Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gearman posted:

Another 20+ from traces and 50+ from LC

She actually gets 57% from traces, because her 20% major trace DOES apply to her as well, it just doesn't show on the character sheet out of combat because it's applied as a buff.

Ignore that I had her at 170-ish percent BE, I'd just moved her to Vonwaq and was juggling gear around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Huh, I hadn’t realized that. Have been trying to jigsaw puzzle a way to get to 180 break effect and still use an energy rope and that changes things

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Not sure how I feel about this web event fortune telling being so accurate.

Past - You were surrounded by family and friends
Present - The future seems bleak
Future - You will gradually become used to being alone

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

:toot:

Getting Infinitely Recursive Code on a DHIL team and then a Ruan Mei event probably constitutes "cheating my rear end off" but whatever I'll take it :v:

The Countdown dice seems to be the safest dice to do your runs on, since it's basically Swarm's Abundance mechanic that makes your timer never run out, except you get to be on an actually offensive Path.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

She actually gets 57% from traces, because her 20% major trace DOES apply to her as well, it just doesn't show on the character sheet out of combat because it's applied as a buff.

Ignore that I had her at 170-ish percent BE, I'd just moved her to Vonwaq and was juggling gear around.

drat, that is huge. Makes gearing a whole lot easier then.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I don't think this should surprise anyone, lmao

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

blizzardvizard posted:

:toot:

Getting Infinitely Recursive Code on a DHIL team and then a Ruan Mei event probably constitutes "cheating my rear end off" but whatever I'll take it :v:

The Countdown dice seems to be the safest dice to do your runs on, since it's basically Swarm's Abundance mechanic that makes your timer never run out, except you get to be on an actually offensive Path.

It's also the most tedious, which is why I do the opposite and use the Pursuit dice to skip past as much of the levels as possible, lol.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

For me the worst die is the one that behaves like Preservation (leaving special zones uncollapsed and getting bonuses at the boss stage), I've gotten embarrassingly pasted a couple of times with it. The Countdown one is neat.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I'm going out to buy some lottery ticket after somehow getting both Ruan Mei event with her in my party. I had no idea that was possible.

Doing over 750 million damage with Jingliu on the Swarm bug is really something

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, only build up characters if you're interested in playing with them. Building up characters you have just for the sake of doing so is a luxury

Eej posted:

The amount of XP, materials and credits to level things increases rapidly after level 60 and trace level 6. Sprinkling stuff around will make you very weak for very long.

acumen posted:

tier lists tell a pretty good story, especially if you're just starting out. youtubers have tricked out lovely 4*s and built teams around them to finish some hard fights, but you'll have a significantly easier time playing the game with actually good characters.

I would also advise against putting exp into everyone (past 20 for the ticket of course). Get a good balanced squad of four and pump everything you can into them. Then four more.

Endorph posted:

dont do this, thats gonnna drastically slow down your progression. you dont have to be a slave to tier lists, but pick a team of 4 people - preferably 1 healer and one buffer/debuffer and then two whatevers - and just focus on them. doesnt matter if tier lists say theyre bad or not.

:stare: Okay, stopping, thanks! I got my main squad(s) to 30 and everyone else to 20 but I'll stop there. I say squads because I'm having a hard time ditching the PC since he shows up in interactions, it just feels weird not to play him in the story, so I have a team that I play the story with and a team I do other content with.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

New Leaf posted:

:stare: Okay, stopping, thanks! I got my main squad(s) to 30 and everyone else to 20 but I'll stop there. I say squads because I'm having a hard time ditching the PC since he shows up in interactions, it just feels weird not to play him in the story, so I have a team that I play the story with and a team I do other content with.

At where you are at, your main protagonist will be a good choice for all story teams and soon you'll get something good that will make them better.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Family member is attempting to persuade me into trying another one of these types of games, and some of the story/characters/setting seem cool, so i have a couple of questions before I give it a shot. A lot of it is just checking if I understand the op correctly so apologies in advance:

One of my arms/wrists/hands is busted for the near term so i’m glad i can play this on a touchscreen for the moment. In the future i can just play this on another device using an account password right? No dumb rear end transfer code stuff or auth file workaround like fgo?

Also b/c of the arm thing i can’t do action stuff that well. I know this is turn based but is there any timing mechanics at any point? I know there is something like an auto battler which I think should help w/the routine stuff / grinding / etc.

Seems like the free units the game gives you are pretty good? I have no intention of spending my own RL money and am pretty predisposed to Never Rolling and amassing currency until somebody I really like comes along.

Finally (whew) can i just roll with whoever i get from a newbie banner or something? I vaguely remember redoing puzzles and dragons intro like a decade+ ago which in retrospect was pretty loving stupid lol.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Sleng Teng posted:

Family member is attempting to persuade me into trying another one of these types of games, and some of the story/characters/setting seem cool, so i have a couple of questions before I give it a shot. A lot of it is just checking if I understand the op correctly so apologies in advance:

One of my arms/wrists/hands is busted for the near term so i’m glad i can play this on a touchscreen for the moment. In the future i can just play this on another device using an account password right? No dumb rear end transfer code stuff or auth file workaround like fgo?

Also b/c of the arm thing i can’t do action stuff that well. I know this is turn based but is there any timing mechanics at any point? I know there is something like an auto battler which I think should help w/the routine stuff / grinding / etc.

Seems like the free units the game gives you are pretty good? I have no intention of spending my own RL money and am pretty predisposed to Never Rolling and amassing currency until somebody I really like comes along.

Finally (whew) can i just roll with whoever i get from a newbie banner or something? I vaguely remember redoing puzzles and dragons intro like a decade+ ago which in retrospect was pretty loving stupid lol.

1) yes. you'll make a hoyo account and use that to log in on whatever device you use.
2) sort of - you can use your character's ultimate ability at any point and some appreciate being used as an interrupt of enemy actions but it's never necessary (That One Event doesn't count). There is also a sub-game mode with a chance of giving you an event that requires motion/action (bust barrels or mascot characters in the time limit) but you always have the option to avoid it.
3) they vary but all of them (except maybe Herta) are at least Usable.
4) Yes. You'll generally want to save your currency for rolling on limited banners instead of the general one after the newbie banner, though.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Sleng Teng posted:

Yes, you can play this game across different device on the same account no problem.

quote:

On the field, you'll see the enemies and if you can attack them first with the right unit element, you can start the fight with some advantage, but it's very generous on the frame and timing and getting ambushed isn't really that too bad (unless you're severely underleveled)

quote:

Yes, that is totally valid way. At the start you will have a beginner roll banner that will give you an automatic 5 star at max 40 rolls. Highly suggest you roll on that first before the standard banner. There is two different rail passes, the white one is for the standard and beginner while the golden one is for the limited banner.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Amusingly there is an entry if *you* are your own most used character.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

New Leaf posted:

Yeah, me saying a character is worth looking at just means that. Look at their traces and abilities, and try them out in a combat or two. It's a game where anyone is viable to be used if you enjoy using them. I actively avoid tier lists for that reason. I only play characters I find to be fun, and I generally only recommend them for that reason.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I helped Pom-Pom 191 times? man I'm a sucker for credits

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My most used character is Luocha. The man is simply easy mode.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Ruan Mei's combat animations are really bad btw, it doesn't match anything about her character or any of the flavor we saw in her quest.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 30, 2023

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

GateOfD posted:

Ruan Mei's combat animations are really bad btw, it doesn't match anything about her character or any of the flavor we saw in her quest.

I did feel a bit disappointed that she wouldn't smash the ruan over someone's head tbh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean her animations aren't what I'd call amazing, but basically she doesn't give a poo poo about the battle so she's just posing elegantly while thinking about how all life is doomed to die. I don't think that's too different from how she acted during the event.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

She makes my numbers larger so it doesn't matter

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Her kit is so loving cracked that I almost want to pull for her.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Clarste posted:

I mean her animations aren't what I'd call amazing, but basically she doesn't give a poo poo about the battle so she's just posing elegantly while thinking about how all life is doomed to die. I don't think that's too different from how she acted during the event.

That was my thought. It's got big "I'm just here so I don't get fined" energy.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Thank you both! I’ll give the game a shot later today.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Bad Video Games posted:

Holy poo poo. This sums up the High Cloud Quintet better than the game did.

https://youtu.be/6Kla_hSWKHk?si=U89YwJSCVVoQHejf

drat that’s really good. Wouldn’t have seen it without you posting it so thanks.

I really liked the Quintet story but it was kind of all over the place. On one hand, it’s cool to stumble into some good lore but on the other that lore could be presented in such a meaningful way. I guess the entire “planet” (ship, whatever) was kind of like that. Luofu was chock full of cool stuff they could use but the story as of 1.1/ start of 1.2 was so slow that I stopped playing (that and some gacha salt) for a while. But there is so much cool poo poo that maybe they just needed some focus and better direction or something. I don’t know.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Anybody have a pitch for one VA language over the others? I didn’t realize I would have a choice!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm another who didn't mind the Xianzhou. I really enjoyed most of it. But the Quintet being as important as they are to so many of the characters, the lore surrounding them should have been more front and center. Most of it is hidden in various books and the storyteller, and it's only in Jingliu's companion quest that a lot of it comes together.

Also, Bailu is not given nearly enough importance. She's the first new Vidyadhara since Long dropped them on the Xianzhou. And no one remembers how it was done, and the mere act of doing so was enough to condemn the High Elder into forced reincarnation. I really hope all of that is explored more in the future.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Sleng Teng posted:

Anybody have a pitch for one VA language over the others? I didn’t realize I would have a choice!

I prefer English because I hate having to read the subtitles. And the VAs are generally pretty good!

The original is Chinese if that matters.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

I use JP since while the original is Chinese, Hoyo are huge weebs so they got an extremely good all star cast for the JP language track.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Bad Video Games posted:

I prefer English because I hate having to read the subtitles. And the VAs are generally pretty good!

The original is Chinese if that matters.

I friggin love original language subtitles for non anglosphere media so I was inclined towards the original CN but

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I use JP since while the original is Chinese, Hoyo are huge weebs so they got an extremely good all star cast for the JP language track.

Took a scan at that list and yeah, I’m thinking it’s JP!

Thanks both :cheersdoge:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
argh @ argenti fights in gold with the healing enemy resonance

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

GateOfD posted:

argh @ argenti fights in gold with the healing enemy resonance

As a DoT spammer the abundance enemy resonance is the most repulsive thing I've ever seen, and I would simply alt-F4 a run before picking it :stonk:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
the last 40% hp on last bar is insane, I be taking no hp damage with my fu xuan with shields the rest of the fight

then it just goes thru like 3-4 full hp bars in seconds

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
"You have fought side by side with Bailu 6512 times."

No surprises there.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Fu fig

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I can't stand the JP because they pronounce all the Chinese names in the Japanese reading and that bugs me a lot.

delfin posted:

"You have fought side by side with Bailu 6512 times."

No surprises there.

How the hell have you done that many battles, like total?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my most used character was myself :shrug: can't help it if Fireblazer was so versatile

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Landed Ruan Mei at 27 pity and now I have THREE Harmony characters to build, on top of finishing Argenti and speed tuning Jingliu/Blade relics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I've started using Remembrance in Swarm Disaster and Gold&Gears and uh..it's basically a cheat code? the enemies never get to act, I am functionally immortal from all the shields (especially /w with the Preservation interplay) and Jingliu can just calmly shred everything to pieces