Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Millers Crossing had a pretty great and definite ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

deoju posted:

The central motivation of the protagonist is never resolved; All the dude wanted was his rug back.

The rug was a stand-in for the meaning of life

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Dawn of the Dead, 300, and Watchmen were good overindulgent nights at the movies. Snyder is fine when he’s working from someone else’s material but hoo boy don’t let him near a screenplay program.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Watchmen is a decently fun movie but its a bad adaptation of the comic. The fact that he got rid of the squid is just miserable.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Caesar Saladin posted:

Watchmen is a decently fun movie but its a bad adaptation of the comic. The fact that he got rid of the squid is just miserable.

Lol just went ahead and got rid of the whole loving point of the story

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Gordon Ramsey made a loving grilled cheese sandwich with hard, crusty bread, olive oil, two hard cheeses that don't melt, and loving kimchi on it. gently caress that poo poo! I'm sorry I'm very angry that he thought that sandwich was good enough to share with the world.

That sounds delicious, tbh.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It didn't look good at all, the cheese still looked cold in the middle of a sandwich which looked kinda burned

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Watchmen is a lovely comic because it is awful to look at. It essentially throws every advantage of a visual medium in the loving garbage in favor of rigid, claustrophobic paneling, talking heads, and laughably dense walls of text. There's an incredible story in there, but jfc just write a novel you dick.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
That's pretty much all of Alan Moore's writing except The Killing Joke

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Watchmen is a lovely comic because it is awful to look at. It essentially throws every advantage of a visual medium in the loving garbage in favor of rigid, claustrophobic paneling, talking heads, and laughably dense walls of text. There's an incredible story in there, but jfc just write a novel you dick.

I don't recall if it had a point, but every time that pirate "story within a story" came up, I was like, BORING!

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Montague Tigg posted:

That's pretty much all of Alan Moore's writing except The Killing Joke

Probably explains why I bounced off V for Vendetta, too. Look at this gently caress ugly layout:

Who can even attempt to parse that poo poo without getting a headache? And for some reason like every page is the same 9 panel layout. Barf.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Hate is a strong word but I find the world and characters from the main Critical Role campaigns to be bland and unoriginal. The cartoon is just godawful, just one perverted or sassy one-liner after another, worse than most marvel movies.

I have enjoyed watching the players/dms when they've been guests on other D&D shows, clearly very creative and talented people. I just think they are held back by the limitations of CR.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Probably explains why I bounced off V for Vendetta, too. Look at this gently caress ugly layout:

The UK in the 80's under thatcher just had a loving ugly layout like that. THis is just reflecting reality!

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Hard agree. No notes.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm going to go back in time to a very long ago 'hate' that everyone loved film that I eventually softened on the last time I saw some of it...

Ang Lee's Hulk.

That movie came out and it seemed like everyone in comics fandom was treating it like it was great. It was the best comic book ever made, it was the smartest and most adult comic book movie ever made. You had to LOVE that movie or things could get ugly.

Then, like 5 years later once the MCU started rolling, all that did a 180 where I kind of liked bits of the Lee Hulk but everyone else hated it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm going to go back in time to a very long ago 'hate' that everyone loved film that I eventually softened on the last time I saw some of it...

Ang Lee's Hulk.

That movie came out and it seemed like everyone in comics fandom was treating it like it was great. It was the best comic book ever made, it was the smartest and most adult comic book movie ever made. You had to LOVE that movie or things could get ugly.

Then, like 5 years later once the MCU started rolling, all that did a 180 where I kind of liked bits of the Lee Hulk but everyone else hated it.

I do NOT remember this being the reaction.

The overwhelming opinion that I remember would at best be described as “tepid”. Very few people talking about it being terrible, which was definitely a step up from most superhero movies, but nobody was gushing about it being great or anything.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Doom Rooster posted:

I do NOT remember this being the reaction.

The overwhelming opinion that I remember would at best be described as “tepid”. Very few people talking about it being terrible, which was definitely a step up from most superhero movies, but nobody was gushing about it being great or anything.

I'll admit it was polarizing to the point that I think Universal actually rode that into part of their ad campaign as the 'most talked about movie of the Summer', but it really felt like every comic fan I knew and so many critics were gushing about it.

I knew people who were seeing multiple times, in groups, wanting to go back and see it AGAIN right afterwards. Maybe it was regional or specific demographic thing, but it felt like I was really an outsider at the time for not liking it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The only thing I remember about that movie is a scene where a bad guy got caught in an explosion and it turned into a comic frame for a second.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'll admit it was polarizing to the point that I think Universal actually rode that into part of their ad campaign as the 'most talked about movie of the Summer', but it really felt like every comic fan I knew and so many critics were gushing about it.

I knew people who were seeing multiple times, in groups, wanting to go back and see it AGAIN right afterwards. Maybe it was regional or specific demographic thing, but it felt like I was really an outsider at the time for not liking it.
Oh yeah that wasn't the experience where I was. I went to see it with my girlfriend at the time and she passed out. When she woke up she asked how it was and as a huge comics nerd I told her "it was pretty terrible."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I remember the giant Hulk Poodle

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

JediTalentAgent posted:

I didn't know anyone who liked it, myself included.

The monster poodle was pretty funny though.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

The princess bride.

Put the pitchforks down and let me explain being forced to watch something even something great 500+ times as a kid when I’d literally rather be doing anything else makes you not like a thing whatever it is. I can tell it’s good hell I can tell it’s great but by god gently caress that movie and the babysitter that just wanted to watch that and nothing else.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Haruharuharuko posted:

The princess bride.

Put the pitchforks down and let me explain being forced to watch something even something great 500+ times as a kid when I’d literally rather be doing anything else makes you not like a thing whatever it is. I can tell it’s good hell I can tell it’s great but by god gently caress that movie and the babysitter that just wanted to watch that and nothing else.

Have fun storming the castle!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Ehhh, no need to apologize. Princess Bride is a slog.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

*sighs and unsheaths my six-fingered rapier*

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Cyril Sneer posted:

Ehhh, no need to apologize. Princess Bride is a slog.

Yup never understood the love :shrug:

Unfortunately I only see the creepy rapist from Kiss the Girls too, that doesn't help

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Haruharuharuko posted:

The princess bride.

watched this for the first time this year at 39 years old after hearing people my age sing its praises basically my whole life

it's a dumb baby movie for babies that's not good at all. idk what i was expecting, really. something a little less cheesy or with a little more imagination or something. but yeah i thought it was pretty trash.

i could see it being different if it was one of the 8 movies i had on vhs as a kid and forced to develop a relationship with it somehow. but for me that was robocop and total recall so probably still wouldn't have worked for me, anyway.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I didn't see The Princess Bride until I was in my twenties. It's fine. It's a movie I might rewatch if enough years elapse that I mostly forget all the details. But it isn't something I go out of my way for.

There's a lot of individual parts of the movie I enjoy, but in totality it's just a decent to good movie, nothing else.

Edit: maybe toxic nostalgia and constant attempts to reconstruct childhoods bad maybe possibly who knows?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Princess Bride was a movie I watched for the first time in my late teens and discovered that this is where all the clever quotes I'd heard a bunch of times came from. To me at least the movie is a delight, everyone involved is clearly having fun with it, and I think your inner child has to be dead to not at least appreciate the dueling scene or the battle of wits.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

People love media they consumed as a child, more at 11

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
only gonna allow my kid to watch Fata Morgana and Aguirre the Wrath of God when he hits 7, just to be sure

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Haruharuharuko posted:

The princess bride.

Yeah can appreciate small parts of it but never understood people losing their minds for it. Especially learning during filming some actors were bruising ribs laughing so hard at Billy Crystal… doing a voice? Huh?

At least the dueling scene is cool.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

People love media they consumed as a child, more at 11

Yeah same thing with Goonies, heard about it for years then when I sat down to watch kept waiting for it to get good.

Also, Robocop is one of my favorites & finally got around to the sequel this year. Turned it off after 15 minutes, was painfully trying to mimic the original without understanding the humor or characters.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The Goonies is just a bad movie, I made it 45 minutes in and decided I didn't want to waste the remaining runtime on watching the movie. Just don't understand what makes people go insane about it. Everyone I've talked to who seems to love it also seemed to live a very idealistic childhood tbh.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

laughing so hard at Billy Crystal… doing a voice? Huh?

This sums up about 85% of Billy Crystal’s career.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

syntaxfunction posted:

Everyone I've talked to who seems to love it also seemed to live a very idealistic childhood tbh.

My childhood sucked. Goonies is great. :colbert:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Okay a lot of people had idealistic childhoods, others are just wrong, there ya go.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I hate those overly saccharine and manipulative pixar movies designed to try and make people cry. Stop trying to make movies that are just a huge bummer with cloying music with a mother dying or whatever.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I like the idea of Goonies, but I hated it even as a kid, because the kids in the film just never stop screaming and yelling at each other.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 27, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
A little late, but I do not like Alan Moore's work altogether. It's very edgy teen boy, I hate the way he writes women, and I extra hate that he has become the gold standard of Western "adult" comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I didn’t see The Princess Bride until my 20s and I thought it was great; now that everything is quite edgy and ironic I was taken aback by how sincere it was— so it felt very fresh to me, like someone had come along with this new wholesome way of making movies