Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

An American hunter in the Colorado Rockies is trapped by a cougar, a puma, a mountain lion and a panther. He has only one bullet left. How does he escape and survive?
Love that you had to add 'and survive' to the end of that. Speaks volumes somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah I had both words (escape & survive) floating around so I decided to use them both.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

The big cats that the vet tech told me about, in order from least likely to kill you to most likely to dismember you and growl over the bits and not let anyone take them, All of this based on the assumption that you are not a stranger to the cats, possibly even were involved in their daily care, or hand raised them: cheetah, lion (to be fair, there is quite a jump from cheetah to lion), tiger, leopard, jaguar.

I heard rougly the same thing at my local large cat sanctuary. Though their explanation was that jaguars were more well-adapted to hunting in North America without having to learn the behavior, so if one of them escaped, they'd start hunting pretty quickly, while if a tiger escaped it'd be a lot more likely to show up at the nearest kitchen it could find and be like "hey where's the chicken?"

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Serperoth posted:

Not a big cat, taxonomically, but I read that the black-footed cat is the most successful predator among cats at least, I'd not in general.

It also looks exactly like what you imagine when reading the phrase "black-footed cat"

More cat facts:

Black- footed cat:
https://youtu.be/nl8o9PsJPAQ

Pallas:
https://youtu.be/kgrV3_g9rYY

Ocelot:
https://youtu.be/2oSh_zOaVFk

Lynx at a zoo that thinks a normal tabby cat is her mum:
https://youtu.be/ctarXVlDtXQ?si=T0eF86FLqrf9yJeT

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yeah I had both words (escape & survive) floating around so I decided to use them both.
I figured you were actively anticipating some grim contrarian saying the man would shoot himself as a means of escape.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
What does this classify as?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Been awhile since I've seen a Cat. Most of the equipment around here is old Deere cast offs.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Push El Burrito posted:

He's been declawed :(

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

YggiDee posted:

I've never heard Panther refer to anything other than an all-black jaguar or leopard before today so I guess I've learned something

Panthers come in other colors you know. In fact one of them is pretty famous!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

North American fiber-seeking cat. :colbert:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Vandar posted:

“steel” isn’t really a color

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

YggiDee posted:

I've never heard Panther refer to anything other than an all-black jaguar or leopard before today so I guess I've learned something
All-black describes a lot of coat patterns like less darkly colored small cats because our eyes can't see the ultraviolet light differentiating the pigments in the stripes, spots etc. except for some occasionally refracted colors in direct sunlight.

You can check it out on black house cats in direct sun but I wouldn't recommend getting close enough to a panther to see it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like how the thread title is weeks old but still relevant.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

I heard rougly the same thing at my local large cat sanctuary. Though their explanation was that jaguars were more well-adapted to hunting in North America without having to learn the behavior, so if one of them escaped, they'd start hunting pretty quickly, while if a tiger escaped it'd be a lot more likely to show up at the nearest kitchen it could find and be like "hey where's the chicken?"

I think our tech said with most larger animals, predators and hoofstock both, you have a window of about 5 minutes once they get out of their exhibit to realize they can move around a lot and escape.

We did have a Abyssinian ground hornbill named Buddy, who was hatched at the zoo and knew all the keepers pretty well. He also learned how to escape his enclosure and would wander around without a care in the world; one time he watched one of the curators working on repairing a fence, and picked tools out of the bag to offer him. He'd grab other keepers' things from their carts and run off with them to get the people to chase him.

I had a more WHAT WHY relationship with Buddy; he knew I was the food prep/overnight janitorial and would be out and around before the zoo opened. Might have tossed him a treat or two. But one morning he saw me head into my aquarium building, and couldn't get me to come out. So he beat the poo poo out of the door a la HERE'S JOHNNY and left about a foot tall hole in the door, just large enough to stick his head through and squawk at me to come out and play.

The peacocks would attack their reflections in the glass door and leave blood streaks, but Buddy was smarter than that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vandar posted:

Trying to paint a pink panther is what got me kicked out of the zoo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
With animals it really just comes down to how there's no such thing as a perfectly safe animal, it's just a matter of how well it can be managed. Most common domestic pets are animals that are docile enough and small enough that they're unlikely to cause major injury to humans in the events they do lash out or lose control. (and there's definitely a gray area with larger dogs and a reason why dogs need to be trained and supervised)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Desert Bus posted:

Pallas Cats are the best looking.

I don't know why we're still discussing it, but this is objectively correct.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

I still want to pet it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

When confronted with this cool picture, I'm always at odds with myself whether to let it be, or to mention that Dali might have kinda sorta leaned fash and hid it within his adsurdities.

It is, in fact, very depressing.

Also, Cowslips, you're way cooler than I'll ever be and I like your zoo stories, if you have enough, I would love a thread.

That is much less depressing.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
okay we've figured out which big cats will kill you more but which ones will let me fluff up their fur and call them kitties?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm all for the Anteater, but that Dali was a fascist gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
And don’t look up what he did to cats in that one photoshoot.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Non Compos Mentis posted:

okay we've figured out which big cats will kill you more but which ones will let me fluff up their fur and call them kitties?

Bottle fed babies up to a point. One of the saddest things about the zoo I worked at, is that I was one of the last volunteers to actually clean the exhibit/room with baby tigers, and the scars from them faded away, meanwhile, mosquito bites scars I have have remained with me for 15 years now.

It would be much cooler to point out the back of my calves and say you see those marks, those came from tiger cubs! The scar I have on my hand from the rabbit just isn't quite the same.

Outside of zoo chat, has anyone else seen that Amazon is now going to be having commercials in all of their shows starting next year? I wonder if it's going to be for Amazon products or other shows because I could see it going either way.

DicktheCat posted:

When confronted with this cool picture, I'm always at odds with myself whether to let it be, or to mention that Dali might have kinda sorta leaned fash and hid it within his adsurdities.

It is, in fact, very depressing.

Also, Cowslips, you're way cooler than I'll ever be and I like your zoo stories, if you have enough, I would love a thread.

That is much less depressing.

I sincerely doubt I'm that cool, all of my stories are 20 years old at this point, but I like to say that some people have their wild college years, and I had my zoo years and honestly all things considered it probably would have been cheaper getting an actual degree. 😁

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Cowslips Warren posted:

baby tigers, and the scars from them faded away

I completely get it :sympathy:

But to paraphrase action hank, it's not the scars on the outside that matter, it's the scars on the inside

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Robobot posted:

Mountain lions are bigger than cheetahs right? I know they meow too. I saw a YouTube video about it and everything.

There was a wild animal rescue in a town near where I grew up. They tried to rehabilitate and release when possible, but they had a lot of one-winged birds and such that they just kept long term. You could walk through part of it and see some of the animals they were caring for.

One time my wife and I went and heard this huge, loud meow. We thought, “oh they must have a button you can press to hear what a mountain lion sounds like.”

Turn the corner and nope, there’s a mountain lion in a glass enclosure, meowing so loud. Turns out it had been rescued from someone’s yard where it had been chained up. Some vet had declawed it (they found the vet and took away their license), so it couldn’t ever be released into the wild.

They had set it up with a yoga ball with a bell in it, and feathers the size of a medium bird on an elastic rope and similar toys. It was basically “cat toys” from a pet store scaled up to the size of a mountain lion. And this cat was just pouncing on them and meowing exactly like our cat at home. It was so adorable, and also scary because this mountain lion was loving huge.

Riven has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Dec 27, 2023

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This is why I carry a laser pointer with me while hiking.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jesus Christ what kind of a monster declaws a mountain lion? Crippling one of nature's perfect killing machines is like painting over the Mona Lisa. To say nothing of the pain they've inflicted on a wild animal for man's hubris.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You tell me a better way to safely give a mountain lion a hug!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Just get your cougars from the bar like the rest of us pal

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cowslips Warren posted:

Outside of zoo chat, has anyone else seen that Amazon is now going to be having commercials in all of their shows starting next year? I wonder if it's going to be for Amazon products or other shows because I could see it going either way.

I assume it'll just be like the ad-supported service they already have, FreeVee. Basically the same kinds of ads you see on Tubi and whatnot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I assume it'll just be like the ad-supported service they already have, FreeVee. Basically the same kinds of ads you see on Tubi and whatnot.

Which is loving awful. I tried watching a FreeBee program and the ads were so frequent and at such a high volume I just said gently caress you, I’ll pirate this instead. It was unacceptably intrusive.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the kids call it gooning now

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phanatic posted:

Which is loving awful. I tried watching a FreeBee program and the ads were so frequent and at such a high volume I just said gently caress you, I’ll pirate this instead. It was unacceptably intrusive.

My biggest issue when I've seen streaming stuff with ads is they're placed haphazardly without regard for the content. Like, sometimes literally mid sentence, even in shows that originally had commercial breaks. It's just the laziest poo poo ever, with zero human review.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The annoying thing about FreeVee is that Amazon took a lot of the older shows and movies I actually wanna watch off of Prime and put them on FreeVee, so there’s no choice but to watch them with ads. At that point, I’ll just watch them on Tubi.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The annoying thing about FreeVee is that Amazon took a lot of the older shows and movies I actually wanna watch off of Prime and put them on FreeVee, so there’s no choice but to watch them with ads. At that point, I’ll just watch them on Tubi.

Good news. Prime will also have ads soon unless you pay extra

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gaius Marius posted:

Good news. Prime will also have ads soon unless you pay extra

Oh man, this is the first I'm hearing about this!

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

nvidia shield + kodi if you don't want to deal with this crap on the couch

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My biggest issue when I've seen streaming stuff with ads is they're placed haphazardly without regard for the content. Like, sometimes literally mid sentence, even in shows that originally had commercial breaks. It's just the laziest poo poo ever, with zero human review.

Samsung TV+ is like this. I like watching the RiffTrax channel, and they'll just fling ads in whenever. The result being:

"Funny line commenting on the sc---"
[Peloton and pharma ads]
"---ene you've now forgotten!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah I'd be a lot more tolerant of ads on streaming services if they made the slightest effort to not just sprinkle them in randomly. Especially when I'm watching old TV shows. There's literally built-in pauses for ads. Put them there. It's not difficult!