Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azran posted:

I've been on a kick of lighthearted romantic SoL/comedies lately - Horimiya, Ookami no Otoko, Our Wonderful Days, Insomniacs After School, Futari Ashita mo Sorenari Ni, Nagatoro, etc. Any stuff you'd recommend?

Will do!

Gamers.

No, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gamers.

No, seriously.

Seconding that as Gamers is an amazing choice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk what people are talking about with shikimori because the net reception i saw to it was pretty positive. multiple scenes from it were memes even.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

idk what people are talking about with shikimori because the net reception i saw to it was pretty positive. multiple scenes from it were memes even.

Yeah, the only complaints I saw widespread was that a bunch of people thought it was boring, which, fair.

I'm not saying the other complaints didn't happen, but they were probably from random internet troll nobodys.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Julias posted:

Yeah, the only complaints I saw widespread was that a bunch of people thought it was boring, which, fair.

I'm not saying the other complaints didn't happen, but they were probably from random internet troll nobodys.

It depended a LOT on where you were. A LOT of anime based reddits and posters went REALLY hard on it ranging from soulless, fake, and hollow to being worse than Rent a Girlfriend with the MC Izumi taking a LOT of the heat. A lot was due to apparently anitubers hyping it as, "The next MDuD" simply because they heard it was popular, so when the series turned out to not be anything like MDuD, it got a ton of negative backlash for being overrated and overhyped.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ah, reddit and anime youtubers, i see the problem

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's a 6.9 on MAL, that doesn't seem meaningfully hurt for whatever segment of haters it got.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nice

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gamers.

No, seriously.

Should I watch the anime or just go with the manga? From what I can tell it was originally an LN

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Have any interesting sword & sorcery-style fantasy anime come out in the last couple of years without an isekai/video game plot attached? Only thing I've watched in years is Ranking of Kings which I enjoyed.

I'll also take manga recommendations on the same though I've read more there. Loved Dungeon Meshi, Faraway Paladin, and Helck.

I want neat magic without omnipotent skill windows popping up every 5 panels.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Frieren is still airing but would probably be the best match for what you're asking for, otherwise there hasn't been much lately besides that and the Helck anime

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gay devil posted:

Have any interesting sword & sorcery-style fantasy anime come out in the last couple of years without an isekai/video game plot attached? Only thing I've watched in years is Ranking of Kings which I enjoyed.

I'll also take manga recommendations on the same though I've read more there. Loved Dungeon Meshi, Faraway Paladin, and Helck.

Check out Volumdio: Surreal Sword Saga which takes place in the Helck universe(unknown if prequel or sequel), The Unwanted Undead Adventurer, Asebi and the Adventures in the Sky World(not sword and sorcery, but a really good), Bard Roen Knight of the Frontier, will post more as they stop slipping my mind.

Trailer for Undead Adventurer which starts later this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYgDqydDoI

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 20, 2023

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks, I'll check all of those out!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

Should I watch the anime or just go with the manga? From what I can tell it was originally an LN

Haven’t read either so can’t speak to their quality but the anime is very good.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

gay devil posted:

Mashle

e: Joking aside maybe Bastard?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

gay devil posted:

Bard Loen

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Was reading Helck again and it occurred to me that I hadn't recommended Slayers yet especially the movies and OVA's which are awesome.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can I post here as a "help me identify this anime I saw on TV years ago" thread? I need help finding a film. Here's everything I know about it:
  • It's sci-fi.
  • It's about an old man named (I think) Takizawa, who is on life support.
  • His life support machinery is a robot that contains the soul/consciousness of his old dead wife.
  • The machinery is like a free moving robot with wheels and arms and stuff and it can move around and talk to people.
  • The old man is suspended in therapeutic goo inside of the machinery.
  • There's a scene where the wife machine thing escapes danger by using its arms to shimmy underneath a monorail or something?
  • A dubbed localisation (probably) aired on Space Network (Canadian SYFY equivalent) in the late 90s, early 2000s.
That's all the details I can recall. Please let me know if you know anything about this. It's been driving me nuts for years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's Roujin Z

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Azran posted:

Can't speak to the manga, but the anime's a good dozen-episode comedy of misunderstandings. Give it at least two episodes, you'll understand why at the end of the first one.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Arc Hammer posted:

That's Roujin Z

Looks like that's it. Thank you!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any anime similar to Demon Slayer, not necessarily in terms of the setting but action + production and seasonal anime(shorter seasons). I already have seen AoT, Blue Lock , Mob Psycho 100, OPM and Jojo, which I would consider in that vein.

I was wondering if Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man would fit this mold? Maybe the last Bleach Arc? Maybe Vinland Saga? I read the manga of that a long time ago and absolutely adored so I know the story of the 2 seasons. Maybe Bungou Stray Dogs or Fire Force?

Mainly looking for action( animes with good production/animation from last 5 years. So if any of those fit let me know.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ulio posted:

Any anime similar to Demon Slayer, not necessarily in terms of the setting but action + production and seasonal anime(shorter seasons). I already have seen AoT, Blue Lock , Mob Psycho 100, OPM and Jojo, which I would consider in that vein.

I was wondering if Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man would fit this mold? Maybe the last Bleach Arc? Maybe Vinland Saga? I read the manga of that a long time ago and absolutely adored so I know the story of the 2 seasons. Maybe Bungou Stray Dogs or Fire Force?

Mainly looking for action( animes with good production/animation from last 5 years. So if any of those fit let me know.

Chainsaw Man has a 12 episode season and high production values, but the first season goes for more detailed character acting animation over flashy action scene when it has to pick. Still some amazing looking fights, but less showy effects.

JJK is better for the flashy parts, but it also is more meh on downtime scenes, especially with the nonstop fights of the second arc of the second season.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Definitely at least try out vinland saga, dorohedoro, and chainsaw man.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Chainsaw Man has a 12 episode season and high production values, but the first season goes for more detailed character acting animation over flashy action scene when it has to pick. Still some amazing looking fights, but less showy effects.

JJK is better for the flashy parts, but it also is more meh on downtime scenes, especially with the nonstop fights of the second arc of the second season.

Ya i've kinda heard Chainsawman is a bit odd it's not just generic action. JJK I just mentioned because it kinda got popular during covid like Demon Slayer, I 've seen some edits and the animation did look superb.

Captain Invictus posted:

Definitely at least try out vinland saga, dorohedoro, and chainsaw man.

Ya Vinland Saga manga is one of my favorites, right after Berserk/Monster/Pluto. But I remember the mangaka being quite slow with the output so I dropped after and decided to wait till they finish it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's been going since 2005, I think you'll be waiting a while.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Of the ones you mentioned, try Chainsaw Man first. Bungo is (mostly) great but might be a bit action light for you. I'd still give it a go though. Last bleach arc is fine I guess but I wouldn't if I were you. I have a few suggestions that aren't on your list and branch out a little from the formula but might still work well.

A dark horse option is Golden Kamuy. It's adventure (and bizarro frozen world food tourism) as much as action, has no supernatural elements, set around a search by competing groups for a mysterious cache of gold, and is set in a really cool time period with a focus on honor and trauma in the wake of failed wars, Japanese soldiers from the Russo-Japanese war (just prior to WW1), the Ainu people (an indigenous people from Hokkaido and Sakhalin island in Japan's North and far Eastern Russia). There's some dodgy CGI bears in the first season (you can find discussion by the creators - it's not a case of them cheaping out per se, but of them trying to capture a vibe and a detail level and missing the mark) but the production values are much better subsequently. The final arc is airing soon and it'll be a complete / wrapped up story at the end of that. I'm a big, big fan.

One final option you didn't mention but that might interest you is Gundam: Witch from Mercury. It's got a lot more than just action, but does have some great action sequences with mobile suit fights occurring frequently. The show, overall, is absolutely amazing. Really well done.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

-chaika the coffin princess
-trigun stampede (also the original if you want something slower)
-rage of bahamut: genesis
-maybe ranking of kings?

also dorohedoro is always the answer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
are there any anime about an idol, specifically one whose body is composed of some durable substance used in the making of mechanical devices, such as metal

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Colonel posted:

are there any anime about an idol, specifically one whose body is composed of some durable substance used in the making of mechanical devices, such as metal

I can tell this is some kind of joke about "Key the Metal Idol" but I don't seem to have the context to understand what else it's in reference to.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like Bungo Stray Dogs but your enjoyment of it may depend on your tolerance for "Haha! I planned that all along", because there sure is A LOT of that

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I like Bungo Stray Dogs but your enjoyment of it may depend on your tolerance for "Haha! I planned that all along", because there sure is A LOT of that

Lol yeah there really is

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

-chaika the coffin princess
-trigun stampede (also the original if you want something slower)
-rage of bahamut: genesis
-maybe ranking of kings?

also dorohedoro is always the answer

Ranking of Kings has been on my list, I remember people loved that when it came out. Trigun maybe, ya, definitely the newer version...

pork never goes bad posted:

Of the ones you mentioned, try Chainsaw Man first. Bungo is (mostly) great but might be a bit action light for you. I'd still give it a go though. Last bleach arc is fine I guess but I wouldn't if I were you. I have a few suggestions that aren't on your list and branch out a little from the formula but might still work well.

A dark horse option is Golden Kamuy. It's adventure (and bizarro frozen world food tourism) as much as action, has no supernatural elements, set around a search by competing groups for a mysterious cache of gold, and is set in a really cool time period with a focus on honor and trauma in the wake of failed wars, Japanese soldiers from the Russo-Japanese war (just prior to WW1), the Ainu people (an indigenous people from Hokkaido and Sakhalin island in Japan's North and far Eastern Russia). There's some dodgy CGI bears in the first season (you can find discussion by the creators - it's not a case of them cheaping out per se, but of them trying to capture a vibe and a detail level and missing the mark) but the production values are much better subsequently. The final arc is airing soon and it'll be a complete / wrapped up story at the end of that. I'm a big, big fan.

One final option you didn't mention but that might interest you is Gundam: Witch from Mercury. It's got a lot more than just action, but does have some great action sequences with mobile suit fights occurring frequently. The show, overall, is absolutely amazing. Really well done.

I have a feeling Golden Kamuy would be a bit too light on action and the topic wouldn't interest me. As for Gundam, I don't know I feel like I have watched every Gundam timeline but I never finished any except the very first one which I have seen the side stuff + remakes for as well, the Char/Amuro one. I have seen the first season of Bungo, I remember thinking its ok to good but I know people speak more highly of later seasons...

Kingdom is another one, that all the people with similar taste to me recommend. So maybe that could be good but Studio Pierrot are usually quite poo poo with their animation so maybe its a better read?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
You don’t have to watch any show and don’t need to justify it but I wouldn’t say Golden Kamuy is light on action

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If it has even half the action the manga has it has a lot of action and some WILD kind to boot

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ulio posted:

It should be mentioned that ufotable's gorgeous animation can also be seen in Fate, its other major franchise. This includes Fate/Zero, Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works, and Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel. They're different from your other picks and not as easy to recommend, and all of them together aren't short, but they do have quite a bit of similarly pretty action.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i would not recommend watching ufotable's fate adaptations on their own just to see the action. they're movies rather than an anime but if you were going to watch any ufotable fate-related thing i'd sooner recommend kara no kyoukai because those movies are relatively short and stand on their own, and honestly are less slow and talky than fate so at the very least if you're watching them to see the visual spectacle you'll get to that faster than if you watched idk, fate/zero, the show that opens with like an hour of people just walking around rooms and talking. frankly i'd even just recommend watching the tales of zestiria anime instead if the condition you want to fill is just "is a ufotable show", a lot of how that rewrites the script of the game punches it up with more action scenes, and the pacing is pretty brisk and since the game's plot was so threadbare to begin with no context from it is really needed.

darker than black is decent if you want a short form action show, the second season has its infamous reputation but the first one works fine enough as a self-contained story if that puts you off.

Bongo Bill posted:

I can tell this is some kind of joke about "Key the Metal Idol" but I don't seem to have the context to understand what else it's in reference to.

key the metal idol is not actually made of metal

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 28, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Colonel posted:

key the metal idol is not actually made of metal

I would pay to see an OVA that's just Key at a concert screaming "My body is chrome! My blood is gasoline!!!!"

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ulio posted:

I loved Revenger from earlier this year, try that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
heavenly delusion is also from earlier this year and looks gorgeous. only one season, not as many fights as the shonen stuff mentioned, but there's still plenty of action sequences