Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Our back up linebacker did some kicking off against Atlanta because it was crazy rainy and they wanted an extra cover guy on the field - I guess to try and force a turnover with a shorter - less dependable kick off. It was odd but it wasn't a terrible thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

Ah no wonder. The 80's and 90's were full of people like Hester. You should know that Mel Gray was the original "why isn't this guy in the HoF he was soooo good at returning". It's because it's a fungible position that's often filled by people not good enough to play on either side of the football. Rattling off a series of players that were once returners and then proved to be more valuable probably won't convince you of that. There's a longer list than Steve Smith Jr. and Odell Beckham. Gale Sayers, Adoree Jackson, DeSean Jackson, Deion Sanders, Joey Galloway, Antonio Brown, Julian Edelman, Reggie Bush, Tyreek Hill, Patrick Peterson. It just keeps going on and on that good players are pulled from return duties for a reason and that a lot of these guys have comparable statistical averages, which is something you kind of have to do when comparing people who only briefly held a fungible position that they were deemed too valuable to waste on. He doesn't deserve to be in the HoF just as much as Cordarelle Patterson doesn't deserve it. I think that's reasonable.

Some of these are strange choices to make to argue that they would've been better than Hester. Odell Beckham averaged 6.9 yards per punt return and only returned a kick twice. Adoree Jackson averaged 8.4 yards per punt return and only returned kicks as a rookie -- also, 0 touchdowns.

Gale Sayers returned kicks and punts for nearly his entire career. Deion Sanders returned kicks until he was 25, and returned punts throughout his entire career. Joey Galloway has 4 total kick returns, and returned punts for a large chunk of his career. Antonio Brown returned punts for his entire career. Julian Edelman returned punts for his entire career. Reggie Bush returned punts for his entire time with New Orleans and only stopped once he went to other teams. Patrick Peterson had an amazing rookie season as a punt returner (15.9 yards/return, 4 TDs) and never matched his production again after that. He still returned punts until his age 28 season.

To be honest the pattern I'm seeing here is that they weren't pulled because they were too valuable at other positions, they were pulled because they were getting older and becoming more of an injury risk -- or else players like Beckham and Desean would've been pulled much earlier, since they were immediately effective as receivers. 34-year-old Joey Galloway returned punts for the Bucs for his first season there before losing half the season to injury.

Tyreek, Desean Jackson, and Steve Smith are the players here who actually support your argument (having very strong productivity as a punt returner early in their careers before being permanently relieved of duty).

Hester returned both punts and kicks for his entire career and rarely missed games with injury until he was 33, which essentially ended his career.

PFR links for reference:
edit: targeted the links to the actual return section for easier comparing:

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 30, 2023

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Black Sunshine posted:

Hell, whoever wins that contest should go to the Hall no matter what because that's the American dream, parking lot blowjobs

I'm out of the loop here is Cheesecake Factory surpassed Denny's for blowjobs/hour???

And yes Hester should be in the hall what the poo poo people

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I thought the dream was to eat cereal in my underwear alone. Am I doing this wrong?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39207197/colts-drew-ogletree-arrested-alleged-domestic-violence

edit:

Bellmaker posted:

And yes Hester should be in the hall what the poo poo people

Notice how it's only the idiots/usual suspects saying he shouldn't. No merit or substance or actual thought behind the "reasoning" why he shouldn't, either; weird huh

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Don’t owners go in the hall of fame? Who gives a poo poo. Let Devin in!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Hester dragged a team helmed by Rex Grossman to the Superbowl and even spotted his team a lead on the loving kickoff. He had plenty of other seasons that were good to serviceable but that feat alone commands more respect than folks want to give him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

bows1 posted:

Don’t owners go in the hall of fame? Who gives a poo poo. Let Devin in!

They do. There is a stonewall of reporters and Bill loving Belichick keeping Modell out lol

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Bellmaker posted:

I'm out of the loop here is Cheesecake Factory surpassed Denny's for blowjobs/hour???

I believe the standard is a million dicks per second, a record set by the Dallas Cowboys

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

SKULL.GIF posted:

lots of stuff

You and Mr. Nice are doing God's work :patriot:

Nervous posted:

I thought the dream was to eat cereal in my underwear alone. Am I doing this wrong?

You're missing out!

fartknocker posted:

I believe the standard is a million dicks per second, a record set by the Dallas Cowboys

Confirming this

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

fartknocker posted:

In a row?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
On the scale of getting a beej in the parking lot of a restaurant, where does Benihana land?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1740832387322519834

:whitewater:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you're telling me a ray fried this rice?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

NFC south, yikes.
https://twitter.com/nflonfox/status/1740802613636169978?s=46&t=tXZqz7ag4o4wHOrfeMA-gw

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

A big flaming stink posted:

Former Ravens RB Ray Rice will be the Legend of the Game.
All-Time Low will perform at halftime.
It's so deep, it's so wide
You're inside
Synchronicity

(nice try, Jeff)

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

NFC south, yikes.
NFC South, AFC South. Tales as old as time realignment

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Hachi machi

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The south will rise again! (3 to 5 years)

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Credit to Shaun Peyton for making me feel an inkling of sympathy for russell wilson, something I never thought would happen

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Danny LaFever posted:

Lions are in tough in Dallas.

They have to run the ball a lot and effectively. Goff can't become goof and get flustered by pressure and make horrible throws. Defense has to get pressure (which is no guarantee).

I'm 100% prepared for some awful officiating call too.

This is where my head's at, they'll have to play perfect ball to win in Dallas and that's tough for any team, but especially this Lions team. Like to imagine that I'll be content with any result that isn't a curbstomping of Detroit or something decided on a suspect call (I too remember that 2014-15 playoff game)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

C-Euro posted:

This is where my head's at, they'll have to play perfect ball to win in Dallas and that's tough for any team, but especially this Lions team. Like to imagine that I'll be content with any result that isn't a curbstomping of Detroit or something decided on a suspect call (I too remember that 2014-15 playoff game)

They need to run all day because Dallas have a soft little middle and not let Ceedee wreck their poo poo.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

BlindSite posted:

They need to run all day because Dallas have a soft little middle and not let Ceedee wreck their poo poo.

Considering how rough our secondary is, I think this could be a very good game for Ceedee

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Oh yeah for sure he's going to gently caress you guys up, but still. Don't leave him in iso and jam at the line etc etc.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A shootout where team A runs all over team B, while team B passes all over team A, could be a fun game. I'm still not used to thinking about Detroit as a team with a strong running game but this would be a good time to show everybody just that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AJA posted:

It's so deep, it's so wide
You're inside
Synchronicity

(nice try, Jeff)

NFC South, AFC South. Tales as old as time realignment
Hey, the AFCW is worse than the AFCS (by one game)!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

C-Euro posted:

A shootout where team A runs all over team B, while team B passes all over team A, could be a fun game. I'm still not used to thinking about Detroit as a team with a strong running game but this would be a good time to show everybody just that.

Lions vs Dolphins in the “we’re just happy to be here” Super Bowl will be a shootout for the ages

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
the nfc east, perfectly balanced, as is the way

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Despera posted:

Shaun Peyton

impressive

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I will perform a demon ritual for a Lions vs flacco browns in the Superbowl. God give us the best feel good matchup possible because Campbell deserves to go all the way with his team, and flacco dragging the literal corpse of an injured browns team to the Superbowl and showing off even more how loving stupid the Watson deal was would be amazing.

Also holy drat is the entire season just injury after injury, I can't understand how kickers and punters keep getting injured either

Big fan of current Detroit Coach Vs Former Detroit coach coaching in the Super Bowl.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

nachos posted:

Lions vs Dolphins in the “we’re just happy to be here” Super Bowl will be a shootout for the ages

Dan Campbell Vs Mike McDaniel is pure 80s sports movie casting

Pregame hype video of Campbell stuffing McDaniel into a locker and knocking his comedically large stack of plays out of his hand

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Despera posted:

Credit to Shaun Peyton for making me feel an inkling of sympathy for russell wilson, something I never thought would happen

https://x.com/ryenarussillo/status/1740832586895917172?s=46&t=K9tjcmN1RTpv2vGikVETsQ

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Phobeste posted:

impressive

If your name is Shawn or Payton you deserve to have the letters inside the name interchangeable

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's generally lovely the leverage teams have against players. It's a lovely thing to do to Russ.

But from a team perspective I don't think they're wrong to move on ASAP. And I think Denver fans are probably relieved that it's over

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AndrewP posted:

It's generally lovely the leverage teams have against players. It's a lovely thing to do to Russ.

But from a team perspective I don't think they're wrong to move on ASAP. And I think Denver fans are probably relieved that it's over

It's not remotely over for Denver fans, this signals they want to be real lovely for 2-5 years.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

I refuse. I think Payton made the right choice.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AndrewP posted:

Trying to pressure him into removing his guarantees is lovely but the team basically had no leverage at all which is why it didn’t work. Russ got paid a 50 million signing bonus for an extension and he wont play a single down on that extension. The Broncos got fleeced.

Bip Roberts posted:

It's not remotely over for Denver fans, this signals they want to be real lovely for 2-5 years.

They’re lovely now! Taking your medicine and moving on quickly from a bad trade seems like the opposite of committing to mediocrity.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Trying to pressure him into removing his guarantees is lovely but the team basically had no leverage at all which is why it didn’t work. Russ got paid a 50 million signing bonus for an extension that and he wont play a single down on that extension. The Broncos got fleeced.

Yeah if anything it backfired because Russ' 'quiet camp' prob made a huge fuss about something that happens to a ton of players every year. Teams often ask players to shift bonuses, take cuts, waive trade clauses, or just outright bench them before they hit qualifiers. We just don't really hear about them or care because they're not happening to well known players.

At the end of the day a contract is a contract which means that it's open up to legal interpretation, not that the player is guaranteed to go through the entire contract without any trouble. It sucks, I don't agree with it, but it's been the status quo in the NFL forever.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

My conspiracy theory now is Payton took those timeouts to purposefully lose and basically be out of the playoff race so he could excusably bench Russ

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Well that will be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

LiquidFriend posted:

Well that will be different.

A return to the Trevor Siemians and Drew Locks of the world is a difference, yes.