Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

'which game has a plumber in it'.
Frisky Tom

e: Which had a handheld version released in 1982

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

stev posted:

Yeah I was wondering that - would they accept either? What about Metal Gear Ac!d?

the theme of the bonuses was "games released in 1998"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

stev posted:

Yeah I was wondering that - would they accept either? What about Metal Gear Ac!d?

That's what I mean, the standards are insanely low. They usually go as far as questions like 'which game has a plumber in it'. Maybe you'll get a proper question on Only Connect once in a blue moon.

I remember Only Connect once had four Sonic characters in that round where you pick the four related things and I don't even think Sonic was one of them, so that's a start I guess.

But at this point videogames are so absurdly popular and part of the cultural zeitgeist that we should just sneer at them for being so uncultured.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

What is the name of the game set in Black Mesa featuring Gordon Freeman

Black Mesa :v:

If anyone hasn't played Black Mesa by the way I highly recommend it, it's probably my favourite half life game at this point (I have not played Alyx because I'm not buying a VR headset)

Really good update of the source material and also a really nice change to the HL2-style combat, the guns are a bit more accurate so you really get rewarded for being able to run and gun accurately.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 28, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

the theme of the bonuses was "games released in 1998"

stev posted:

which game has a plumb
Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome
Railroad Tycoon II
Brian Lara Cricket

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Black Mesa :v:

If anyone hasn't played Black Mesa by the way I highly recommend it, it's probably my favourite half life game at this point (I have not played Alyx because I'm not buying a VR headset)

Really good update of the source material and also a really nice change to the HL2-style combat, the guns are a bit more accurate so you really get rewarded for being able to run and gun accurately.

Agreed. It’s great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'd still recommend watching a playthrough of Alyx, it's a lot of fun, ties into Half Life 2 and has some really fun set pieces of its own. Jeff was one of my all-time favourite parts of any game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think there are some mods that remove the VR and make the game play like any other HL now.

I never finished it because a) I borrowed a VR headset and had to give it back, b) the spooky sections are way too spooky in VR and c) the concessions they made to make combat work in VR were odd, like you rarely fight more than two or three enemies at once.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I remember Only Connect once had four Sonic characters in that round where you pick the four related things and I don't even think Sonic was one of them, so that's a start I guess.

But at this point videogames are so absurdly popular and part of the cultural zeitgeist that we should just sneer at them for being so uncultured.

Someone on Only Connect is a Sonic fan for sure then, this is from last week's

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Scrap Brain Zone is the new Liz Truss think tank.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'd still recommend watching a playthrough of Alyx, it's a lot of fun, ties into Half Life 2 and has some really fun set pieces of its own. Jeff was one of my all-time favourite parts of any game.

It does look very good from what I've seen, just not hundreds of pounds good.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is great if anyone needs some post Xmas chill gaming of scuba diving and running a sushi restaurant

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i only really liked civs and city builders and the like

played MSG in the late 1990s because of all the hype and thought it was corny AF even back then and waaay too short to justify what it cost :corsair:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

i only really liked civs and city builders and the like

played MSG in the late 1990s because of all the hype and thought it was corny AF even back then and waaay too short to justify what it cost :corsair:

Would you say it left you hungry for more soon after finishing?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Of course it's corny, that's what makes it good

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sebzilla posted:

Would you say it left you hungry for more soon after finishing?

A weapon to surpass Monosodium glutamate...

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This bollocks first came up a couple of years ago. Who exactly in Europe, and Champagne in particular, is going to be making special pint size bottles for the English Gammon market?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i would not have known those answers

or any of the like science and opera bullshit they probably also asked

i still rule

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Precision. Precisely one wine maker will make a pint bottle. It will be some Pisswater fizzy wine from Sussex that tastes like mouldy elderberries mixed with lemonade. And it will be called “Farage Fizz” or “Britpane”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

smellmycheese posted:

This bollocks first came up a couple of years ago. Who exactly in Europe, and Champagne in particular, is going to be making special pint size bottles for the English Gammon market?

oh this is much worse for pisscans like me.

basically the price of wine will stay the same but the volume will go from 750 to 568

fortunately i buy my wine by the box

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Who exactly in Europe, and Champagne in particular, is going to be making special pint size bottles for the English Gammon market?
Whoever pays them. They already do a bunch of sizes that are like "this is a Noncezilla and it's 12.126 bottles and this is very important for reasons" bullshit so they can add one more.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I honestly can’t see Moet or the Widow Cliquot retooling their production lines to accommodate a handful of angry ham men who order champagne at best once a year

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

smellmycheese posted:

Some ridiculously easy videogame questions on University Challenge just now and they didn’t have a clue

Its the celebrity version, so its a level easier. On the proper series of University challenge they've had a bonus round where the answers were Roguelikes, Metroidvanias and Dark Souls (Actually mentioning Miyazaki by name). Also, a timeloop game round featuring Majora Mask and Outer Wilds as answers.

Think the most obscure game I've seen mentioned was Heavens Vault, thats a pretty deep cut.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 28, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Fatty posted:

Dark Souls (Actually mentioning Miyazaki by name)

With a bonus round about the manga, Berserk.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fatty posted:

Its the celebrity version, so its a level easier. On the proper series of University challenge they've had a bonus round where the answers were Roguelikes, Metroidvanias and Dark Souls (Actually mentioning Miyazaki by name). Also, a timeloop game round featuring Majora Mask and Outer Wilds as answers.

Think the most obscure game I've seen mentioned was Heavens Vault, thats a pretty deep cut.

I mean I grant you that's better for sure, but really, if they're going to ask 'university' level questions for other topics then they should do so for vidya qs as well

"What is the name of the game currently in Early Access being made by the team who originally created the Long War mod for the Firaxis remake of XCOM?" Terra Invicta

"From which President and CEO of Atari Incorporated was the word Yar, of the game Yar's Revenge, derived?" Ray Kassar

"Which character serves as your castle's librarian in Suikoden II?" Emilia

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean I grant you that's better for sure, but really, if they're going to ask 'university' level questions for other topics then they should do so for vidya qs as well

The point of University Challenge isn’t to ask “degree level” questions about subjects, it’s to show that students aren’t all lazy and feckless, only getting out of bed to do the bare minimum to pass their avocado studies course. The idea is that it asks questions that a well-rounded individual would have a reasonable chance of knowing through being a curious person who wants to know about things.

Even my wife would get the Gordon Freeman question, and she’s never played a video game in her life.

Edit: Nope, she guessed Portal

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 28, 2023

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Scientastic posted:

The point of University Challenge isn’t to ask “degree level” questions about subjects, it’s to show that students aren’t all lazy and feckless, only getting out of bed to do the bare minimum to pass their avocado studies course. The idea is that it asks questions that a well-rounded individual would have a reasonable chance of knowing through being a curious person who wants to know about things.

Even my wife would get the Gordon Freeman question, and she’s never played a video game in her life.

Edit: Nope, she guessed Portal

lol, everyone knows portal is the one with shodan

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Soricidus posted:

lol, everyone knows portal is the one with shodan

TBF, that's less of a wrong answer than most games would be.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

The Question IRL posted:

I can't remember if it was Nanette or another one of Gadsby's shows which included a part about marriage equality in their native Tasmania. But it included this part about how it shouldn't be a public debate which relies on a public vote to legislate for Marriage Equality, since that just puts LGTBQ people in the focus and increases the likelihood that they end up as a target.

Which while true sort of leaves out the second part which is "...instead politicians should just make the choice on their own, eat the popular backlash for making a huge chance without consultation with the public and then the issue will go away and no one will re-visit it. And also no future Conservative Government is allowed undo what they has been granted through political powers alone."

And I think that is the part that had me stuck as I don't feel that is realistic.

australia had a plebiscite on marriage equality solely as a compromise to resolve the ruling liberal (read: conservative if you are unfamiliar with aus politics) party's internal split on the issue, and this was very unpopular with australian lgbt people because we experienced an uptick in very public bigotry and hostility all in the name of 'debate' for a few months, just becoming collateral damage from the libs' internal problems. there was already a parliamentary majority in favour of it (between the socially liberal wing of the liberals, including the pm at the time, and most of labor) and polls had been showing significant public support for many years at that point, so it wasn't even like it was unpopular. there wasn't a constitutional change or anything, a future government could still easily undo it if they wanted. the plebiscite has indeed made it so any push to repeal marriage equality is off the table for the time being but i don't really expect that to last forever given the general rightward drift of the liberal party.

do you think say, section 28 should have been repealed by any sort of public vote? repealing it was unquestionably the the right thing to do (despite labour taking forever to do so), and yet it very likely would have lost a public vote at the time it was repealed. putting minority rights up to a public vote is not a good experience for the minorities in question, even if they win, and much much worse if they lose.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Amusingly I’ve just discovered that the Ricky Gervais subreddit almost entirely hates the unfunny twat

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's great we need more subreddits just for the haters

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
James Acasters bit about Gervais really wound him up.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Why are you all letting Gervais live in your head rent free?
I know you all hate landlords but cmon.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 28, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's possible to post about Gervais for 3 seconds and then never think about him the rest of the year. I just did it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Yeah, make some room for James Corden.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My dad also watched that Ricky Gervais dreck, but turned it off after a bit. He's picked up the idea from the cavalcade of twats that cross his Twitter feed that he should be sticking it to the wokes, but he really isn't that committed to it.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

My dad and I had a big argument about trans rights and now he's watching the Abigail Thorn video I sent him. I'm trying to counteract the poo poo he gets fed daily by his Facebook and Youtube algorithms. He backed down about an argument over the Tavistock Clinic when I showed him he'd been lied to about why it closed down.

He told me he liked Douglas Murray because he was good at putting forward an argument. I told him it didn't matter, if the premises are wrong then the argument is invalid, and Douglas Murray's premises are wrong. He disagreed, apparently it doesn't matter if the premises are wrong :ughh:

With a lot of things over the many years I've argued with my dad, I think he is (and a lot of others like him are) a good person submerged under a torrent of right wing poo poo from social media, and a life spent voting Tory because he decided that's what would make him the most money, to provide for us. If you internalise the first thing you hear about a topic (usually a lie) and get frustrated when you get into an argument about it, it is inevitably very difficult to come to the truth when you're dug into that position.

I did have to tell him to stop sending me links about the IDF killing people in Gaza, he is completely on the side of the Palestinians and we don't argue about it much but the constant barrage of "look what new poo poo thing happened!" was getting me down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, make some room for James Corden.

This kind of undermines my argument because I do find myself getting randomly pissed off about the existence of James Corden lol