Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mellonbread posted:

Roll a D12 and a D2. If the D2 comes up 2, add 12 to the D12.

yeah, i played a one shot of DCC and all the weird rear end dice can be done like that with a little thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

Not sure this is the right thread for this, but: I remember "Death to ability scores!" being a common catchphrase here at one point. What I find odd about it is that I can't actually think of any tabletop RPGs (aside from maybe some ultra-rules-lite ones) that don't have ability scores. I can think of a few systems that superficially don't have them, but actually have them in disguise. What are these ability-score-less systems that people were calling for D&D to imitate?

I could be misremembering but it was more about moving away from a score that meant nothing other than what tier bonus you got to just explicitly listing the bonus.

Like, no more 18 constitution that gives you a +3 just say you have a +3 constitution since it's the same thing.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Silver2195 posted:

Not sure this is the right thread for this, but: I remember "Death to ability scores!" being a common catchphrase here at one point. What I find odd about it is that I can't actually think of any tabletop RPGs (aside from maybe some ultra-rules-lite ones) that don't have ability scores. I can think of a few systems that superficially don't have them, but actually have them in disguise. What are these ability-score-less systems that people were calling for D&D to imitate?

Both LANCER and Strike! RPG are heavily 4e inspired and don't have anything that comes with nearly half the baggage of the big six. Blades in the Dark also does it so very differently that I would struggle to call insight prowess and resolve ability scores in the d&d sense.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Silver2195 posted:

Plenty of games have 'skills' but not ability scores. Fate, anything BitD, the upcoming Icon, Risus, etc

The problem is specifically that ability scores in DnDesque games are a non-choices because there are always some that are optimal for your build and therefore they also restrict your skill choices (e.g. a Fighter is not going to have a reason to boost Cha high enough to be good at Persuasion, for example, while still being an optimal fighter).

If you want to conceptualise what this looks like in play just imagine any given DnD edition but every PC's scores are 18 or 20 across the board.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Griddle of Love posted:

Both LANCER and Strike! RPG are heavily 4e inspired and don't have anything that comes with nearly half the baggage of the big six. Blades in the Dark also does it so very differently that I would struggle to call insight prowess and resolve ability scores in the d&d sense.

I guess you could argue that BitD has "saves" rather than "ability scores," and they're derived from skills instead of the other way around. But they're still broad categories of competence tied to skills.

I admit I'm not very familiar with the rules of LANCER and Strike!

Come to think of it, I guess FATE doesn't have ability scores, although I don't often see FATE held up as a model to be emulated.

Edit: There's also some games that have "skills" but not "ability scores," though the fewer skills you have, the more they resemble ability scores (and the more skills you have, the more complex character creation becomes). I think FATE dodges this dilemma by leaving skill lists up to the GM instead of having a fixed list.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 29, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It really just depends on the kind of game you're designing, there's perfectly valid reasons to have Attributes/Ability Scores, though obviously D&D's implementation of them have been contentious at best (lugging around old baggage from a half-century old offshoot of a miniatures wargame will do that).

In some games there's literally no reason to measure broad traits like that if everything can be defined easily using skills, like Blades in the Dark, and "attributes" are just saving throws to encourage a degree of versatility in skill builds. LANCER also does not have ability scores per se, the closest equivalent are the pilot mech skills for giving common bonuses to all of the mechs in a pilot's stable, modifying their Hull, Agility, Systems, and Engineering by a set amount. All of those modify base capabilities which are fully determined by the mech's own stats. As a LANCER mech is functionally like a Job Class in a Final Fantasy sort of sense, this basically obviates the need for broader tracking of a pilot's Strength, Dexterity, etc. For everything a pilot might do out of combat, those are tracked by a pretty hand-wavey wibbly wobbly skill system but the mechanical rigor of LANCER's gameplay loop is like 98% combat, and 2% noncombat. There's a reason ICON, the fantasy followup to LANCER, straight up bolts FitD to their signature post-D&D4e LANCER-style combat.

Amusingly, in Fragged Empire and its spinoffs, Attributes are extremely important stats for combat but have very limited applicability to Skills (which govern both conventional Skill checks as well as the Acquisition rolls that affect the better portion of your character progression), and both Attributes and Skills are treated pretty importantly because the balance of the gameplay loop is a lot more balanced and both have clearly defined niches in the system.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
As a matter of genre emulation, I would expect a mecha RPG to have stats for pilots along the lines of “Reflexes,” “Technical Knowledge,” “Hot-Bloodedness,” and maybe some sort of stat for Newtype/Geass powers. How does LANCER model those things?

Edit: I guess the mech pilot skills Runa mentions would cover some of those, although they mostly seem like subsets of technical knowledge.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 29, 2023

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
ICON, the fantasy follow-up to Lancer, has no attributes. In narrative play you have skills and abilities. In tactical combat, you have zero numerical metrics that are not determined exclusively by your class.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ferrinus posted:

They're right if you just understand "wizards" as shorthand for "full spellcasters". How does a rogue signify that they're breaking the emergency glass because the situation calls for them to go all-out? Well, by trying to line up and deliver a sneak attack, same as they do every other round. A fighter's at least got their per-short-rest action surge, but they conspicuously don't get a special move or combat stance so outrageously powerful that it'd be ridiculous to let them do it more than once per day.

We've both been on this forum long enough for me to know that our perspectives on RPGs are irreconcilable, so I'm not going to argue this with you - feel free to have the last word! I'll just post this for others to ruminate on and investigate in their own play:

For the majority of the 5e leveling curve, the "break the glass and go all out" trigger for rogues and fighters is drinking the Good Potions and then obliterating the encounter, plus the aforementioned Action Surge. Consumables and Weird Trick items are meant for those classes, and it's a failing of the (very bad) 5e Player's Handbook and (somewhat less bad) DMG that it doesn't call this out explicitly in big bold capital letters.

D&D 5e is a bad system and I am eternally grateful to be free of it at last, but after seven straight years of weekly D&D 5e sessions, hundreds of sessions and around 2,000 hours of play and around that many hours of weekly prep, taking multiple parties from levels 1 to 20, the overwhelmingly dominant combatants in the campaigns I've run have been the rogues and the fighters, and it wasn't even particularly close. Does this have something to do with the players of my rogues and fighters being active, engaged participants who are thinking about what's happening the table, creating advantageous fictional positioning, and using their resources appropriately? Yeah, it does, but that should be the standard around which we design. Does it also have something to do with the mechanics as written, where the level 20 fighter's damage output was so high, durability, and mobility were so extreme that I had to create an entirely separate boss in the final fight just for him so he wouldn't end the fight in two rounds? Yes, that is also true.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Aside from some already mentioned there are systems that don't have attributes/abilities and instead are more personality/approach rating. Like L5R or Fate Accelerated. You aren't strong or weak, instead you are better at doing things gracefully, explosively/passionately, under pressure, and so on rather than being strong, tough, wise, or agile.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kestral posted:

For the majority of the 5e leveling curve, the "break the glass and go all out" trigger for rogues and fighters is drinking the Good Potions and then obliterating the encounter, plus the aforementioned Action Surge. Consumables and Weird Trick items are meant for those classes, and it's a failing of the (very bad) 5e Player's Handbook and (somewhat less bad) DMG that it doesn't call this out explicitly in big bold capital letters.

Is this even intended, at all? And what's stopping the casters from using those consumables to do the same thing?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Does the 5e DMG give an expected potions or loot per level system?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Terrible Opinions posted:

You know it doesn't, that snacks of 4e and thus must be rigorously avoided.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is this even intended, at all? And what's stopping the casters from using those consumables to do the same thing?

Well the effects of those potions probably synergize better with physical classes, as Potion of Giant Strength or Potion of Growth can be very strong in the hands of a class that gets mileage out of physical attacks, a Potion of Invincibility would be best put on someone tanking damage from the front, and a Potion of Haste's bonus action economy benefit is limited to non-casting actions.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Terrible Opinions posted:

5e just... doesn't give information like that and it's real annoying because they're trying really hard to pass the buck to your gm but not giving any guidance or indication that much thought was put into the system.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yeah that's D&D5e for you

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Over the Edge comes to mind. More recently, FATE. In my opinion, Gumshoe games don’t have ability scores but there’s a decent argument that some of the General skills are the ability scores in disguise you mention.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Silver2195 posted:

Strike! and ICON, I guess, are both close to the D&D-sphere and don't use ability scores at all. Practically speaking, ability scores make sense as a check against excessive multiclassing; 4e is pretty mechanically dense and has a robust multiclassing system to justify ability scores existence, Strike! just doesn't allow it at all, and ICON expects if not outright requires you to go hog-wild with mixing classes and jobs.

On the other hand, with 5e you could probably replace just about every instance of "ability modifier" with "proficiency bonus" and the game probably works better for it. Off hand, at minimum you'd make most PCs more consistent in their proficient knowledge skills, reduce the amount of random competency at untrained skills in your good stat, and also solve the problem weak saves never scaling.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nessus posted:

How tae gently caress do you roll a d24? Asking the computer to do it doesn’t count

They do make d24's you know

lexxyth posted:

The DCC dice sets come with an actual d24, as well as the other unusual dice https://goodman-games.com/store/product-category/dice/

Edit: “Set includes a D3, D5, D7, D14, D16, D24 and D30.”

Edit2: I’ve also seen an actual d100 that works, but it does roll for a bit longer than usual.

Yeah I think I've got one of those true d100's lying around(think it was part of that big pile of dice I got gifted after most of my original dice collection got stolen back in 2018)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ominous Jazz posted:

5e just... doesn't give information like that and it's real annoying because they're trying really hard to pass the buck to your gm but not giving any guidance or indication that much thought was put into the system.

So it's not intended, and effectively just another case of 'the system is FINE as long as you use my extensive houserules that are unrecognisable to how one would reasonably expect the game to be played based on its actual rules'.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
are you guys getting a bunch of game shops opening up in your dead malls? one near me has a tabletop spot right across from one that only does Japanese card games

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
"Death to ability scores" came from the fact that ability scores were actively detrimental to character building in the context of combat and completely redundant with the skills system outside of combat.

They should have just had scaling primary, secondary, and maybe tertiary bonus values: attack rolls and damage get +primary, most riders get +secondary, and maybe a few things get +tertiary or just have the power spell out the correct number.

Outside of combat, ability scores are a perfectly cromulent system, and so are skills, but you don't need both. You never needed both and having both in the same game just came from the same old school of design that had you rolling on a table to determine what die to roll to set the target for a d20 roll. Whatever the opposite of elegant design is.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

John Romero posted:

are you guys getting a bunch of game shops opening up in your dead malls? one near me has a tabletop spot right across from one that only does Japanese card games

We had a couple new ones open up in some strip malls, one of them being the second or third location for the owners. I'm in a college town so that may play into things but I take it as an overall good sign.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

EverettLO posted:

If you remember, can you post what that was? I am interested.

I honestly can't. I think it may have been Game Studies Study Buddies https://rangedtouch.com/game-studies-study-buddies/, but I went searching through their episode records and nothing rings a bell. It may have been on a topic discussing The Forge, but it may not have been. Or a completely different podcast altogether. Sorry for not being more help. :(

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jimbozig posted:

"Death to ability scores" came from the fact that ability scores were actively detrimental to character building in the context of combat and completely redundant with the skills system outside of combat.

They should have just had scaling primary, secondary, and maybe tertiary bonus values: attack rolls and damage get +primary, most riders get +secondary, and maybe a few things get +tertiary or just have the power spell out the correct number.

Outside of combat, ability scores are a perfectly cromulent system, and so are skills, but you don't need both. You never needed both and having both in the same game just came from the same old school of design that had you rolling on a table to determine what die to roll to set the target for a d20 roll. Whatever the opposite of elegant design is.

I do kinda think it's somewhat reasonable to differentiate a sort of baseline of potential and the various things a person can know in a system. But I think having both things just kinda constantly go up makes them somewhat redundant. But then i think somewhat simulative aspects of RPGs get short shift on this forum.

I think GURPS's voluminous skill list is a really useful way of getting at what a character can and can't do in a greater sense that often more vague, more 'elegant' lists often miss.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Silver2195 posted:

Others have listed some other systems that don't have ability scores, but also maybe most games gave ability scores because D&D has ability scores. We're not looking for emulation, we're looking at what D&D does and how D&D could do it better.

On a phone so I'm just going to paste something I posted in an paper thread:

In 5e you pick a <e: heritage now>, a class, a background, and an archetype, <e: and a starting feat now>, that's a huge range of interactions to determine your to-hit, damage, saves, AC, initiative, and very good/good/OK/bad skills. Ability scores actually interfere with this. I've picked a warlock with the academic background and chosen arcana as a proficient skill, why do I also need to put points into intelligence to get my +5 to Know Demon Stuff? I've already picked Know Demon Stuff three times!

Other systems or versions of D&D vary. And in some systems ability scores are good! STA uses them very effectively, but it's a classless point buy system built around ability scores/skills/focuses/drives dealies.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 29, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Panzeh posted:

I do kinda think it's somewhat reasonable to differentiate a sort of baseline of potential and the various things a person can know in a system. But I think having both things just kinda constantly go up makes them somewhat redundant. But then i think somewhat simulative aspects of RPGs get short shift on this forum.

I think GURPS's voluminous skill list is a really useful way of getting at what a character can and can't do in a greater sense that often more vague, more 'elegant' lists often miss.
Same answer. In gurps your character is built entirely from individually purchased abilities. In D&D your character is built from a huge list of assorted package deals. With the way D&D customises your guy, requiring a weird little point buy game at character creation detracts from the advantages of the bits D&D does well.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 29, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're casting spells instead

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Splicer posted:

Same answer. In gurps your character is built entirely from individually purchased abilities. In D&D your character is built from a huge list of assorted package deals. With the way D&D customises your guy, requiring a weird little point buy game at character creation detracts from the advantages of the bits D&D does well.

And that is pretty true- if you're dumping people with a package deal anyway, it is kinda weird to have this thing on top of it.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

John Romero posted:

Man. I wish. I’d kill for some boutique shops, especially a high end collectibles store. Every used section of every shop is the same 30 game in poo poo condition. Where’s my rare shop?

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

John Romero posted:

Yeah. We've always had 3 stable ones within a 30 minute drive but have had a few opening over the past few years. At least one was someone who got into reselling during COVID who opened a physical store after receiving an inheritance.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Silver2195 posted:

As a matter of genre emulation, I would expect a mecha RPG to have stats for pilots along the lines of “Reflexes,” “Technical Knowledge,” “Hot-Bloodedness,” and maybe some sort of stat for Newtype/Geass powers. How does LANCER model those things?

Edit: I guess the mech pilot skills Runa mentions would cover some of those, although they mostly seem like subsets of technical knowledge.

LANCER isn't a Gundam RPG, it's an Armored Core RPG.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Panzeh posted:

And that is pretty true- if you're dumping people with a package deal anyway, it is kinda weird to have this thing on top of it.

I can see this, although I feel like the logical conclusion of this is likely to be reinventing ability scores in the guise of classes or subclasses. (E.g., all Warriors are strong, but they come in six types: Fighters are even stronger, Swashbucklers are also dexterous, Barbarians are also tough, MacGuyvers are also intelligent, Rangers are also wise, and Warlords are also charismatic.) Though maybe that’s a pro rather than a con.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ah, a mecha game in the sense that it has giant robot fights, not in the sense that it has masked antiheroes and idealistic princesses and so forth.

Now I’m wondering if there’s a mecha game that does lean into those kinds of tropes. I assume someone has made one, although most of the mecha RPGs I’m familiar with seem to draw on Evangelion rather than Gundam for some reason (often with rather tasteless results).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Ah, a mecha game in the sense that it has giant robot fights, not in the sense that it has masked antiheroes and idealistic princesses and so forth.

Now I’m wondering if there’s a mecha game that does lean into those kinds of tropes. I assume someone has made one, although most of the mecha RPGs I’m familiar with seem to draw on Evangelion rather than Gundam for some reason (often with rather tasteless results).

Battle Century G

E: actually that's more close to super robot series gaogaigar and getter than real robot series like gundam

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
star light brigade

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd put it closer to like Front Mission. Which was, you know, a grid based mecha strategy rpg

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Plutonis posted:

I'd put it closer to like Front Mission. Which was, you know, a grid based mecha strategy rpg

Front Mission tech is way too tame to match up with LANCER, and even with the advantage of being a turn-based game the mechs in it aren't nearly mobile enough.

also you can literally ask the dev on discord what his influences are lol

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

A real Gundam RPG, and I say this with love in my heart for Gundam, would need rules for monologuing someone to death. LANCER is more like a magical girl or other type of Super Sentai RPG, where after the transformation sequence mounting the mech, you can get cool, fantastical abilities beyond just 'fly, gun, laser, missile & sword'. And pilots don't usually die, even if they are defeated in a fight.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also you can literally ask the dev on discord what his influences are lol

I believe it spells it out in the (free) book as well. But the only influence I remember listed is d&d 4e.

EDIT: I think I was hallucinating that actually. Maybe it was twitter posts I was thinking of?

Griddle of Love fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Battle Century G

E: actually that's more close to super robot series gaogaigar and getter than real robot series like gundam

It's both because BCG is the unofficial Super Robot Wars RPG. It's explicitly designed so that it can mechanically support everything from one end to the other of the real/super robot scale, fighting alongside each other and against enemies from their respective genres.

You can also just reflavour everything to only do one of those genres if you really want to.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 29, 2023