Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Poil posted:

Do not be UNPLEATHANT to Claire. :stare:

Never test Claire when it comes to the topic of burning things.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Portrait Of A Failed Business

How much do you want to bet that Mopey Pete saddled her with most of the day-to-day operations while he gets to be all smug doing nothing in the office while claiming he's the general manager keeping the business going?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Batiuk/whomever is unintentionally funny with this ongoing bit where almost everything the blonde woman has been saying is a variation of, "Let me out of this greasy pizza hell" and everyone around her in the strip thinks it's heartwarming. I guess the residents hear the comments and assume that she'll eventually lose the will to live as she continues to live in Ohio/Westview.

If they really wanted her to cease existing, just invite Mindy to be awarded for being the best ~women~ pizza maker or something. Then two old men will rise up and start a huge fight to make the event about themselves and slowly push Mindy out of her own award ceremony lol

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I'm guessing Copper Ma's "the real fight STARTS NOW" masterplan is to trick Planck to come all the way out to the middle of nowhere so he won't make it in time for their next match? Knowing him, he's probably got Maggie and baby tied up somewhere.

Doomykins posted:

I don't think I'm ready for how hard Planck is about to be owned. :ohdear:

Nothing like a full-throated NuTrail. The thought bubble to illustrate a fish hook, in case the reader was unfamiliar. The artist giving up: Cherry has Popeye arms, Mark's hand has doubled in length nightmarishly on an arm that can't possibly line up with his posture, literally a prop from off camera. I'm not sure why Jules goes for distance shots when she refuses to detail them. Looking at that those panel 1 and panel 2 hands she refuses to detail close ups too so oh well. The absurdly stupid writing: Mark opened a retreat for men in martial trouble to go fishing and is surprised that they had emotional problems, so in his own words he blew them off. What a guy.

And like the little corner guy in a Kelly from the Onion always the loving narration box.

NuTrail and Randy's Popeye are somewhat interesting to me, in that both authors thought that the best way to modernize an old IP was to give their female leads their own adventures. I can get their reasoning, in that they don't just want the characters to be defined as The Girlfriend/Wife, but both Jules and Randy go about it in a way that is somehow more misogynistic. Cherry and Olive don't even feel like they're part of the main cast at all, and this strip where Cherry runs into Mark just highlights how they have nothing to do with each other at all.

It's less the women getting their own adventures, and more that they're basically told to stay in their own lane.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

This is a woman who intensely regrets not smuggling the grenade launcher into the country with her.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think Copper can tell that Planck would spend an entire day traveling back to his hometown on the mere suggestion that Maggie wants to see him and he just faked the whole thing, asking Maggie's mom to pass along the second part of the meet up after watching Planck spend 5 hours waiting. As fun as it is for Copper Ma to get owned Planck is an insane dim bulb about Maggie. :v:

The last run of Mandrake is questionable often but Lothar thrashing these dudes owns. Did he run ahead of a horse to throw a hook at the rider!? Badass. :allears:

amigolupus posted:

NuTrail and Randy's Popeye are somewhat interesting to me, in that both authors thought that the best way to modernize an old IP was to give their female leads their own adventures. I can get their reasoning, in that they don't just want the characters to be defined as The Girlfriend/Wife, but both Jules and Randy go about it in a way that is somehow more misogynistic. Cherry and Olive don't even feel like they're part of the main cast at all, and this strip where Cherry runs into Mark just highlights how they have nothing to do with each other at all.

It's less the women getting their own adventures, and more that they're basically told to stay in their own lane.

I think Randy and the partner artist/author who do Olive & Popeye had their heart in the right place but not the talent or story to pull it off, as well as the awkwardness of forcing their idea for a potentially interesting set of characters in a story onto the unrelated Popeye cast. Running their own independent creative work probably would've gone a lot better for testing the concept and refining it, but hey, how often do you get officially published? Of course now that published work is the final product, RIP.

Jules just magically does everything wrong every time, utterly fascinating. Giving Cherry her own stories may have seemed clever but the last few stories for Mark and Cherry have made it clear the author is out of ideas or interest in their work, and Cherry comes off worse since her stories were secondary to begin with. You could probably take most of the forgettable second-stringers out of Mark's story like Daggers and put Cherry in their place, then at least Cherry could enjoy equal footing while getting hit by the laundry list of problems in the main plots.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

rudy. we have to grow.

Cracking Open A One With The Cold Boys

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yvonmukluk posted:

Never test Claire when it comes to the topic of burning things.

Yup, she's got the Inner Firebug to lean upon

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (November 24-26, 2004)

In retrospect, I should have timed the next set of strips better, as starting tomorrow we're into a heartfelt Christmas tale. Oops! Just pretend I'm good at posting.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (November 24-26, 2004)

The bit about the shopping cart makes me think of that scene near the end of The Case of the Fire Inside from Bad Machinery.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Bardiche Hotel

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

so now that the mirakle method lawsuit is dropped Rene can come back and be a legal con man doing the self-help talks and they dropped his murder charges so he no longer needs to be on the run or do crimes

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (January 15-17, 1925)

Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga (January 17, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (March 30-April 1, 1922)

NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS: When sister started out in her up to date blanket cloth skirt with the fringed bottom it was very embarrassing to have Grandma act like that.

PATHETIC FIGURES: The youthful ball tossers whose game is broken up by a truck stalling right in the middle of the diamond.

Dok's Dippy Series of Asterisks (January 20, 1915)

Little Lefty (August 31-September 2, 1939)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 30, 2023

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

EasyEW posted:

NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS: When sister started out in her up to date blanket cloth skirt with the fringed bottom it was very embarrassing to have Grandma act like that.

Oh my gosh it's the forebear of the distressed jeans my generation found so fashionable :allears: used to hear horror stories of well-meaning grandmothers patching all the unseemly tears or asking why their grandkids were going around in ripped trousers

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Comic Strips 2024: Hahaha!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

As always, this comic rules. Love the weird assassin killing with magic rocks.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 26, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

excuse me zippy but the word "involved" wouldn't make its way into english until much later that century; and, even when it did, it simply meant to be covered in something. really taking me out of the story here.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Rose is Rose

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 01, 1961)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/29/03

Stephen Collins

Captain Tom was an elderly veteran who raised money for the NHS during the pandemic lockdown, and apparently after his death, his family started dipping into the charity money for themselves, including building a home spa.

Brenda Starr 5/5-7/52

Italian stereotypes ahoy!

Smokey Stover 11/26/58

Everyday Movies 2/5/37

"Miss Palmer, you're wanted on the 'phone and you might as well bring down your rent when you're coming."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/2-4/42

Closer Than We Think! 11/26/58

Looks almost like a mini RV.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

What the gently caress?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I know it’s premature, but:
BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Comic Strips 2024: The Weasel of Shattered Dreams

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

Captain Tom was an elderly veteran who raised money for the NHS during the pandemic lockdown, and apparently after his death, his family started dipping into the charity money for themselves, including building a home spa.

Closer Than We Think! 11/26/58

Looks almost like a mini RV.

Man, Captain Tom’s family really chowed down on the charity, didn’t they? They’re why we can’t have nice things. Also, thanks for “Closer Than We Think”, the visions of the future are always amazing. That proto-RV looks pretty cool.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Selachian posted:

:allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It really enhances that Scarlet to imagine the Three Stooges sound effects. :allears:

Kennel posted:

What the gently caress?

Pretty shocking to learn Holbrook was a plagirist all along!

Jucika "470 - Jucika Buys A Present"

I know it serves the jokes but drat can't believe Jucika Husband would stray a centimeter from a dame like Jucika.

"471 - Jucika And Gambling"

As the black cat symbolizes bad luck the pig symbolizes good luck.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I know it’s premature, but:
BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Comic Strips 2024: The Weasel of Shattered Dreams

But anyway, Mutts.

Sally Forth

Peanuts (December 31, 1976)

Crankshaft, featuring a well-deserved Pam Murdoch side-eye.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (June 27-29, 1939)

Thimble Theater (August 3, 1940)

Out Our Way (September 9-11, 1943)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, November 9-15, 1982

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Love the implication that Scarlet has been tripping these two rear end over teakettle for 5 minutes straight.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

EasyEW posted:

Buddy your kids are in deeply precarious financial situations that are requiring them to consistently take on debt and chase capital.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

:siren: Tomorrow's my last day of Nancyposting :siren:

Anyone is welcome to take it up in the new year. I need a break after 3 years of posting dailies!

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This title is deeply peculiar. :allears:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

:rip: Everybody

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

I know it's probably meant to come across as parents being proud, but Batiuk's condescension to anyone under the age of 45 makes the dad look like he's taking credit for his kids' accomplishments instead (as financially precarious said business ventures are, that is).

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I know it's probably meant to come across as parents being proud, but Batiuk's condescension to anyone under the age of 45 makes the dad look like he's taking credit for his kids' accomplishments instead (as financially precarious said business ventures are, that is).

Dad's just smug about getting free movies and pizza. Mom is filled with despair; the only other permissible emotion in the Shaftiverse.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

:rip: Everybody

Wow, that comic didn't run very long, but it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 30, 2023

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

What the gently caress?
This way they're technically not child soldiers.

F Minus

The bees may be leading you to your doom!

Mark Trail

The Real World: Santa Royale

The Phantom

Wait, I just remembered: Did she swear not to kill again or was that one of the possible-future stories?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

He's the old man in disguise!

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

"Well, I drank, then I passed out, then I drank again, and passed out again, then I drank some more, and now I don't feel so great what could be happening here?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

T
The Phantom

Wait, I just remembered: Did she swear not to kill again or was that one of the possible-future stories?

Knowing that he has a dull and meaningless job is revenge enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Savarna has vowed to never kill again, but that doesn't mean she can't slip one of the local battle monks a few bucks to do it for her. The Chinese get all pissed off and raze the monastery and the rest of the town for good measure. Kit Jr. feels bad about telling Savarna and becomes an accountant instead of Phantoming. Kadia kills herself. Heloise becomes a suburban mom. Diana leaves. Phantom has babies with Chatu. Moz reaches Batiuk levels of smugness.