i know japan is a real place)

Ainsley McTree posted:

The battle theme is also really good, unfortunately the pace of the combat is such that you’re lucky to only ever hear like 20 seconds of it

The other battle theme is perfect for this because you get to hear the first lines which are "hello goodbye, didn't even try" lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 27, 2023

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

The DLC entirely takes place after the main game and provides a lot of higher-level content. It also gives you an OP armor set right from the start that lets you speed through the base game, which you probably don't want to use if you're enjoying the base game. It's very very good DLC but don't worry about it unless you're sure you're going to play through the base game and keep going, or if you want an easy-mode armor set that makes you virtually invincible through base-game content.

If I'm not misremembering, everyone gained access to the OP gear (the Defender weapons and Guardian armor) when the expansion came out whether they bought it or not. It was very dumb and everyone who didn't happen to be there to read those specific patch notes ended up confused.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Triarii posted:

If I'm not misremembering, everyone gained access to the OP gear (the Defender weapons and Guardian armor) when the expansion came out whether they bought it or not. It was very dumb and everyone who didn't happen to be there to read those specific patch notes ended up confused.

I didn’t buy the dlc but I got that armor yeah. Wearing it is probably a bad choice, as it allows you to make more mistakes early on when you’re supposed to be learning how to play than you can afford to make later when you’re supposed to know what you’re doing. It also makes the crafting system feel unnecessary iirc, which is supposed to be a big part of the game

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I've been playing XCOM 2 every year since it came out. I think I need a new turn based strategy game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ever battle a brother?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

(yes i know japan is a real place)

this is yet to be proven

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I've been playing XCOM 2 every year since it came out. I think I need a new turn based strategy game.

Warhammer: Mechanicus, maybe

gameplay isn't quite as good but the vibes are :kiss:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Upsidads posted:

Ever battle a brother?

:yeah: This and X-Com UFO Defense mods are the most acceptable answers

Battletech with mods is also very good

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 27, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah, Battletech is extremely good and it's closer to new Xcoms mix of plot/sandbox/rpg elements than a lot of the more self-consciously Xcomish games where there's sometimes too much linear narrative.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I never finished kingmaker but I couldn’t put wrath down, it’s a big improvement. I need to play rogue trader when I have the time too, if it’s up to that narrative quality at all.

The last stretch of KM is pretty rough and it's the worst they've ever indulged their sadistic DM tendencies. I'm not sure if RT matches Wrath but it's pretty close. The meta/strategy element is definitely the best they've ever done. Managing your colonies and ship battles are significantly better than similar elements in KM/Wrath. At this point I'm actually enjoying the ship battles more than the party fights.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think what I really liked about wrath was the way the mythic paths encouraged and rewarded actual role playing instead of just making whatever choice seemed cool in the moment. I’m also a sucker for the meta management mechanics, which is why I’m disappointed I didn’t like kingmaker, building and managing a kingdom is usually my jam in games; the crusade stuff was much better implemented. Curious to see what rogue trader’s equivalent is, it sounds cool

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Persona schmona. Astlibra is getting DLC!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2669360/ASTLIBRA_Gaiden_The_Cave_of_Phantom_Mist/

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

is dark tide a lot worse than vermintide? i like the 40k setting better but also have barely played any vermintide2 so if its a lot better then ill just play that until darktide is cheaper/free

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s really cool. I have about 10 hours into the game and it’s real good.

Definitely recommend it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Kly posted:

is dark tide a lot worse than vermintide? i like the 40k setting better but also have barely played any vermintide2 so if its a lot better then ill just play that until darktide is cheaper/free

It has much better shooting gameplay than Vermintide but has less engaging characters and less environmental variety. It had a rocky launch but it has some of the most satisfying FPS gameplay of all time and it absolutely nails the atmosphere and visual/sound design it's going for, and most of the problems from launch have been fixed. Vermintide is good too though

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 27, 2023

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zapf Dingbat posted:

wh40k chaos gate daemonhunters is worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

wh40k chaos gate daemonhunters is worth a look.

I've pondered that game many times as it looks like what I dig in many ways except space marines are probably my least favorite 40k bit