Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The article does not need citations.

It need material changes to recognize the supremacy of SARS‑CoV‑2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DickParasite posted:

Unrelated- do any AusGoons know if Australia's gotten the updated Novavax?

The most recent ATAGi statement which mentions it at all only says:

quote:

Novavax XBB.1.5 vaccine is not currently available. Novavax Original vaccine can be given to people aged 12 years and older, but XBB.1.5-based vaccines are preferred.
https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-recommendations-on-use-of-the-moderna-and-pfizer-monovalent-omicron-xbb15-covid-19-vaccines

If anyone wants to keep an eye on the ATAGI vaxx statements this page has links to them all, in order of most recent to oldest: https://www.health.gov.au/committees-and-groups/australian-technical-advisory-group-on-immunisation-atagi?language=und

Meanwhile, in covid hospitalizations up until Dec 26:

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/infectious-diseases/victorian-covid-19-surveillance-report

Hmmmm, I don't have a degree in epidemiology but in my opinion that might indicate it'd be a good idea to increase the number of updated vaccines that are going into arms around here

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 08:57 on Dec 31, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1740751783721599406

Good thing we had a very low % of folks who even bothered getting the XBB boosters!

The efficacy witnessed now is a far cry from the ninety‐five percent reduction in symptomatic COVID‑19 that was seen in the trials.

Even so, if the updated formulations were delivered around the world, the reduction in mortality could be equivalent to outright eliminating one of the other major scourges. Tuberculosis, malaria, and AIDS are each estimated by WHO to kill fewer than one million people annually.

COVID‑19 kills multiple millions every year. The vaccines we have now are eminently capable of reducing that toll by one million.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

The efficacy witnessed now is a far cry from the ninety‐five percent reduction in symptomatic COVID‑19 that was seen in the trials.

Even so, if the updated formulations were delivered around the world, the reduction in mortality could be equivalent to outright eliminating one of the other major scourges. Tuberculosis, malaria, and AIDS are each estimated by WHO to kill fewer than one million people annually.

COVID‑19 kills multiple millions every year. The vaccines we have now are eminently capable of reducing that toll by one million.

No can do, that's potentially a million more people the ruling class would have to worry about in future riots. Gotta keep clipping that grass.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/buds_uk/status/1740798664455459301?s=46

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The old times are back.

Platystemon posted:

Hahaha this crack–pings the microCOVID calculator.

People who have been to a bar in New York City in the past week are so likely to get COVID that they are assumed to have Omicron and Delta tag‐teaming their body.

Context:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/this-manhattan-neighborhood-may-be-1-of-the-most-covid-infected-spots-in-america/3465350/?amp posted:

This Manhattan Neighborhood May Be 1 of the Most COVID-Infected Spots in America

The latest transmission data from New York City shows nearly 3% (2,927 cases per 100,000) of the residents of Greenwich Village have been infected in the last seven days; Washington D.C., where omicron is raging like wildfire, is "only" up to 158 cases per 100,000, NYT data shows

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Platystemon posted:

The old times are back.

Context:

why do you hate number

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

puncturewound78 posted:

love to see disparagement against disorders in a disability aware thread. poggers.

now that right there is a bs take

narcissists and psychopaths can actually gently caress right off from being around the vulnerable, and it's sketch to state otherwise

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Home for the holidays and unprompted my father brings up how mild Omicron was in South Africa and what a mistake lockdowns were. Goes on to say COVID is no worse than the common cold.

I had to remind him my nephew has been bedridden for 2 weeks by a COVID like flu. Of course his response to that is immunity debt from lockdown which ended over 2 years ago.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Huge thanks to the goons who posted about Test2Treat in this thread. I have an immunocompromised relative in California who just popped positive (they live in Auras but I wonder if their dog could have been an asymptomatic carrier). Passed on the link from this thread and they said they filled in an online questionnaire, said they tested positive but didn't have a photo of the test (they'd thrown it away), selected email consult and home delivery of medication, gave a brief description of their condition in the "first message to your doctor" box along with mentioning they'd taken Paxlovid before with only minor side effects. This all took place around 8:30pm on a Saturday btw. They just messaged me they got an email around midnight saying a prescription for Pax was being sent to GoGoMeds pharmacy, which AFAIK is the one Test2Treat uses for home delivery. Considering the last time they got got the pharmacy gave them a hard time for coming in when that was their only option, this is much better.

(Dog is apparently her usual happy derp self btw.)

Goddamn Particle has issued a correction as of 12:17 on Dec 31, 2023

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
hell yeah good job!

it arrived in 3 days for me.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I suspect there's a lot of fucky wucky with covid numbers (in addition to the standard affair) by hospitals only reporting covid positive patients that are admitted. Cause my 3 shifts this week I watched easily over a hundred people pass through the waiting room pissing hot for covid and just getting sent home yet the official scoreboard on the hospital intranet only says 14 covid patients.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The most recent ATAGi statement which mentions it at all only says:

https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-recommendations-on-use-of-the-moderna-and-pfizer-monovalent-omicron-xbb15-covid-19-vaccines

If anyone wants to keep an eye on the ATAGI vaxx statements this page has links to them all, in order of most recent to oldest: https://www.health.gov.au/committees-and-groups/australian-technical-advisory-group-on-immunisation-atagi?language=und

Thanks for that. I have to travel internationally in a few weeks and would like to get a booster before hand. So my options are the XBB1.5 updated Moderna or Pfizer monovalents or the older Novavax. Love gambling my health on this poo poo.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Asproigerosis posted:

I suspect there's a lot of fucky wucky with covid numbers (in addition to the standard affair) by hospitals only reporting covid positive patients that are admitted. Cause my 3 shifts this week I watched easily over a hundred people pass through the waiting room pissing hot for covid and just getting sent home yet the official scoreboard on the hospital intranet only says 14 covid patients.

We have the tools (to cover up covid)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Asproigerosis posted:

Well yeah, for example the "of" not "with" thing was entirely about that. I recall that the definition has sometimes been further mangled, so a nosocomial infection was neither with nor of and people hospitalized due to acute COVID, were neither dying "with" nor "of" if they were no longer testing positive at time of death.

Most of that stuff can be argued as reasonable, like the notion that the registration was entirely due to the added resources of quarantining, so if that wasn't the case patients shouldn't be put in as COVID patients. But within the confines of that argument, it is difficult to see how numbers could then still be used in the same manner as before.

So we are never going to see the Omicron wave numbers again I don't think, as the registration methodologies have essentially changed (and there are generally fewer beds available as well).

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
There's been a bit of a lol in reporting

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
it’s fascinating to see how bad things are in some states according to cdc wastewater

edit: Louisiana and Oklahoma are like people screaming for help on 911 and then being disconnected

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 13:54 on Dec 31, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

gradenko_2000 posted:

welp, spouse woke up with a high fever and just tested clearly positive for COVID, which means it's only a matter of time before I catch up to her

time for round two - at least it's been more than eight months since (and ~three months since getting boosted)
Good luck goon

:wow:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
this is apparently drawn from the NOIDs data set that this guy's been pulling from, because there's a full month between ONS Winter Infection Survey updates
https://twitter.com/skeuomorphology/status/1740455621684801545#m
https://twitter.com/skeuomorphology/status/1740456822002081929#m
it's a great idea really, have constant data collection only over the worst months, and even then release updates only occasionally over Christmas and New Year so it doesn't Frighten The Economy

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2023/12/31/2023-covid-ukraine-israel-gaza-impact-public-health/72033154007/ posted:

As we close a year of global public health wins and tragedies, 2024 holds hope for all
World Health Organization director-general: Post-COVID life might have returned to normal. But without peace, there is no health, and without health there can be no peace.
Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus | Opinion contributor

2023 was a year of milestones and challenges in global public health.

In May, I declared an end to COVID-19 as a public health emergency of international concern. This marked a turning point for the world following three years of crisis, pain and loss for people everywhere.

I am glad to see that life has returned to normal.
(..)
:crnasickos:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

CGI Stardust posted:

this is apparently drawn from the NOIDs data set that this guy's been pulling from, because there's a full month between ONS Winter Infection Survey updates
https://twitter.com/skeuomorphology/status/1740455621684801545#m
https://twitter.com/skeuomorphology/status/1740456822002081929#m
it's a great idea really, have constant data collection only over the worst months, and even then release updates only occasionally over Christmas and New Year so it doesn't Frighten The Economy

Lmao we are going to be in for such a beautiful treat of numbers once this past week's data rolls in (it's gonna be mega)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

gradenko_2000 posted:

welp, spouse woke up with a high fever and just tested clearly positive for COVID, which means it's only a matter of time before I catch up to her

time for round two - at least it's been more than eight months since (and ~three months since getting boosted)

You forgot to declare the COVID mild and thanking the vaccines.

But in all seriousness, sorry to hear and I hope you avoid getting it from her :unsmith:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

only your respirator trust, I believe in you

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

maxwellhill posted:

There's been a bit of a lol in reporting

haha this is good

things are worse than reporting makes them lmaot to be

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
me niece got it, now fil has it, today mil is going to church bc she feels fine lol ha ha ha

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://x.com/bajathefrog/status/1741468080960573946?s=46&t=b23kGbnuFi54qJQa-UIGzw

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

incredible interview from a year and a half ago

https://x.com/joaquinlife/status/1741110679099318347?s=46

“I got forgetful and confused sometimes now, are you saying I have brain damage?”

“ummmm”

we just dont know

yeah actually we know enough and its already bad and just getting worse

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Love that covid is over and now exists exclusively in wastewater. Happy no one died in the last six months :toot:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I follow a bunch of Patreons because my partner and I run a little 3D printing business as a side gig/for fun, and this is now the seventh one of these updates we've seen in the last four or five days (surprise twist at the end that wasn't there when I first saw this post):

Most of these people aren't even in the US and it's more than 2/3 of the creators we follow posting some variation of "I literally can't get out of bed" lmao

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Pingui posted:

quote:

I am glad to see that life has returned to normal.
:crnasickos:

There is nothing more important than Normal. At all costs we must avoid changes in our behavior, actions, perspective or ideas.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
non americans about to experience tons of immunity debt in this first holiday season without restrictions

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RealityWarCriminal posted:

non americans about to experience tons of immunity debt in this first holiday season without restrictions

Sure it seems that way now, but in a year's time everyone will realize that this is currently a lockdown.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
can't get out of bed because the world hurts? lockdown

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
One weird trick to curbing your untrustworthy lying eyes: gouge them out.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/wa-health-cuts-hundreds-of-jobs-as-federal-covid-funds-run-out/ posted:

WA Health cuts hundreds of jobs as federal COVID funds run out

Washington’s Department of Health has cut over 300 employees who helped with the state’s pandemic response and hundreds more of these jobs are on the chopping block as federal COVID aid dries up.

The department already slashed 356 positions and will soon lose funding for 349 more. Funding for most of the jobs will lapse by July 2024 and all federal COVID-19 funds for staff will end by July 2025, according to an agency spokesperson, Roberto Bonaccorso.

Similar cuts are happening nationwide as federal COVID relief funding expires. Public health advocates are warning that as jobs like these are eliminated, it threatens to leave states in a weaker position responding to the next public health crisis.

From January 2020 to October 2023, Washington State Department of Health COVID-19 hires cost nearly $316 million. The department’s total two-year operating budget for 2021-23 was $3.2 billion, with COVID funding accounting for about half of that total.

Jobs already cut by the Department of Health include positions in vaccine distribution, community outreach, COVID-19 testing services, contact tracing and tracking public health data.

Other jobs involved developing COVID-19 guidance for public settings like schools, prisons and workplaces, supporting local health agencies when outbreaks happened and providing respirator-fit training in health care facilities.
(..)
In response to questions about this, Bonaccorso said in an emailed statement that “DOH is continuously evaluating what our agency activities are from the pandemic/endemic response and will match our request with our agency needs for the future of COVID-19.”
(..)
The job cuts in Washington reflect a national trend, said Brian Castrucci, an epidemiologist who leads the de Beaumont Foundation, a public health think tank. Castrucci likened the cuts to laying off soldiers after the “worst military conflict in history.”
(..)
Castrucci pointed out that COVID-19 is here to stay, regardless of whether it’s still considered a pandemic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention declared an end to the COVID-19 public health emergency in May.

“COVID is going to be a cause of death, if not a leading cause of death, for Americans for the foreseeable future,” Castrucci said.
(..)
“If you’re an elected [official], and you’re allowing your health department to shrink right now, the blood of the next pandemic is already on your hands,” Castrucci said.

“States have to step up and fund public health,” he added. “We maintain a police force without the federal government paying for it. Why can’t we maintain a public health workforce?”

Unfortunately affluenza isn't a real disease.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

One weird trick to curbing your untrustworthy lying eyes: gouge them out.

quote:

“States have to step up and fund public health,” he added.

Doesn't look that way, Brian.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

spiritual bypass posted:

lmao that rules, the hospital is gonna make so much money from that

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Doing a search for COVID news on Google, was less than enlightening today:

(There were 38 of these identical articles on the page)

In case anyone is wondering if it's because the article is just that good:

quote:

(..)
A year ago, China lifted draconian COVID restrictions that were an anvil around the neck of the economy and placed unprecedented controls on a society that, for the previous four decades, had grown accustomed to expanding personal freedoms, not shrinking them.

Many expected the country to bounce back quickly, with economic growth reverting to a slower but respectable mean. That hasn't happened. And as 2024 approaches, there is a crisis of confidence in China that the authorities appear to be doing little to address, instead nibbling at the edges of policy and avoiding bold steps to revive the economy and regain public trust in policymaking.

Jiang is one of several people NPR recently spoke with to try to gauge the mood in post-pandemic China and highlight how things have changed over time.

For Jiang, who did not want his full name used for fear of possible repercussions for speaking candidly to a foreign reporter, economic conditions are actually worse now than during the pandemic, when he started the appliance business, he says. He isn't selling as much as he used to.
(..)

:goofy:

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

sorta reluctant to post this cause i don't like giving pets pills but it worked, and maybe could help someone elses cat or dog that is having problems?

My cat started acting ill and out of character 3 days after i got covid a couple weeks ago. Lethargic, not smelling/enjoying food, looking around in a confused way, chasing stuff that wasn't there, staring off into space vacantly, not able to follow thrown toys. Similar to my own symptoms. Found this site https://www.vin.com/vetzinsight/default.aspx?pid=756&id=5688123 (long page, ctrl-f Nattokinase. Warning: lots of sad stories too) about using Nattokinase to get rid of blood clots to prevent limb loss in very ill cats.

Nattokinase: An Oral Antithrombotic Agent for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease posted:

Nattokinase is considered to be a safe, powerful, low cost, and all-natural supplement for the treatment of heart and cardiovascular disease [5,6,7]. Animal [3,4,8] and human trials [9,10,11] have demonstrated that NK provides support to the circulatory system by thinning the blood and dissolving blood clots. When dogs were orally administered four NK capsules (2000 FU/capsule), chemically-induced thrombi in the major leg vein were completely dissolved within five hours and normal blood flood was restored [8].

People putting like 15-20 pills into some tuna and they say it fixes things. (i've taken it myself and it does help w chest pain/ bloodflow issues but only ever took 1 or 2 pills at a time.) I didn't want to give my cat drugs or do anything that's going to possibly hurt her in any way but her erratic behavior this past ~week has been extremely frightening and can't get a vet appointment till into next month. The only dangers i could find is possible allergies and the chance that a clot will move somewhere else in the body. So I tested a very small amount in food to check for no allergric reactions or anything and there were none. Then the next day gave just one pill in the afternoon (4-15 seems like way too much for a small cat) and within a couple hours she was back to playtime mode catching toys out of the air, eating lots of food and being friendly and cuddly again. That was three days ago and she has been happy and coherent since then. poo poo probably sounds crazy but i'm so happy to have my friend back feeling better again.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

spiritual bypass posted:

lmao that rules, the hospital is gonna make so much money from that

thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's over 24 hours from my novavax shot and I feel... just fine? Kinda disappointed.