Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
What was wrong with the 300? The only thing they got wrong was not putting a hellcat motor in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Yea it's pretty much the sweet spot. Bluetooth, maybe a heated wheel and nav. What more do you need.

as long as you have a decent set of steering wheel controls for audio (since most of the after market units these days are touch interface and soft buttons) i agree.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

davecrazy posted:

What was wrong with the 300? The only thing they got wrong was not putting a hellcat motor in one.

The Chrysler brand has negative value now, and it's styling has aged poorly as they refuse to update it for however long it has been.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

They also gave the car of the year to the 300M

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Guinness posted:

They also gave the car of the year to the 300M

Oh wow. Argument withdrawn.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

The 2000 to early 2010s era is pretty appealing right now. Reliability was good, plenty of airbags and safety features, and technology was there but not omnipresent.

:okboomer:

Ehhhh on this, safety structures have come a long way and the tests have become more representative of driving today (higher, heavier sled, more speed).

I’m heavily reconsidering keeping our 2013 Honda just due to safety considerations. Which isn’t a thing I thought I’d ever care about but sheesh our local roads are all massive trucks.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

The Chrysler brand has negative value now, and it's styling has aged poorly as they refuse to update it for however long it has been.

Call me crazy but I still really like the way the 300 looks :shrug:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Sab669 posted:

Call me crazy but I still really like the way the 300 looks :shrug:

Yeah, it looked good then and it looks good now.

It’s a completely ok car too.

https://youtu.be/N1UpHa18X8Q?si=bLqTWHDNPSCANSUq

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The early 300Cs look really bad now but the more recent models are ok

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Choco Zulu posted:

A while back I read that laws/regulations were recently changed to allow full-width lighting on the front and rear of cars. You can see this with the F150 Lightning, Cybertruck, various Hyundai models etc. But how is that different than an old Mercury Sable? Or more recently, the taillights of the Dodge Charger and Durango? Is the change simply based on newer LED technology or different DOT regs? TIA.

The regs haven't changed but LEDs let manufacturers play a lot looser with the specifics.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Chrysler 300 is the one car besides Audis and a few others, or maybe most cars that I expect is driven like an rear end in a top hat by an rear end in a top hat.

In this case its by some stupid wannabe fuckin gangsta piece of bullshit white trash that should probably be sterilized before they're allowed to reproduce.

E: or by some assistant Taco Bell manager that thinks he's hot poo poo and tries to hit on all the 16 year old cashiers like a fuckin creep.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

wesleywillis posted:

E: or by some assistant Taco Bell manager that thinks he's hot poo poo and tries to hit on all the 16 year old cashiers like a fuckin creep.

That was very specific.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That was very specific.

Well could be KFC assistant managers, or Popeye's etc...

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Choco Zulu posted:

A while back I read that laws/regulations were recently changed to allow full-width lighting on the front and rear of cars. You can see this with the F150 Lightning, Cybertruck, various Hyundai models etc. But how is that different than an old Mercury Sable? Or more recently, the taillights of the Dodge Charger and Durango? Is the change simply based on newer LED technology or different DOT regs? TIA.
I think the what happened is the laws in the EU changed so now you’re seeing BMWs, MBs, and VWs with illuminated emblems, grills, and light bars. It wasn’t really an issue in North America, but as already mentioned, LEDs now allow manufacturers to play around with designs a more than traditional light bulbs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sab669 posted:

Yea it's pretty much the sweet spot. Bluetooth, maybe a heated wheel and nav. What more do you need.

As for bluetooth and nav I got that in my phone and it can be constantly updated and kept modern. I wouldn't actually want it built in. Just something that will get old and unsupported with time.

A heated wheel would rock though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't use the nav system for directions, but I really like just having a large map on display as I drive around.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kraftwerk posted:

Realistically speaking, even if a car company wanted to do something like that, why would any of the kind of talent capable of producing this want to work for them?

Aren’t legacy car manufacturers too stodgy and low tech for any of the Apple/google/FB crowd? That’s why Tesla poached all the Apple employees for their infotainment?

Why would they be immune to a bucket of money? :confused:

Presumably the problem is that auto manufacturers don't want to offer a bucket of money.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Uconnect 5 is really good. I actually prefer the built in Nav to google maps most times, the way it integrates with the radio is nice (no need to tab back and forth if you set it up right).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jeep Gladiators are now averaging about $14k under MSRP now lol they can't give them away apparently. Ram trucks as well are dropping in price big time.

Wranglers are averaging about $3k off MSRP which isn't bad but if those keep dropping as well I may consider one.

Still waiting on Mavericks to drop but it's not happening yet.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I would guess it's the '23 Giant Pieces Of poo poo getting discounted because they're giant and lovely while the small practical cars remain at MSRP

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think the what happened is the laws in the EU changed so now you’re seeing BMWs, MBs, and VWs with illuminated emblems, grills, and light bars. It wasn’t really an issue in North America, but as already mentioned, LEDs now allow manufacturers to play around with designs a more than traditional light bulbs.

Not quite, it's still illegal there but they're pushing it to their US models instead. The easiest example is the ID.4 isn't illuminated in the EU but early EU cars that came to the US could get it as an option. Audi has some illuminated front emblems too but they're put on dockside in the US if optioned.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jymmybob posted:

Not quite, it's still illegal there but they're pushing it to their US models instead. The easiest example is the ID.4 isn't illuminated in the EU but early EU cars that came to the US could get it as an option. Audi has some illuminated front emblems too but they're put on dockside in the US if optioned.
Ah, that explains why a VW exec was explaining how the light bar on the new VW EV Polo is OK because it's actually indirect lighting using reflective surfaces to give the appearance of a light bar.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Bought a Ridgeline and yeah, the touchscreen infotainment/nav is easily the worst part of the car. I moved from a 2004 Town Car with that era of touchscreen/nav and while the Ridgeline's does MORE, it's weirdly got the same dumb layout, bugginess, and non-intuitiveness that I hated with a car 20 years older and from a different manufacturer. I was amazed at how few UI/usability improvements there were between the two. For instance, it has SiriusXM radio, but for however hundred-odd channels they have, as far as I can tell your only way to browse through them is either going station by station, or digging out the pamphlet in the glovebox and using that guide to figure out where the stations you want are. The numbers might not be ACCURATE or the station you're looking for might not exist because the pamphlet is out of date, however. Also huge amounts of space on the screen devoted to information I'm not interested in, while things like the title and artist of what's playing are in small, non-scrolling text.

At least the climate controls are buttons.
The rest of the vehicle is very nice as well, it's specifically the infotainment system that's bad.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I think this is an acrosses the board Honda thing. Ive been in a newer CR-V, Ridgeline, and a Pilot. All of them seem about a gen behind everyone else infotainment wise... Perhaps 2 gens in some cases.

Nice to see another ridgeline person!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
There's a lot of Ridgeline people around here. I'm willing to live with the terrible UI because the rest of the truck is so good, and I'm just listening to podcasts anyway.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I have a 2021 Ridgeline and same. Although 99% of the time I'm in carplay anyway. Besides the UI the base speakers in the RTL and lower trims are terrrrible, even voice sounds bad. Im replacing speakers soon hopefully it helps.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Apollo posted:

Ah, that explains why a VW exec was explaining how the light bar on the new VW EV Polo is OK because it's actually indirect lighting using reflective surfaces to give the appearance of a light bar.

Yep, similar to the MB stars that had an LED array on the back to create a glow instead of the full-on front firing eyeburner LEDs on the ID.4. It's also a lot easier and cheaper to pull off indirect lighting.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I have an outdated infotainment system for even when my car was new (2015) and the best part about it is that it’s unobtrusive and never crashes. Weird and clunky UI, sure. The “skip forward” button advances the track, and the features that can be annoying (aggressive lane departure warnings and parking sensors that get triggered by rain) have physical buttons that turn them on or off. It feels like that’s still a high bar for next model year.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My 2015 Scion has the oem double din Pioneer unit in it and I love it. CD player, USB or bluetooth to the phone, super simple and sounds awesome too. I'm really not looking forward to any new car's infotainment when I eventually get one. And I refuse to get a car without climate control buttons/dials either.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The family hatch has iDrive 5 in it, which feels like the ideal - tactile controls and not a touchscreen, navigation is good (and map data was updated when I took it in in September) and in both the main screen as well as small inset between speedo and tachometer, easy to put a couple programmed routes in, and doesn’t do too much (like climate controls). Also has some nice touches a non-OEM option would miss, like a list of toll charges.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I have a 19 FiST and Sync3 is perfect 100% of the time. I’d hate to have to make compromises on having my poo poo play through the speakers.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Neo_Crimson posted:

My 2019 Type-R is pretty non-intrusive, with the center screen being basically just a platform for Android Auto. The only hiccup being having to press a "climate" button to get to a touch screen to change the direction of the air.

I just bought a '23 Type R for basically the same reason. A fun car made in 2023 that's actually sort of simple.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

davecrazy posted:

Uconnect 5 is really good. I actually prefer the built in Nav to google maps most times, the way it integrates with the radio is nice (no need to tab back and forth if you set it up right).

The only issue i see on my Avenger is that, while it knows where the chargers are, it won't fit them in the road planning. You will get just an automatic prompt if you go under 10% SoC to execute a POI search for public chargers around. Other than that (and the inability of updating maps over USB) i don't have much issues with it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1740265623316316545?t=egwC5KRYkm7t6In7Rqe1VA&s=19

...a new car that looks kinda cool?! The industry still trying to wedge as much pointless tech as possible into cars sucks rear end though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

The 2000 to early 2010s era is pretty appealing right now. Reliability was good, plenty of airbags and safety features, and technology was there but not omnipresent.

:okboomer:

I recently bought a 2012 Volvo V50 and it perfectly fits this sweet spot. Hands free Bluetooth music, good safety, no intrusive tech. Very nice car.

I just came from and ID.3 and it's such a joy to be free of all the BS infotainment poo poo.

Edit: I saw a cool Dacia Jogger in dark green and bronze rims and bronze accents though. Still seem like pretty cheap to buy cars where you get a lot for your money.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 28, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1740265623316316545?t=egwC5KRYkm7t6In7Rqe1VA&s=19

...a new car that looks kinda cool?! The industry still trying to wedge as much pointless tech as possible into cars sucks rear end though.

I get very Porsche-McLaren vibes from that front end / headlights. Dunno about the rear light bar though, doesn't quite work for me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's quite Taycan generally but the McLaren lights on this certainly look better than the Taycan's imo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The goofy tear drop coming out of the Taycan's lights just completely ruin them for me.

Would still daily a Sport Tourism if I could though!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah that looks pretty sharp to me as far as vaporware renders go. Its not perfect, but if it existed and was sold in the US it would be one of the best looking EV sedans available .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Xiaomi doesn't even sell their phones in the US, so this will never see our shores.