Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lacus is latin for lake. Meer is German for lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

So it works on two levels.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

First 3 episodes of Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket are good

Going to watch the last 3 next week, but it's a good Christmas/New Years OVA

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the impact of fake lacus can be measured in the wake of her fanart

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still don't have a clue how her outfit works.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

People have cosplayed it, it’s not that difficult to figure out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arc Hammer posted:

It's just a leotard with a weird detached skirt thing that can hook on in the back. There's a universe full of more confusing anime outfits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It just looks like she's wearing a lampshade for a skirt.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Arc Hammer posted:

There’s a GN drive in the skirt.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gaius Marius posted:

:goonsay:
Actually Meer is german for sea, see is german for a lake.
See is used for named seas oddly enough.
Meer however is a lake in Dutch and Zee is Dutch for sea.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 25, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/CalJeal/status/1731149362066317368?t=19qBPfo-D9YhOQ6PnamFMA&s=19

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Endorph posted:

if you're curious about a show just watch all of it lol... if it starts being bad, to you, stop. plenty of people like gundam seed destiny, at least partially. maybe youll be one of them. theres no harm in watching it

I mentioned I've tried Seed and didn't like it before, so I'm probably on the low likely side to like Destiny. But this is a moot point since the anime backlog is massive, who knows if I'll ever get to ep 50 of Seed. Just was food for thought. And indeed the idea that I could skip Destiny might make that more enticing, it is a unique case. But it's still pretty low on the ol' watch list anyway.

But I can see where you're coming from in general, I've watched some things until the wheels fell off. Beverly Hills 90210, it's time to go after season 6 with no Luke Perry.

On avoiding a (perhaps) bad sequel or trying it, I avoided Zoolander 2 until just recently, got curious and watched it. And well, yeah, Zoolander 2 folks.

Merry Xmas Gundam otaku warriors!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 25, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Zelgameth1/status/1739303417682751785?t=AhW6pn7YqGvsnnN8QN4dNg&s=19

Loader 4 looks so drat good in this style.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just out of curiosity, how much do you need to swap out to turn LOADER 4 into a genuinely good mech, if you want your 621 to stay original-flavour?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Just out of curiosity, how much do you need to swap out to turn LOADER 4 into a genuinely good mech, if you want your 621 to stay original-flavour?

Upgrade the internals using OST chips, find a better FCS, power plant, and thruster configuration and maybe use the Raven setup after you beat him in the Arena. Raven's AC is pretty much Loader 4 Plus.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 25, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm pretty sure people have beaten the game with the stock loadout. But swapping out the internals helps a lot, and you'd probably want to swap out the weapons at some point too. Even if just exchanging them for better versions of the same type.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I'm pretty sure people have beaten the game with the stock loadout. But swapping out the internals helps a lot, and you'd probably want to swap out the weapons at some point too. Even if just exchanging them for better versions of the same type.

The basic pulse blade is good from start to credits, to be fair. Not the strongest, not the lightest, not the highest stun, but it does everything you could want from a melee weapon solidly, meaning you'll always miss something about it in whatever you pick as a replacement.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

The basic pulse blade is good from start to credits, to be fair. Not the strongest, not the lightest, not the highest stun, but it does everything you could want from a melee weapon solidly, meaning you'll always miss something about it in whatever you pick as a replacement.

Counterpoint: Pile Bunker

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Too slow

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's why I suggested the Raven configuration because it is essentially Loader 4 with better guns and a pilebunker.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Counterpoint: Pile Bunker

You miss the speed and the range. You whiff with the bunk all the time until you get used to it, and the stun isn't nearly as impressive as the damage. Use it right, there's nothing better, but the pulse blade is much more versatile.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I think the single thing I hate most about Destiny is how Cagalli is suddenly just like, literally unable to do anything without a man to either tell her what to do or physically guide her to do it. Up to where I've gotten she struggles to ever actually finish a sentence in conversation with anyone, and half the time she's shown on screen either Athrun or Yuna are just straight up guiding her around and telling her what she needs like she's a blind centenarian who's lost in the halls.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The SEED Freedom Gundams look so much better in their Gunpla box artwork than they do in the movie itself. I know it's easier to have them static, and Morishita Naochika is such an excellent artist, but still, the difference is insane.
https://twitter.com/naochika0110/status/1739611552825926131?t=CBRow_LGQ1OGPKLk0VAXAg&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsj6ToFTGgc

English subtitled version of the newest SEED Freedom trailer.

How I long for the day where CGI backgrounds and terrain doesn't look wonky when 2D characters are animated moving around it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 27, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsj6ToFTGgc

English subtitled version of the newest SEED Freedom trailer.

How I long for the day where CGI backgrounds and terrain doesn't look wonky when 2D characters are animated moving around it.

Sadly I don't expect that day to ever come since the entire point of them is that they're cheap to do, which doesn't go hand-in-hand with mixing well. Like even the absolute best I've seen is just 'not distracting.'

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/comicallove/status/1740251375295135980?s=46

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God I forgot how loving stupid the Han Shot Firsting of Nicoli looks.

In case anyone has only ever seen the HD version, in the original show Nicoli's death is bluntly "Kira responded on instinct and drove the sword into Nicoli" rather than "Nicoli sort of stumbled into Kira's sword by accident."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0OdGEgplHc&t=247s

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Nicol was 15! He loved the piano and running into swords!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I want to see that for other major deaths.

Kamille going "I must escape" and turning into a Waverider, only for The O to accidentally get in front of it in a tragic accident.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It's loving incredible how HD Remaster just completely butchers that scene for the stupidest reasons possible.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Elsewhere I once wrote way too many words picking apart the HD version, and I watched it way too many times.

One of my favorite details is how goddamn much Nicol missed by in the new version. He is charging the Strike and somehow flies into the sword which ends up being held out to the right and behind the Strike, despite the fact he is holding that spike in the Blitz' left hand. For that to happen he'd have to be WAY off course, to the point that if Kira had done absolutely nothing Nicol would have just sailed by.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

God I forgot how loving stupid the Han Shot Firsting of Nicoli looks.

In case anyone has only ever seen the HD version, in the original show Nicoli's death is bluntly "Kira responded on instinct and drove the sword into Nicoli" rather than "Nicoli sort of stumbled into Kira's sword by accident."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0OdGEgplHc&t=247s

Surely you mean the Han didn't shoot at all, Greedo tripped over his pants and shot himself in the face cut.

It is such a weird edit. Kira isn't the bad guy in the original, but the fact that he does actually kill him is important. It makes later plot points so much weirder because athrun murdering Kira's friend in the skygrasper is no longer seen as a sort of tit for tat for Nicole's death.

It also makes Kira disarming people in the freedom much worse because it goes from 'I've stopped killing after seeing the error of my ways' to 'lucky me that none of these idiots leap onto my weapons.'

Caros
May 14, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

Elsewhere I once wrote way too many words picking apart the HD version, and I watched it way too many times.

One of my favorite details is how goddamn much Nicol missed by in the new version. He is charging the Strike and somehow flies into the sword which ends up being held out to the right and behind the Strike, despite the fact he is holding that spike in the Blitz' left hand. For that to happen he'd have to be WAY off course, to the point that if Kira had done absolutely nothing Nicol would have just sailed by.

Look, genetic tampering doesn't always work out for the best, okay?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Surely you mean the Han didn't shoot at all, Greedo tripped over his pants and shot himself in the face cut.

It is such a weird edit. Kira isn't the bad guy in the original, but the fact that he does actually kill him is important. It makes later plot points so much weirder because athrun murdering Kira's friend in the skygrasper is no longer seen as a sort of tit for tat for Nicole's death.

It also makes Kira disarming people in the freedom much worse because it goes from 'I've stopped killing after seeing the error of my ways' to 'lucky me that none of these idiots leap onto my weapons.'

Yeah, it makes zero sense for anything that happens afterwards, especially because it isn't like he then doesn't flip the gently caress out and try to kill Athrun like half an episode later.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caros posted:

This is extra funny because it accidentally makes Athrun look like an incredibly huge rear end in a top hat. Kira kills Nicol because Nicol is a huge clumsy moron and trips onto Kira's sword accidentally, so Athrun gets mad and very actively kills Kira's friend out of vengeance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dianna Soreil.

Diana Soleil.

Queen of the Moon and her last name is French for Sun.

Diana, Roman goddess of the moon.

Arc Hammer, goddamn idiot getting dinged in the head at 12:30 a.m. with realization of a blatantly obvious reference burrowing it's way through his subconscious.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 29, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the nicol death edit is so strange becauase yea, kira is completely not at fault even in the original scene. like his options were die or kill nicol. kira had them clearly beaten and told them to retreat and nicol charged anyway, and kira was so caught by surprise he didnt have time to do anything but fight back. heck, earlier in the fight he just cuts off the blitz's arm when he easily could have killed nicol there.

its something kira understandably feels guilt for but its not like he really could have done anything else. its not even something he needs absolving for - going out of your way to make that edit, if anything, just makes it seem like athrun was right to be mad at him in the original.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 29, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its also a lame edit because as much as nicol playing the piano gets meme'd on, the nicol death scene is actually one of the more effective scenes in seed, both writing and direction-wise - kira backing off in horror leaving the sword just frying the blitz is actually a pretty haunting image, as is nicol's helmet suddenly filling with blood. and it does actually prevent a conflict where everyone acted pretty reasonably - athrun was trying to defeat an enemy combatant, nicol had no way of knowing if kira was sincere about letting them retreat and wanted to protect athrun, and kira was acting in self-defense. some of the fallout from it gets a bit heavy-handed but i think even seed's most ardent haters would at least agree the concept is solid.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arc Hammer posted:

Dianna Soreil.

Diana Soleil.

Queen of the Moon and her last name is French for Sun.

Diana, Roman goddess of the moon.

Arc Hammer, goddamn idiot getting dinged in the head at 12:30 a.m. with realization of a blatantly obvious reference burrowing it's way through his subconscious.

Yep.

I've also always theorized that Loran's name (which is consistently localized as Rolan in many places) probably comes from "Roland", as in Charlemagne's nephew from the Middle Ages who became an icon of knighthood, but that's just me spitballing poo poo I don't know enough about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Absolutely. That scene is one of the most effective and well-composed in SEED and the edit is in an incoherent mess that I'm completely baffled even happened because it implies that the series composers missed the entire point of Kira's arc and the entire point of that scene.

I never even understood it from the perspective of "Well we gotta keep Kira's hands clean" because even in the original cut Kira is simply defending himself and the HD remasters didn't cut out Kira straight up murdering Stellar under far less desperate circumstances for himself.