Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Petey posted:

(..)
greetings, i attended family holiday gatherings masked where it turns out lots of people were symptomatic and/or popped poz next day, and have so far not tested positive or developed symptoms myself. what is the german word for "i feel validated in my decision to mask and but mostly concerned about their wellbeing"

Bittersüß (literally bittersweet) maybe (yeah, yeah, I know you aren't actually asking...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Another friend who has been living like it's 2019 just tested positive for covid for the first time in years. This last week she's been working at one of the biggest festivals in the entire country and was supposed to be doing lots of tent shows and DJ sets which will have to be cancelled and she's super annoyed at the "unfortunate timing", and a whole lot of people are commenting on her post about how "unfair" it is. LOL the covid virion doesn't understand your concept of 'fairness'

Update: even though my friend is at a music festival in regional Queensland (pretty much Australia's Florida and Texas all rolled into one) they got a prescription for pax from their GP back in Melbourne and the festival has an onsite pharmacy which was able to fulfill their script right away

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Update: even though my friend is at a music festival in regional Queensland (pretty much Australia's Florida and Texas all rolled into one) they got a prescription for pax from their GP back in Melbourne and the festival has an onsite pharmacy which was able to fulfill their script right away

is this a sign of how connected your friend/the festival runners are or a sign that all your pax is about to expire so let’s hand it out like candy

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wait like a real pharmacy at a festival? I thought that was just a slang for something else

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
q: what is the best deal on antigens these days? doesn't seem like costco is selling them anymore. i have a stockpile from my 4/month insurance provided; asking for family out of state.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Petey posted:

q: what is the best deal on antigens these days? doesn't seem like costco is selling them anymore. i have a stockpile from my 4/month insurance provided; asking for family out of state.

Have they already done the four free government ones from November? https://www.covid.gov/tools-and-resources/resources/tests

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
seeing a lot of 🤒 in the group slack!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

fosborb posted:

seeing a lot of 🤒 in the group slack!

well it's also the Friday before a three day weekend

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DominoKitten posted:

Have they already done the four free government ones from November? https://www.covid.gov/tools-and-resources/resources/tests

To be clear for anyone having already ordered 4 in September, it is 8 total.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

well it's also the Friday before a three day weekend

hmmm good point. time to fire a bunch of people

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

Gunshow Poophole posted:

poster is just asking how best to preserve pax in a resilient way they're not... prepping

keep it in the fridge and then if fridge fails in a waterproof bag under a rock in a river, op

or just on the floor in a cellar or basement, again, sealed in a waterproof bag and not in the sun

Wait, are you supposed to refrigerate Paxlovid?? gently caress, I just have my backup boxes in a drawer in a cool closet. Did I waste my test2treat uses?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Pingui posted:

Just for the headline:

SardonicTyrant posted:

Like a virgin, coughing for the very first time.
Like a virgin, got my RAT test, bright red line.

[Pestilence] I’m no longer a COVID virgin, but I’m trying to stay positive!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BusError posted:

Wait, are you supposed to refrigerate Paxlovid?? gently caress, I just have my backup boxes in a drawer in a cool closet. Did I waste my test2treat uses?

it'll be fine, it's not cold chain mandated so just keep it stably at or below room temperature in the dark.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Nah I think keeping them cool is just a "going the extra mile" thing. We only know the shelf life of pax for as long as they've let a sample sit around, which is hard for a brand new chemical like the active ingredient in pax. There's no reason to assume it'll decay to nothing in a year on a shelf at room temp, but we can't say for certain it won't happen in five, because we just don't know. In general, keeping it cool should lengthen the shelf life of any drug, but a cool dry place should be fine.

Like, all my pax is just under my kitchen sink.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Kragger99 posted:

[Pestilence] I’m no longer a COVID virgin, but I’m trying to stay positive!

It really should be an "and", not a "but".

Baddog
May 12, 2001

BusError posted:

No, it's supposed to be stored at room temp. 60s, 70s.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

The thing we don't even know if paxlovid will actually even expire. Like the only way we know the expiration dates for other medications is we just leave a pile of them on a lab shelf and take some of them out every few months and test the potency for years (or up until the testing grant ends)

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Drug expiration, lmao.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Ah ok, that's a relief, thanks! I'm doing my best not to need it at all, but having that backstop there if I do is a big weight off my mind.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
My guess is you'll end up using it long before it loses potency

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oracle posted:

is this a sign of how connected your friend/the festival runners are or a sign that all your pax is about to expire so let’s hand it out like candy

NeonPunk posted:

Wait like a real pharmacy at a festival? I thought that was just a slang for something else

I just googled it and it's a folk music festival which regularly gets over 125,000 attendees, and they have a 24/7 medical centre on site as well as ambulance and police. A very large percentage of the attendees would be Gen-X or boomers so the average age would be pretty high

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I just googled it and it's a folk music festival which regularly gets over 125,000 attendees, and they have a 24/7 medical centre on site as well as ambulance and police. A very large percentage of the attendees would be Gen-X or boomers so the average age would be pretty high

Okay so it's not a pharmacy, but a first aid center.

So it's like having anti snake venom on hand kind of thing, but for Paxlovid and covid instead?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I don't know what is happening in Ireland during Christmas, but I recall their extremely explosive numbers from other years.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/1228/1423987-flu-increase/ posted:

'Very steep' rise in flu and Covid cases sees jump in hospitalisations

The HSE has said a "very steep" rise in flu and Covid cases has caused a jump in hospital admissions.

The Health Service Executive is seeing an increase in people with respiratory illnesses attending emergency departments.

"The rise in flu and Covid infection is very steep and we would urge the public to attend the emergency department only for major health emergencies," the HSE said.

This week saw 538 people with flu and 282 with Covid attend emergency rooms - an increase from 312 (flu) and 144 (Covid) the previous week.
(..)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

Okay so it's not a pharmacy, but a first aid center.

So it's like having anti snake venom on hand kind of thing, but for Paxlovid and covid instead?

It sounds like they're a general medical centre. If they're fulfilling scripts and handing out meds they're a pharmacy :shrug:

E: pax is gatekept a lot harder here in Australia, people under 50 can only access it if they're seriously immunocompromised and people 50-70 can access it if they have "additional risk factors". You can't just walk into a first aid tent and ask for it
https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/treatments/eligibility

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Dec 29, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It sounds like they're a general medical centre. If they're fulfilling scripts and handing out meds they're a pharmacy :shrug:

E: pax is gatekept a lot harder here in Australia, people under 50 can only access it if they're seriously immunocompromised and people 50-70 can access it if they have "additional risk factors". You can't just walk into a first aid tent and ask for it
https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/treatments/eligibility

I dunno. Something doesn't add up. I sincerely doubt that a first aid center at a music festival has a fully stocked pharmacy where you can refill your statins or get your Wegovy

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’m sure this is common throughout the country but people are dropping like flies with fever and illness at our week long family gathering. we all came in out of town wearing masks but there were times people were not obviously. my family are all on the Swiss cheese approach(mask, sprays, probiotics, air filter , vax)compared to others so we’ll see how it goes. sister, brothers family, and mom are all ill now…

not to mention my father has serious long covid mobility issues this is going great. fly out tomorrow so can’t wait to hear all the coughing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

I dunno. Something doesn't add up. I sincerely doubt that a first aid center at a music festival has a fully stocked pharmacy where you can refill your statins or get your Wegovy

Yeah I'm guessing it's mostly a first aid centre but it has some extended medical capabilities. A lot of the attendees are going to be middleaged/old hippies and a bunch of them will be somewhat wealthy so I'm sure they've set up something to deal with the myriad problems they no doubt experience every year

Burning Man also has a medical center with a volunteer team of medical staff (paramedics, RNS and MDs etc) and something called the Rampart clinic which they call a "hospital" (scare quotes are theirs)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I felt the flu or whatever trying to get me twice now this week but my flu vaxxed body fought it off like its nothing. and it feels good to feel the body's response, folks

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
gettin' Absolutely Maxx Titered these next two weeks in advance of a trip

first up: oral typhoid! a lil rumbly in my tumbly. c'mon u t-cells!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
my girlfriend's nephew, an adorable 8 month old whose pharmacist mom has not had him vaccinated, just tested positive; likely exposed at the large family party the gf and i skipped because it was a superspreader last year. very hosed!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Petey posted:

my girlfriend's nephew, an adorable 8 month old whose pharmacist mom has not had him vaccinated, just tested positive; likely exposed at the large family party the gf and i skipped because it was a superspreader last year. very hosed!

I don't know if you can give a covid vaccine to an infant

e: wait that guidance changed. now it's 6mo+

Iverron
May 13, 2012

lotta debilitating sinus infections and allergies and colds around rn lol lmao

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Something must be going around

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Petey posted:

Wow that must be a really tall 8mo old if they could infect an adult.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1740751783721599406

Good thing we had a very low % of folks who even bothered getting the XBB boosters!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
up Up UP

Still accelerating

now the fourth largest wave

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

I have seen so many studies with the same results, all having worse results for the COVID cohort, but inside the confidence interval.

Look I can't exclude, with 95% confidence, that being hospitalized with a 5.56 gsw to the chest is worse than a 9mm gsw to the chest so that means automatic rifles are no more deadly than pistols.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Petey posted:

:(

Steve Yun posted:

up Up UP

Still accelerating

now the fourth largest wave

Man the area under the curve for 2022-2023 is really loving grim.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1740751783721599406

Good thing we had a very low % of folks who even bothered getting the XBB boosters!

loving brutal, I'm glad I held out for the updated novavax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Jort Fortress posted:

My Grandma was 91 and had Parkinson's for the last 2 years. She broke her hip back in September and had to temporarily stay in a nursing home to complete daily PT and be observed. She caught COVID there (first time) and a month later was completely demented and unintelligible. They did an MRI in Nov. and discovered a brain bleed. She finally passed away on Xmas Eve.

Granted, she had Parkinsons. But within 2 months of COVID she essentially lost her mind and died.

This is loving awful. I’m so sorry for your lose.

It’s so disastrous how frequently we’ve heard from folks that their relative needing to go to the hospital was a death sentence