Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

this is the exact opposite of what's going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
so why dont we just do the texas policy and all (brown) immigrants get sent to canada and we keep the acceptables

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Paradoxish posted:

People are probably just killing themselves because the vibes are a little off. They should look at this chart proving that everything is fine instead.

If the economy is so bad then why did you buy that expensive gun to kill yourself with hmmm? :colbert:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
What's the cutoff for "high-income households"? I myself have been struggling despite earning over 100k. To be frank, I was overspending anyway, but inflation hosed me. Am I one of these households or is the bar even higher than that? The article doesn't say and I don't want to sit through ads to watch the video.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

anonumos posted:

What's the cutoff for "high-income households"? I myself have been struggling despite earning over 100k. To be frank, I was overspending anyway, but inflation hosed me. Am I one of these households or is the bar even higher than that? The article doesn't say and I don't want to sit through ads to watch the video.

That's the cool part about VIbes World, you just never define it and it means whatever the reader wants.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I got Doomsday Econ doompilled and thought this in June of 2020 and got owned missing the entire money printing covid rally. I bought back in after the bank failures and I am never taking profits again and will be buried with my stocks.

What part of "Number go up" did you not understand????

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I will hodl my 401k forever because if it becomes worthless poo poo will be bad enough I'm not going to care anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how did the people holding Bed bath and beyond turn out ?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

euphronius posted:

You mean the apes about to make $gorillions once ryan cohen issues them new equivalent stonks in g'merica?

Griz
May 21, 2001

anonumos posted:

i'm not watching their video either (whatever happened to accessibility concerns?) but the "richcession" nonsense has been going on since summer and it just means overpaid do-nothing tech scum are getting decimated so the bosses can make more money from stock buybacks, and all the current job openings are either fake or part-time retail/foodservice poo poo jobs

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/16/rather-than-a-recession-we-could-be-in-a-richcession-instead.html

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

employment has gone up even though the liberal news is dominated by layoff stories

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
everyone wants to work

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

I'm not watching the video but from the article

quote:

The stock market, a source of wealth for the rich, struggled in 2022. The S&P 500 sank more than 19%. The same year, 1.8 million Americans lost their millionaire status, according to UBS’ 2023 Global Wealth Survey. Despite the stock market’s summer rally in 2023, the U.S. economy still faces several headwinds.

The S&P 500 is higher than Jan 1, 2022, but that's what they use as evidence lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Griz posted:

i'm not watching their video either (whatever happened to accessibility concerns?) but the "richcession" nonsense has been going on since summer and it just means overpaid do-nothing tech scum are getting decimated so the bosses can make more money from stock buybacks, and all the current job openings are either fake or part-time retail/foodservice poo poo jobs

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/16/rather-than-a-recession-we-could-be-in-a-richcession-instead.html

class traitors got burned oh no

Apr 7, 2003

RealityWarCriminal posted:

everyone wants to work

wagecucks stay winning

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm not watching the video but from the article

The S&P 500 is higher than Jan 1, 2022, but that's what they use as evidence lol

Right that part just didn't really make any sense. Over the past several years my 401k has been killing it, yeah it cratered in 2022 but it bounced back heavily this year so presuming you're not pretending to be a broker and trying to time the market then all that means is you got stocks at a discount in 2022. People with extra money sitting around also got to take advantage of all the super high rates in safe stuff like short term treasuries, cd's, high yield savings over the last year, even if you were worried about putting money in the overall stock market every extra 10 grand you had lying around could make you a free 500 bucks with no risk.

Beyond that wealthier people probably bought their houses/got to refi during low interest periods so they aren't getting hit with the rent skyrocketing or housing prices + mortgage interest outscaling their ability to save up to try to buy one. Groceries getting more expensive is a rounding error in a high earner's budget, so outside of I dunno trying to get a new car you're mostly insulated from the worst effects of inflation.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

euphronius posted:

My partner knew one of these guys and he got divorced, had to sell his furniture on Craigslist, moved back in with his Mom and had to pick up a second job at a weed dispensary

Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

My partner knew one of these guys and he got divorced, had to sell his furniture on Craigslist, moved back in with his Mom and had to pick up a second job at a weed dispensary

that rules

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
For richer, for poorer, unless you lose all our money gambling on meme stocks.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Beached Whale posted:

weed dispensary sounds like a great second job if the employee discounts are any good

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

weed dispensary sounds like a great second job if the employee discounts are any good

have to deal with annoying stoners all day. pass

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hurr hurr this one got the thicc crystals.. bro you got the Demon Deluxe Chronic? gently caress off

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Smythe posted:

your a mod

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

Probably less of an issue if you're a stoner yourself

Which I assume every dispensary employee is

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rents are skyrocketing because you keep paying them on time, like a peasant. The solution to this problem is left as an exercise to the reader.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the place at the shore we like to rent went up 25% in one year hahah .

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

your a mod

i havent done any moderating in years

selec
Sep 6, 2003

weed stores can kick you out the moment you become annoying, they are printing money in those places, so the annoying weed guy will be told to buy or leave—a lot of places are very tightly organized anyway, and they will get you in and out.

most of the people I’ve seen in line at every weed store I went to looked like boring yuppies or rednecks, very few stoners.

the most annoying weed guy in any scenario is gonna be the seller, anyway. nobody worse than a guy who wants to talk to you for an hour about libertarianism or Dragon Ball Z because you had the temerity to want to buy weed, for money.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i have a bong. a small bong. about one foot tall, narrow chamber. plain glass - no color change. thats how i like it. very rarely i will go to the weed store, it's just up the street. there is an armed guard. he checks my id. i have to take it out to show him. then, my id is passed to some sort of counter inside. the weed store is nice, sterile - like an apple store built with the blood of latin american famers instead of congolese cobalt miners. there an attractive woman with neck tatoos buzzes me in. now i have to pick the weed. theyre all too strong for me. i'd like a simple weed. i can ask "do you have lovely weed full of stems of which i can "rope" a whole bowl to my "dome" without dying? and they say sure, try this - it's Coconut Vanilla High Orbit Indica Mellow Haze. to me is sounds like an oregonian IPA had sex with the skin care aisle at cvs. its too strong, i smoke it once and give the rest away. what ever happened to dirt weed? who's smoking this stuff? oh, i know, its all the annoying people at the weed store. no thanks

written in a bad attempt at andy rooney candor

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Smythe posted:

i havent done any moderating in years

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
excited that a microwave burrito will cost $100 in our lifetimes

RadiRoot posted:

will someone please think of the rich people :ohdear:

we're thinking about them all the time

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

BULBASAUR posted:

we're thinking about them all the time

Rent-free? Hmm...

Apr 7, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

excited that a microwave burrito will cost $100 in our lifetimes

I decided to pull some screenshots from that 2007 Modern Marvels supermarket episode, what a world

Apr 7, 2003

'

so many crackers, for less than $2. a magical land of plenty

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Smythe posted:

i have a bong. a small bong. about one foot tall, narrow chamber. plain glass - no color change. thats how i like it. very rarely i will go to the weed store, it's just up the street. there is an armed guard. he checks my id. i have to take it out to show him. then, my id is passed to some sort of counter inside. the weed store is nice, sterile - like an apple store built with the blood of latin american famers instead of congolese cobalt miners. there an attractive woman with neck tatoos buzzes me in. now i have to pick the weed. theyre all too strong for me. i'd like a simple weed. i can ask "do you have lovely weed full of stems of which i can "rope" a whole bowl to my "dome" without dying? and they say sure, try this - it's Coconut Vanilla High Orbit Indica Mellow Haze. to me is sounds like an oregonian IPA had sex with the skin care aisle at cvs. its too strong, i smoke it once and give the rest away. what ever happened to dirt weed? who's smoking this stuff? oh, i know, its all the annoying people at the weed store. no thanks

Oh no this weed is too good stupid weed store

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

anonumos posted:

Americans are strongly encouraged to redline their finances (and then feel bad about it by rear end in a top hat pop "financial advisors") so very rapid inflation is going to gently caress pretty much everyone. You have to be either very rich or living well below what's expected for your income level to not be affected at least a little bit by the last few years.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

So it's like beer. The regular hipsters love fancy single hop IPAs and bespoke, curated cannabis strains but the ultimate hipsters just go for PBR and brick weed.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I decided to pull some screenshots from that 2007 Modern Marvels supermarket episode, what a world

love to buy bleach and ammonia

Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

love to buy bleach and ammonia

The ammonia is only eighty nine cents, why wouldn’t you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

selec posted:

weed stores can kick you out the moment you become annoying, they are printing money in those places, so the annoying weed guy will be told to buy or leave—a lot of places are very tightly organized anyway, and they will get you in and out.

most of the people I’ve seen in line at every weed store I went to looked like boring yuppies or rednecks, very few stoners.

the most annoying weed guy in any scenario is gonna be the seller, anyway. nobody worse than a guy who wants to talk to you for an hour about libertarianism or Dragon Ball Z because you had the temerity to want to buy weed, for money.

The best part about legal weed is just going to an established place with regular hours and buying over the counter for a predictable amount of money from a bored Latina who wants you to get the gently caress out her face asap.

You don’t have to know “a guy” who randomly has whatever or nothing at all, meets you in random sketch places, or worse. his pad, and then you gotta chill with him and listen to his bullshit.

the place I went to today, my usual spot, hasn’t had power for two weeks and it’s never see anybody working there more than once, and nobody will say poo poo as to why they’re selling weed in a storefront with no electricity. So there’s still room for weed adventures.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Dec 31, 2023