Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

it all falls on Nagy and whoever is the WR's coach. They don't look prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Perhaps the Chiefs should stop getting high off their own farts

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Part of me wonders how much of it is Mahomes being too positive in the off-season with the WR room talent. I can see him standing up for the guys saying “we have who we need” over and over because that’s been the mantra during the off-season and this season. Turns out, no you don’t.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
They should probably stop signing meme players

https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/1739395542147637305?t=UessgfC1SzNPhNV-m_NHuA&s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pron on VHS posted:

MVS played 60 snaps and didn’t have a catch. Taking over Skyy Moores role.

Can you believe the Chiefs starting 3 WRs to begin the season were MVS/Skyy/Toney. All 3 are unplayable right now, they shouldn’t be on any NFL roster. What the hell happened?? What a huge miss from a coaching and evaluation standpoint

I have to keep reminding myself that this is not a bad team. It's just good in a way that we are not used to since Mahomes got here. And not good enough probably for a SB run to be sure, but they're still okish.

The defense plays their rear end off, they should have won that game. The offense is not actually all that bad but repeatedly shoots themselves in the foot and Mahomes is trying to hard to make things happen and loving it up, partially when receivers aren't where they should be and partially just trying to hero ball. Which is not a good combination. WR's aside I'm not a fan of the OL this year even aside from Taylor which is a completely disastrous signing and he's going to be around for a while. But the interior guys aren't as good as they were either.

I'd like to see Nagy gone after the season is over and hopefully he never coaches again until he gets his head right. That stupid trick play on your own 12 yard line was not necessary. Everything is short to the flats from a gameplan perspective unless Mahomes dodges a sack and finds someone intermediate. It's just frustrating.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
So how much of an effect did Bienemy actually have on the offense??

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Flikken posted:

So how much of an effect did Bienemy actually have on the offense??

Didn't he not call plays in KC?

Because Washington's offense is middling

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Calidus posted:

The chiefs winning the Super Bowl, Kelce retires and the front office puts an even more anemic WR room together would be a really funny timeline.

Think about how funny that would be if they didn't even win a playoff game.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
You got so many little things it’s hard to figure out cause and effect:

- Naggy vs Bienemy
- Kelce not playing like a good TE and not someone in GOAT conversation
- A WR that doesn’t have a clear WR1, JuJu can’t get on field for pats which makes this even weirder
- Two new tackles who don’t seem significantly better than last year?
- A front office that looked like geniuses for trading Hill and winning a superbowl

Can Chiefs get Mahomes on one of those Ohtani contracts with a bunch of deferred money that will get swapped for ownership in a decade?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Simplex posted:

Think about how funny that would be if they didn't even win a playoff game.

Let the bills get their revenge game this year, is perfectly fine with me.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Calidus posted:

Can Chiefs get Mahomes on one of those Ohtani contracts with a bunch of deferred money that will get swapped for ownership in a decade?

I get this is a joke but they specifically cannot due to NFL rules or they probably would. He owns part of the Royals and both local soccer teams, he'd be interested in that.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Calidus posted:

Let's not go too far. He's had 924 yards in the season so far and will finish top 2 in TE yardage on the season. He's just not hitting the GOAT heights of a couple of years back as he's slower and getting triple covered through the game, because when he isn't he's still finding soft spots to get receptions.

Calidus posted:

No. But the Chiefs can restructure up to $34 million off next years cap hit of $57 million if they wanted to.

With another $12 million saved by kicking MVS out the door, there's plenty of room to upgrade if they find the right trade/FA. Veach's stinginess and relative draft success over the last couple of years gives the Chiefs a surprising amount of wriggle room.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They have 48M in cap space next year with only cutting MVS.

96M the following year. They’ll make some moves. Jawaan Taylor can’t be until 2025.

Cutting Toney gets you nothing. Skyy gets you 800k. Watson gets you 2M. I’d probably only keep Watson.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Just remembered that photo of Russ and Ciara where she looks like a statue from an art museum and he looks like he's drunk and just shat his pants.

Bring the Chargers back to San Diego.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Pron on VHS posted:

MVS played 60 snaps and didn’t have a catch. Taking over Skyy Moores role.

Can you believe the Chiefs starting 3 WRs to begin the season were MVS/Skyy/Toney. All 3 are unplayable right now, they shouldn’t be on any NFL roster. What the hell happened?? What a huge miss from a coaching and evaluation standpoint

https://x.com/geoffschwartz/status/1739988705136242837?s=20

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Dam Broncos might actually cut Russ and take the cap hit in 24 and 25. $35 million and $45 million in dead cap is brutal.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Calidus posted:

Dam Broncos might actually cut Russ and take the cap hit in 24 and 25. $35 million and $45 million in dead cap is brutal.

It's okay, clearly we will draft a miraculous rookie who will be superior to Russ in every way. Clearly.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Calidus posted:

You got so many little things it’s hard to figure out cause and effect:

- Naggy vs Bienemy
- A WR that doesn’t have a clear WR1, JuJu can’t get on field for pats which makes this even weirder
- Two new tackles who don’t seem significantly better than last year?
- A front office that looked like geniuses for trading Hill and winning a superbowl

They are mostly tired and uninterested. The unit as a whole just doesn't give any sort of fucks right now.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

LiquidFriend posted:

They are mostly tired and uninterested. The unit as a whole just doesn't give any sort of fucks right now.

Sounds like whoever is coaching them isn't doing his job

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:lol:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1740055253515706587

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Some fuckin' Walmart grade management of a football team.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Fat Jesus posted:

Sounds like whoever is coaching them isn't doing his job

Yeah. Andy should probably start jumping their asses and come up with some better gameplans.

Having MVS with over 80% of the snaps when Patrick doesn't even look at him makes no sense.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Some fuckin' Walmart grade management of a football team.

Seemingly cheap but will pay off in the long run?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Russ gets sacked way too much, but the Broncos could easily win out against the Chargers and Raiders even with Maxx Crosby feasting, and give themselves a good chance at the playoff plinko board that lies before them.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Name Change posted:

Russ gets sacked way too much, but the Broncos could easily win out against the Chargers and Raiders even with Maxx Crosby feasting, and give themselves a good chance at the playoff plinko board that lies before them.

They have a 5% chance.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

They have a 5% chance.

Stuff they need to happen this week to stay alive for wild card for next week:

They win against Chargers
Pats beat Bills
Seahawks beat Steelers
Chiefs beat Bengals
Titans beat Texans
Panthers beat Jaguars
Raiders beat Colts

The least-likely parts are the Pats and the Panthers, but even the Panthers have help now that Trevor Bust is out. But yeah, they are not only still alive for a wild card spot, they're still alive for the division (yeah it is weird but the Chiefs mathematically help them out via a win or loss https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/lists/can-the-denver-broncos-still-make-nfl-playoffs-week-17/)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If the Chiefs lose out (possible) and the Broncos win out then they take the division.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Courtland Sutton is in concussion protocol, and it's looking unlikely he plays. A Russ-led offense ain't scoring any points, so even beating the Chargers would be a tall order.

You know, I don't care about the Broncos trying to strong arm Russ into making a dumb decision. I don't care that he wisely said gently caress that. It just seems dumb and counterproductive for Sean Payton to lie about the situation. Like hey, if you tell the truth everybody is going to think you're an rear end in a top hat. But if you lie, the truth is going to come out and everybody is going to think you're a liar and an rear end in a top hat.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Simplex posted:

even beating the Chargers would be a tall order.

They already did it once this month with Russ. Wasn't even close either

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This is beyond lame. They’re basically confessing that they’re not going to try for the next two seasons

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Kull the Conqueror posted:

This is beyond lame. They’re basically confessing that they’re not going to try for the next two seasons

I think they're gonna draft a QB and hope to god it's a hit, if not, punt punt punt

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Russ is somewhere between average and bad and trending downward athletically, and keeping him means it’s real awkward to try anyone else at the position. Also the contract is weird and while cutting him now is rough cap-wise it’s worse if they keep him from what I understand?

He also doesn’t throw to the middle of the field and Payton needs his slant guy

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Trying to get rid of Russ ASAP seems like the opposite of “not trying.”

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I think they're gonna draft a QB and hope to god it's a hit, if not, punt punt punt

They've done too good to have a great shot at the draft even if they don't make playoffs or win their division (which to be clear, they can still do both), they don't have the assets to trade up with another QB-needy team, and the '25 draft looks worse for prospects than this one does

Like genuinely moving on from Russ would have been a great idea to do...5 or 6 months ago

That's what's killing me. If this was the plan last year, when he was clearly sucking, when the deal still looked bad and everyone was making fun of it, when they had half as many wins, great. No argument. Get rid of him, bench him and tank. If you're punting on the year, you have a great and obvious chance to do so at the start of this season that nobody would bat an eye at

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chris James 2 posted:

They've done too good to have a great shot at the draft even if they don't make playoffs or win their division (which to be clear, they can still do both), they don't have the assets to trade up with another QB-needy team, and the '25 draft looks worse for prospects than this one does

Like genuinely moving on from Russ would have been a great idea to do...5 or 6 months ago

That's what's killing me. If this was the plan last year, when he was clearly sucking, when the deal still looked bad and everyone was making fun of it, when they had half as many wins, great. No argument. Get rid of him, bench him and tank. If you're punting on the year, you have a great and obvious chance to do so at the start of this season that nobody would bat an eye at

They just lost to the Pats. They suck. The defense isn’t living off of unsustainable turnover luck and they’re back to giving up too many points for the offense to overcome. Russ is still extremely limited and takes way too many sacks. If they somehow managed to luck into the playoffs they aren’t going to go on a run with him.

If they’ve decided to cut bait there’s no point in continuing to play him. If they thought he was a good player they wouldn’t be trying to get rid of him. Why keep playing the guy you don’t want and don’t think is good?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
We're going to be in journeyman QB hell forever

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

He's tied for 6th in TD passes and only has 8 picks though. He might not be exactly what Payton wants in a QB but if that's how he feels then it should've been dealt with in the off-season. They have too many wins for a blue chip QB prospect and not enough draft capital or players outside of probably just PS2 to make a move for one.

As a fan, if my team is still mathematically in the playoff hunt with 2 games to go then they need to try. Anything can happen in single game elimination so giving up now is some weak rear end bullshit and whoever actually made that call should be fired for making it. I should be happy about it because it actually gives my team a better playoff shot playing a Broncos team with a worse QB but it just really bothers me.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

They already did it once this month with Russ. Wasn't even close either

I think you are underestimating how much the Bronco's offense revolves around Russ just hucking it deep to Sutton and hoping he makes a circus catch. Like that Week 14 game was 10-0, with the Broncos lone touchdown coming on a 3-yard drive, until late in the 3rd when Sutton made that ridiculous one handed grab for a TD.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Simplex posted:

I think you are underestimating how much the Bronco's offense revolves around Russ just hucking it deep to Sutton and hoping he makes a circus catch. Like that Week 14 game was 10-0, with the Broncos lone touchdown coming on a 3-yard drive, until late in the 3rd when Sutton made that ridiculous one handed grab for a TD.

Yes, Russell Wilson does indeed do Russell Wilson Bullshit, it's his defining trait as a QB and always has been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Simplex posted:

But if you lie, the truth is going to come out and everybody is going to think you're a liar and an rear end in a top hat.

To some extent if you were paying attention I think this has already happened to Sean Payton.

And he made it through for better or worse, so might as well run it back pretending that Jarrett Stidham gives him a chance to win games.