Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AEW's not going anywhere unless like, something insane happens to the company or to TK.

If TNA / Impact is still around after two decades of gently caress-up after gently caress-up, I genuinely can't see AEW going anywhere, anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Some lame rear end WWE style booking tonight with Copeland winning the title and immediately losing it back to Christian. Almost as bad as how Jade lost the TBS title.

It’s both awful and fine depending on the followup. If the payoff is Killswitch destroying Christian eventually, it’ll be worth it. If it’s just to get Christian heat, it’s stupid because he’s already hugely over.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Benne posted:

He said the gray beard was some kind of statement about embracing your natural hair color or something. Which is all fine and good, but when you're an entertainer on a television show, you don't want people to think you're like 80 years old.

I think it could have worked just fine, but it needed more than just "is gray." I'm totally down with old man winkerbean destroying mofos.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Warthur posted:

Honestly the plausible worst case scenario is that AEW loses their TV deal with WBD, doesn't get another one, and for the sake of remaining viable has to switch to a mode like it was in before Dynamite started where they do a big tentpole show every few months. A lot of people would lose their jobs because you simply need less people at the office and less people under contract to keep that going, but the silver lining is that it will be an opportunity to retool and rethink.

In that scenario I would figure that AEW would merge with ROH under the ROH name and go streaming-only, which would require a signficant shedding of personnel.

Those saying they'd get another TV are probably right, the issue is would it be financially enough to maintain their current levels of spending, or would it require either cutting expenses (meaning personnel again) or operating at a loss. It's one thing to be in the red while getting the show on the road, but at this point if the product can't pay for itself, it may not be worth it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

C. Everett Koop posted:

Those saying they'd get another TV are probably right, the issue is would it be financially enough to maintain their current levels of spending

Yes.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Benne posted:

He said the gray beard was some kind of statement about embracing your natural hair color or something. Which is all fine and good, but when you're an entertainer on a television show, you don't want people to think you're like 80 years old.

copeland's beard has more than a little grey in it. the beard alone isnt whats doing that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shard posted:

aew hell isn't for hoping the place goes out of business. It's meant for voicing valid criticisms of a product we want to see get better and succeed.

hmmmm it would be extremely funny if they went out of business though...

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Depends on the context

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i think its totally possible that tony just gives up one day and explodes it

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Tony needs to sell his failing soccer team and pathetic nfl team and devote all his time and effort to AEW imho

Warthur
May 2, 2004

On thinking further about it I agree that if WBD don't renew, AEW will have offers - after all, there were places happy to house Impact when it was in the doldrums.

The real risk isn't that AEW doesn't have TV suitors - it's that Tony decides that none of the offers he gets are worth bothering with and passes on them all in a huff. If the offers he gets would require him to trim back the presentation to a point which he feels is beneath his dignity, I could see that happening.

But it's much more likely someone gives him an offer he considers viable.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Seams posted:

Tony needs to sell his failing soccer team and pathetic nfl team and devote all his time and effort to AEW imho

isn't his nfl team in the playoffs?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That DICK! posted:

i think its totally possible that tony just gives up one day and explodes it

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

fawning deference posted:

Okay well then I take back that it IS an act, but the fact that it FEELS like one and that he's not charismatic, I still stand by

It's his real speaking voice because one of the things that came out with his release was Vince saying "you sound too smart for a big black guy"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

magical

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I still cannot believe Tony Khan answered the first harassment question at the media scrum in Toni’s huge hat and sun glasses

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

I still cannot believe Tony Khan answered the first harassment question at the media scrum in Toni’s huge hat and sun glasses

it really sums tony up in a nutshell. rather than addressing the controversy at the top and getting it out of the way he was just hoping it would not come up somehow and things would all work out and he could just do his fun boss schtick. as a result he had to answer the very serious question with a wacky hat and sunglasses on

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

hmmmm it would be extremely funny if they went out of business though...

Goons: “it would be extremely funny if AEW went out of business”

Also goons: “WTF why is WWE the only game in town”

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Thankfully we have you here to pull back the curtain on these nefarious Goons and their constant hypocrisy

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the problem is we don't know which one of this goon thought is the correct goon thought that goon must adhere to. it's a god drat mess

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

fart blood posted:

There seems to be a consistent issue where people are being worked by the Hell Thread. Don't get worked by the Hell Thread.

And, y'know, don't generalize in general...

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

concerning

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

There seems to be a consistent issue where people are being worked by the Hell Thread. Don't get worked by the Hell Thread.

So much this.
At first I was like "hell thread bad" but then I realized that this whole thread is a wonderful dumpster fire. If you're in here you just gotta waft in that pungent odor and enjoy the ride.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

This is the only honest aew discussion on the net.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

This is the only honest aew discussion on the net.

That's right.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Time to close the honeypot and perma the fake fans.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That DICK! posted:

it really sums tony up in a nutshell. rather than addressing the controversy at the top and getting it out of the way he was just hoping it would not come up somehow and things would all work out and he could just do his fun boss schtick. as a result he had to answer the very serious question with a wacky hat and sunglasses on

To be fair pretty much anyone coaching you through that poo poo would also give the advice of "uh yeah, absolutely do not start your scrum by giving time to the unsubstantiated rumors that are being leaked out by a crew of bitter weirdos with an axe to grind". They need to say something at some point but not there.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Thank you for stepping in and calming everything down.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Now that MJF has been ended all we need is Toni Storm to just loving stop and things will be fine

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If the gimmick continues to be old timey wrestlers and doing world of sports matches it will be good for once. Kind of crazy they put the belt on her before she actually figured it out and settled on something but people have been loving that slop.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

To be fair pretty much anyone coaching you through that poo poo would also give the advice of "uh yeah, absolutely do not start your scrum by giving time to the unsubstantiated rumors that are being leaked out by a crew of bitter weirdos with an axe to grind". They need to say something at some point but not there.

I think just saying that he will be available to take general questions at the end and to save anything for then would have helped. Add in something like "we'll only be answering questions about the show and the wrestler with me before that time" could work too.

Like everyone knows the questions were gonna be asked, so I think trying to cut it off before you get the scenario we got last night is a better idea than hoping nobody asks it at an awkward or inappropriate time. Because now we've got the image of Tony talking about harassment while looking like that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fart blood posted:

uh have yo uheard of one of the many pervert companies that people like to recommend

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Crowds eat up MJFs act too doesn't mean it should be anywhere near as important as presented

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

I think just saying that he will be available to take general questions at the end and to save anything for then would have helped. Add in something like "we'll only be answering questions about the show and the wrestler with me before that time" could work too.

Like everyone knows the questions were gonna be asked, so I think trying to cut it off before you get the scenario we got last night is a better idea than hoping nobody asks it at an awkward or inappropriate time. Because now we've got the image of Tony talking about harassment while looking like that.

Yeeeeaaaah that would have been a lot better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Putting the belt on Toni is like having world champion Danhausen. Crowds love him!