Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

that username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://x.com/omry/status/1739115741918773484?s=46&t=mzWS2vgSInnU9jlt8C3n_Q

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

thats et

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Et tu, E.T. too?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

How has there never been an ET 2? ET Too: putting the extra in extra terrestrial and there’s two ETs

It would print money

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
ETs
ET$!!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

why doesnt the small one simply hide beneath the big one, to protect itself from the snow?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

HashtagGirlboss posted:

How has there never been an ET 2? ET Too: putting the extra in extra terrestrial and there’s two ETs

It would print money

ET 2: Brute?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

When your christmas card is also an invitation to become part of a throuple

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://x.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1633882580746653696?s=20

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Do downers do this to a person or is something else going on

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ok?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

No he's not doing okay

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/JoyceCarolOates/status/1739792232234758489

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/nicotineliker/status/1736194635490382140?t=5woeah4FIyGJ8SWBtgXFVg&s=19

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Lobe posted:

Do downers do this to a person or is something else going on

He melted his brain with benzos

He's a weird zombie now, working off miss-firing neurons from the last coherent thoughts he had before his coma

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Everyone comes in for a HUGE intervention

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

self injury master anthony

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't like this game

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1739684729782243633

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dikkfor posted:

lobster shirt posted:

self injury master anthony

lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

nate coprolite

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Who's that on the left end?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That's just a famous mustache bus.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Dikkfor posted:

lmao

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Dikkfor posted:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/thatdaffyduck/status/1739543740136497419

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That's just a famous mustache bus.

a mustache ride if you will

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It would print money

there was a book sequel https://brandedinthe80s.com/6446/e-t-went-home-alright-and-maybe-he-should-have-stayed-there

quote:

This leads me to the gist of today’s subject, which is the continuing story of the beloved plant-friendly alien, E.T. the Extra Terrestrial in his only sequel story, The Book of the Green Planet. Published in 1985 and written by William Kotzwinkle, the same gentleman responsible for the film-to-book novelization of the original story, Book of the Green Planet follows E.T.’s adventures after reuniting with his species as they travel back to the home planet to study the flora specimens they’ve been collecting from Earth over the millennia. In the original novelization we got a peek into a different view of the movie as Kotzwinkle tended to write from E.T.’s perspective, giving the reader an insight absent from the movie. In that book E.T. comes across as a wholly different character, at times a centered peaceful monk-like being wise beyond his ten million years of age (yup in the book he’s 10,000,000 years old for crying out loud), a others a tired curmudgeon afraid of offending Elliott and his siblings as he sees them as the rulers of the planet. It’s an odd balancing act that takes a weird shift in the follow-up sequel novel.

Unburdened by adhering to a script, Kotzwinkle decides to let loose in the sequel revealing that E.T. is not merely an alien from another world, but a traveler from outside of our universe/dimension. Kotzwinkle also decided to mold the character more into the image we get in the film, drawing him as playfully ignorant, continuously spouting incorrect English to his friends as if he had learned to master the language during his layover on Earth. He’s also shown depressed, having left his newfound friends behind, never to see them again, yet I find this awkward and weird considering that he’s literally lived throughout the millennia. Was this experience with Elliott so profound, and if so, how boring was the rest of his existence? Besides, for a being of that age who travels through out dimensions and across galaxies with ease, isn’t it a bit naive to assume you’d never see your friends again?

Anyway, the basic plot involves E.T. returning home only to be demoted for his shenanigans on Earth. Sad and lonely, it becomes his quest to find a way to travel back to the Milky Way and to his beloved friend Elliott. The book flits back and forth between E.T.’s adventures trying to secure a vessel to make the trip and a slightly older Elliott on Earth who is struggling with puberty and his newfound obsession with girls (which troubles E.T., through their psychic connection, to no end.) Trying to help (but coming across as a dumped ex stalker) E.T. sends astral projections of himself towards Earth in the hopes that they will meld with Elliott’s troubled soul and help him to find peace (as well as the nerve to finally step up and mingle with the girl of his dreams.) In a sort of anticlimactic ending E.T. grows a ship (making it easier to hide from his people) and embarks on the long journey back to Elliott, though the story ends before the trip is finished leaving the book open to an obvious sequel (though unlike this one, a sequel that never materialized.)

All in all, this book (and the original novelization) gives the audience what it craves, a continuation of the story with so much more to explore. It’s weird and not much like the original film, but it is something which in and of itself is sort of a treasure. Also, believe it or not, with the re-release of this book in 2002 there was a teacher’s guide printed that has artistic rendering of a couple of the odder creatures mentioned in the book including the ellusive flopgopple!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The ride at Universal Studios is like a sequel to ET and it rules.

https://youtu.be/pm4h-fn_fbM?si=tq2NkM8vsI13dywf

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I can't imagine a near-immortal alien being subjected to the psychic assault of puberty

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
E.T. 2: Brute obviously revolves around mid-50s Elliot (played by the same actor, pay any amount to get him back) being psychically contacted by his friend E.T. (now also an adult, but equivalent to early 20s human development) to help capture a huge muscular space criminal "The Brute". There's a bunch of action sequences and (:rolldice:) Arches National Monument gets destroyed. The Brute gets defeated by a combination of Elliot's knowledge of human candy and ET's knowledge of plants.

Also Elliot is an FBI agent now and the US government are good and helpful.

The Brute stabs someone in the back in Act 3 Scene 1 as a Shakespeare reference, even tho movies are usually only 3 acts and not 5.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Speleothing posted:

E.T. 2: Brute obviously revolves around mid-50s Elliot (played by the same actor, pay any amount to get him back)

Sorry, this will only work if Mike Flanagan gets the rights

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

how about "e.2, bruté"?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

never took him for a brakhage fan

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
E.T. is within the Star Wars canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The Book of the Green Planet is right behind Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator on my short list of really wacked out sequel novels that movie fans would not be prepared to see onscreen.