Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

'We have such sights to show you... what do you mean, "it's going back on Boxing Day so I hope you kept the receipt"?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

LMAO didn't see the box on my phone but now I do and its hilarious and also yeah okay i see that

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If I hadnt seen the post that spawned this thread title I’d assume it was about The Happening

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

lol

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

It's a Wonderful Knife was alright, not bad but nothing really that special. I wanted more of Justin Long, especially since it seemed like he had some kind of hypnotic power or mesmerizing magic in that alternate timeline.

I like all the performances a lot (especially Justin Long) but nothing else really stood out to me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Justin Longs teeth in Its a Wonderful Knife should have had their own credits

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hollismason posted:

Justin Longs teeth in Its a Wonderful Knife should have had their own credits

They really did elevate the movie. I liked it a lot more than I probably should have and he was a big part of it. The "Justin Long as a creepy dude in horror" momentum is something I'm on board with

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm starting to worry that none of the theatres around me are going to pickup Poor Things :derp:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Outwaters is rear end and Machete Zombie and/or whoever else in this thread recommended it to me needs to eat a sixer.

Bro if you don't want to let me watch your movie, just don't release it.

Never been more frustrated than with this glacial, self-indulgent garbage. The commitment to FF was a horrific one, and the story (such as can be divined from approximately 1/20th of the actual movie, as most of it is pure black) does not justify its length in any way.

You didn't scare me, you made a movie where I can't see poo poo and then there's screeching noises and bright lights. That's not even Conjuring 'jump scare'-levels of competence.

In a way, though, the Outwaters does have one thing going for it: It teaches, in the most object lesson possible, why FF doesn't work. The two main issues are:

1) Why are you still filming this?
and
2) What does this gain from an authentic feel vs. traditional shot setups?

This movie has literally no answer for 1), and 2) is also laboriously rendered moot because of its incredibly outré effects and events. If I'm not meant to believe this actually occurred (which I don't, since they literally set up camp on time-looping alien land), then there's no way I'm excited to watch something that's just "a good movie, ruined by poo poo camerawork"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think anyone itt made it

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

The Outwaters is rear end and Machete Zombie and/or whoever else in this thread recommended it to me needs to eat a sixer.

Bro if you don't want to let me watch your movie, just don't release it.

Never been more frustrated than with this glacial, self-indulgent garbage. The commitment to FF was a horrific one, and the story (such as can be divined from approximately 1/20th of the actual movie, as most of it is pure black) does not justify its length in any way.

You didn't scare me, you made a movie where I can't see poo poo and then there's screeching noises and bright lights. That's not even Conjuring 'jump scare'-levels of competence.

In a way, though, the Outwaters does have one thing going for it: It teaches, in the most object lesson possible, why FF doesn't work. The two main issues are:

1) Why are you still filming this?
and
2) What does this gain from an authentic feel vs. traditional shot setups?

This movie has literally no answer for 1), and 2) is also laboriously rendered moot because of its incredibly outré effects and events. If I'm not meant to believe this actually occurred (which I don't, since they literally set up camp on time-looping alien land), then there's no way I'm excited to watch something that's just "a good movie, ruined by poo poo camerawork"

lol, I just finished watching this 30 min ago, and it was a slog. I've liked some FF stuff, but this was pretty bad.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shrecknet posted:

let me watch your movie
Never been more frustrated
divined from approximately 1/20th of the actual movie
I can't see poo poo

As usual, I recommend understanding what you saw before posting about it.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I think I liked outwaters. To me, it was the best example I've seen of what experiencing some sort of Eldritch/Lovectaftian horror would be like. You've got time bending in on itself in an inconceivable way, people transitioning through various states of sanity, and tentacles.

I don't generally enjoy the shaky cam, ff style, and this movie definitely had parts that irked me and didn't change my mind on it. However, I think it was important to the story it was telling. For example, early after they arrive in the desert, he is sort of just filming the wall of the tent randomly, and I remember thinking that it was odd/dumb, but later you see that in one of the loops one of the girls is sitting there bloody and asking for help. I don't think that, and other similar scenes, would work well without the 1st person view. It also really helped put me, they viewer, in a similar state of disorientation and confusion as the characters so that I felt like them.

Really, the only part I wasn't really a fan of was towards the end when he cuts his penis off. I get that at that point he had basically lost all reason and is sort of self mutilating himself, but I dunno, it felt needlessly shocking and almost juvenile/random. Not sure how to explain it, but he could have just as easily cut other things up/off. To choose his penis felt like it would have made more sense if there had been other sexual or reproductive themes throughout.

Not sure I'd really care to watch it again. Maybe once just to pick up on things I might have missed before knowing the end. But I'm glad I watched it and probably would recommend it with the caveat that it isn't going to change your mind on shaky cam if you loathe it, but uses the medium to tell an unsettling story.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
re: Outwaters

Douche4Sale posted:

To choose his penis felt like it would have made more sense if there had been other sexual or reproductive themes throughout.
aren't there?

also it's a beautiful movie

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Better Watch Out was just like, completely repellant imo. Thought it was total cringey garbage. :shrug:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

There's Something in the Barn is a great double feature with Krampus.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Krampus felt a lot like Gremlins to me which is a very good thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

that was me i think. good movie! i liked when the worms screamed at the guy.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 27, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Krampus felt a lot like Gremlins to me which is a very good thing.

It was good that they decided to throw a lot of stuff in there aside from just Krampus. The gingerbread man, the big worm thing, the elves, etc. The movie wouldn't have had enough momentum without that stuff adding some extra fun to the mix.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Better Watch Out was just like, completely repellant imo. Thought it was total cringey garbage. :shrug:

it sucks op

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'll take a sixer for recommending Outwaters. I love the way it's paced and the imagery (i.e some of the shots above). Pretty nice castration scene too. Outwaters has it all.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

:hmmyes:

Outwaters is really cool when it takes time to breathe and let me understand what I’m seeing. I get wanting to put you in the same lost, confused and scared mindset of the cast but often I felt like there might be something wrong with my TV.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the trick with Outwaters is it takes a long time to get good, like over half the movie. but once it gets good it gets really good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the trick with Outwaters is it takes a long time to get good, like over half the movie. but once it gets good it gets really good.

That is called PACING, another recipe nearly lost to time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

See I like the whole movie. I think the front end is really cool and a good approach to the character stuff

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yea it's pretty bad. So is The Outwaters. I'll never fault a director for taking a chance but I also think horror fans should be more open to saying movies suck instead of doing the theater art kid thing of loving everything.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Doltos posted:

I'll never fault a director for taking a chance but I also think horror fans should be more open to saying movies suck instead of doing the theater art kid thing of loving everything.

Me quoting this has nothing to do with the movies being discussed as I haven't seen them. I just agree that some horror fans get rather defensive and don't like to admit that some poo poo just sucks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What if I just genuinely enjoy most movies?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I even used the word "some" so nobody would feel personally attacked but sure, you suck for genuinely enjoying most movies.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MacheteZombie posted:

That's fine too I just feel like there's a lot of toxic positivity in horror discussion online. It happens in this thread a lot too where someone doesn't like something and they get their throat jumped down because they used the word bad.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MacheteZombie posted:

See I like the whole movie. I think the front end is really cool and a good approach to the character stuff

I honestly preferred the first half, it had some really good atmosphere and I really liked the way it developed the main character's relationship with his family. I think I just have a limited tolerance for media that's about being confused and lost, particularly when it's just one person. It gives me the same feeling I get when I have to shepherd a drunk person.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Doltos posted:

Yea it's pretty bad. So is The Outwaters. I'll never fault a director for taking a chance but I also think horror fans should be more open to saying movies suck instead of doing the theater art kid thing of loving everything.

Why?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Because it was annoyingly overbearing in high school and people should have convictions

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I even used the word "some" so nobody would feel personally attacked but sure, you suck for genuinely enjoying most movies.

I dont feel personally attacked. Well maybe by shreks post but certainly not yours lol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Do you think that liking something means you are definitionally uncritical?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Doltos posted:

Because it was annoyingly overbearing in high school and people should have convictions

I'm not sure I agree with your specific conclusion but I am definitely on board with your reasoning.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

weekly font posted:

Outwaters is really cool when it takes time to breathe and let me understand what I’m seeing. I get wanting to put you in the same lost, confused and scared mindset of the cast but often I felt like there might be something wrong with my TV.
This is the crux of it to me. It's the found-footage conceit that sinks The Outwaters, it's a really good movie if it's done any other way. But the director has mistaken disorientation for actual scares and/or discombobulation. Our literal POV character says nothing through the entire second half and takes actions no human would take, even under the most mind-shattering of conditions. If things were in-frame and lit, it would be excusable, but with only a pinhole of light to see, and shaky-rear end camerawork (who brings a video camera and not a stabilizer rig to a music video shoot??!) it's just "oooh, you can't tell what's going on, can you? I bet it's pretty spooky though!" and honestly, gently caress you director. No it is not.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I honestly preferred the first half, it had some really good atmosphere and I really liked the way it developed the main character's relationship with his family. I think I just have a limited tolerance for media that's about being confused and lost, particularly when it's just one person. It gives me the same feeling I get when I have to shepherd a drunk person.
The first half retroactively infuriates me because it's doing the FF thing of "banal normal life" stuff but also doing it shittily and for way longer than it needs to. A hour and 50 goddamn minutes? Are you actually making GBS threads me right now? Indulgent in the extreme. I watched this at 1.25x speed, speeding up to 1.5x for long sections until finally reaching for the 10s Advance button during the star scene because you got your shot and made your point, how about moving on? There's no score or dialog since you didn't use any in your lovely FF wankathon, so you've only got visuals to offer, so once they've been delivered what have you got left.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That is called PACING, another recipe nearly lost to time.
Clearly the art of pacing was lost because this movie has no sense of it, giving us 50 minutes with a bunch of a pretentious musician and her hangers-on and then removes them all from the film to never be seen again. Whee. :effort:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do you think that liking something means you are definitionally uncritical?
I think it's important, whether you like or dislike something, to interrogate why you are having that emotional response. If it's a bad movie but you can't explain why it's bad, instead just declaring it so, that's not defensible and is rightly called out. But the opposite is also true. It doesn't have to be valid, it can be as pedestrian as "the kills were cool and the one girl had awesome boobs" but you have to have a reason.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 27, 2023

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah, I kind of approach most movies with the mindset of 'who would enjoy this movie' and 'what would someone enjoy about this movie' and if I can genuinely arrive at 'no one except someone financially invested in it' and 'nothing' then I'm happy to write it off as a movie that sucks, and that is fairly rare. I'd rather have a conversation with someone that enjoys a lot of things, than someone who has a very small and specific subset of things they allow themselves to enjoy. I know too many of the latter and they are exhausting, especially when they make hating things their entire personality (not saying that anyone in this thread is this person, though).

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Maybe in high school it was fun being Donnie Darko irl but I am 32 years old and haven't worried about what people I knew 15 years ago thought in a very long time. That's your hangup.

Sure people shouldn't just Consume Uncritically but You Personally not vibing with something does not make it objectively bad (just as Me Personally liking something doesn't make it Objectively Good, but hell I'll at least be able to gush about all the things I like about a controversial piece of art I love). There are often cases where I think it takes more nuance to wring meaning from "low" art and stranger or more experimental stuff than it does to "consume critically". I'll take a glowing review of a VS release from MacheteZombie over some of the CinemaSins-rear end reviews I've seen in the First Impressions thread any day lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I was on board at first, but not sure I still give a poo poo what people in high school think. Then or now.