Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Grand Fromage posted:

I just don't get why they're still dropping bombs on villagers. They built a launch facility in Hainan, which is a more efficient launch site since it's closer to the equator and also goes over the ocean so it's safe. I get no one in leadership cares about blowing up a village since rural people are irrelevant, but like. At this point you're going out of your way to do it.

I'm guessing that having a spacelaunch facility in your area gives you a lot of clout if you're a politician.

Losing those space launch facilities to somewhere better takes away from that influence.

Therefore, give peasants cancer and set their homes on fire.

QED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am gonna be a dick, but we kinda forget how good we have it in parts of the world. like yeah everywhere has issues and awful poo poo, but i dont have to worry about NASA launching a rocket and pieces of it landing on my house or yard and then having the whole thing covered up.

we mostly blow up other peoples civilians which, ngl, is better for me personally

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/mxdnhPB.mp4

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

every day of my goddamn life

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The fact this isn’t set to some music is a crime

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

lost it at the battering ram meant for dicks

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

meat police posted:

I will not accept No Why; I must know.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

meat police posted:

I don't understand why they cut out the Shooting A Shotgun At My Dick sequence

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Reminds me I havnt seen Legendary Weapons of China in a while

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

MarcusSA posted:

The fact this isn’t set to some music is a crime

I want someone to expose these guys the way the Chinese MMA fighter exposed all the Kung Fu and Taiqi masters with unbeaten records as frauds by challenging them to officiated matches. Well maybe not quite like that as he had to go into hiding because the traditional martial arts community in China was piiiiiiiiissed at him and he started receiving death threats and unwanted visits from local authorities.

But like how loving funny would it be if there was a dude who went around and just sucker punched these dudes in the dicks when they didn't have on whatever protective gear they use or weren't standing in exactly the right position to guide the blow to the side.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Atlas Hugged posted:

But like how loving funny would it be if there was a dude who went around and just sucker punched these dudes in the dicks when they didn't have on whatever protective gear they use or weren't standing in exactly the right position to guide the blow to the side.

so it’s been long enough to cheer on Houdini’s death eh?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Atlas Hugged posted:

I want someone to expose these guys the way the Chinese MMA fighter exposed all the Kung Fu and Taiqi masters with unbeaten records as frauds by challenging them to officiated matches. Well maybe not quite like that as he had to go into hiding because the traditional martial arts community in China was piiiiiiiiissed at him and he started receiving death threats and unwanted visits from local authorities.

is brother dong still around or is he finally living the dream in australia?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

eSports Chaebol posted:

so it’s been long enough to cheer on Houdini’s death eh?

For the record, I don't think anyone should actually do this as it would be assault. The MMA guy had the right idea and outing these guys as frauds in an actual fight with rules is far more satisfactory.

That said, Houdini wasn't a con artist. He was an entertainer and illusionist. My big issue with these dudes was that they're trying to sell you a belief system and are using slight of hand to convince you that they have secret knowledge.

Dick Fontaine posted:

is brother dong still around or is he finally living the dream in australia?

Haven't read about him in many years, so I should do that.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

idk id probably go to church more often if they had a testicular deadfall

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Dong defeated another Taiqi master in 2020 (in ten seconds) and apparently is still around in China, though there isn't much lately about him in western news sources from a quick Google.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Is that the guy who went around beating the poo poo out of traditional martials arts guys until the CCP made him a persona non grata

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Toxic Mental posted:

Is that the guy who went around beating the poo poo out of traditional martials arts guys until the CCP made him a persona non grata

Yeah. A hero.

It was less normal martial arts and more people claiming to be qi wizards.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Unfortunately the umbrella of "traditional martial arts" has included qi wizards and strip mall super secret ops commandos for decades (if not centuries) so it can be hard to draw clear lines between the philosophies and practices at this point and those who are actually preserving the classical styles and those who are just cashing in on them.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Atlas Hugged posted:

Dong defeated another Taiqi master in 2020 (in ten seconds) and apparently is still around in China, though there isn't much lately about him in western news sources from a quick Google.

Just a language note: it’s taiji, not taiqi. Wade Giles romanization is tai chi, but the wade giles “ch” (not “ch’i) is more like a “j” sound.

The word in Chinese is 太极拳, basically meaning something like yin and yang style (the yin and yang symbol is called a “taiji” symbol, 太极图).

The name itself has nothing to do with 气 (qi).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Just a language note: it’s taiji, not taiqi. Wade Giles romanization is tai chi, but the wade giles “ch” (not “ch’i) is more like a “j” sound.

The word in Chinese is 太极拳, basically meaning something like yin and yang style (the yin and yang symbol is called a “taiji” symbol, 太极图).

The name itself has nothing to do with 气 (qi).

Oh, my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. A hero.

It was less normal martial arts and more people claiming to be qi wizards.

I thought they sold his organs?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Should I know what a qi wizard is..

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Tai posted:

Should I know what a qi wizard is..

One of those guys who pretends he can do kai blasts like in DBZ and has followers who will fall over when he flicks at them to demonstrate his powers.

Largely equivalent to karate guys in the States who claim they fought in a super secret tournament in Bali like Bloodsport is supposedly based on.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqzAtS4hmuw

If Dong hadn't cast solar flare the tai chi guy probably would've won tho

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It's that "You call throwing dynamite around a martial art?" from Fist of the North Star but instead of 'throwing dynamite' it's 'punching someone in the face'.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

What's the latest on Hong Kong? Last I've heard a HK journalist disappeared in China about a month ago, and activists concerned about elections.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 2, 2024

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Good Sphere posted:

What's the latest on Hong Kong? Last I've heard a HK journalist disappeared in China about a month ago, and activists concerned about elections.

there is nothing wrong in Xianggang

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looks like someone is getting scape goated after the news of new game regulations tanked the stock prices of Tencent and Netease.

China removes official after video games rules spark turmoil

China removed an official at a government body overseeing its press and publications regulator, five sources who were briefed on the matter said, days after Chinese gaming stocks were hit by proposed rules to curb spending on video games.

Feng Shixin was removed last week from his position as head of the publishing unit of the Communist Party's Publicity Department, the sources said. The department oversees the National Press and Publication Administration (NPPA) which in turn regulates China's vast video games sector.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-removes-official-after-video-games-rules-spark-turmoil-sources-2024-01-02/

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Good Sphere posted:

Everything is poo poo and most people who can get out are getting out, but the government decided that the main focus in 2024 will be national security and score-settling

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
So I saw that the CCP is lowering VISA requirements for Americans effective this week to help combat their 99% drop in tourism over the last 5 years. I understand that that was mostly Covid lockdowns and not wanting foreigners in the country, but still 99% :wtf:.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I will go

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Imperialist Dog posted:

Everything is poo poo and most people who can get out are getting out, but the government decided that the main focus in 2024 will be national security and score-settling

Yeah some friends of mine got out not that long ago and poo poo is pretty bad they said. Police are just openly arresting anyone for utter BS reasons. There's lots of distrust amongst people who are fearful of what they say or do to people they barely know or don't know.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Is the Xu Xiaodong guy doing anything like saying "China needs to be new and move on from mysticism" or anything? Because that'd seem like the PR angle you wanna take for making traditional Chinese poo poo look foolish

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I'm pretty sure the CCP under Mao would have been paying him to literally combat superstition by punching it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The junk collector posted:

So I saw that the CCP is lowering VISA requirements for Americans effective this week to help combat their 99% drop in tourism over the last 5 years. I understand that that was mostly Covid lockdowns and not wanting foreigners in the country, but still 99% :wtf:.

Sweet! I’ll still not be going.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd like to visit, see friends, eat food, go some places I never did, but uh.

No thanks.

Last I checked it was $19,000 so at least the tickets are going the right direction I guess???

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd like to visit, see friends, eat food, go some places I never did, but uh.

No thanks.

Last I checked it was $19,000 so at least the tickets are going the right direction I guess???

Where are you flying from??? I just checked LAX to Beijing and it was $1000-1200

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the only reason i would even consider going back to china is if the CCP is out of power.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Coolguye posted:

the only reason i would even consider going back to china is if the CCP is out of power.
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I hear that from everyone I've met who used to live or work there lol. Love the country but gently caress the government.

I still laugh about a message I got years ago from an almost tankie friend. Wasn't fully red pilled but defended the government a little too much. Prehaps 6 months went by when he sent me a message saying he's handed in his notice. He's no longer a tankie.