Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

salient
Jan 2, 2021

quote:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/study-shows-infants-exposed-covid-utero-risk-developmental-delay

Study shows infants exposed to COVID in utero at risk for developmental delay

A new study based on a cohort of Brazilian infants shows those who were exposed to SARS-CoV-2 infections in the uterus may be at an increased risk for developmental delays in the first year of life.

"All mothers were unvaccinated at the time of cohort inclusion, and maternal demographics were similar in the two groups," the authors wrote. At 12 months, 20.3% of COVID-exposed children and 5.9% of the controls received a diagnosis of neurodevelopmental delay (risk ratio, 3.44; 95% confidence interval, 1.19 to 9.95). For the exposed group, the prevalence of neurodevelopment impairment using the Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ-3) was 35.7% at 4 months, 7.0% at 6 months, and 32.1% at 12 months. "Over 50% of the SARS-CoV-2 exposed infants presented ASQ-3 scores below the expected cutoff, with about half classified with neurodevelopmental delay, mainly at 4 and 12 months,” the authors wrote.

In follow-up of exposed infants, the researchers found 10% had an abnormal result on cranial ultrasonography, mainly mild ventriculomegaly, a swelling in the brain caused by cerebrospinal fluid buildup.

quote:

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(23)00802-0/fulltext

Developmental impairment in children exposed during pregnancy to maternal SARS-COV2: A Brazilian cohort study.

SARS-CoV-2 exposure was associated with neurodevelopmental impairment, and specific guidelines are needed for the follow-up of these high-risk children to mitigate the long-term effects on children's health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Steve Yun posted:

have you been quarantining from them using thread advice about air flow

no, by the time I realized I was dealing with COVID (my oldest was sick on Monday, then youngest didn't feel well Wednesday evening, and I tested her Thursday afternoon), I had already assumed I got got and accepted my fate, though again, did jack up filters and open windows.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

salient posted:

Study shows infants exposed to COVID in utero at risk for developmental delay

Sadly you're only immune to COVID from birth to high school graduation. After that it becomes mild.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Is caffeine unrecommended post-covid due to cardiovascular effects?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Any developmental delays will be blamed on remote schooling that happened three years before they were born.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Any developmental delays will be blamed on remote schooling that happened three years before they were born.

someone is going to unironically say lockdowns had an epigenetic effect and im going to lose my loving mind

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pink Mist posted:

depends on which doctors you ask!

Do you have fatigue due to an unexplainable medical condition that didn't happen until you got Covid but which is definitely NOT related to Covid because Covid is Over?

If so: Have you tried stimulants?

for a non tongue in cheek answer I'm not sure if I've seen any literature specifically regarding caffeine and covid

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Louisgod posted:

no, by the time I realized I was dealing with COVID (my oldest was sick on Monday, then youngest didn't feel well Wednesday evening, and I tested her Thursday afternoon), I had already assumed I got got and accepted my fate, though again, did jack up filters and open windows.

The variance on this thing is huge, so many factors. But fundamentally people seem to shed a wide range of virus depending on where most of the infection is, degree of infection, maybe even physiology. It's not just all behavioral, although of course someone going around sneezing into people's faces is worse.

Super spreaders infect everyone they walk into a room with, and on the other end of the spectrum you seem to be really lucking out here.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Pink Mist posted:

I only have my own experience but I only slightly reduced my caffeine intake for PASC. I tried reducing it greatly and the palpitations didn't change and I was so, so groggy. The alertness was so much more valuable. I can't go back to the amount I drank before because I can't get up to anything and I end up wasting the alertness on physically resting.

I had no heart based risk factors before covid, however.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pink Mist posted:

Are you an American? If not yes I would probably say that any stimulates is bad for your heart post Covid. Resting is the key to a proper recovery.

If you are American, no. Go to your closest Panera Bread and get their Lemonade, you got to be hustling and grinding at all time, no excuse to be resting. If you're slacking there's plenty of other folks who would be happy to have your job.

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 22:28 on Dec 27, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I re-watched The Santa Clause last week and the most realistic part of that film is when he goes to the doctor after developing Santa Symptoms (i.e. gaining tons of weight, hair going gray, facial hair sprouting everywhere), he's told to go on a diet and dye his hair then told to gently caress right off.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

man that is a shockingly, horrifyingly bad hazard ratio for <12 mo delay screening. so much poo poo doesn't even get screened at all until 12-36 months. lol that has the potential to maybe be worse than any other study result ive seen for the last four years. holy gently caress that's so bad if it replicates and persists into later childhood milestones haha that is an actual nightmare

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
People will just blame the vaccines for it

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

SixteenShells posted:

People will just blame the vaccines for it

two flavors that taste great together

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

Yes, well... it is going to have to compete for room.

ebola is stored in the balls

quote:

Professor Miles Carroll, an infectious disease expert at Oxford University’s Pandemic Sciences Institute, is conducting research into how the Ebola virus replicates in former patients and how long it can survive for.

[...]

One theory, held by Carroll and others, is that the sexual transmission of Ebola is linked to “extramarital affairs” or the establishment of new sexual relationships.

“I believe you only get these flare-ups when a male survivor harbouring the virus finds a completely naive partner,” says Carroll.

“His long-term partner will have a level of immunity – probably as a survivor or through background exposure. So she’s safe. But it’s a different story with a new, immunologically naive partner, who is vulnerable to developing serious disease upon sleeping with this man.”

Some have suggested that the 2021 Guinea outbreak was the product of an affair, though, perhaps unsurprisingly, there is no evidence to support this theory.

also nice thoery about ebola hating infidelity :raise:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Pink Mist posted:

if you're trying to chase off migraines or caffeine withdrawal you can try half-decaf for a bit, I started drinking half-decaf back in April when I got chronic tinnitus and have been drinking it since, and it's helped tremendously with cutting back on caffeine in general.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

thinking about this article from early in the pandemic

A century of COVID-19: what history tells us about the long-term effects of a pandemic

https://gero.usc.edu/2020/12/08/century-covid-pandemic-risk/

quote:

But beyond the high death toll, the full impact of the 1918–1919 pandemic wouldn’t be realized until more than 60 years later. In 2009, Finch and Crimmins published a study examining epidemiological data on individuals born in 1919, who were newborns or second- or third-trimester fetuses during the height of the pandemic. The data revealed that these individuals had approximately 25% more heart disease after age 60, as well as increased diabetes risk, compared to a similar cohort of individuals not born in 1919, including those who were older infants during the pandemic.

While the researchers didn’t have data on exactly which people were exposed to the flu either in utero or as infants in 1918–1919, the results were nevertheless strikingly different between the two age cohorts. In addition to higher levels of ischemic heart disease as well as diabetes in those who could have been exposed prenatally, U.S. census data indicated that the cohort of children born in early 1919 attained less education and had lower economic productivity over their lifetime, suggesting a higher level of developmental impairment or other long-term health issues in those with prenatal flu exposure at the height of the outbreak. Adult height (as recorded at World War II enlistment) was also slightly lower for the 1919 birth cohort than for those born in adjacent years, which suggests that overall growth was also negatively affected.

“The fact that this cohort of people had elevated risks of disease even more than six decades after the pandemic indicates that maternal exposure to the influenza virus appears to have had wide-ranging and long-lasting health effects on offspring,” Crimmins says. Subsequent studies have shed further light on the potential for inflammation to cause indelible damage, especially to the heart.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
lol we're not going to have a society in the 2080's, good loving luck

Baddog
May 12, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

someone is going to unironically say lockdowns had an epigenetic effect and im going to lose my loving mind

Lol, probably.

This study has a pretty low N (14 out of 69 in the unvax group had delays). We can only hope that it isn't anywhere near as big a problem as this suggests.... But a lot of people seem to be screaming about how lockdowns screwed kids up.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

U-DO Burger posted:

A century of COVID-19: what history tells us about the long-term effects of a pandemic

CDC, 2057: This is all because we were locked down for two months six months three years ten years forty years.

Baddog posted:

The variance on this thing is huge, so many factors. But fundamentally people seem to shed a wide range of virus depending on where most of the infection is, degree of infection, maybe even physiology. It's not just all behavioral, although of course someone going around sneezing into people's faces is worse.

Super spreaders infect everyone they walk into a room with, and on the other end of the spectrum you seem to be really lucking out here.

Given that RATs apparently need a huge viral load to get a positive (especially for regular people just gently swabbing the insides of their noses) I wonder if a RAT is more accurately a superspreader detector rather than a covid detector. It would be nice if covid wasn't over so we could have somebody investigate this.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

What's going to be interesting with COVID is that it's looking like it will never fade into a seasonal, lower rate illness the way the pandemic flu did, so rather than having a few years of hosed up outcomes it's just going to be like that forever now.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

What's going to be interesting with COVID is that it's looking like it will never fade into a seasonal, lower rate illness the way the pandemic flu did, so rather than having a few years of hosed up outcomes it's just going to be like that forever now.

Hey, it’s not all bad. in enough time we might adapt to covid. give us maybe 10,000 years to evolve

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Aunt with no history of cardiovascular problems, who literally could whip my rear end in any athletic competition (still does marathons/triathlons in their 60s), just had a series of heart attacks over the holidays culminating in surgery.

Of course they are VAXXED and RELAXXED and have caught covid multiple times and now admit they haven't felt fully right since 2020

Looking forward to the years to come! :buddy:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baddog posted:

There's also some pretty solid evidence (and a very strong underlying theoretical mechanism to support that evidence) that things like blood type can have a strong influence on rates of manifesting symptoms.

I'm not saying this is the dominant reason or anything, to be clear, just throwing it in the pile along with all the other significant variables that can make these outcomes totally random.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

My notes about that study (and I think it was briefly discussed then, for anyone interested):

Pingui posted:

:brainworms: 2 (small n, unvaccinated mothers)
"Developmental impairment in children exposed during pregnancy to maternal SARS-COV2: A Brazilian cohort study."

I should note that considering the cohort is low-income in Brazil, I have some concerns about causation. Getting financially gutted by illness when you are already that poor, cannot possibly be good for a developing fetus. That said, the abnormal cranial sonography seems to indicate otherwise. I would also note that (without checking the specifics of the measurements), fine motor control being hosed could be in line with the study above showing poor reaction time in a PCC cohort.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

depends on which doctors you ask!

Do you have fatigue due to an unexplainable medical condition that didn't happen until you got Covid but which is definitely NOT related to Covid because Covid is Over?

If so: Have you tried stimulants?

for a non tongue in cheek answer I'm not sure if I've seen any literature specifically regarding caffeine and covid

Pink Mist posted:

I'm pretty sure I have some sort of caffeine allergy post covid (like 9 months ago now). It causes chest and upper left arm pain, and I think even atrial fibrillation a few times. It seems to be getting less bad over time though

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
cdc says don’t give Covid to your pets

https://x.com/valeriejay16/status/1739887819487940664?s=46

family and friends though? that’s fine

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Uhh, this doesn't seem ideal to me

https://twitter.com/RolandBakerIII/status/1740133947059966055

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

current Michigan status. lookin good..

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Bold lines in the tables are new since the previous update.

Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.

pre:
Olympic Peninsula & Northwest Wash.
County		Shed ID	Ref.	Date	Trend	Service Area
Jefferson	PT	(1)	Dec-20	DOWN	Port Townsend
Mason		n/a	(1)	Dec-20	UP	Rustlewood, Shelton?
Skagit		ANA	(1)	Dec-19	DOWN	Anacortes
Skagit		MV	(1)	Dec-19	UP	Mount Vernon
Whatcom		LYN	(1)	Dec-19	STEADY	Lynden
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [1 of 2]
Island		COUP	(1)	Dec-18	DOWN	Coupeville
Island		OH	(1)	Dec-18	UP	Oak Harbor
Snohomish	ARL	(1)	Dec-19	UP	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	(1)	Dec-20	UP	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	(1)	Dec-20	UP	Stanwood
Snohomish	256	(1)	Dec-20	DOWN	Snohomish
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]

pre:
North Puget Sound [2 of 2]
King		BWT	(1)	Dec-20	UP	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	(1)	Dec-20	STEADY	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	(1)	Dec-19	UP	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
South Puget Sound & Southwest

pre:
South Puget Sound & Southwest
County		Shed ID		Ref.	Date	Trend	Service Area
Clark		MRPK		(1)	Dec-18	STEADY	Vancouver
Clark		SNCK		(1)	Dec-19	DOWN	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS / 2534	(1)/(2)	Dec-13	n/a	Vancouver Westside
Lewis		n/a		(1)	Dec-20	UP	Chehalis?
Pierce		CC		(1)	Dec-20	STEADY	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY		(1)	Dec-18	DOWN	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT		(1)	Dec-17	DOWN	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
North & South Central Wash.

pre:
North & South Central Wash.
Benton		WRCH	(1)	Dec-14	UP	West Richland
Chelan		WEN	(1)	Dec-14	UP	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	(1)	Dec-13	n/a	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	(1)	Dec-18	UP	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	(1)	Dec-18	DOWN	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	(1)	Dec-18	DOWN	Yakima
Northeast & Southeast Wash.

pre:
Northeast & Southeast Wash.
Franklin	PAS	(1)	Dec-20	UP	Pasco
Spokane		RP	(1)	Dec-20	UP	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	(1)	Dec-22	UP	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	(1)	Dec-18	DOWN	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	(1)	Dec-18	DOWN	Pullman
References with links to details on data limitations, sampling methods, and normalization protocols:

Solid lines are generated from normalized and smoothed data provided by the Washington State Department of Health (WADoH Ref. (1) ), Verily/WastewaterSCAN (WWS Ref. (3) ), and Biobot (Ref. (4) ).

White diamond dots are from most recent CDC/NWSS (Ref. (2) ) data scaled to supplement missing or out-dated data when available.

Because each of these four groups use different normalization methods, different smoothing methods, and different averaging/location identifiers, the concentration of virus is not comparable between locations. See reference links at the bottom of this post for more details.

There are 33 sewersheds distributed across 6 charts grouped by region then alphabetized by county and sewershed. The tables below contain WADoH or NWSS/WSS IDs (to match their respective dashboards), Date last sampled, and Trend (based on the change between the averages of the two most recent weeks).

All data presented are smoothed in some degree to even out inconsistent sampling dates and extreme highs and lows. Most sewersheds are sampled 1-3 times a week and are published within a week. Some locations are late reporting by 10 days or more so be sure to note your sewershed's Date in the table or graph. Locations that are more than two weeks old will have n/a listed under Trend to indicate there it is out of date.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Apologies if it's been posted already (I can't seem to find it), but this is a great article

https://twitter.com/jvipondmd/status/1739841797126566066

Edit: whoops, thanks

Why Am I So Tired has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Dec 28, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think this is the corrected link https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-27/long-covid-mecfs-health-damaging-relationships-crisis/103205564

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Not always in that order.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
so... just wondered... what else do epidemiologists study that is not the same thing that we in here study?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

maxwellhill posted:

so... just wondered... what else do epidemiologists study that is not the same thing that we in here study?

Interoffice dynamics and how to get ahead in academia.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Apologies if it's been posted already (I can't seem to find it), but this is a great article

https://twitter.com/jvipondmd/status/1739841797126566066

Edit: whoops, thanks

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-27/long-covid-mecfs-health-damaging-relationships-crisis/103205564 posted:

A healthcare worker in Melbourne, Jackie used up all her long service leave to stay home from work and care for her primary school-age son, which she describes as a "full-time job". But she and her husband still had to borrow money to pay for the many medical appointments and treatments, which she says was a source of tension.

The biggest stress, though, was her husband's refusal to believe their child was actually sick — he was clearly unwell, she says, and struggling particularly with PEM. But often patients' blood tests come back normal and, unless they investigate further, some doctors may be inclined to dismiss symptoms as depression or anxiety or something to tackle with exercise.

"Without a diagnostic test for long COVID I don't think he will ever really accept that [our son] had it," Jackie says. "I just kept thinking, 'If we just had a blood test that says yes, this is long COVID', then he would have fully believed and got behind me."

Instead, Jackie thinks his disbelief was seeded while they were in hospital, where they'd taken their son when he was struggling with confusion and disorientation during his acute COVID infection. There, she sought support from a social worker, thinking they could use all the help they could get. But it seemed to backfire when hospital staff later called her husband to tell him they thought Jackie was "mentally ill" — the inference was she had Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. All she wanted was for her son to get better.

We have the tools (gaslighting).

e:

quote:

The number of people with long COVID who contact Emerge Australia's telehealth service has been steadily increasing since the pandemic began, she says – now they make up 30 per cent of all callers.

DickParasite has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Dec 28, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DickParasite posted:

We have the tools (gaslighting).

e:

The number of people with long COVID who contact Emerge Australia's telehealth service has been steadily increasing since the pandemic began, she says – now they make up 30 per cent of all callers.

that's just because all the same malingering parasites are pretending they have long covid now i bet

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr Hootington posted:

That isn't very many

It's a realistic estimate. It's half of the per week worldwide amount during the holiday season. I'm accounting for vaccinations and the such. Still 20k to 50k in two weeks is a lot of deaths. That's about the entire flu season in just two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I re-watched The Santa Clause last week and the most realistic part of that film is when he goes to the doctor after developing Santa Symptoms (i.e. gaining tons of weight, hair going gray, facial hair sprouting everywhere), he's told to go on a diet and dye his hair then told to gently caress right off.

Then, afterwards, being told to pay $100 dollars for the service AFTER the insurance that you've been paying about $80-$100 a weeks to kicks in to "reduce" the bill.