Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

You don't have to be autistic to post here

But you are

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

Yeah SA has gotten a lot nicer. I'm not sure if that's because all the assholes got banned, that they're posting in places I'm not in, or if old age has mellowed out the average goon.

lowtax was an rear end in a top hat from the start and created an abusive moderation structure and encouraged hostility all around, he didn't get out of control until the drug abuse/head injury got to him but he was always kind of a rear end in a top hat, just stil able to turn it off at the timr

but like, he thought helldump closing was a bad move, posted on kiwifarms and somethingsensitive and w/e

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think lowtax was def jealous and bitter that moot stole his thunder

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think lowtax was def jealous and bitter that moot stole his thunder

he got mad at anyone that he had any opportunity to be mad at
i don't think he was ever a very happy guy and probably never addressed his poo poo & blamed everyone around him for his bad mood bc narcissist

RHase
Sep 4, 2016

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

responding 4 days later :cool:

i think everybody wants to be funny/smart all the time but remember how easy it is to just scroll past stuff and if you make some not as good ones it doesn't really matter and nobody's gonna be mad at you. thankfully it seems much less likely that you're gonna get flamed or called out in a mean way now than in the past. one of the first posts i remember making was in a "post an offensive joke" thread in gbs and i repeated a dumb thing i had heard at school that wasn't that funny. some guy with a monty python avatar made a stern sounding reply about the where the joke was originally from and why the version i said was lame or something and it freaked me out for a long time. but! it did make me avoid making gross jokes in the future so even the crummy posts can be useful lol

repeating things a bunch to get it just right is annoying when you're in a hurry but it can be good for working on art stuff. aim to make stuff that makes you happy though and not work to the unreasonable standards of what the way too talented people show off on the internet or tv. all the competition tv shows for like baking or miniatures or whatever where you have to defeat your peers to be #1 the best and if you mess up one time you're out and everyone pretends to be sad are fuckin bullshit. like they're trying to make every fun hobby into a job that some goober gets to judge you on. getting results different than what you expect and adapting to problems when making stuff is the fun part, working with flawless precision is what happens when you've done something so many times that all the mystery is gone and it's boring.

i've been messing around with a laser cutter for a few years and there's so many little things you have to tweak (holding objects in same place every time, lens focus, beam intensity, directing the air right where the laser hits so the smoke gets blown away perfectly, etc.) that i often obsess over one and don't get anything done and end up quitting for a while. but breaks let you passively work poo poo out in the background of your brain which is cool. then once whatever part is fixed and going again it's really satisfying to let it run and make a little object in the shape you wanted. i mess up a lot but im only making tiny things so there's not much waste and i don't feel too bad about it. also the vaporizing wood smells really nice so that's a cool bonus. unlike with drawings where you're never quite sure when it's finished, having to press a final button to start the machine to make the thing is helpful because you know you're "done" with that design. then you get to look at it from a different perspective and can adjust whatever you feel could be better for the next one. sort of like posting i guess

I appreciate the response!! It's a weird one for me when it comes to posting, since part of it is definitely worry about how I'm perceived, and another part of it is just weird standards in my head I hold myself to that absolutely no one else is going to notice or care about. Dumbass things like making sure everything flows in a way that sounds best to me, that I'm not overusing or repeating words too much, making sure it's not overly explanatory and rambly or too short and vague, and other poo poo like that. Which again, something that absolutely zero people besides me are going to give a poo poo about. It is funny at times though, since it feels like it gives me a partial immunity to things like drunken meltdown posting, since even outside not drinking too frequently, if I try to post online or in a group chat or something while intoxicated, it still needs to go through the mental editorial board before I'll actually hit send.

With hobbies and art for me, the biggest issue has always been when I hit a plateau after starting to improve a good bit or when I feel like I'm not making any progress to begin with, which ends up getting to a point where I just get frustrated with what I'm doing and end up quitting for a while. I love repetition when it comes to things that I feel more confident with, like whenever I learn a new song on keyboard I can play that same song over and over for weeks on end and have a blast doing it each time (especially when it's something that I'm proud to be able to play), or when I was really into baking earlier in the year I loved to make bread in a routine, having a specific one to bake on certain days of the week and never really straying beyond the 3 or so recipes I really liked to do. Even outside creating stuff, I've always been the type of person who loves to listen to the same handful of bands, rewatch the same handful of movies, and replay the same handful of games over and over and over again. Sort of a comfort with familiarity thing, I guess.

RHase posted:

I had an intake with a new provider earlier in the month, and from the sounds of it I should (hopefully) be finally getting medicated as well next week.

In other news, had my follow up appointment today and now I'm officially diagnosed and medicated for ADHD :toot: Here's to hopefully breaking out of the endless mental haze I've grown way too familiar with the past couple decades.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FirstnameLastname posted:

he got mad at anyone that he had any opportunity to be mad at
i don't think he was ever a very happy guy and probably never addressed his poo poo & blamed everyone around him for his bad mood bc narcissist

True that. Everything up to him committing suicide literally to deny his kids child support seems to come down to the narcissistic need to have power and exercise it over others, and having any kind of obligation to anyone or others having leverage over him is utterly anathema.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

You don't have to be autistic to post here

But you are

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

RHase posted:

With hobbies and art for me, the biggest issue has always been when I hit a plateau after starting to improve a good bit or when I feel like I'm not making any progress to begin with, which ends up getting to a point where I just get frustrated with what I'm doing and end up quitting for a while. I love repetition when it comes to things that I feel more confident with, like whenever I learn a new song on keyboard I can play that same song over and over for weeks on end and have a blast doing it each time (especially when it's something that I'm proud to be able to play), or when I was really into baking earlier in the year I loved to make bread in a routine, having a specific one to bake on certain days of the week and never really straying beyond the 3 or so recipes I really liked to do. Even outside creating stuff, I've always been the type of person who loves to listen to the same handful of bands, rewatch the same handful of movies, and replay the same handful of games over and over and over again. Sort of a comfort with familiarity thing, I guess.

I think every ADHD person has the remains of dozens of hobbies they got really into for a few weeks or months then hit a plateau and lost interest in

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
one of the things i am proudest of over the last year and a half or so is sticking with something hard long enough to beat a few plateaus. waiting on some biggers ones to hit me though

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

local man becomes insane rereg

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Dunno who this is and if you want me to interpret facial expressions you might want to remember I spent my childhood posting

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Nix Panicus posted:

I think every ADHD person has the remains of dozens of hobbies they got really into for a few weeks or months then hit a plateau and lost interest in

Hahaha

Welp

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Dunno who this is and if you want me to interpret facial expressions you might want to remember I spent my childhood posting

Its from the movie Falling Down, where a white guy becomes increasingly violent and belligerent but blames it on everyone else. At the end of the movie the cops chase him down for crimes and he has a moment of realization that he isnt a lone bastion of decency and humanity standing against the scum of the world, hes actually the bad guy.

Thats his face as he says 'I'm the bad guy?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmuF-0P4tk

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I gotta figure out alternatives to dating sites because I had the same experience every woman has on those (thousands of anonymous likes and a few messages from the horniest men alive and women trying to find a third for their nasty boyfriend), but I don't really know if its normal to go to a bar (the other stand-by for finding singles) and not drink considering the fact that drinking makes me feel absolutely miserable

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The people you meet at a bar are going to be the kind of people who go to bars to meet people. While theres nothing wrong with that, if you're not a bar kind of person maybe going out with a bar person is not an ideal match?

Consider going out to do things you do like, or things that look interesting, and meet people who inherently share at least one interest?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
hobby and interest spaces that you make a habit of are the move. 100 years ago everyone got married to someone they met at church. what could be the equivalent, for you

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ohtori Akio posted:

hobby and interest spaces that you make a habit of are the move. 100 years ago everyone got married to someone they met at church. what could be the equivalent, for you

the church of cspam

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

tokin opposition posted:

I feel like I'm like a lot of autistic people but because I am way too sensitive to people's tells and I shut down or otherwise can't navigate them, rather than not understanding them. I think that BPD runs in my family so maybe I'm predisposed developmentally that way. Interestingly some psychoanalysts view autism and that as being related in that subject-object do not become differentiated in the typical manner.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

lowtax was an rear end in a top hat from the start and created an abusive moderation structure and encouraged hostility all around, he didn't get out of control until the drug abuse/head injury got to him but he was always kind of a rear end in a top hat, just stil able to turn it off at the timr

but like, he thought helldump closing was a bad move, posted on kiwifarms and somethingsensitive and w/e

I still can’t believe you can buy out other people’s avatar. This is pretty much only used to cyber bully

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

skooma512 posted:

I still can’t believe you can buy out other people’s avatar. This is pretty much only used to cyber bully

It's also used to fake cyberbullying

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

tokin opposition posted:

Either that or I've simply become universally loved and acclaimed

i think thats part of it at least

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Ohtori Akio posted:

hobby and interest spaces that you make a habit of are the move.

what if all of my hobbies and interests exist in my basement

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Meet people who also like basements using the internet

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

tokin opposition posted:

Yeah SA has gotten a lot nicer. I'm not sure if that's because all the assholes got banned, that they're posting in places I'm not in, or if old age has mellowed out the average goon.

Either that or I've simply become universally loved and acclaimed

lol

I called you a nerd earlier but I think your posts are good

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

i found an at home ketamine therapy woot

rly does work btw

normal feeling beyond measure

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

rly does work btw

normal feeling beyond measure

lol we see your posts you know

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol we see your posts you know

lol i thought i was writing something legible

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Saying 'the drugs have made me incredibly normal' but Im so high it comes out in an unintelligible slurred mumble as I piss myself

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The cool thing about euphoric psychoactive drugs is that it's impossible to do blind studies on their clinical effectiveness.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Nix Panicus posted:

Saying 'the drugs have made me incredibly normal' but Im so high it comes out in an unintelligible slurred mumble as I piss myself

lol but really it makes the like, locked-up disassociated depressive ptsd stuff all just kind of go away, almost immediately and the world feels okay again and then it wears off but that stuffs still gone & the world still feels okay and i don't feel like i need to take more or need to take anything else now just to continue feeling okay, i don't feel like I'm just staving off the lovely feelings all sinking back in by the next time i wake up or something lovely happens

for pharmaceuticals that's already an outcome better than every ssri, snri, tricyclic, weird atypical med I've ever tried and itd be easier to list the ones i didn't take. none helped fix anything and several objectively just made things worse while i took them

i know im a v. atypical case and that usually people don't go through 19 different prescriptions to no results but for treatment resistant depression trauma stuff it works crazy good for making things feel like they used to again

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
I'm an autist born in 1995 so you bet I know everything to know about the first few hundred pokemon

Classic cross diagnosis of adhd (unmedicated long story) but I didn't get either diagnosis till 22 and 27 respectively so childhood was, a time

I'm also schizophrenic. I've only met a handful of schizo autists, they sure leave a fuckin impression

Ummm ptsd in there somewhere. In and out of recovery for IV crystal meth (and like, whatever else you could think of, that's the worst one tho) (this is why medicating adhd is difficult)

Basically not sure how I'm alive. Least I'm not American

I like this thread.

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
Forever having to convince people that no, I really am autistic, yes I know I don't "look" like it, yes it does make me very clever, no I do have feelings, blah blah blah

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
Current health goal is getting adhd medicated, my drs slowly on board with the idea. Recent health achievement is getting medical cannabis products rolling (in Australia!!!) and ditching all benzos and opiods

Well that's me or I'll post another 17 times peace

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
OK one more post: I read something early in thread about connecting with your autistic kids and got really happy. If you leave your autistic kids to rot I happen. You don't want me happening. Kudos for spreading the good word

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ol sakkman posted:

Forever having to convince people that no, I really am autistic, yes I know I don't "look" like it, yes it does make me very clever, no I do have feelings, blah blah blah

lol yeah I don't act autistic outwardly because that got me abused and rejected as a kid. so I'm pretty good at masking!!

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol yeah I don't act autistic outwardly because that got me abused and rejected as a kid. so I'm pretty good at masking!!

I end up keeping exes around cos they're the only people I can be autistic around for whatever reason. All stimmy and twitchy and groany. Can't even do that poo poo alone!!!

Adding an (un)healthy layer of schizo dissociative issues to the normal disconnection to sensory input makes things just...

It's remarkable how one can look cool calm collected and be an absolute raging nuclear poo poo fire internally

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos
How did I get to 28 years of age before finding a social space that was "autism: we got it. What's up with that" that's truly ludicrous

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ol sakkman posted:

It's remarkable how one can look cool calm collected and be an absolute raging nuclear poo poo fire internally

thread title lol

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
autism rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos

mags posted:

autism rules

I maintain its the loving non autists making GBS threads it up for everyone. We could all coexist but nooooo