Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Ah good luck to her!
How the gently caress does getting on those shows work anyway, just apply? Any prelim rounds to see if you are smart enough or anything?

i suspect it's not necessarily to see if people are smart enough but just to gauge their general knowledge so they can balance the teams between people who know quite a lot of things and the people who just fancy being on TV and will have to guess which party the current PM is in

crispix fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Ah good luck to her!
How the gently caress does getting on those shows work anyway, just apply? Any prelim rounds to see if you are smart enough or anything?

I think Zoom has made things simpler for them. She had to do one mass-zoom with a bunch of other hopefuls and then a follow up solo zoom to assess intelligence and personality.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Speaking of quiz shows I caught a bit of the Harry Potter one earlier today and it's dire. People who happily admit to watching the entire movie series on a constant loop and never reading any other books being asked questions like 'how many house points did Hufflepuff get in the first book' like that loving matters. And the worst part is the number of questions I got right.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Just watched an episode of Uni Challenge from last week, they had questions on snow levels and asked which games featured High Hrothgar, Cainhurst Castle and John Marston killing Dutch Van Der Linde. Fairly obscure.

They answered The Less of Us.

For a quiz watcher, there's just too much to keep up with at Christmas.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Been watching beaucoup Chase/Countdown/Only Connect/Uni Challenge with my FIL this fortnight. Can't wait to be retired

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

why the gently caress would we watch Christmas TV when we’ve just bought Baldur’s Gate 3 in the Steam sale :getin:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My parents honestly seem to have difficulty understanding why anyone would be mean to other people who are just doing their own thing. It's been very instructive when I give them a bit more of the story around trans rights and things like that and they get very cross at the people who've been telling them lies.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1740323239891521634?s=20

Ah yes, Woody Allen's unhinged ex who has a grudge against him for...starting a relationship with her adopted daughter. Nightmare fodder tbh. The Times sure knows where to find them

The article in the tweet, about how magical and creative Jews are… isn’t that a little bit racist? Like talking about how black people are great at basketball or whatever. Stereotyping a group of people.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
philosemitism is wild for sure

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Look I envy the powerful media nonce and that's what all Jews are like in my mind, so magical and creative, no wait where is everyone going..."

Yeah, it's like a level of fart-sniffing antisemitism somehow worse than the tinfoilers.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Fatty posted:

Just watched an episode of Uni Challenge from last week, they had questions on snow levels and asked which games featured High Hrothgar, Cainhurst Castle and John Marston killing Dutch Van Der Linde. Fairly obscure.

They answered The Less of Us.

Are they? Skyrim, Bloodborne, and Red Dead Redemption 2 Not 100% sure on the last one as I havn't actually played it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"The Jews are a creative people" is something undermined by the whole of Israel producing absolutely nothing of any artistic value in it's existence but Quake maps to claim are under hospitals.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
don't know about that one, chief

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
:stare:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fatty posted:

The point of University Challenge is that most questions have at least something to cling to. Like really complicated bonus rounds on science often have a clue where they share the first three letters. That along with minor knowledge of the subject and a basic grasp of latin or history will often allow teams of four to dig out at least one answer from the back of their mind. Similarly the art questions can at least be guessed at with very common knowledge, if its a round on romantic poets, just answer Yeats for every question and you'll probably score some points.

Name a minor character from an obscure game is either you know it or you don't.

I mean not really, you either know or do not know if an answer is Yeats, I could say exactly the same thing about answering any video game character question with "Mario", but also I was being somewhat fascetious with those examples and not sincerely proposing they ask people to name one character out of dozens/hundreds from a random PS1 game.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

philosemitism is wild for sure

My favorite example of it comes from WW2 when the Japanese, having incredibly limited first-hand experience with Jewish people, were told a whole load of Nazi lies by the Nazis and went "Wow these folks sure seem great with money, we gotta get some Jews to help run the Japanese economy!"

Guavanaut posted:

Just went shop and glanced at the front pages.

Anyway, thanks to Ms Adequate I can't read words properly now

Oh I can't take all the credit. But I will :smug:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

don't know about that one, chief

What's your favourite Israeli artistic endeavour?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ofra Haza - love her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPq6eGCXXP8

Orphaned Land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hurWzo01FpM

This one is a French /Israeli collaboration - the three women A'Wa are of Yemeni Jewish background but are Israeli:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0txlm7KUo

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 28, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Gonzo McFee posted:

Habiluyim is a great band, for example, and pretty left wing. I'm assuming most of the thread would like them if you could understand the lyrics.

Just take the L.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Miftan posted:

Habiluyim is a great band, for example, and pretty left wing. I'm assuming most of the thread would like them if you could understand the lyrics.

Just take the L.

After months of seeing "Left wing" Israeli's support genocide I'm doubtful but I'll trust my fellow goons and withdraw my statement.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Angrymog posted:

Are they? Skyrim, Bloodborne, and Red Dead Redemption 2 Not 100% sure on the last one as I havn't actually played it.

Yes, and RDR1, but you'd get the answer, as the full question mentioned a sequel.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

Just take the L.

Just looked them up and tried a few bits & pieces:

I like this one: (reminds me a bit of Igorrr)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHZeXQF0H4

What do the words mean? (Roughly speaking not expecting full translation!) I'm assuming from the 'military' type noises near the end that it's potentially anti-war but obviously I have no idea but I read the wiki.

I found the hebrew lyrics & put them in google translate - don't make a lot of sense as presumably a literal translation - about majorities want minorities to make them tea and we can't go on without tea or something!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 28, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Just went shop and glanced at the front pages.

Anyway, thanks to Ms Adequate I can't read words properly now

When my nephews mentioned Storm Gerrit i said: "it should be called Storm Geralt"... had them in stitches, first time i've made them laugh with a game reference, so proud. :grin:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How old are they that they're old enough to get the reference but young enough to laugh at that dogshit"joke"?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How old are they that they're old enough to get the reference but young enough to laugh at that dogshit"joke"?

AFAIK The Witcher is a pretty popular show with the youngs

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

These kids are happy to relate to their uncle/aunt, and then you turn up with your box of wine to moan at them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

These kids are happy to relate to their uncle/aunt, and then you turn up with your box of wine to moan at them.

I'm available for children's parties

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

In their thirties and as the family "Weird Uncle Of Solitude" i claim my right to make esoteric gaming/scifi references in all matters. :c00lbert:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

In their thirties

Hmm maybe NJAN99 was on to something.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Hmm maybe NJAN99 was on to something.

They hadn't seen me since before covid so who the gently caress knows.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just looked them up and tried a few bits & pieces:

I like this one: (reminds me a bit of Igorrr)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHZeXQF0H4

What do the words mean? (Roughly speaking not expecting full translation!) I'm assuming from the 'military' type noises near the end that it's potentially anti-war but obviously I have no idea but I read the wiki.

I found the hebrew lyrics & put them in google translate - don't make a lot of sense as presumably a literal translation - about majorities want minorities to make them tea and we can't go on without tea or something!

Good choice! They're heavy on puns and metaphors so it probably wouldn't translate that well but the gist of that song is about how Israeli society is crumbling because of how the majority (implied to be the jewish majority) keeps making the minority (implied to be palestinians) "make them tea".

The first bit is about how people are dying and the singer wants to die in winter (probably a jab at jingoistic militarism)

The chorus roughly translates:
"The will of the majority is for the minority to make us tea
we can't go on without something like tea
everything is crumbling and it's cold and everyone's mouth is full of bitterness
we can't go on without something like tea"

The second bit is about someone distracting herself from grief of the death of someone she knows, and then the chorus continues repeating for the last 3 minutes as the music gets more and more discordant and explosions and yelling keeps being heard.

They're also great with puns and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXlmh2IAyow this is basically a pun or two in every single line (plus an absolute banger)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

they're no gogol bordello

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

"The Jews are a creative people" is something undermined by the whole of Israel producing absolutely nothing of any artistic value in it's existence but Quake maps to claim are under hospitals.

But if you look at the wider Jewish diaspora there are quite a lot of extremely talented artists, from Bob Dylan & Lou Reed to Buzz Osborne to Chuck Schuldiner. I don't think it's the Jewishness of Israel that has meant you haven't come across much art from there. Away from music there's people like El Lissitzky who created the fantastic Beat the Whites with the Red Wedge poster for example

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

But if you look at the wider Jewish diaspora there are quite a lot of extremely talented artists, from Bob Dylan & Lou Reed to Buzz Osborne to Chuck Schuldiner. I don't think it's the Jewishness of Israel that has meant you haven't come across much art from there. Away from music there's people like El Lissitzky who created the fantastic Beat the Whites with the Red Wedge poster for example

Aye it was more a poo poo attempt to say that a fascist culture produces poo poo art

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aye it was more a poo poo attempt to say that a fascist culture produces poo poo art

Conflating Jewishness with being Israeli is a bit poo poo though just to start.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah. I'm kind of a bit weirded out by this whole line of chat. Like if it was an unknown poster saying this shite you'd be toast by now.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

HopperUK posted:

Then labelling an entire nationality/group/race as being poo poo at <x> is something that the fascists do. Which makes this post ironic:

Gonzo McFee posted:

e: On the Israel/Palestine subject, I've been flying the Palestinian flag (and the EU one of course) and displaying the 'Free Gaza/Free Palestine' stickers on my wheelchair since mid October. I've only ever had one person vocally complain in that time, which surprised me considering I live in a Tory/Brexit/Posh/Farmer hive town. I'm not posting in the D&D IP thread anymore, so I might as well report that factoid here

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 29, 2023

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Basically every street around where I work has a Palestinian flag fluttering in the breeze waving madly in the gales and it's nice to see as a person who believes the 'war' is just an excuse for genocide, but I don't think you'd have to be a Netanyahu-apologist to find it a little intimidating if you're Israeli or Jewish.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Another observation worth pointing out is that I had friends who sided with Russia instead of Ukraine due to propaganda/ideological blindness etc, but I've not seen any of my friends side with Israel over Gaza. I've seen a few jewish friends do the whole centrist "Both sides are doing bad things" nonsense, but I haven't seen a single friend side with Israel in any way. In fact, the only people I've seen batting for Israel are the far-right cunts who lust over genociding non-whites.

Are there any recent reliable polls?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Aye, didn't mean to post it like that. Meant it as a response to the "Saying Jewish people are naturally creative is racist" post and worded it incredibly badly. Apologies to all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think people are unlikely to side with Israel for "anti imperialist" reasons like some people do with Russia because Israel is best mates with all of the shithead western imperialist powers, so there's no contrarian position to take there. The neo nazis probably aren't going to bat for them because they're antisemitic, and I don't think there is much for otherwise unaligned people to attach to either. So you're left with a particular strain of interventionist liberal/neocon who occupy a disproportionate amount of the government but which I don't think exist much outside it.