Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

The Empire Strikes Back on Apple TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkPBPdcqahM

Kurt Warner remains critical of the Ravens offense

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
He's been riding that horse all year. Kurt doesn't like mobile quarterbacks. He likes playing on schedule with predictable timing throws. That's why every time the Ravens win convincingly, he comes out with a ton of backhanded compliments about Lamar and criticism of the offense. The offense is designed for access to the scramble drill on passing downs. Lamar doesn't have to throw his best available read on a bad-looking play when he can buy time or run. Ravens are 12-3, and should probably be 14-1. This offense works. It's consistent. Kurt Warner releasing a pissy little video amounting to "That's not how things are properly done" every time the Ravens win a big game is tired and sad.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'd like Lamar to play more on schedule. I think this is a big reason Bateman has kind of languished in this offense - he's a timing guy who can get major separation on curls and comebackers but they need to be the QB's first read and out really early. It's just not a route Lamar ever leaned into, but he should.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The reason Bateman languishes is because he half asses everything. Whenever the ball doesn't come to him after his first move, he slows his route, doesn't come back to the ball, and gets out efforted on contested catches (with one notable exception.) Additionally, Bateman needs to not drop at least one easy catch a game. Hard to be the go to first read when you're unreliable.

Unreliable is just the word for Bateman. All the talent in the world, but absolutely no consistency. Hard to earn your QB's trust that way.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The niners play good defense and hold a lot making timing routes pretty much worthless

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Watch at this time stamp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkPBPdcqahM&t=316s

Criticism of back to back successful plays for not making choices that would have been failures. 1st play draws a 30 yard PI, when the throw Warner recommends is a pass short of the line to gain on 3rd down. 2nd play is a holding penalty on a one-on-one deep shot that would have been an incompletion on the throw Warner recommends because the corner is in the perfect position to break on the ball.

The man has lost it.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

No wonder he worked in a supermarket

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I did think it was odd that he used a play where we gained a bunch of yards on PI. I guess he has his ideas about how things are supposed to be done and can't see it any other way. I think lots of coaches are probably the same way.

And yeah I don't think I've ever seen Bateman make a contested catch. The guy is the anti-Boldin. Fast and gets tons of separation but has no ball adjustment skills. He's on the exact wrong team for what he does even if you discount the drops. Anquan Boldin would be nuts on this team. Imagine Boldin blocking on screens to Keaton Mitchell(rip)

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 28, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Watch at this time stamp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkPBPdcqahM&t=316s

Criticism of back to back successful plays for not making choices that would have been failures. 1st play draws a 30 yard PI, when the throw Warner recommends is a pass short of the line to gain on 3rd down. 2nd play is a holding penalty on a one-on-one deep shot that would have been an incompletion on the throw Warner recommends because the corner is in the perfect position to break on the ball.

The man has lost it.

i dont think TS works when the embeded vid is blocked by youtube, but also quoting the post i saw this was at 316s (5:16) so i will watch the timestamp now

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

QB School on Lamar went up an hour ago too

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i think the one thing i agree with warner on is that their screen design needs to make more sense

I don't know what the concept is here. I think the idea is that they want the two receivers running go and post routes to clear out the defenders, so the bubble guy gets into a one on one, at worst, with a defender that'd be about 8~ yards upfield by the time he caught the ball. but there's no misdirection, there's no watching the DBs and forcing them into a 50/50 call. the 49ers read it the whole way and and abandon the WRs immediately and the play has no chance from the start.

but his thesis as a whole is whatever. like a third of the plays he mentions aren't examples of 'off-schedule plays'. the above one is (i guess) on schedule. if you're going to tell me that the ravens need to be 'on-schedule' with their offense more (a thesis i dont mind agreeing with) and you pick 14 plays to back up your argument, maybe have all 14 plays be 14 actual examples of what you're talking about. like a third of these are 'on-schedule' anyway.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1740180554069553368?t=ZtHtnRzZSvNCI61xvwLW_g&s=19

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Borsche69 posted:

i think the one thing i agree with warner on is that their screen design needs to make more sense

I don't know what the concept is here. I think the idea is that they want the two receivers running go and post routes to clear out the defenders, so the bubble guy gets into a one on one, at worst, with a defender that'd be about 8~ yards upfield by the time he caught the ball. but there's no misdirection, there's no watching the DBs and forcing them into a 50/50 call. the 49ers read it the whole way and and abandon the WRs immediately and the play has no chance from the start.

but his thesis as a whole is whatever. like a third of the plays he mentions aren't examples of 'off-schedule plays'. the above one is (i guess) on schedule. if you're going to tell me that the ravens need to be 'on-schedule' with their offense more (a thesis i dont ind agreeing with) and you pick 14 plays to back up your argument, maybe have all 14 plays be 14 actual examples of what you're talking about. like a third of these are 'on-schedule' anyway.

That screen looked like an execution error to me. I think not everyone was thinking the same thing, most likely the screen was a distraction but Lamar thought it was where the ball should go, or the screen was the right call and the WRs hosed up by not engaging their blocks, or Lamar hosed up by not giving the screen enough time to develop before the throw. Too much weirdness to be the correctly executed play.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

that play was hosed up and I think it was a miscommunication, because it made no sense and several of us commented on it in the GDT

the timestamp play... I think he has Bateman up top if he throws it early. it's more of a process critique in that it's easier to live in a world where you can count on these plays to move the chains more than drawing PI or scrambling around and making something happen. Those plays are great when you need them but having a more traditional "back foot plant, get the ball out" offense would make them more consistent, and make the scramble/hero plays even more devastating. maybe it's something for year two of Monken

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Whether an execution error or bad concept we should stop with the screens because they NEVER loving WORK. And drive me nuts to see.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i sawl it work good the other day

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kawalimus posted:

Whether an execution error or bad concept we should stop with the screens because they NEVER loving WORK. And drive me nuts to see.

https://youtu.be/URIuK7iPQ8c?si=Sb67aXbY8TrrdoM1

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I become filled with rage every time I see a pass to the sideline on the LOS and it immediately gets blown up for a loss or no gain. Feels like a low percentage play that hardly ever works.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Keaton Mitchell made everything work because he was secretly the best RB in the league

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

why you have to hurt us?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

I miss him so much.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Despera posted:

why you have to hurt us?

I was just engaging with kawalimus. He's complaining about screens never working and this play was just burned into my brain from that game.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the league average is on WR screens. Especially curious what it is compared to the average on running the ball.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

QB School on Lamar went up an hour ago too

whenever JT starts a sentence "for me," I know he's about to hammer Lamar on something and it's usually footwork.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

I wonder what the league average is on WR screens. Especially curious what it is compared to the average on running the ball.

There was a big thing done on them like last year but I dont have the link. They are one of the worst plays in the entire NFL and teams should never use them. Standing out as the worst result of all? The Ravens. By miles.

And yes Keaton Mitchell gave our screens hope. :(

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Possibly my favorite play from the game (timestamped) - 49ers bring SEVEN and the Ravens have an immediate answer. They've come a long way since that Miami game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR1Ks5Uqyv4&t=1732s

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/1740587260595065081

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
https://twitter.com/MikMcDaniel/status/1740590297816699173?t=zpGPLMDmS8MAlsbK2iokeA&s=19

That poo poo is crazy.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
https://twitter.com/FantasyPros/status/1740569185561051268

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

saying for the fifth and final time. the browns have a top 3 roster

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That Jerome Ford td was badass as gently caress, and Al Michaels' call is like he's ordering breakfast.

If you can't get pumped for that retire you old bitch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/1740587260595065081?s=46&t=oxgluhoBNe3uhjLS3FjtcA

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Harbaugh gave the team a Godzilla Pinball machine for Christmas. Flaccomania is alive and well in Baltimore.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That Jerome Ford td was badass as gently caress, and Al Michaels' call is like he's ordering breakfast.

If you can't get pumped for that retire you old bitch.

I'm so happy I watched the game at bar where you could barely hear the TV. Al Michaels brings negative hype to the call apparently.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Harbaugh gave the team a Godzilla Pinball machine for Christmas. Flaccomania is alive and well in Baltimore.

Hell yeah

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

For the love of god can this division just cool it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/DPRees8/status/1740941873500320188

Maximize your championship window now, or maintain future financial flexibility? I can see both sides.

Another thing that Ken McKusick has put out there is possibly tagging Madubuike and try trading him for a first rounder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That math has way way too many assumptions. Probably conservative on next year's cap, Stone for 2 years 6 mil seems like it will absolutely not happen, giving OBJ another 10 million would be dumb as hell, etc. My hope at this point is tag Madibuke to get that good deal with the late contract cap hits and cross our fingers that Clowney wants hometown deal with how well this situation works for him. Queen and Geno Smith goodbye.