Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My PS5 and Switch both play nice with my HDMI switch by having it auto-select the input properly. My ATV, however, refuses to make it auto-switch over for some reason and it drives me bonkers. The CEC works amazingly well on it, so I’m not sure if it uses that or the switch just looks for any activity at all on the cables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My PS5 and Switch both play nice with my HDMI switch by having it auto-select the input properly. My ATV, however, refuses to make it auto-switch over for some reason and it drives me bonkers. The CEC works amazingly well on it, so I’m not sure if it uses that or the switch just looks for any activity at all on the cables?

My atv is flawless with my lg oleds

Maybe try another cable or atv full reset?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Why is Apple cramming everything into the appletv app? First it was trailers, which now exists as an empty shell that takes you to a secret, seemingly unreachable by any other means part of the appletv app. The trailers haven’t updated in a week or two which probably doesn’t bode well. Also, the default button on a trailer isn’t to start playing it, it’s to add the movie to my wish list or something.

Tonight I found out that both the movies and television apps have also been hollowed out and replaced with redirects into the appletv app. Even better, you can’t delete these, you can only move them. You can, however, delete the trailers app.

I don’t understand the decision to add room to show more apps on the screen while simultaneously reducing the number of first party apps.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think they want all the Apple content in a single app, so that people have a similar experience on Apple TV vs other smart TVs that are just running the Apple TV app.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fischtick posted:

Why is Apple cramming everything into the appletv app? First it was trailers, which now exists as an empty shell that takes you to a secret, seemingly unreachable by any other means part of the appletv app. The trailers haven’t updated in a week or two which probably doesn’t bode well. Also, the default button on a trailer isn’t to start playing it, it’s to add the movie to my wish list or something.

Tonight I found out that both the movies and television apps have also been hollowed out and replaced with redirects into the appletv app. Even better, you can’t delete these, you can only move them. You can, however, delete the trailers app.

I don’t understand the decision to add room to show more apps on the screen while simultaneously reducing the number of first party apps.

There’s a race, right or wrong, to be the “hub” for people’s streaming apps.

Amazon lets you sign up for multiple subscriptions like HBO, Showtime, etc.

Verizon has been making a big push on offering discounts on multiple streaming services so they’re all on your Verizon bill.

Apple TV (the app) has been pushing where you find your Apple and non Apple streaming there. Plus the assumed hope that you’re subscribing to stuff like HBO via your Apple account.

The thought process is you are less likely to cancel the platform that “hosts” all your other stuff. So if you use the Apple etc app, even if HBO goes up and you cancel that, you keep Apple TV+ (the streaming service) because you are using the TV app, and still have Disney+, Hulu, etc linked to it as well. Or if you have it through Verizon you’re less likely to go to T-Mobile, etc.

How much it actually works is a different debate, but that’s almost def the reason. There’s probably also the data mining and ads portion too.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Today, when putting away cables hanging around, my old atv3 box was in the way. Just finished plugging it back it, it's kinda sad how the only usage i had for it, after most of the app support vaned away, is now pretty much non-functional. You can only do full screen airplay and the moment any content triggers drm, the feed will die. Shame apple didn't upgrade the drm module, as it is it's pretty much e-waste. I won't purchase a new one since it's half the cost of an airplay enabled tv and at that point i might as well refresh my old bravia.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SlowBloke posted:

Today, when putting away cables hanging around, my old atv3 box was in the way. Just finished plugging it back it, it's kinda sad how the only usage i had for it, after most of the app support vaned away, is now pretty much non-functional. You can only do full screen airplay and the moment any content triggers drm, the feed will die. Shame apple didn't upgrade the drm module, as it is it's pretty much e-waste. I won't purchase a new one since it's half the cost of an airplay enabled tv and at that point i might as well refresh my old bravia.

You do you, but a $260 TV is going to be full of lovely apps (even more expensive ones are). With an Apple TV you will never once have to gently caress with that poo poo. That's well worth the premium.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

You do you, but a $260 TV is going to be full of lovely apps (even more expensive ones are). With an Apple TV you will never once have to gently caress with that poo poo. That's well worth the premium.

Not even just lovely but slow AF too. The whole experience is incredibly frustrating.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

Not even just lovely but slow AF too. The whole experience is incredibly frustrating.

The ATV will be supported long after any TV as well. The ATV HD from 2015 is still supported. I would be extremely surprised if any smart tv sold from that time still gets firmware or app updates.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

An apple tv is 200€ here, when a midrange tv from lg or samsung starts at 499€. If i went with TCL or other low ends for pricing, it would be cheaper to get the tv than the apple box.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

My x900F Bravia is AWFUL when I have to hit the home button and go into the settings. The button presses are on like a 2-second delay these days. They constantly update the ads and lovely apps on the Home Screen that I never use, but the security updates stopped in 2021 lol. I block the tv at the router now.

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

So I've got an LG C3, and the Apple TV works great except for when the TV is on and I turn on my Switch, the switch comes on and then it auto turns-on the Apple TV which hijacks the connection so I have to go find the controller and switch inputs. Any way to prevent the Apple TV from auto coming on like that without turning off the ability of the Switch or Apple TV to turn on the TV when I power them on?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

So I've got an LG C3, and the Apple TV works great except for when the TV is on and I turn on my Switch, the switch comes on and then it auto turns-on the Apple TV which hijacks the connection so I have to go find the controller and switch inputs. Any way to prevent the Apple TV from auto coming on like that without turning off the ability of the Switch or Apple TV to turn on the TV when I power them on?

Happens to my xbox and apple tv. altho i think recently if i hit the xbox button on my controller it doesnt turn the apple tv on like it used to. maybe a firmware update fixed it im not sure.

I think cec is all or nothing, so you might just have to deal with it

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
For my LG when one device hijacks the other hitting a button on the original device helps. Like if you’re starting the Xbox and the Apple TV comes on as well and takes over, hitting Home once will bring Xbox back and vice versa.

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

Thanks. It definitely seems like an error somewhere, not sure it’s Apple or LG — but I’m guessing it’s an Apple issue. The switch doesn’t turn on when I turn on the Apple TV so I’m not sure why it would do jt in reverse

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have had a similar experience and my take is it’s likely the way LG implemented CEC.

If my switch was the last thing on and I turn it on again later, the AppleTV doesn’t try to hog the input. It’s only when it was the last input active when the LG tv was last on.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there a more elegant way to assign a DualShock4 to an appletv and an iPad that isn't "forcing the Apple device to forget the controller and pairing it anew" when I want to switch between them?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Is there a more elegant way to assign a DualShock4 to an appletv and an iPad that isn't "forcing the Apple device to forget the controller and pairing it anew" when I want to switch between them?

No because that’s BT.

Pretty sure this is / was the only option if you want to switch between devices

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HP3G2ZM/A/steelseries-nimbus-wireless-gaming-controller

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there a way to have a display of your various tv streaming services’ guides like you can accomplish with Google/Android TV? I don’t mind going into an app to watch whatever but having it all centralized was nice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

Is there a way to have a display of your various tv streaming services’ guides like you can accomplish with Google/Android TV? I don’t mind going into an app to watch whatever but having it all centralized was nice.

No because some of them refuse to hook into the Apple eco system

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

I think they want all the Apple content in a single app, so that people have a similar experience on Apple TV vs other smart TVs that are just running the Apple TV app.

That seems very not Apple. It’s like crippling iMessage in ios because it has to run on android too. I paid the apple hardware premium, I expect apple to write their software with their hardware in mind first, and lovely tv integrations second.

I feel like I’d lose my job if the software I managed had 3 prominent buttons that, when clicked, showed a big /*TODO*/… but that’s what the trailers app has been for months!

Also, fire the entire chain of managers and engineers who allowed the power off long click to get changed to long click followed by the street fighter fireball “down and to the left” maneuver.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MarcusSA posted:

No because that’s BT.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HP3G2ZM/A/steelseries-nimbus-wireless-gaming-controller

Oh yeah I have one of those somewhere but it's rear end.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the only thing i know about apps being bundled in tvos' native features is that i get a push notification for a new episode for a show that i'm watching - 1-2 days after it's out

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

fischtick posted:

Also, fire the entire chain of managers and engineers who allowed the power off long click to get changed to long click followed by the street fighter fireball “down and to the left” maneuver.

I have an old atvHD, but for me I can long press and then click twice to power off. Not sure if that works for everyone…

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

fischtick posted:

What’s the “to the left” part? I just swipe down a bit, on both the old black and newer silver remotes.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Is there a way to properly normalize the audio across the various apps and ATV system UI? It generally seems that apps are much quieter than the system is, so if I exit an app and navigate to another one it blows my ears out.
It’s an ATV 4K with the silver lightning remote and the HDMI signal is being passed through my soundbar, if that matters, though I doubt that it really does. I’ve tried reducing loud sounds and I’ve done the wireless audio sync and it’s still like this.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Not sure I always turn off ui sounds

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Branch Nvidian posted:

Is there a way to properly normalize the audio across the various apps and ATV system UI? It generally seems that apps are much quieter than the system is, so if I exit an app and navigate to another one it blows my ears out.
It’s an ATV 4K with the silver lightning remote and the HDMI signal is being passed through my soundbar, if that matters, though I doubt that it really does. I’ve tried reducing loud sounds and I’ve done the wireless audio sync and it’s still like this.

The different apps have full control over their own content so, no.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What’s the “to the left” part? I just swipe down a bit, on both the old black and newer silver remotes.

I think I have an older (not oldest) remote, and straight down highlights “Ethernet” for me. Down and then slightly to the left gets me to power. Slightly more left than down gets me to the user switcher. Too much down and not-enough left activates the torment nexus.

The answer is to use the other remote to turn off the tv or shout “hey siri! I’m lovin’ it turn off the Apple tee vee!”

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

No because that’s BT.

Can’t wait for that mfer to get USB C

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
So I have been having this issue where when I have my Airpods connected to the AppleTV, and while singing songs on Apple Music, it reduces the volume on the Airpods so I can't hear the song anymore. Is this some crazy Karaoke mode or is there a setting to stop it from doing that?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there a website that lists all the movie and tv deals for Apple tv/iTunes, preferably sortable by country?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

trilljester posted:

So I have been having this issue where when I have my Airpods connected to the AppleTV, and while singing songs on Apple Music, it reduces the volume on the Airpods so I can't hear the song anymore. Is this some crazy Karaoke mode or is there a setting to stop it from doing that?

The new Airpods Pro reduce the volume of your audio when it thinks your speaking (or singing, or clearing your throat, etc). If you go into the Airpods settings, you can turn it off. I believe it's called Conversation Awareness.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there a website that lists all the movie and tv deals for Apple tv/iTunes, preferably sortable by country?

The closest I know of is justwatch.com, it supports a lot of countries and I usually use it to figure out where a movie or tv show is even available for streaming or purchase. It doesn't list deals specifically but you can filter for Apple TV only, for sale only, and put in a price range. For me I get thousands of movies for <$5 though so not sure how much use it will be.

edit: Eg right now I can go to justwatch.com/ca (Canada) and filter for 4K only, $5 or less, Apple TV, movies only, Buy only and get 158 results.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://www.cheapcharts.info/us

You can switch to other countries.

Also this Reddit is pretty good:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iTunesMovieDeals/

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Bought an Apple TV and wow this thing is so much nicer than any other streaming box or smart TV app setup I've ever used. Super fast and responsive UI and no ads what more could you want.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Flowing Thot posted:

Bought an Apple TV and wow this thing is so much nicer than any other streaming box or smart TV app setup I've ever used. Super fast and responsive UI and no ads what more could you want.

Some people will look at you like you're insane when you tell them you spent $150 on a streaming box but it's so very much worth it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Flowing Thot posted:

I love how the cursor moves as fast as i can tap the button

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Flowing Thot posted:

Chromecast support and a central view of the livestreaming channels/apps you have installed but I get why the former can’t happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Some people will look at you like you're insane when you tell them you spent $150 on a streaming box but it's so very much worth it.

These are the people that buy the $25 fire stick and think it works fine.

Buys a $1000 tv and the cheapest media device possible.