Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

AWWNAW posted:

was just thinking earlier today, 2024 is gonna be a blockbuster year for American suicide

hopefully not :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol that's ezra klein's wife

LMFAO

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rising wages is inflationary. Falling unemployment drives wages up. Increased demand or reduced supply or both pushes prices up. Nobody can really fully explain why prices would stabilize in an environment of full employment.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

DickParasite posted:

I remember when pundits were deeply concerned about people killing themselves during the Covid lockdowns and then, whoops, it turns out the expanded unemployment, eviction moratoriums, and stimulus checks actually caused suicides to drop:

interesting that the increase is driven entirely by men, women seem unaffected

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skooma512 posted:

I heard rumblings of PPP fraud investigations. A poor masquerading as bourgeoise and taking their money is exactly who I'd expect to be the sacrificial lamb (singular) to placate the public. But anyway, no student loan forgiveness we can't have that kind of moral hazard.

They're never going to prosecute more than a handful of fraud cases for PPP, but you actually did need to be operating as a business prior to (I think?) March of 2020. That was pretty much the only thing they checked thoroughly before handing out free cash.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

shrike82 posted:

dudes rock

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Also, I know a (very poor) 1099 guy who got scrutinized and hounded for over a year with his PPP loans, although they were eventually forgiven so all's well that ends well I guess.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

shrike82 posted:

iirc, men use guns to kill themselves more than any other method, and women tend to talk about feeling suicidal more than men do, so both probably contribute to the differential.

also, women are often caregivers & that might further deter them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

men use guns to kill themselves

This is the reason, guns have a higher success rate and that’s what men use. Other methods are less immediate which is time to change one’s mind and get help.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wonder what happens in societies when large portions of the populace lose hope.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Anyway america #1 liberal democracy is ftw

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

yep. GOD, guns, freedom, and investments. we have truly reached peak living, just as jesus would have wanted

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

kinda thinking it’s ftl but who can say

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

well.... america genocided millions of people in the post soviet states under shock doctrine. now we're shock therapy-ing ourselves. seems to be pretty win so far

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

shrike82 posted:

the male rate increased by ~25% from 2001 to 2021

the female rate increased by nearly 40%

the multiple of male to female suicides has gone down slightly too, from 4.14x to 3.90x

the ladies are catching up

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mr Hootington posted:

They go on mass shootings in grocery stores because black people exist, and not anywhere where people with actual power or are actively harmful are.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mola Yam posted:

the male rate increased by ~25% from 2001 to 2021

the female rate increased by nearly 40%

the multiple of male to female suicides has gone down slightly too, from 4.14x to 3.90x

the ladies are catching up

In the interests of equality we need to balance things out. And as we all already understand number must go up.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

well.... america genocided millions of people in the post soviet states under shock doctrine. now we're shock therapy-ing ourselves. seems to be pretty win so far

not me, in fact id kind of like it to stop

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Centrist Committee posted:

not me, in fact id kind of like it to stop

Sorry, if you're not part of the donor class your status as a "person" is at best highly provisional

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

People are probably just killing themselves because the vibes are a little off. They should look at this chart proving that everything is fine instead.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

definitely feeling like the top is in and it's time to take profits. the last 3 months made no sense at all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reddit.com/r/duolingo/comments/18sx06i/big_layoff_at_duolingo/

quote:

In December 2023, Duolingo “off boarded” a huge percentage of their contractors who did translations. Of course this is because they figured out that AI can do these translations in a fraction of the time. Plus it saves them money. I’m just curious, as a user how do you feel knowing that sentences and translations are coming from AI instead of human beings? Does it matter?

quote:

Here’s the final email I got two weeks ago. Just in case you wanted to see it. I worked there for five years. Our team had four core members and two of us got the boot. The two who remained will just review AI content to make sure it’s acceptable.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

FistEnergy posted:

definitely feeling like the top is in and it's time to take profits. the last 3 months made no sense at all

evergreen

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

The stock market is a big part of what makes rich people richer and so the government will take any actions necessary to make sure it goes up forever.

Apr 7, 2003

That's right,

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FistEnergy posted:

it makes sense because j-pow announced the money printer is coming back online after a temporary repair hiatus

there will be no "top", investments are the biggest inflationary item in america by far and wide. they will always continue to inflate forever and ever and ever and ever

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Jesucristo, ¿a qué profundidad llega la madriguera del conejo?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

We've basically spent the last century patching holes that allow the stock market to ever produce negative returns, thus invalidating the entire concept. Maybe we've finally plugged all the holes and it's nothing but up up up from here on out.

Apr 7, 2003

ram dass in hell posted:

Jesucristo, ¿a qué profundidad llega la madriguera del conejo?

si

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xaris posted:

it makes sense because j-pow announced the money printer is coming back online after a temporary repair hiatus

there will be no "top", investments are the biggest inflationary item in america by far and wide. they will always continue to inflate forever and ever and ever and ever

What if I told you the money printer never stopped?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol I recall at least a couple goons talking about liquidating their stock portfolios at the start of the pandemic - I hope it was just bluster because they'd have missed out on a 50% rally over the following two years

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

goddamn that is a THIRSTY title, just shamelessly begging for clicks. loving hate the Atlantic

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol that's ezra klein's wife

lmfao.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shrike82 posted:

lol I recall at least a couple goons talking about liquidating their stock portfolios at the start of the pandemic - I hope it was just bluster because they'd have missed out on a 50% rally over the following two years

If they liquidated in January/February 2020 when CSPAM caught wind of this and bought back in when the Federal Reserve said they'd backstop the market, they would've been even better off than your 50% projection.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

only 90s kids remember…

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

People are probably just killing themselves because the vibes are a little off. They should look at this chart proving that everything is fine instead.

The important thing is people don't kill themselves leaving debts that have to be written off. We must hold our balance sheets integrity as sacred. So long as there are sufficient assets remaining or perhaps still living relatives we could perhaps automatically transfer those liabilities to them, squaring the books. Really bring back the intergenerational debt tradition.

And if that means little suzy or willie in the crib today has to work in an open pit opal mine for their entire adult life because their grandma couldn't afford her iphone bill then that's simply the sign of progress towards a better tomorrow.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

goddamn that is a THIRSTY title, just shamelessly begging for clicks. loving hate the Atlantic

Legacy media has gone the way of gaming media - all just hate clickbait to try and get views for ad revenue. Until even that isn't enough to pay the bills I guess.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The entire reason the NYT and other traditional media outlets are at all threatened by AI-generated content is because they've created this environment. There's nothing left when the clickbait stops paying the bills, and it's going to stop paying the bills very soon because you can't compete with these systems if you all you want to do is pump out essentially undifferentiated content to generate engagement.

Like that Atlantic headline sounds like it was written by a literal ten year old. It's equal parts juvenile, condescending, and nonsensical, and you're going to lose to the machines if that's the best you can do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Paradoxish posted:

The entire reason the NYT and other traditional media outlets are at all threatened by AI-generated content is because they've created this environment. There's nothing left when the clickbait stops paying the bills, and it's going to stop paying the bills very soon because you can't compete with these systems if you all you want to do is pump out essentially undifferentiated content to generate engagement.

Like that Atlantic headline sounds like it was written by a literal ten year old. It's equal parts juvenile, condescending, and nonsensical, and you're going to lose to the machines if that's the best you can do now.

👆