Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Flikken posted:

If the Browns don't get Watson, they sign Baker to an extension. Lamar would have never entered into the picture.

I see your point there. But they still could have thrown Mayfield in as part of the trade to the Ravens or some other team who might want him. Mayfield wasnt in line to be one of the top paid QBs in the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Metapod posted:

Kawalimus did you have a nice holiday?

Not too bad just annoyed the Ravens kept me up for the game then the arguments after. Part of the reason I normally skip the 2nd halves of these night games is because I know they are going to get me agitated and then Ill get in some dumb fight after that keeps me up until 2 or 3 in the morning. But this was a high level bout and we were threatening a big upset so I made an exception.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kawalimus posted:

I see your point there. But they still could have thrown Mayfield in as part of the trade to the Ravens or some other team who might want him. Mayfield wasnt in line to be one of the top paid QBs in the league

I uhhhh what?

Dude, Lamar was never going to go directly from the Ravens to the Browns.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Yeah, that was never gonna happen. Even if the Ravens were fine doing that, I don't think the Browns would've wanted to give that many first rounders in the division. PLUS, in that scenario, a bunch of cap is tied into the Baker extension which would've made it impossible to move and fit a new bigger deal for Lamar.

A lot of teams should've tried to get Lamar and a lot of them would've been pretty feasible. Cleveland would never have been one of them.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Joe Burrows bones are hollow and made of prop glass

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the browns can have lamar when hes 45 and becomes the only browns qb since joe flacco to be good at football

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

the browns can have lamar when hes 45 and becomes the only browns qb since joe flacco to be good at football

Wow, Lamar finally has a season where he's still healthy after week 16 and we're already thinking he's playing another 20 years

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Rolando McClain

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kelly Greggggg

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

Not too bad just annoyed the Ravens kept me up for the game then the arguments after. Part of the reason I normally skip the 2nd halves of these night games is because I know they are going to get me agitated and then Ill get in some dumb fight after that keeps me up until 2 or 3 in the morning. But this was a high level bout and we were threatening a big upset so I made an exception.

Well I'm happy the ravens made it worth it for you

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Reuben Droughns

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

The Browns would absolutely have had to pay Baker $40-45M per. I believe this would have been the offseason following Dak getting 45-50 or whatever.

Is Baker worth 40-45? Absolutely not, but that was the going rate for an above average starter QB.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The Browns would absolutely have had to pay Baker $40-45M per. I believe this would have been the offseason following Dak getting 45-50 or whatever.

Is Baker worth 40-45? Absolutely not, but that was the going rate for an above average starter QB.

Plus, there were multiple reports they offered him basically a Tannehill level extension and he balked because he wanted top of the market.

Oberstwo
Aug 19, 2022

Joe Flacco said retarded

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Oberstwo posted:

Joe Flacco said retarded

he was right to

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Oberstwo posted:

Joe Flacco said retarded

You introduced yourself to him?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
https://x.com/mattblively/status/1739526907170087062?s=20

Brock's deadbeat dad ruined another Christmas

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Pat Ricard
Kyle Juszczyk
Vonta Leach
Lorenzo Neal
Le'Ron McClain
Ovie Mughelli
Alan Ricard

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

lol

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

Pat Ricard
Kyle Juszczyk
Vonta Leach
Lorenzo Neal
Le'Ron McClain
Ovie Mughelli
Alan Ricard

Sam Gash
Chuck Evans
Obafemi Ayanbadejo
Roosevelt Potts

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Phillip "Bigg" Crungus

Oberstwo
Aug 19, 2022

sharknado slashfic posted:

who did this

Oberstwo
Aug 19, 2022

the afcn thread is retarded

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

i am and i'm not sorry

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/EverettBrock88/status/1739747249075130441?t=IbFBAvWDAMjEcb_qzCJhMg&s=19

What has this division come to

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

How many of these yards Copper got in the few Flacco games? it's a lot, right?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

How many of these yards Copper got in the few Flacco games? it's a lot, right?

Just about 500.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

A Ravens drafted WR in the top 5 and not even 5th unbelievable.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Ravens are also the only team with their starting QB, and that's where their top WR ranks

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the browns have their best qb all time right now? u seem confused

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1739708906782286334?t=gvKnaQXh9HMilUf3ngEwCw&s=19

Stefanski to fans "Please don't get too hammered so that you aren't as loud in the 4th quarter"

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

no

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Sharing this here, too, for the Ravens fans:

https://theathletic.com/5161135/2023/12/27/nfl-week-16-results-scores-coaching-decisions/

Very good look at what your D did to destroy the 49ers.

quote:

With their full cache of weapons available, the 49ers’ offense looked unstoppable. From weeks 10-15, they scored 34.5 points per game and averaged 1.29 EPA per drive (above 0.35 is considered elite). That came to a screeching halt when the Ravens and their No. 1 defense came to town. They made Brock Purdy look truly panicked for the first time in his young NFL career and intercepted him four times.

The Ravens typically will crowd the line of scrimmage and bring simulated pressures (pressures with four rushers with one of the rushers coming from the second or third level). Most of those pressures involve linebackers blitzing up the middle of the line but against the 49ers, who attack the middle of the field better than any other team, Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald didn’t have their linebackers mug as much as they usually do and brought pressure from the edges. The Ravens didn’t want to make it easy for the 49ers to gash them in the middle of the field with hot throws. On the third play of the game, they had linebacker Roquan Smith mug the line and blitz and they got burned for a 58-yard pass to George Kittle. After that play, MacDonald seemed to adjust and went away from their usual style of play.

One of the key plays of the game came on a corner blitz in which corner Brandon Stephens blitzed and tipped Purdy’s pass that was intercepted by Marlon Humphrey. I asked Stephens about the play after the game.

The 49ers line up in a lot of compressed formations, which shortens the distance that corners have to travel for blitzes. This was actually a pretty impressive read by Purdy to see the blitz coming. The free safety only slightly moved outside to get on top of Deebo Samuel (top of the screen) right before the snap. The play call was a run but Purdy saw the blitz coming and wanted to throw a “now” route to Samuel.

“If he realizes it’s a corner blitz, I know the quarterback is going to go to a ‘now’ with no one being outside,” Stephens said. “I just timed up the jump and gave our guy Marlo a chance to make a play on the ball.”

Technically, Purdy made the right read and play but Stephens did a great job of tipping the pass and Humphrey, who was blitzing from the other side, made a play on the ball.

Later in the game, the Ravens did blitz a linebacker but did it in a unique way.

Here, linebacker Patrick Queen lined up close to the sideline almost like he was trying to hide from Purdy’s vision in the middle of the field. The Ravens were in man coverage across the board. Smith mugged the B-gap to the offensive left so the line slid that way, while no one accounted for Queen, who came from the right.

Corner Ronald Darby did a good job of cutting off Willie Snead running a slant and Purdy didn’t get to his second read quickly enough as Queen was closing in on him. Samuel was wide open and would have easily gotten the first down and more.

Stephens described Purdy as a “spot thrower” and said that they just needed to be in the spots that he likes to throw to based on film. I believe he means that Purdy is an anticipation thrower and he’s going to throw with anticipation into windows that he believes will open based on the coverage. Though Macdonald deserves a lot of credit for his play calling, he had the Ravens prepared to capitalize on Purdy’s tendencies.

Oberstwo
Aug 19, 2022

Flikken posted:

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1739708906782286334?t=gvKnaQXh9HMilUf3ngEwCw&s=19

Stefanski to fans "Please don't get too hammered so that you aren't as loud in the 4th quarter"

those fans better know theyre messing with the wrong coach

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Coldforge posted:

Sharing this here, too, for the Ravens fans:

https://theathletic.com/5161135/2023/12/27/nfl-week-16-results-scores-coaching-decisions/

Very good look at what your D did to destroy the 49ers.

I saw earlier that Hamilton had snaps at like 6 different positions.

Yep

https://x.com/ryanmink/status/1739885797304676563?s=20

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

it owns that he fell to 14 because he blew his 40 at the combine

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

AndrewP posted:

also safety is a non premium position. so is center.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Not the first guy we've gotten a chance to get because of that

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
No time better to get your Flacco jersey

https://twitter.com/DUDEwipes/status/1740109108169297951

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man I seriously don’t get why they put this poo poo up, but not a drat tshirt jersey. Is this like having a hardback book be on the market for a year before the soft back releases to make more money?