Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's written "Rolan" in English literally everywhere except the official subs, so yeah that seems likely. Presumably they went with "Loran" because it fits better with "Laura Roller".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the only point against it is that Roland is specifically known for dying while fighting to turn back the invasion.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gaius Marius posted:

I think the only point against it is that Roland is specifically known for dying while fighting to turn back the invasion.

Hence why I only bring it up as a theory. I don't know much, but there's clearly no singular obvious smoking gun beyond maybe Loran's sword not breaking at the end?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Huh, I only saw the HD Seed version but I took it as Kira killing Nicoli on instinct, not Nicoli running into Kira’s sword.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

Huh, I only saw the HD Seed version but I took it as Kira killing Nicoli on instinct, not Nicoli running into Kira’s sword.

That is because that is what all the choreography says until the one part they changed. Yet if you compare the 2 it becomes hilarious obvious that Kira just kind of... holds his sword to the side and Nicol runs into it, whereas in the original he clearly swings on instinct and realizes only after he did it that he just killed someone.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
It’s been a while since I’ve seen Seed but didn’t Kira kill a lot of people up to that point? Why was he concerned/surprised with the Blitz in particular when that happened

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen Seed but didn’t Kira kill a lot of people up to that point? Why was he concerned/surprised with the Blitz in particular when that happened

Kira had killed people but meeting Andy had driven home to him that he was killing actual people with names, and he'd just met Athrun and the people who were obviously Athrun's friends sneaking into Orb an episode earlier. So when he killed Nicol he was well aware that he'd just killed a person who he had seen in person and who was Athrun's friend, just like Kira is.

It's basically a moment of "Oh gently caress, I killed someone, a real living person who I can't compartmentalize away, and I did it by accident."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 29, 2023

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That is because that is what all the choreography says until the one part they changed. Yet if you compare the 2 it becomes hilarious obvious that Kira just kind of... holds his sword to the side and Nicol runs into it, whereas in the original he clearly swings on instinct and realizes only after he did it that he just killed someone.

I’ll give you that it’s more explicit in the original version. But I thought in the HD version Kira (clumsily) dodged and countered with a slash from right to left.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MechaX posted:

None of those other people played piano

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

I’ll give you that it’s more explicit in the original version. But I thought in the HD version Kira (clumsily) dodged and countered with a slash from right to left.

Nah, you can see it in the video. He sort of.. flails his sword around and then holds it to the side and Nicol misses or (something) and falls right into the sword.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

having not seen seed, it seems like it'd work if kira's gundam took an actual step to the side, like he's sidestepping nicol's attack but wasn't thinking about how his position would still leave his sword right in nicol's path.

but its right foot never moves so it looks like nicol just missed him so bad that he ran right into kira's sword

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Eh, I don’t feel too strongly of Kira let his Coordinator Berserker instincts get the best of him and intentionally killed Nicol or those instincts had him dodged and position his sword so Nicol would literally thrown himself on his sword. The scene still works for me since Kira tired to avoid killing anyone or letting anyone die and still failed, more so because he knows Nicol was one of Arthurn’s comrades. And Arthurn still gets angry and tries to kill Kira for real later because he’s human, just watched one of his friends die, and now he feels duty bound to avenge Nicol’s death for Yzak and Dearka on top of his orders to destroy the Strike Gundam from Rau, which he’s had opportunities to do it before but didn’t because of his friendship with Kira. And now because of his indecisiveness Nicol, who was 15 and loved the piano, is dead.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SgtSteel91 posted:

Eh, I don’t feel too strongly of Kira let his Coordinator Berserker instincts get the best of him and intentionally killed Nicol or those instincts had him dodged and position his sword so Nicol would literally thrown himself on his sword. The scene still works for me since Kira tired to avoid killing anyone or letting anyone die and still failed, more so because he knows Nicol was one of Arthurn’s comrades. And Arthurn still gets angry and tries to kill Kira for real later because he’s human, just watched one of his friends die, and now he feels duty bound to avenge Nicol’s death for Yzak and Dearka on top of his orders to destroy the Strike Gundam from Rau, which he’s had opportunities to do it before but didn’t because of his friendship with Kira. And now because of his indecisiveness Nicol, who was 15 and loved the piano, is dead.

Kira was not avoiding killing at that point. That event is the catalyst that specifically caused him to begin avoiding killing, which is why it's such an important moment in his character development and why it's goofy as poo poo that they hosed it up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also like Athrun flat-out loving kills Tolle in response in one of the most genuinely horrible deaths in Gundam.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

Kira was not avoiding killing at that point. That event is the catalyst that specifically caused him to begin avoiding killing, which is why it's such an important moment in his character development and why it's goofy as poo poo that they hosed it up.

I disagree, Kira tries to run interference and defend the Archangel from Zaft, and doesn’t want to kill anyone while doing it, but his inexperience in fighting and the limitations of the Strike Gundam means that he has to kill or else his friends or himself get killed. And it fucks him up every time, with Nicol being the worse because he was 15 & loved piano was Arthun’s friend. That and the following death match he had with Arthurn that also gets Tolle killed is the catalyst for him finding the courage to go against Zaft and the Feddies to the war without increasing bloodshed, and given the Freedom Gundam he has the power to do so.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
As someone who hasn't seen Seed, this change was the one thing about Seed I thought everyone agreed was stupid and bad. It looks incredibly dumb and it's meant to make Kira an unimpeachably good person to a ridiculous degree, like Greedo shooting first but much worse

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm at episode 39 of Turn A Gundam, and I'm curious, do we know how far out plot beats were planned out? I'm liking the series, but I can't help but feel a lot of plot beats were written without a conclusion planned, with some things being set up to be much more important than they really feel, and some things that felt minor becoming super important. I kinda felt the same way about Witch from Mercury.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I think the broad strokes were all planned from the beginning but Tomino was hoping for 100 episodes, and had to make adjustments based on that

I never really got that impression though, what specific bits are you thinking of?

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Loran's dual identity with "Laura" fizzling out without much being added, Corina Nander surviving and then just getting a one-off to finish his story, people seem to just have figured out which is Kihel and which is Dianna when its convenient without set up they were suspicious, the two low rank Monrace becoming the pilots for the Militia, Guin just becoming the leader of the Militia again, etc. It's a lot of little things that sort of happen without fanfare, or don't seem to go how I would expect.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't think answers should be given on any of those because most of them involve spoilers, and singling out the ones that don't just means it's obvious which ones are spoilers. That said, I do think it's safe to at least note however that "a lot of little things sort of happen without fanfare" is a good summation of Tomino's writing style in general.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Loran's dual identity with "Laura" fizzling out without much being added, Corina Nander surviving and then just getting a one-off to finish his story, people seem to just have figured out which is Kihel and which is Dianna when its convenient without set up they were suspicious, the two low rank Monrace becoming the pilots for the Militia, Guin just becoming the leader of the Militia again, etc. It's a lot of little things that sort of happen without fanfare, or don't seem to go how I would expect.
some of that is just tomino's writing style tbh. 0079 and zeta are probably two of the series that fit into more 'standard' plotting (though zeta has its moments) but if you watch stuff like l-gaim, king gainer, etc, anticlimaxes and unexplained developments are all over those. he sort of writes the characters as 'people' and that means stuff just sort of happens when the camera isnt on them. thats before even getting into stuff like brain powered thats borderline incomprehensible.

but yeah, some of that is probably the episode count being cut in half - there's a very clear transition point in the series where it suddenly jumps into progressing to the climax, when the transition was probably more gradual in his original plans.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah, a more charitable reading of my thoughts might be that Tomino let's his character's actions, not words, reveal what they're thinking and allows for a realism where plans don't have to succeed or fail dramatically, but I couldn't help but wonder if Tomino was just as lost as Loran on what to do with the nukes, or if he had that ending to that subplot sketched out when it was introduced.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MechaX posted:

Because Nicol was Athrun's friend. Before that, and before his fight with Athrun, he does kill a lot of people and doesn't even really think twice about it, except Andrew Waltfield who is the only guy he kills who he gets to know outside of the suit. But of course he's fine because his girlfriend's body shielded him or whatever.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yeah, a more charitable reading of my thoughts might be that Tomino let's his character's actions, not words, reveal what they're thinking and allows for a realism where plans don't have to succeed or fail dramatically, but I couldn't help but wonder if Tomino was just as lost as Loran on what to do with the nukes, or if he had that ending to that subplot sketched out when it was introduced.

I don't know that he had that exact sequence planned out, because I don't think there's ever been a production document for Turn A released that gives insight into the exact plan for episodes or anything, but it does seem like the kind of thing he would plan out for them at the very least; including the fact that Loran uses them as essentially grenades instead of firing them off from the suit's chest chambers properly, since it emphasizes how lost even a Moonrace citizen like Loran is on how to use the tech he's been given. It fits thematically to use such horrific weapons for a defensive purpose to stop a non-living threat, rather than to use them as weapons of war too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1740912508762816906?t=ak2FKfhsuXAN5joxF_OT7A&s=19

Huh

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I don't think Gundam Seed: War in the Pocket would work because the average grimdarkness of Seed is much higher than the early UC. Oh wow we're gonna traumatize this school kid lmao better than running into Yzak on a bad day lol.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I don't think Gundam Seed: War in the Pocket would work because the average grimdarkness of Seed is much higher than the early UC. Oh wow we're gonna traumatize this school kid lmao better than running into Yzak on a bad day lol.

"Kid getting horribly traumatized by watching a loved one die violently in front of him" is covered pretty nicely by Shinn, at least.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
UC Al had to deal with Bernie Burgers. CE Al only gets face ketchup

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I am morbidly interested to find out if the new SEED movie can produce a character more obnoxious than Shinn.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I am morbidly interested to find out if the new SEED movie can produce a character more obnoxious than Shinn.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping Shinn will be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Nuebot posted:

Kira and Athrun are both in it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Nuebot posted:

Yes, his name is Mitsuo Fukuda.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

haypliss posted:

Kira and Athrun are both in it.

Athrun might be the world's dumbest man, but he's not as outright obnoxious as Shinn is, not even close. I'm like halfway through Destiny and so far Kira's done exactly one thing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Shinn's really angry but I can't think of anything he does in Destiny that I'd call outright stupid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Shinn's really angry but I can't think of anything he does in Destiny that I'd call outright stupid.

He's got a few moments but they are usually when he is at his lowest and most desperate. Like giving Stellar back to the EA was incredibly stupid but it was also a desperate situation where he prioritized Stellar's life above anything else. (And, admittedly, paid the price for it hard.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Honestly, I don't even really consider that stupid, per se. His choice there was "absolutely let this girl die in horrible agony" or "take a risk that she might have a chance to live". He seemed willing to pay the price.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 31, 2023

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket is a pretty good Gundam show and Christmas movie

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/haruta_mona/status/1740946256959357093

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Well, he did specify "obnoxious" rather than "stupid" and while they can sometimes apply to the same situation they're also not intrinsically synonymous and I can see how Shinn's anger and propensity to confront people over every perceived issue could rub some people the wrong way. I kind of wonder how many fans of Kamille are fans of Shinn, since the two both start off as angry youths lashing out at the world constantly. I know it's not a 1:1 analogue or anything, but I'd assume "CE Kamille" was probably Shinn's starting point in production, and personally I found him a lot more interesting than Kamille, perhaps because his anger was so much more well founded or perhaps just because he was in CE and that explicit a defining character trait made him stand out from the crowd when a lot of the rest of CE's primary characters are so much more empty.

I suppose it also helps that the beginning of Destiny seems to be setting Shinn on a collision course with Kira for being the one who killed his family, and I was really looking forward to that as a plot point and imagined a much different show where Shinn was confronted by how his own actions in war have created other orphans or victims that he'd have to confront after coming into conflict with Kira etc. I tend to just like that version that I imagined in my own head rather than what was actually put to screen after the first 20 or so episodes.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1741566524182425610?t=V3osKKvnNlcrm9rzE-cqhQ&s=19

Okawara doesn't miss.