Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what a stingy bastard lol

says everything you need to know about her mindset that she could convince herself that that's anything but an insult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
posing in front of a hospital that people have lost their lives in as a direct consequence of how you've voted to show everyone what a good egg you are being for christmas

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's even funnier when you know she works in the Department for Leveling Up.

You want a livable wage and proper housing?
After what we gave you, not one but TWO boxes of chocolate.
I took time out of my holidays to get chauffeur driven to deliver those, and thats how you repay us.
Ungrateful gets.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tories really do live in a deranged loving universe of their own creation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I blame the parents.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
One of the keys to understanding all kinds of dynamics related to Israel in recent history is realizing that much of the right-wing thinking surrounding the country, both internal and external, is just the inverse of antisemitism, and thus carries with it the implications of antisemitic thinking.

For instance, the idea that Jews cannot safely live in countries outside of Israel, which implies that Jews cannot belong in or assimilate into any other country, and thus that all Jews outside of Israel are just temporarily embarrassed Israelis. Another aspect of this that you see among some gentile right wingers is that Jews are exceptionally smart and talented, which ties into the idea that Jews control the media, culture, government, etc.

Once you realize this, it's easy to understand why the Israeli right wing is so comfortable with deeply antisemitic groups like Trumpets Republicans or Viktor Orban's political party and vice versa.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They chocolates are going on her expenses and you're all whining because she chose to save the tax payers some money?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
ugh talking about tory scumbags, Ruth Davidson on The Celebrity Chase :barf:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I just don't watch TV anymore. That way I don't have to pay a license fee to see some gurning MP trying to rehabilitate themselves in front of the nation.

Though again TV licensing tried to convince me I need a license to watch YouTube and Amazon prime. loving liars.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

MeinPanzer posted:

One of the keys to understanding all kinds of dynamics related to Israel in recent history is realizing that much of the right-wing thinking surrounding the country, both internal and external, is just the inverse of antisemitism, and thus carries with it the implications of antisemitic thinking.

For instance, the idea that Jews cannot safely live in countries outside of Israel, which implies that Jews cannot belong in or assimilate into any other country, and thus that all Jews outside of Israel are just temporarily embarrassed Israelis. Another aspect of this that you see among some gentile right wingers is that Jews are exceptionally smart and talented, which ties into the idea that Jews control the media, culture, government, etc.

Once you realize this, it's easy to understand why the Israeli right wing is so comfortable with deeply antisemitic groups like Trumpets Republicans or Viktor Orban's political party and vice versa.

I agree with a lot of this, but you have to understand that Jews legitimately don't think they can assimilate into non-israrli society well enough to not be genocided for good reason. There are people still alive whose families were very well assimilated in Germany before WW2. My grandfather's family was very well assimilated in their own country and it didn't help at all when the fash decided they need a scapegoat.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mebh posted:

Though again TV licensing tried to convince me I need a license to watch YouTube and Amazon prime. loving liars.

Was this a general thing, or did someone pick on you in particular?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mebh posted:

I think if you watch anything live, like the football or something that's on prime, you do indeed need the license.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, it's anything being streamed live that's also on TV,
Things being streamed live as if they where a TV show (So the live sports and so on),
Any broadcast TV channel (Not just the BBC) and the iPlayer.

I have enough threatening letters to wallpaper my downstairs loo from the licensing people.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
my first year of uni the TV licence people sent out the same “we’ve detected you watching TV without a licence” to literally every student in my ~400 person halls, you could see them in everyone’s pigeonhole

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
aunty beeb has detector vans for to detect when you haven't washed your willy properly!!!!!!!!!! :nono:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

crispix posted:

aunty beeb has detector vans for to detect when you haven't washed your willy properly!!!!!!!!!! :nono:

Thats why there's a constant siren going off everywhere I go.
Silent Hill style.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Vyv, eat the telly!

(he's been waiting for this)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I watched Big Fat Quiz yesterday. In the first few minutes they managed to make a non-critical reference to GB news, Ayoade made a joke about cancellation and Carr did his usual 'ooh, you delicate snowflakes better watch out!'

I was trying my hardest not to be the Insufferable Humourless Leftie because the wife wanted to watch it, but it was just absolute arsewater.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
jimmy carr is a total oval office

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mebh posted:

I just don't watch TV anymore. That way I don't have to pay a license fee to see some gurning MP trying to rehabilitate themselves in front of the nation.

Had them visit twice, asked what they wanted through the open window and just closed it as soon as they mentioned TV... don't engage.

If a TV service streams live and you watch it, you need a licence.

You don't need one for Twitch or YT unless the streamer is viewing Live Broadcast content on their stream.

poo poo is vague: live streams that don’t come from a body that resembles a “television programme service” don't need a TV licence for them. :suicide:

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Had a visit from them many years ago, when I was living in student halls. I had a license (my parents bought it for me), but the guy in the next room hadn't. I showed it to them, and they left me alone. Then I passed it along through the window to the guy next door. He waved it in their direction, and they left him alone, too.

Since then, I've usually received an annual threatening letter wherever I live, asking me to let me know if I don't have a TV. Since I don't have one, I don't see the point of inconveniencing myself on their behalf. To date, they haven't tried breaking my door down.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
there are a lot of videos of this on youtube because the sovereign citizens really don't want to pay TV licence :/

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

You can stop TV licensing ringing your doorbell for two years by filling out an online declaration form. There's no requirement to use your own name, and I last signed mine with Prof F.U.CKoff and they left me alone for 2 years, while getting an amusing confirmation letter through the post.

You can also tell inspectors to their face that you are removing their company's and any agents' implied right of access to your property, tell them that you are recording this (lie if need be) and they'll stop knocking.

My last declaration ran out a few years ago, so every few weeks I have a yellow jacketed inspector stand menacingly outside my door, handwrite the time and date of his visit on a threatening form letter and post that through my letterbox. That's all they can do to me now.

I haven't watched live TV for many years, and I stopped watching iPlayer when you needed a license for that out of principle. If there's anything I want to watch from the BBC, I'll torrent it instead.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 29, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

happyhippy posted:

Silent Hill style.

Well that's the debate, isn't it. Risk the 'Unwashed Willy' vans or get circumcised.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

UK ministers asked to explain fourth delay to Covid wine cellar report

quote:

Ministers have been asked to explain why a report on the UK government’s consumption of wine during the Covid pandemic has been delayed four times over the last year.

Labour said the Foreign Office, which holds the government’s wine collection, should publish the data on its stocks for 2020 to 2022 immediately, as the delay was causing suspicion about how much had been used.

The stock list was originally meant to be published in “early 2023”, was subsequently scheduled for July and then ministers later said it would appear in the autumn.

The last update was from Andrew Mitchell, a Foreign Office minister, who answered a parliamentary question saying it would be published “before the Christmas recess” – but it never materialised by the end of the parliamentary term.

The delays mean it is now two and a half years since the last official statement on the “usage, value, costs and stock levels of the wine cellar” was made in July 2021.

The yet-to-be-published data should cover the period March 2020 to March 2022 – the whole course of the pandemic. Given the cellar is supposed to be used only “to provide guests of the government, from home and overseas, with wines of appropriate quality at reasonable cost”, the report would be expected to show a decline in consumption, given the curbs on indoor gatherings and international travel caused by the Covid pandemic.

:allears:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

there are a lot of videos of this on youtube because the sovereign citizens really don't want to pay TV licence :/

No idea about sovereign citizens but i don't watch any tv channels or any live or recorded content by them, i'm a happy gamer and they can just bugger off. :)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sorry if I started a TV license derail, I was just asking because Finland finally got rid of it and the inspector nonsense some years a decade ago :corsair: and it's just a regular tax now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Here in Ireland they still have it, and they got you coming every way.

quote:

If you have a TV, you must have a TV licence. This applies even if the TV is broken, as it is capable of being fixed. If you have other equipment capable of receiving TV signals (for example by using an aerial, satellite dish or cable), you must also have a TV licence.

Though a lot are not paying it in protest due to the Ryan Tubridy RTE payment scandal.
Leading to it down by 61 million euros this year.
So yeah, they are panicing and becoming more strict about prosecutions.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
if you can afford a tv you have to have a tv license cos you could buy a tv

if you have a space big enough for a telly - license

sofa? - license

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and you have to watch adverts on RTE :manning:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm amazed that the TV license lasted this long past the advent of Sky. You had to pay for the installation of the dish and a monthly charge for the upkeep of the system, and channels still had adverts because you weren't actually funding any of them with your sub, but for some reason you still had to pay for a full TV license? You'd think that would have raised some eyebrows, but the British have the cultural inertia of a mountain being raised through continental drift.

I did look into getting a license for my new place, but the only way to pay the actual price was to pay the year in full - paying quarterly incurs a 5% surcharge, and paying monthly they now charge you over £30 a month to begin with to get you six months ahead on the license, just in case you can't pay it later on but still want to watch TV, which is definitely their call to make about your finances.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Though a lot are not paying it in protest due to the Ryan Tubridy RTE payment scandal.

I never paid ours when it still existed, either, but now it's just a bit in my normal taxes and :shrug: so I guess mission accomplished? The ridiculous business with the inspectors etc. was just silly, thankfully I never encountered one in the wild.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Sorry if I started a TV license derail, I was just asking because Finland finally got rid of it and the inspector nonsense some years a decade ago :corsair: and it's just a regular tax now.

Nowt like a good session of complaining to round the year off. :thumbsup:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

sofa? - license

happyhippy posted:

quote:

If you have a TV, you must have a TV licence. This applies even if the TV is broken, as it is capable of being fixed. If you have other equipment capable of receiving TV signals (for example by using an aerial, satellite dish or cable), you must also have a TV licence.
John Logie Baird made a receiver out of random radio parts, so if you have anything in your house, you must also have a TV licence.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
TV licence chat:
I do pay mine, not a hill I want to die on.
I thought I'd look up the stat about more women being incarcerated for non-payment of tv licence than men.
This is quite an interesting read - it starts by implying (IMO) that it isn't true (which I think is the case for actual imprisonment), but 76% of convictions were women.

quote:

In 2017, a gender disparity report from TV Licensing said the reasons more women are prosecuted than men could include the number of households without an adult male, more women being home during the day to answer the door to a TV Licensing enquiry officer and women being more likely to engage positively with them.

However, Ministry of Justice statistics for England and Wales show that during 2020 and 2021, no convictions resulted in prison sentences, meaning no women - or men - were jailed. During 2019, two or fewer people were sent to prison (the exact number is not given in the statistics to protect against personal identification), none of whom were women.

https://fullfact.org/news/liz-truss-tv-licence-prison/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

and you have to watch adverts on RTE :manning:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is RTÉ Advertising Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Close Your Eyes Haha

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

happyhippy posted:

Silent Hill style.

If your wang has a pyramid head I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Liz Truss unveils resignation honours list

quote:

Britain's shortest-serving prime minister Liz Truss has unveiled her resignation honours list, sparking an angry backlash from some critics.

Ms Truss, who spent 49 days in office, nominated Conservative donor Jon Moynihan and ex-Vote Leave chief Matthew Elliott for seats in the Lords.

Ruth Porter, a former senior Truss aide, is also made a peer.

Outgoing PMs routinely recommend people for honours - but Rishi Sunak had faced calls to block Ms Truss's list.

Her nominations - which largely consist of political supporters and former aides - have been announced at the same time as the New Year Honours list, but Downing Street sources denied this was an attempt to limit coverage of Ms Truss's list.

I love our democracy :allears:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol it's entirely her cronies and also one elderly writer who's best known for the 1982 novel Lace

quote:

Her first novel Lace was published in 1982 by Simon & Schuster and was a huge bestseller, spending 13 weeks on the New York Times Best Seller list, reaching as high as No. 6. It became known as a 'bonkbuster' for its many explicit and often bizarre sex scenes. It was adapted into a 1980s US miniseries starring Phoebe Cates. It contains the infamous line: "Which one of you bitches is my mother?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Maybe that's why we're going through conservative PMs at a record rate, so they can stuff the lords.

Joke's on them, the Labour peers are even worse.