Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

bedpan posted:

wooh..., she not even relativity dis· abled to point of not knowing she doesn't exist, she should move to florida and work in a bar pub there, more sun, more freedom, less woke design fatigue and gh· etto hab· itual reform conditioning,
·  from images looks like she got caught in a med· ical pharma bat· tleground of testing research emporiums, no she does not need a b· oost down under, she needs a b· oost out and be yonder,
·  this is too co· mmercia· lized sens· ation· alized med· ium agenda savvy, corona vi· rus nothing, did she get the experim· ental research serums? what actually saved her from ill· egal foriegn b· at pango germ wa· rfare, maybe she should sue the med· ical pharma for doping here into this state of woe,
·  And if she did get so called va· ccines, those would cause more down trodden aside effects, to which she should be talking anti co· agulants or anti ad· juvants, as seaweed kelp, and other detox meds, and for free, cause of being inflicted with the pf· izer virius and inoculated che· mical compounds,
·  Sorry but no, get another doctor and advice for turning condition upwards, by allowing her to be euth· anized to get out of sadness, is w· oke backwards wrong,

One of us is having a stroke and I am pretty sure it is your syq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A bunch of more distant friends/acquantances popped positive after a big concert, so I hooked them up with Paxlovid and answered some questions about rebounds all in like basic girl* speak, and they totally got it and now they have free pax and some reassurance. effective outreach hooray :unsmith:

* I know this sounds hosed up, sorry, but idk a better name for it

Anne Whateley has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Dec 27, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Thank you :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Let’s workshop dude speak.

“Paxlovid is like close air support to suppress the enemy while the boots on the ground neutralize the threat.

“Don’t be a fool. Call for air support.”

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Anne Whateley posted:

I used to be in a choir that was, like, kind of a big deal 💅🏻 obviously after covid that seemed unwise and I was out, but everyone else just went and sang at a huge venue right before Christmas. Now, shockingly, all the singers are testing positive.

But that’s just background. The thing is I just hooked some of those friends up with Paxlovid and answered some questions about rebounds all in like basic girl* speak, and they totally got it and now they have free pax and some reassurance. effective outreach hooray :unsmith:

* I know this sounds hosed up, sorry, but idk a better name for it

hell yeah good job great work :hfive:

I miss singing. I married a person who could give two figs for music entirely so we sorta have a quiet house outside of my ~*^Goon Cave^*~. but my cats like it when I sing cuz they can come sit on me and feel the literal vibes.

Covid knocked a couple steps off my range on the high end :smith:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Louisgod posted:

2021 is back baby, it's good again. Ackoooo (COVID cough)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Gunshow Poophole posted:

hell yeah good job great work :hfive:

I miss singing. I married a person who could give two figs for music entirely so we sorta have a quiet house outside of my ~*^Goon Cave^*~. but my cats like it when I sing cuz they can come sit on me and feel the literal vibes.

Covid knocked a couple steps off my range on the high end :smith:
yeah pretty much my favorite things are singing in big groups, swimming/tubing/rafting, and food. I miss it a lot. very cool how my personal enemies made a virus targeted for me specifically

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My family is finally negative, we did it. Our household had Covid for 23 days and we still managed to keep me and my oldest daughter from getting sick. :toot:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

U-DO Burger posted:

My family is finally negative, we did it. Our household had Covid for 23 days and we still managed to keep me and my oldest daughter from getting sick. :toot:

also great work :hfive:

coupla solid Ws posted up in this thread recently

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Steve Yun posted:

how long since your last one
oops sorry for confusion but this was my first time getting Pax from test2treat!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think somewhere aroubd 20,000-50,000 people will die worldwide due to the holiday season COVID rush.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The WHO is concerned about the immunity debt from all those covid lockdowns causing a huge wave of cases of dengue fever. There's been a massive swell of rising cases since 2000 (partly due to climate change creating conditions where the mosquitoes which are the zoonotic reservoir for the disease to expand their range) leading up to an unprecedented peak in 2019 and the big dip we saw from 2020-2022 means that we're due for an even bigger wave right about now

quote:

The global incidence of dengue has markedly increased over the past two decades, posing a substantial public health challenge. From 2000 to 2019, the World Health Organization (WHO) documented a ten-fold surge in reported cases worldwide increasing from 500 000 to 5.2 million. The year 2019 marked an unprecedented peak, with reported instances spreading across 129 countries.

After a slight decline of cases between the year 2020-2022 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and lower reporting rate, in 2023, an upsurge in dengue cases have been observed globally, characterized by a significant increase in the number, scale, and simultaneous occurrence of multiple outbreaks, spreading into regions previously unaffected by dengue.

Dengue transmission is cyclic and large outbreaks every 3-4 years can be expected. During the COVID-19 pandemic we saw moderate transmission of dengue in some regions and low transmission in others leading to an accumulation of people without immunity to certain dengue virus serotypes. However, the data on the circulating dengue serotypes is limited.

Since the beginning of 2023, ongoing transmission, combined with an unexpected spike in dengue cases have resulted in close to a historic high of over five million cases and more than 5000 dengue-related deaths reported in over 80 countries/territories and five WHO regions: Africa, Americas, South-East Asia, Western Pacific and Eastern Mediterranean Regions globally (Figure 1). Close to 80% of these cases, or 4.1 million, have been reported in the Region of the Americas. Dengue is the most widespread arbovirus and causes the highest number of arboviral disease cases in the Region of the Americas, with cyclic epidemics recurring every 3 to 5 years. In addition, clusters of autochthonous dengue have been reported in the WHO European Region. However, these numbers are likely an underestimate of the true burden as most of the primary infections are asymptomatic and dengue reporting is not mandatory in many countries.    

Several factors are associated with the increasing risk of spread of the dengue epidemic including, the changing distribution of the vectors (chiefly Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus), especially in previously dengue naïve countries; the consequences of El Nino phenomena in 2023 and climate change leading to increasing temperatures and high rainfall, humidity among others; fragile health systems in the midst of COVID-19 pandemic, political and financial instabilities in countries facing complex humanitarian crises and high population movements. These factors also challenge the response to the epidemic and the risk of further spread to other countries. Weakness in the surveillance systems in many affected countries may have led to delayed reporting and response and missed identification of symptoms, contributing to increased severe dengue outcomes.

WHO has assessed the risk to be high globally considering the increasing risk of transmission and the upsurge of cases and deaths.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease-outbreak-news/item/2023-DON498

Central and South America are looking pretty bad, as is SE Asia.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Covok posted:

I think somewhere aroubd 20,000-50,000 people will die worldwide due to the holiday season COVID rush.

That isn't very many

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Covok posted:

Mr Hootington posted:

That isn't very many

Mr Hootington is right. Your arithmetic is bad.

A hundred thousand people died of COVID in the average week in 2022.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Mr Hootington is right. Your arithmetic is bad.

A hundred thousand people died of COVID in the average week in 2022.

I don't think 36.5 million people died of covid in 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't think 36.5 million people died of covid in 2022

I don’t think that 2022 had three hundred and sixty‐five weeks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Platystemon posted:

5.2 mill global?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Platystemon posted:

every year since 2020 has had at least this many weeks, sometimes more

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Excluding China's entry wave, covid killed somewhere between 2 and 5 million people globally in 2023. Every country has case surges around its largest family gathering holiday, and cold places have surges around the coldest part of winter, but I don't have access to any data that would allow me to put a number on how many people will die from this year's Christmas gatherings.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Don't forget the continued buckling and deterioration of our healthcare system by way of supply depletion and providers becoming sick and dying themselves. That'll further amplify deaths over time :shepface:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
again you can just look at Hoerger's modeling, if only for the United States

1.3-2m Americans per day infected between Dec 15 and Jan 15
0.1% kill rate these days

1,300 to 2,000 dead per day, 30 days.

no need to get more precise to be completely clear about the atrocity of the holiday season. make it about Christendom and just multiply these numbers by I dunno. Eight or nine.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
https://twitter.com/dave_it_up/status/1739685316414316657?s=12&t=beWCLnno8eTMzikH9nzwmg

lol no thank you

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The economist is still running their estimated death model, although those confidence bands are getting kinda wide these days.

https://archive.is/ok4xe

Most likely ran a little under 10K/day most of this year. Maybe 30k/day at the beginning of the year.

So say, roughly 3.5M dead this year worldwide. Down a little from the 5 or 6M last year. yay.

Eyeballing it, looks like
2020: 5-6M
2021: 10-15M (vaccines!)
2022: 5-6M
2023: 3.5M

:tootzzz: over

Putting aside the still-staggering number of people outright dying prematurely... I've always been more concerned about the % chance someone in my family will get seriously hosed up by this thing - which still seems like a very high chance over say, the next 10 years or so. That is to say, *more* people close to me getting seriously hosed up or killed by it.

Baddog has issued a correction as of 06:15 on Dec 27, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pyrolocutus posted:

Don't forget the continued buckling and deterioration of our healthcare system by way of supply depletion and providers becoming sick and dying themselves. That'll further amplify deaths over time :shepface:
I frequently see headlines about the chemo drug shortage. The articles are always "yep there's still a shortage." Not knowing if you can even get the drug(s) you need adds a whole other layer of hell onto the hell of having cancer. Sometimes there are alternative drugs that work just as well, but sometimes there just aren't. :thumbsup:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I finally recovered after two weeks of hell. The headaches were the worst part and I probably have some sort of brain damage now :(. It was worse than the second time I had it but not as much as the first, when I had to be taken to the icu. Had both flu and COVID vaccines back in November but I have no idea how effective they were. I guess the fact that I didn't have to go to the icu again I guess means it prevented the worst effects of it. The guy who said that you should treat vaccines like wearing a seatbelt is spot on.

As for the rashes on my leg, I went to the doctor and she said it isn't allergic and they are burst blood capillaries :byodood: and prescribed me a cream and compression stockings to wear. I have to see a dermatologist next to get more testing done.

Entorwellian has issued a correction as of 07:45 on Dec 27, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1739913928728355059?t=Fwds1xyKE4fMZT-k9ofGlA&s=19

You really do not want to get this, take it from me.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/EUScienceInnov/status/1739956792971469303?s=20

It's #EpidemicPreparedness Day! 🦠

Today we'd like to emphasize:
🌍 The need for global responses through dialogue & partnership
🤝 The importance of shared knowledge, collaboration and mutual respect to a healthy future
🔬 Our commitment to support R&I for #PandemicPredaredness

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Fine, albeit a bit too short opinion piece, which I enjoyed (just a short excerpt to give some idea of content):

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/merry-christmas-and-a-happy-new-year-from-covid/ posted:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year—From Covid
If we want to mitigate the great existential threats to our survival—from microbes to the warming planet—we’re going to need bolder thinking than “getting back to normal.”

I cannot believe I am writing another column on Covid. Covid is so last year, the year before, and the year before that. The best and brightest—the noisiest voices about getting back to normal from the past three years—have taken their erstwhile concern for Americans’ public health and gone back to their lucrative concierge medical practices, writing about reviving the American dream, and pooling education data for worried upper-middle-class parents. Normal is as normal does.
(..)
Stripling has talked of another choice we all have beyond the life of parasites. He and his coauthor, the philosopher Jordan Pascoe, have just published an article in the journal Health Security, called “Parasitic Resilience: The Next Phase of Public Health Preparedness Must Address Power Imbalances Between Communities.” They have used the phrase “an underlying ethics of care,” to refer to a different, alternative form of pandemic response based on community renewal. They call for these ethics to replace notions of resilience that rely on perpetuating inequalities and reinforcing a status quo that predominantly serves those who have always had more to begin with in the face of public health emergencies. An ethics of care seeks to build-in systems that are purposefully more prosocial during these crises. But it will take more than a visit from the Ghost of Pandemic Future to move us away from parasitic resilience towards something better, fairer, more just and generous.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Yes, well... it is going to have to compete for room.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/ebola-outbreak-west-africa-10-year-anniversary/ posted:

The Ebola survivors who are still infectious – 10 years after the world’s biggest outbreak
A decade after the virus ravaged West Africa, the threat of its return looms in an unlikely source: the testicles of men who survived

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Predicted risk of heart failure pandemic due to persistent SARS-CoV-2 infection using a three-dimensional cardiac model"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2589004223027189 posted:

Highlights
• Persistent SARS-CoV-2 infection model of human cardiac tissue was established
• Hypoxic stress to the persistent infection model led to cardiac dysfunction
• ACE2 and SARS-CoV-2 S protein expression were elevated after the hypoxic stress
• This research may predict a “heart failure pandemic” in the post COVID-19 era

Summary
Patients with chronic cardiomyopathy may have persistent viral infections in their hearts, particularly with SARS-CoV-2, which targets the ACE2 receptor highly expressed in human hearts. This raises concerns about a potential global heart failure pandemic stemming from COVID-19, an SARS-CoV-2 pandemic in near future. Although faced with this healthcare caveat, there is limited research on persistent viral heart infections, and no models have been established. In this study, we created an SARS-CoV-2 persistent infection model using human iPS cell-derived cardiac microtissues (CMTs). Mild infections sustained viral presence without significant dysfunction for a month, indicating persistent infection. However, when exposed to hypoxic conditions mimicking ischemic heart diseases, cardiac function deteriorated alongside intracellular SARS-CoV-2 reactivation in cardiomyocytes and disrupted vascular network formation. This study demonstrates that SARS-CoV-2 persistently infects the heart opportunistically causing cardiac dysfunction triggered by detrimental stimuli such as ischemia, potentially predicting a post COVID-19 era heart failure pandemic.

Graphical abstract

(..)

News article on the matter:

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20231226/p2a/00m/0sc/047000c posted:

Post-COVID 'heart failure pandemic' possible: Japan researchers

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Indian authorities seem scared, even while they are protesting this is something to be scared of.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/bengaluru-news/oneweek-home-isolation-for-covid-patients-in-karnataka-minster-101703620132245.html posted:

One-week home isolation for Covid patients in Karnataka: Minster

State health minister Dinesh Gundu Rao on Tuesday said that those testing positive for Covid-19 in the state will have to undergo home quarantine for a week. Following a meeting of the Technical Advisory Committee, he said that 36 individuals have tested positive for the JN.1 variant of the virus in the state. Currently, there are 436 active Covid-19 cases, with those who tested positive placed under home isolation, closely monitored by health officials.

“Whoever gets Covid has to stay at home for a week. So, we have ordered that (any organisation) government or private should provide leave to a person if they are found to be having Covid-19 and unable to reach the office because of the same,” he said.
(..)
The minister said that out of 60 samples sent for genome sequencing, 34 were identified as the JN.1 variant, along with another variant, JN.1.1. The health minister reassured public, stating that while the variant is new, there is no need for panic. “The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified it as a variant of interest, and there are no advisories suggesting it is dangerous,” he said.

During the meeting, acknowledging the severity of the situation
, chief minister (CM) Siddaramaiah advised caution and ordered an inspection of the Intensive Care Units (ICUs) in the state. Oxygen supply and Liquid Medical Oxygen (LMO) have been notified to be equipped in the state to prevent oxygen deficiencies.
(..)
:thunk:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
There is literally zero data that supports this assertion, yet - for some reason - I've seen it repeated many different places :iiam:

https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/news/covid-cases-hospitalizations-on-the-rise-in-northern-california-as-new-variant-spreads/ posted:

COVID cases, hospitalizations on the rise in Northern California as new variant spreads

COVID-19 cases are climbing once again and hospitalizations in our region are also up. A new variant of the coronavirus is likely what is driving this increase, making up about 44% of all cases nationwide.

The new variant, JN.1, may be more contagious, but data shows that it is less severe.
(..)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

"Predicted risk of heart failure pandemic due to persistent SARS-CoV-2 infection using a three-dimensional cardiac model"

News article on the matter:

The whole heart motif surrounding Valentines day is going to be extremely on point.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

The whole heart motif surrounding Valentines day is going to be extremely on point.

Heartbreaking.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Cross posting from the I/P thread

fizziester posted:

Source: Times of Israel

https://www.timesofisrael.com/as-soldier-with-fungal-infection-dies-fears-grow-of-gaza-diseases-spreading-into-israel/

As Israeli Nazi with fungal infection dies, fears grow of Gaza diseases spreading into Israel
By RENEE GHERT-ZAND
26 December 2023, 4:50 pm

The death of a badly wounded Israeli Nazi in an Israeli hospital who was infected with a dangerous strain of fungus while fighting in the Gaza Strip has raised concerns about disease in Gaza affecting troops and possibly spreading to Israeli civilians.

According to a Kan public broadcaster report, the Israeli Nazi was brought to Assuta Ashdod Medical Center two weeks ago with severe limb injuries. Despite round-the-clock care, the fungus proved to be treatment-resistant and the Israeli Nazi succumbed to his wounds.

Israeli Nazi medical officials have not yet determined his cause of death, but confirm that there are isolated cases of similar fungal infections among wounded Israeli Nazis returning from Gaza.

Civilian experts who spoke with The Times of Israel warned that cases of potentially deadly fungal infections — and other serious afflictions among Israeli Nazis — are less isolated than has been reported.

All Israeli hospitals have reported that a significant percentage of wounded Israeli Nazis have come back with serious antimicrobial-resistant infections that they’ve picked up through contact with contaminated soil, among other factors, said Prof. Nadav Davidovitch, an epidemiologist who heads Ben-Gurion University of the Negev’s School of Public Health.

Treatment resistant fungus infections? Where had we've heard about that before? :thunk:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Let’s workshop dude speak.

“Paxlovid is like close air support to suppress the enemy while the boots on the ground neutralize the threat.

“Don’t be a fool. Call for air support.”

I know you can do it, everyone knows you can do it, so it doesn’t matter if you take a little help just in case. actually nobody will ever know, I won’t tell!

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Zugzwang posted:

I frequently see headlines about the chemo drug shortage. The articles are always "yep there's still a shortage." Not knowing if you can even get the drug(s) you need adds a whole other layer of hell onto the hell of having cancer. Sometimes there are alternative drugs that work just as well, but sometimes there just aren't. :thumbsup:

there's a lot of drug shortages all around... they were initially blamed on supply chain disruptions caused by covid shutdowns of course, but they're still happening and getting worse so im inclined to think it's more that a lot of these drugs companies are private equity fronts that were leveraging themselves to the hilt to buy as much intellectual property and distribution rights as possible... then they got turbofucked by interest rates spiking and their business models fell apart so lots of them either went bankrupt or scaled back production to reduce costs

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

Heartbreaking - the worst virus you know just made a convincing point

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pingui posted:

There is literally zero data that supports this assertion, yet - for some reason - I've seen it repeated many different places :iiam:

The AI writing those articles is trained on Omicron-era articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Dren posted:

The AI writing those articles is trained on Omicron-era articles.

Sadly the article is more or less a transcript of the video at the link, where those words are also spoken. Admittedly that doesn't mean it isn't AI follies, but imo it is likelier that the issue is that reporters are trained on Omicron-era articles.