Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Tapedump posted:

Taima, you were or were not around a few years ago when Kodi got trashed to poo poo for only somewhat different 3rd party tactics?

Their rep sure returned in the mainstream, huh?

Honestly I never used Kodi. I have been a hardcore Usenet enjoyer for many years, and have a 100TB Plex server full of 4K remux blu rays and shows. So you could say that I'm actually kind of Usenet Hardcore, such that it goes, hence my posting in this thread for years (though I know you can always find a bigger dork if you look, hah)

Is Kodi associated with this setup? I have no idea, there was nothing Kodi branded while I was getting things sorted.

The ideal setup here with RDB is as follows:

- Android streaming stick/box
- enable dev mode and install Downloader and then URL download Stremio
- Enable Torrentio addon

That is it for "normies" who aren't running a local server, and it's even better than I'm describing but I'm being intentionally obtuse about some of the main benefits because you wouldn't need those benefits for obtaining linux ISOs. My inbox is open :shrug:

hot date tonight! posted:

Years ago when I tried this solution you needed a debrid service, a service to provide you with hashes and a frontend of some sort and they were all paid. It also helped to have redundancy in case one thing didn't have the poo poo you wanted. I answered my own question though I see you can integrate a debrid service straight into plex with plex-debrid and it looks pretty nice.

Just a heads up if you don't know, yt-dlp works on bandcamp too, and can sometimes get lossless files (Usually you'll get 128kb MP3 though).

Oooh I see what you're saying. That does sound annoying as hell! I wasn't trying to imply you were wrong, I just hadn't experienced any of that in my setup.

To be clear, the reason I brought this information to the thread is because you guys have helped ME so much and I wanted to share what is probably the platonic ideal of media downloading. You can use this as your only setup, or you can be like me/you/anyone more technical and just have it as a great downloading tool for maintaining a local plex library, while using Plex-Debrid to maintain a remote section of your Plex library. I know personally, while I do have (and have saturated) 100TB of local disk storage, there is plenty of linux ISOs that I want to have but don't want to actually use local storage space on. That is a perfect use case, but bolstering your actual plex server, in perpetuity, with anything you could EVER want, is also very easy and good.

Really just trying to return the love I've gotten over the years in this thread if people care about what I view as kind of like... the perfect accompaniment to any prospective media collector or enjoyer.

I find that it really helps me support my Usenet library, and I somehow missed the memo on this technology, so just wanted to share. It sucks that people got upset, for some reason.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Kodi is just a flexible front end that lets you play basically everything. There's less of a need for it nowadays but back in the XBMC days when streamer devices didn't really didn't exist it was one of maybe five ways to get local playback from a computer to a TV without navigating through a normal desktop interface. I still use it because I sort of hate the Plex app but I could pretty easily switch over at any point.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh that makes sense, thanks. Just curious, what don't you like about Plex? It's by no means perfect, just wondering.

Personally I use Plex for 2 main reasons:

1) It lets me use Infuse and Apple TV which is my preferred TV streaming setup. Infuse owns. The standard Plex app can definitely be a little finicky though.

2) I love Plex HTPC. It even passes through TrueHD Atmos on Windows, which I use on one of my setups (7.1.2)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Having used Kodi for years, everything is set up very simply and straightforward. You open the app, you pick between movies and TV shows, you have some non cluttered playlists for recently added maybe, and then you see a list of stuff you have. Plex seems to really toss a lot of garbage on the screen unless you spend the time to remove it, and then sometimes it'll just add the garbage back if there's an update. I never want to see "Plex movies and shows" or whatever, for example.

I do have Plex setup for my father in law's Apple TV and so friends and family can stream stuff from me if they can't find something somewhere else, though. It's fine, just not my favorite thing in the world.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eschaton posted:

Why would anyone get DMCA’d for reading or posting on Usenet?

Reading? No idea. Posting.....maybe?

eschaton posted:

I get that a full feed might require a T1

Welcome back from 1996! Our phones have multiple times more bandwidth and similar latency to a T1 now.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
SSL = No DMCA threat letters.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Tapedump posted:

SSL = No DMCA threat letters.

Also add local dns using root hints.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Taima posted:

Oh that makes sense, thanks. Just curious, what don't you like about Plex? It's by no means perfect, just wondering.

I personally do not use plex because they wanted me to make an account to play the movie on my phone with their app. With their browser interface it seems that it was still possible to use it without an account on android it didn't look like I had a choice. Since I can use kodi without all that jazz, I choose to not even consider Plex. I hate accounts with a passion, and only make/use one if I absolutely have to and the desire to use said service/advantages it provides vastly overwhelm the aversion I feel to make one.

While Kodi means that I have to have a computer of some kind connected to the TV, while Plex could work with whatever anemic device apple or google sells, the fact that they wanted an account for my android (phone) app, signals that they may want one for those devices as well. I do not know if that's the case, but it's not something that I'm even remotely interested in finding out. If an application's first screen is a log in screen, i'm (usually) out.

And finally, I do not use Plex because there's nothing that it can do (that I care about) that kodi doesn't.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So do you hate accounts? Or accounts on other people's equipment?

Jellyfin is all local accounts and you can use actual set top box hardware to put it on a tv over a network if that's the kind of thing you want to do. Or use a phone/tablet/web client either locally or remote. It's just http.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Jellyfin with Infuse on Apple TV is perfect. I had been using CoreELEC before for 2 years and it felt like using something from the 90s. I appreciate all the people working on it but drat.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Motronic posted:

So do you hate accounts? Or accounts on other people's equipment?

Accounts in general. In 99% of the cases the application asking for one does not actually need it. I have in my password manager around 200 accounts. Out of those, maybe 2-3 are accounts that are absolutely needed for the service they provide. The rest are accounts because the service simply wanted one without any reason whatsoever (yes, I know their reasons, but gently caress-em).

edit: If an application wants an account, my first question is "why?". What is it that you do, or provide, to warrant such an ask? Usually there is no answer to it (other than marketing speak), so it is up to me to decide if that's worth it or not.

Motronic posted:

Jellyfin is all local accounts and you can use actual set top box hardware to put it on a tv over a network if that's the kind of thing you want to do. Or use a phone/tablet/web client either locally or remote. It's just http.

Why does it need accounts though? What's the service they provide?
Anyway, the web client: I can use an actual media player, why would I bother with the web client?

Volguus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 30, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volguus posted:

I feel like you're a goon in a well situation, but I'll take a brief attempt to explain: because not everyone hosts a server for only themselves in their own home and never goes anywhere or would want to access it form elsewhere. You can set no authentication for jellyfin (and plex too) for network subnets if you want.

Volguus posted:

Anyway, the web client: I can use an actual media player, why would I bother with the web client?

I don't know. Because all you happened to have was a web browser and didn't want to install software on something? You don't have to use it. It's just an option.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Motronic posted:

I feel like you're a goon in a well situation, but I'll take a brief attempt to explain: because not everyone hosts a server for only themselves in their own home and never goes anywhere or would want to access it form elsewhere. You can set no authentication for jellyfin (and plex too) for network subnets if you want.

I don't think I'm a goon in a well, I'm not quite sure where that even came from? But yes, I do not need to access my media files from anywhere else except my home. I wouldn't do it if I could, poking a hole in my network (be it via a vpn), I would only do it for something really important.
Movies are not important. At all.

So, therefore, I do not see the reason to use these services.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nah gently caress plex they want me to pay to stream media to mobile devices on my own local network.

Kodi just accesses the network share and plays all my poo poo without a fuss, Kodi forever.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thank god there’s options for everyone! Kodi, Plex, Jellyfin, reading a book, taking a walk, watching the paint dry and/or grass grow, options all around!

e: by which I mean who cares what you do as long as it works for you

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 30, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I wish I liked infuse. I really do. Their decision to compress like Plex library types (all “TV” type libraries get lumped together, ect) is mystifying and kind of infuriating to deal with.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nah gently caress plex they want me to pay to stream media to mobile devices on my own local network.

They do what now? Oh lord ...

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Thank god there’s options for everyone! Kodi, Plex, Jellyfin, reading a book, taking a walk, watching the paint dry and/or grass grow, options all around!

e: by which I mean who cares what you do as long as it works for you

And I agree, yet the question still seem to pop up: why don't you use <plex/jellywhatever/something else>? And my answer is always: why should I? There is nothing that they provide that I need or want.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Warbird posted:

I wish I liked infuse. I really do. Their decision to compress like Plex library types (all “TV” type libraries get lumped together, ect) is mystifying and kind of infuriating to deal with.

I don’t like it at all either, but with most the 4K bugs resolved I don’t see a need to keep a sub anymore.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Kodi just accesses the network share and plays all my poo poo without a fuss, Kodi forever.

You don’t want to pay for software someone else developed because you want to stream locally? That doesn’t make sense unless you specifically mean a monthly fee. In that case, you can get lifetime Plex for like $90 on sale. It’s not that big of a deal to me, especially considering my family uses it every day.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Most of the Plex apps should have a $5 one-off purchase option too.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Volguus posted:

I haven't used jellyfin but I assume it's for different users?

editor
Feb 4, 2007

Volguus posted:

jellyfin accounts are local. each account has its own watch history for features like resuming where you left off. the initial account is also an admin for server stuff

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Taima posted:

Plex debrid stuff

Well thank you for the awareness! I just set it up and having easy near-instant streaming integrated into plex for like $3 a month is sweet.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I started using xbmc on a soft modded xbox and then used kodi until like 2021 but goddamn it's nice to just use Plex on every device ever. like if I get an Airbnb they'll probably have a Roku and i can just install Plex and sign in and have all my poo poo. i could probably make that work from something i hosted myself but who cares.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You don’t want to pay for software someone else developed because you want to stream locally?

Correct, especially when I already have a free solution that works perfectly.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

hot date tonight! posted:

Well thank you for the awareness! I just set it up and having easy near-instant streaming integrated into plex for like $3 a month is sweet.

What are the system resource requirements? Looking at what it's doing I'd assume realdebrid/plexdebrid are pretty lightweight, but I'm running plex off a miniPC that maxes out at 8GB RAM and I have most of that set aside as a transcoding ramdisk.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Warbird posted:

Oh this is extremely interesting. Lidarr is a nightmare if you have album brain worms and just want do things on a text by track level. If this is just music yt-dlp then I’m gong to have to go hard on this.

Don't forget Soulseek (I use the Nicotine+ client because its prettier) which has had one of the spergiest music collections for the last 20 odd years.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tornhelm posted:

Don't forget Soulseek (I use the Nicotine+ client because its prettier) which has had one of the spergiest music collections for the last 20 odd years.

I'm still using Deezer/Deemix for most of my music, it sounds pretty similar to tidal-dl i.e. using an alt client for a paid streaming service that lets you download the files. I have N+ as a fallback but grabbing an entire album from a central source with a single mouse click is heavenly. The Deemix GUI is pretty nice but it's no longer being maintained so it's just one API change away from obsolescence.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’m redoing my lil setup like I do once every 6 years and wanted to pop in and see what changes I’ve missed because stuff pretty much just works so I don’t keep up with it. holy hell the brain worms have mutated and diversified

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I went back and read the Real Debrid post last page and I'm not trying to hate on the OP but I guess I just don't get it. Having a gig internet and a huge server with all the *arrs has just spoiled me at this point. Maybe if you didn't have all that setup it would make more sense? As it is now I'm a few clicks from adding whatever thing I want, and it's all setup to go into the appropriate spots so I can access them with various devices.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

EC posted:

I went back and read the Real Debrid post last page and I'm not trying to hate on the OP but I guess I just don't get it. Having a gig internet and a huge server with all the *arrs has just spoiled me at this point. Maybe if you didn't have all that setup it would make more sense? As it is now I'm a few clicks from adding whatever thing I want, and it's all setup to go into the appropriate spots so I can access them with various devices.

I can definitely see how it fits into setups where people aren't fazed by dropping a few hundred or more on additional hard drives every few months or don't have the luxury of a fat pipe without bandwidth limitations.

A drawback I would be bothered about, if I'm understanding right is that if your debrid provider vanished or decided they were only taking crypto for subscriptions you'd have to rebuild your access to everything with torrent files all over again?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Sonarr v4 is now released to stable branch, be ready to update to custom formats from preferred words when you update.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nice, it was only recently that I realized there was a v4 in beta. Is there a major feature change list anywhere?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

THF13 posted:

Sonarr v4 is now released to stable branch, be ready to update to custom formats from preferred words when you update.

What’s the best discord bot for *arr both for adding and reporting grabs/imports?

V4 will break my current unsupported one.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have you tired Overseerr for that? It’s off the shelf settings can ping you for all that on discord.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Takes No Damage posted:

What are the system resource requirements? Looking at what it's doing I'd assume realdebrid/plexdebrid are pretty lightweight, but I'm running plex off a miniPC that maxes out at 8GB RAM and I have most of that set aside as a transcoding ramdisk.

It's just rclone and a python script, not using any noticeable resources for me.

EC posted:

I have the usenet stuff set up too, but I don't archive most of the poo poo I watch. It's nice to just stream that stuff and not have to delete it after but it's not a huge deal either way.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Warbird posted:

Have you tired Overseerr for that? It’s off the shelf settings can ping you for all that on discord.

I think I started down the route a few months ago thinking that was the answer but didn’t finish. I’ll take another look. Thanks!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Warbird posted:

You don’t have to use the infuse library function

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hughlander posted:

What’s the best discord bot for *arr both for adding and reporting grabs/imports?

V4 will break my current unsupported one.

I use notifiarr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

kri kri posted:

You don’t have to use the infuse library function

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Is that a setting you can just disable?