Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Quantum of Phallus posted:

buddy are you a moron

A bit harsh. That said I think they didn't do that so things wouldn't get too hot while charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Panfilo posted:

I know there's probably a bunch of variables, but I wish steam games listed estimated battery life when running the game on Steam. Obviously AAA titles you're going to be lucky to get 90 minutes as the fan will be revving like a muscle car the whole time, but quite a few games that don't look terribly demanding haves surprisingly short battery life on the deck. The Last Spell is a final fantasy tactics type pixel game yet it guzzles battery power regardless for example.

Also, while I like the case the deck came in, one thing I wish is they added a hole to run the charging cable through so you could charge it while it's in it's case. Guess it's only a matter of time before I get restless enough to spring for some otterbox type case with built in charging battery and strap for holding my Gamer Nursing Pillow lol.

I'm surprised Decky doesn't have a plug-in for that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tater_salad posted:

The only thing about Tetris effect is like 20 bux for Tetris it seems a bit much.

Worth it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

On Christmas there was the one teenager in the extended family who is always left out and somehow never gets gifts. Was clearly sad as usual and wasn't ready for the "oh look there's one present left under the tree" bit. They almost cried getting my used LCD Deck. :3

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Suburban Dad posted:

A bit harsh. That said I think they didn't do that so things wouldn't get too hot while charging.

Yeah, since there's a few things now that come with cases with holes to put a charging cable through. The Xbox Elite controller is one but a controller probably generates a lot less heat when charging than a whole rear end PC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Charging rate matters more than battery size, though they’re obviously somewhat related. I’ve charged my Deck in a small backpack pocket and it didn’t seem noticeably warm after about half a battery’s worth, but if I had accidentally taken it out of sleep I bet it would have been toasty.

I think the BMS would halt charging due to heat before there was any risk of damage to the device or anything, though.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

tater_salad posted:

The only thing about Tetris effect is like 20 bux for Tetris it seems a bit much.

Tetros Effect was worth full price to me. Twice.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Panfilo posted:

I know there's probably a bunch of variables, but I wish steam games listed estimated battery life when running the game on Steam. Obviously AAA titles you're going to be lucky to get 90 minutes as the fan will be revving like a muscle car the whole time, but quite a few games that don't look terribly demanding haves surprisingly short battery life on the deck. The Last Spell is a final fantasy tactics type pixel game yet it guzzles battery power regardless for example.

You can change battery usage pretty significantly just by setting per-application graphics options. Capping a game at 40 fps and dialing down the TDP limit can really cut battery usage on games where it doesn't matter, for example.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Heran Bago posted:

On Christmas there was the one teenager in the extended family who is always left out and somehow never gets gifts. Was clearly sad as usual and wasn't ready for the "oh look there's one present left under the tree" bit. They almost cried getting my used LCD Deck. :3

Hell, I’d cry. You are a good person. Great gaming times ahead for that rad teen.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

My issue is I still haven't figured out how to have an overlay that shows battery power and the current time. I don't need fps counter or how many watts the GPU is chugging, just have a little potato icon display if something is straining the graphics hardware.

you can edit the mangohud presets the deck uses and replace any of the levels with whatever you want

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

TwoDice posted:

you can edit the mangohud presets the deck uses and replace any of the levels with whatever you want

How?

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can change battery usage pretty significantly just by setting per-application graphics options. Capping a game at 40 fps and dialing down the TDP limit can really cut battery usage on games where it doesn't matter, for example.

I'll have to experiment with this. Does capping fps do anything on games where this isn't even a factor? I'm guessing some games are just not optimized well for the deck. Would be neat if I could just plug in user submitted settings the same way I could for user submitted controller settings on games.

Suburban Dad posted:

I've heard something about that, but how hot are we really talking here? And if we make considerations for a hole to run a charging cable there's no reason they couldn't have vent holes to dissipate heat as well. Or a little built in fan like some wireless chargers have built in to help with heat build up.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

How?

I'll have to experiment with this. Does capping fps do anything on games where this isn't even a factor? I'm guessing some games are just not optimized well for the deck. Would be neat if I could just plug in user submitted settings the same way I could for user submitted controller settings on games.

I've heard something about that, but how hot are we really talking here? And if we make considerations for a hole to run a charging cable there's no reason they couldn't have vent holes to dissipate heat as well. Or a little built in fan like some wireless chargers have built in to help with heat build up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-h3_CfsjQ

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Panfilo posted:

How?

Not sure what you mean by "where this isn't a factor," but even rendering a desktop at 60fps is going to take more juice (even if negligibly so) than rendering a desktop at 30fps.

edit: BG3 is a good example of a game that really benefits from it. The difference between 40fps and 60fps BG isn't huge from a gameplay perspective, but drawling fewer frames sure as poo poo helps out your battery.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I think it’s just a risk they aren’t willing to take even if it might work out ok 99% of the time.

There’s going to be that 1% who either leave their deck on and try and change it in the case or it somehow gets woken up and melts itself.

I don’t think it’s worth the risk imo.

The Lenovo go has a hole to charge it in the case and universally everyone says definitely do not use it because windows is notorious for waking up while plugged in for no god drat reason (I’ve seen this on the Ally).

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Yeah, the vast majority of my games are 5-8 TDP and 30fps. I get between ~5-8 hours battery life on those settings. Partly that's because I don't play many action games and partly because I just am not very sensitive to frame rates >30.

Even if you want to push the cap up higher than that on TDP, FPS, or both I still recommend setting them though. Lots of games will pull way more power than they actually need for no benefit if you let them.

Objective Action fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 30, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not sure what you mean by "where this isn't a factor," but even rendering a desktop at 60fps is going to take more juice (even if negligibly so) than rendering a desktop at 30fps.

edit: BG3 is a good example of a game that really benefits from it. The difference between 40fps and 60fps BG isn't huge from a gameplay perspective, but drawling fewer frames sure as poo poo helps out your battery.

What BG3 settings are you rolling to get 60 fps lol?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Does Pathfinder WotR play decently on the Deck?

On PC it asks if you're using a controller, so I assume its UI can accommodate it, but how does it actually play?

Al's, can you use the Unity Mod Manager with it? I don't use a ton of mods, but some QoL fixes are nice to have.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

What BG3 settings are you rolling to get 60 fps lol?

Sorry, I mean the setting on the limiter deck-side. I think the key is that it also monkeys with the display refresh rate. It used to be a lot more apparent before the last system patch, where the FPS and screen refresh were discrete sliders. Point being, there's no reason to refresh the display at 60 Hz if you A) are only getting 30-40, tops and B) are OK with 30 FPS in general. I mentioned BG3 because it was a battery hog and fiddling with those made a noticeable difference.

And lol yeah you're not getting actual 60 in BG3.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

The tetris efect is literally the dude behind lumines getting to do a tetris game and its unmatched in terms of synesthesia. Its really loving good in VR, like beam that poo poo into both of my eyeballs directly please.

Lumines Remastered is $4.49 on Steam right now and I haven't played it since the PSP, so thank you for that reminder!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

What can I do to try to diagnose this?

As Risutora said, switch to Moonlight/Sunshine: https://obsidian.evanmingliu.com/Projects/Gaming/Steamdeck/Sunshine-moonlight-and-MoondeckBuddy/Sunshine-Moonlight-and-Moondeck-Buddy

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I will warn that the Sunshine host has been an ENORMOUS pain in the rear end to get working through flatpak or appimage on linux, and especially so in Wayland.

So much so I largely gave up and installed it through a rootful distrobox container, or if it's available, through a regular package via the package manager. Don't waste like 20 hours like I did trying to get it working with the least amount of permissions necessary.

The Sunshine server is probably way less of an issue to get working in windows though, so if that's where you're streaming from :thumbsup:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Make a file named ~/.config/MangoHud/presets.conf; the MangoHud directory doesn't exist so you'll need to create it.

You'll need to override a specific overlay level. For example, if you paste this into the file, it'll override level 1:
code:
[preset 1]
table_columns=6
legacy_layout=0
horizontal
time_format=%H:%M %m/%d
background_alpha=0.0
time
battery
battery_watt
battery_time
That'll include the time, date, BATT and battery percentage, the current drain on the battery, and the remaining time, with no HUD background (background_alpha=0.0 does that).
If you want to play around with it the options are semi-documented here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/flightlessmango/MangoHud/master/data/MangoHud.conf
The time_format uses std::put_time() internally so you can reference this for the available options: https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/io/manip/put_time

You can edit the file with a game running if you're using ssh, or a text editor on the deck in game mode, or any other way to alter the file while the game is active. Switch the performance level away from and back to the number you altered and it'll pick up any changes.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Nitrousoxide posted:

I will warn that the Sunshine host has been an ENORMOUS pain in the rear end to get working through flatpak or appimage on linux, and especially so in Wayland.

So much so I largely gave up and installed it through a rootful distrobox container, or if it's available, through a regular package via the package manager. Don't waste like 20 hours like I did trying to get it working with the least amount of permissions necessary.

The Sunshine server is probably way less of an issue to get working in windows though, so if that's where you're streaming from :thumbsup:

Yeah it was painless in Win11 but I'm not surprised to hear that it was a PITA on linux

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 16, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You don’t even need fancy zipper detection. It’s as simple as

IF TEMP >= $TooHot THEN ChargeRate=Slow

I’ve had this argument a lot in this thread and it doesn’t make sense why valve doesn’t do more with charging and sleep mode.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wish more games came preset with Steam Deck tuned graphic settings like Witcher 3. What other major games that do that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cyberpunk has one

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anyone know how The Hunt: Showdown runs on the deck? Thanks :)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone know how The Hunt: Showdown runs on the deck? Thanks :)

Seems playable: https://www.protondb.com/app/594650

Desjardy
Aug 11, 2010

Annath posted:

Does Pathfinder WotR play decently on the Deck?

On PC it asks if you're using a controller, so I assume its UI can accommodate it, but how does it actually play?

Al's, can you use the Unity Mod Manager with it? I don't use a ton of mods, but some QoL fixes are nice to have.

It's been running well for me so far with the default control scheme but haven't tried any mods. You might have the manually increase text size in the options though so keep that in mind

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

gently caress yeah, thanks for sharing this wholesome as hell story :unsmith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

Hell yes this rules

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk plays loving amazing on the deck. Can't believe more people didn't talk about this game this year. Never liked Jet Set Radio and never had the chance to play JSRF so I'm delighted to finally get to play a good version of this idea

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

abraham linksys posted:

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk plays loving amazing on the deck. Can't believe more people didn't talk about this game this year. Never liked Jet Set Radio and never had the chance to play JSRF so I'm delighted to finally get to play a good version of this idea

As someone who loves both JSR and JSRF, BRC feels like the natural evolution of the series and I liked it quite a bit as well. Curious how SEGA is going to evolve the series with the new JSR they announced, and would they be willing to hire Team Reptile to help with it.

Also, BRC is the first game where I really took advantage of the cloud saves making it easy to switch between playing the game at 4k 120 on my fancy OLED TV and then taking the Steam Deck with me to the can and basically starting where I last saved. Beat the game before the OLED came out, but it's installed on there as well and does a smooth 90.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Re: Tetris talk, I'm hugely partial to Puyo Puyo Tetris. It feels snappy and has really nice visual + sound effects when you do fancy thing like T-spin or tetris.

I thought I would love Tetris Effect. After all it's co-produced by the guy who did Lumines and that's a GOAT puzzle game for me (definitely check it out). But I kinda don't care for the soundtrack in this one, nor the game modes, nor the abstract visuals. Puyo feels punchier and more visceral. I love a good loving thonk when the block hard-drops.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I remember hearing Alex Navarro talk about Jazzpunk on GB forever ago. Finally got around to picking it up (it's $3.75 on sale).

Wow, I can already tell I'm gonna love this. It's very clever and weird and charming in a Frog Fractions sort of way.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Steam's streaming has always performed horribly for me. I'm talking about the image freezing for a minute or more at a time while audio continues to play, and if I sit at the machine rendering the game I can see that the game is running normally and my inputs are still being received properly.

I have wifi 6 routers giving good coverage to my home, there isn't much network congestion from neighbors, and my non-wireless devices are all connected via CAT6 ethernet.

What can I do to try to diagnose this?

After extensive tinkering, I have found that disabling Hardware Decoding in Remote Play in Settings on the Deck eliminates the image freezing problem. I found persons on Reddit claiming they experience the same freezing issues, so I'm not the only one. Maybe there's a bug?

Anyway, with hardware decoding off streaming is working fine.

Interestingly, hardware decoding was also causing issues with brightness, games were much too dark. So... a bug?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If I were to buy a $500 handheld to play Pokemon romhacks, which ones would be recommended for this? I got to play with a Steam Deck at a convention recently, and they're pretty nifty.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heran Bago posted:

:3:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

orange juche posted:

If I were to buy a $500 handheld to play Pokemon romhacks, which ones would be recommended for this? I got to play with a Steam Deck at a convention recently, and they're pretty nifty.
If you’re just playing pokemon I don’t think you need a $500 handheld for it. I use my 64gb deck and it’s fine for pokemon, but I could easily make do with any one of the $200 handhelds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vegetable posted:

If you’re just playing pokemon I don’t think you need a $500 handheld for it. I use my 64gb deck and it’s fine for pokemon, but I could easily make do with any one of the $200 handhelds.

I was being just a bit facetious lol, that said, how does the Deck handle something like PS2 or higher level emulation? From what I understand when you get up to more modern consoles and also PC games the Steam Deck is either the best performance per dollar in the price range or close to it.