Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

It's over 24 hours from my novavax shot and I feel... just fine? Kinda disappointed.

Larval stage. Until you've built your cocoon and completed the transformation, your titer levels will remain at human levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Pingui posted:

One weird trick to curbing your untrustworthy lying eyes: gouge them out.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/wa-health-cuts-hundreds-of-jobs-as-federal-covid-funds-run-out/

Unfortunately affluenza isn't a real disease.

gently caress

I might be facing a forced retirement if they stop reporting after the "respiratory season" ends in April :smith:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

happy new tears
WA Health cuts hundreds of jobs as federal COVID funds run out

www.seattletimes.com - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 posted:

Washington’s Department of Health has cut over 300 employees who helped with the state’s pandemic response and hundreds more of these jobs are on the chopping block as federal COVID aid dries up.

The department already slashed 356 positions and will soon lose funding for 349 more. Funding for most of the jobs will lapse by July 2024 and all federal COVID-19 funds for staff will end by July 2025, according to an agency spokesperson, Roberto Bonaccorso.

Similar cuts are happening nationwide as federal COVID relief funding expires. Public health advocates are warning that as jobs like these are eliminated, it threatens to leave states in a weaker position responding to the next public health crisis. 

From January 2020 to October 2023, Washington State Department of Health COVID-19 hires cost nearly $316 million. The department’s total two-year operating budget for 2021-23 was $3.2 billion, with COVID funding accounting for about half of that total.

Jobs already cut by the Department of Health include positions in vaccine distribution, community outreach, COVID-19 testing services, contact tracing and tracking public health data. 

Other jobs involved developing COVID-19 guidance for public settings like schools, prisons and workplaces, supporting local health agencies when outbreaks happened and providing respirator-fit training in health care facilities.

It’s unclear to what extent the department will seek new state funding from the Legislature or move around money in its budget to save jobs that haven’t been eliminated yet.

In response to questions about this, Bonaccorso said in an emailed statement that “DOH is continuously evaluating what our agency activities are from the pandemic/endemic response and will match our request with our agency needs for the future of COVID-19.” 

A spokesperson for Gov. Jay Inslee noted in an email that the state’s current two-year budget does contain money for some affected programs, such as a mobile health clinic. They also said the governor’s budget proposal released earlier this month calls for additional spending for IT systems established or updated as part of the pandemic response.

“The governor’s supplemental budget continues to support the department’s transition out of emergency response and into recovery, incorporating COVID-19 activities into day-to-day public health operations,” the Inslee spokesperson added.

The job cuts in Washington reflect a national trend, said Brian Castrucci, an epidemiologist who leads the de Beaumont Foundation, a public health think tank. Castrucci likened the cuts to laying off soldiers after the “worst military conflict in history.” 

“It wouldn’t be a foreign nation which undoes our country, it would be a virus,” Castrucci said. “We are laying off the actual people who are here to fight against that possibility, after we lost a million American lives on American soil. It makes no sense.”

Castrucci pointed out that COVID-19 is here to stay, regardless of whether it’s still considered a pandemic. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention declared an end to the COVID-19 public health emergency in May. 

“COVID is going to be a cause of death, if not a leading cause of death, for Americans for the foreseeable future,” Castrucci said. 

Here in Washington, COVID-related hires were not considered long-term permanent positions by the Department of Health. 

Bonaccorso said the agency will take steps to “try and help minimize the impacts of layoffs to the extent possible” and noted that an internal career fair was held last year. 

“Employees in COVID-19 funded positions are more than welcome and encouraged to apply for any job opportunities here at DOH that align with their experience and interest,” the Department of Health said in a statement. 

Castrucci said Washington is fortunate to have leaders who value public health — which makes it all the more concerning that the department is cutting so many positions. 

“If you’re an elected [official], and you’re allowing your health department to shrink right now, the blood of the next pandemic is already on your hands,” Castrucci said. 

“States have to step up and fund public health,” he added. “We maintain a police force without the federal government paying for it. Why can’t we maintain a public health workforce?”
e: fb

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

There is nothing more important than Normal. At all costs we must avoid changes in our behavior, actions, perspective or ideas.

There is no god but Applebee's and Joe Biden is his prophet

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
:haibrow:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/michael_hoerger/status/1740613506947584284/photo/1

Over!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

welp, spouse woke up with a high fever and just tested clearly positive for COVID, which means it's only a matter of time before I catch up to her

time for round two - at least it's been more than eight months since (and ~three months since getting boosted)

Ugh, I'm really sorry. I hope she recovers quickly and you're able to avoid it. This world is a nightmare.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm going to go jam synthesizers with a group that's overall hard left, COVID woke but I'm still gonna be fascinated to see if anyone else is bothering to mask. On a holiday weekend following major family gatherings. During the second?? worst wave of the pandemic.

I've got my n95s and my RageApparel Rave Shawl to go over them. But I always pull it down just enough that the top of the n95 crests it. I'm not hiding my mask, I'm putting a hat on it.

Our older kid will be masking when she returns to the covid mines next week. The younger kid has zero mask experience (and also goes to a much smaller place where one of the people she population mixes with, is the child of my spouse's boss whom she works in a small office with, so we do all tend to get each other's poo poo... until now).

I've got an (expensive) rabbit air wall unit coming because I wanted something super quiet in here to also substantially help with weed and nail polish smells, but I also have stuff to build two corsis on the way, and I'm gonna mask around my friggin kids when they are sick, which is going to be weird at first but it seems like the alternative is definitely getting sick all the time and I am just loving done.

Older kid does also seem tired of being sick; I'll be curious to see how long she bucks social pressure and masks. Or, maybe there will actually be other kids masking again, I've seen some evidence of that and that brings me to

"things must be getting pretty bad out there!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lmao at the new community note on this

e: The contributors keep loving with it. For a while, it noted that 3000 people die of foodborne illness every year in America.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Dec 31, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pingui posted:

Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus | Opinion contributor

"I am glad to see that life has returned to normal."

This is the guy who admitted IT'S AIRBORNE before he was told to shut up about that.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I'm going to go jam synthesizers with a group that's overall hard left, COVID woke but I'm still gonna be fascinated to see if anyone else is bothering to mask. On a holiday weekend following major family gatherings. During the second?? worst wave of the pandemic.

I've got my n95s and my RageApparel Rave Shawl to go over them. But I always pull it down just enough that the top of the n95 crests it. I'm not hiding my mask, I'm putting a hat on it.

Our older kid will be masking when she returns to the covid mines next week. The younger kid has zero mask experience (and also goes to a much smaller place where one of the people she population mixes with, is the child of my spouse's boss whom she works in a small office with, so we do all tend to get each other's poo poo... until now).

I've got an (expensive) rabbit air wall unit coming because I wanted something super quiet in here to also substantially help with weed and nail polish smells, but I also have stuff to build two corsis on the way, and I'm gonna mask around my friggin kids when they are sick, which is going to be weird at first but it seems like the alternative is definitely getting sick all the time and I am just loving done.

Older kid does also seem tired of being sick; I'll be curious to see how long she bucks social pressure and masks. Or, maybe there will actually be other kids masking again, I've seen some evidence of that and that brings me to

hey it's the book movie with Sam Neil !

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Platystemon posted:

lmao at the new community note on this

3000 people? that's like 1 official day of official peak covid...are these health inspections of a waste of time and money?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

It's not funny, but it's a little funny that you are now back where you started but worse off now.

The pandemic!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I was struck by how there’s no video of Sleep Cycle’s cough radar feature in action so I took the liberty of whipping one up real quick. Sound may or may not be added :ninja:
https://vimeo.com/898937931

Merry Christmas, it’s looking pretty red out there.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

boosted again, first time with Pfizer because they ran out of the good stuff

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/daka_x/status/1739934423628529930?s=46

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Xlear spray users, how is yours? Mine burns like fire and misery, and my mom was bragging about how her nose was superior because she didn’t feel it, but actually her bottle doesn’t burn at all. What gives?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Anne Whateley posted:

Xlear spray users, how is yours? Mine burns like fire and misery, and my mom was bragging about how her nose was superior because she didn’t feel it, but actually her bottle doesn’t burn at all. What gives?

Yall buy from different places and maybe get a bootleg bottle?

Could also be something coming out of solution but idk the ingredient list is Four and only one of them is weird the grapefruit seed extract.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got Flo and when I read the bottle it sounds like its main function is hydrating your nose, and that hydrated noses are better at fighting off infection?

are the other sprays more bacteriocidal

I want my sprays to have more murderous intent

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/inkblue01/status/1741475427112178013?s=46

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Covid is stored in the balls?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kragger99 posted:

Covid is stored in the balls?

We were right all along.

e:

I've seen that line attributed to Sam Neil elsewhere but it's actually John Glover who says it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mztpY7ma61Q&t=425s

John Glover is one of those dudes who can bring just a touch of weirdness to his roles.

e2:

Although Sam says "Things are turning to poo poo out there aren't they?" two minutes later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mztpY7ma61Q&t=547s

gently caress I love this movie.

DickParasite has issued a correction as of 00:08 on Jan 1, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Today I learned that balls are a gated community with immune privilege, and Covid is somehow sneaking in there and claiming squatters rights

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/beansprouts_mom/status/1741558483131257168

There's a lot in here

https://gilchrist.great-site.net/jeff/COVID-19/?i=1

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
A simple but excellent thread

https://twitter.com/JohnSnowProject/status/1741491679507398693

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I got Flo and when I read the bottle it sounds like its main function is hydrating your nose, and that hydrated noses are better at fighting off infection?

are the other sprays more bacteriocidal

I want my sprays to have more murderous intent

Betadine cold Defence has iota carrageenan which acts as like a microscopic sticky trap for any virus not just Covid. Since it’s a mechanical effect it’s a lot less likely the virus will evolve around it. I think the only local US version with this active ingredient is Epothex.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Flo also uses iotacarrageenan maybe they just need to market it better

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2023/are-paxlovid-covid-treatments-still-free.html

quote:

If you come down with COVID-19 in the next few weeks and need treatment, you may not see a bill at all. During the transition, the government is encouraging health care providers and pharmacies “to continue to use federally acquired product until it is depleted or until it expires, at no cost to patients.”

lol so it's just "get it until it's gone" isn't it

quote:

You shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for treatment in the next few years if you’re uninsured. Pfizer says Paxlovid will remain free for people without health insurance through 2028, and beginning in 2025 it will be free for people who are underinsured, also through 2028. More information will be available soon at paxlovid.com or by calling 1-877-219-7225.

oh good, ho hum, i hope nothing happens between now and 2025!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Just a brief reminder to all that this is the day before the commercial market takes over Paxlovid. It will still (nominally) be free for select groups, but if you have private insurance it is anyone's guess what will happen. Expect some kind of cluster gently caress at the very least, making it difficult to ascertain if the Paxlovid you just received is free, with a copay or entirely on you.

Also happy New Year to all.

Edit: lol, Petey beat me to it. Cheers Petey :)

Pingui has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Jan 1, 2024

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Flo also uses iotacarrageenan maybe they just need to market it better

Does it? I’m seeing a lot of carrageenan in the ad copy for it but it doesn’t specifically say iota-carrageenan just ‘Carrageenan which is derived from red marine algae.’ Which really sets off my weasel detector, because kappa and lambda are derived from the same plant and are not shown to be as effective as iota (but they sure are cheaper).

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Pingui posted:

Just a brief reminder to all that this is the day before the commercial market takes over Paxlovid. It will still (nominally) be free for select groups, but if you have private insurance it is anyone's guess what will happen. Expect some kind of cluster gently caress at the very least, making it difficult to ascertain if the Paxlovid you just received is free, with a copay or entirely on you.

Also happy New Year to all.

Edit: lol, Petey beat me to it. Cheers Petey :)

you have been holding up the sky in this thread for months! i just happened to go looking for this because i saw some tweets about people saying they were going into pharmacies for pax and having the pharmacists say "well, you might as well get this, because we're not ordering any once it goes to insurance."

i emailed my benefits provider to clarify this — they're usually pretty good about covering stuff — but i do have a bridge strategy if needed.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Petey posted:

you have been holding up the sky in this thread for months! i just happened to go looking for this because i saw some tweets about people saying they were going into pharmacies for pax and having the pharmacists say "well, you might as well get this, because we're not ordering any once it goes to insurance."

i emailed my benefits provider to clarify this — they're usually pretty good about covering stuff — but i do have a bridge strategy if needed.

Yeah just like how many pharmacies stopped carrying the vaccines once they were on the hook, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot fewer places have paxlovid. The two contradicting factors would be:

A) Unlike vaccines, it's just a pack of pills so much easier to store.
B) Cost is ridiculous ($1300-1800?) and it's not clear to me how much the pharmacy has to front and/or how much they lose if it expires.

No word on pfizer extending the expiration dates. My guess is they won't bother officially extending the expiration of any of the existing packs that were shipped, and will just put a new longer expiration date on new packaging.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm genuinely curious, what sort of price range is a 'concierge doctor' in? A few thousand cash retainer a year? Tens of thousands? I'm curious to what degree that's an actual thing, though we all joke about it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It’s not that insane in NYC depending on the level of service. Obviously if you want everyone to come to you in your penthouse, that’s a lot of money, but the level of “concierge” where they reliably pick up the phone and your bloodwork is covered, stuff like that, is not insane

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Terrible news for the IDF

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm genuinely curious, what sort of price range is a 'concierge doctor' in? A few thousand cash retainer a year? Tens of thousands? I'm curious to what degree that's an actual thing, though we all joke about it.

iirc peter attia charges $150K per patient per year to be their PCP

nokiddin
Apr 29, 2008

DickParasite posted:

We were right all along.

e:

I've seen that line attributed to Sam Neil elsewhere but it's actually John Glover who says it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mztpY7ma61Q&t=425s

John Glover is one of those dudes who can bring just a touch of weirdness to his roles.

e2:

Although Sam says "Things are turning to poo poo out there aren't they?" two minutes later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mztpY7ma61Q&t=547s

gently caress I love this movie.

"I'm sorry about the balls!"

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Oracle posted:

Does it? I’m seeing a lot of carrageenan in the ad copy for it but it doesn’t specifically say iota-carrageenan just ‘Carrageenan which is derived from red marine algae.’ Which really sets off my weasel detector, because kappa and lambda are derived from the same plant and are not shown to be as effective as iota (but they sure are cheaper).

That is a great catch, I believe you are correct. Those shifty aussies

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Rescue Toaster posted:

In Seattle you can join up with a doctor practice that’s at reasonable patient load levels for around $300 a month. You still got to go to their office for your visits like a plebe, and they’ll charge your insurance as applicable, but you’ll be seeing somebody that can spend more than fifteen minutes with you. Someone I know had to capitulate to this recently because they’re going through a serious health issue and their PCP wouldn’t be able to pencil them in until February back in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Petey posted:

iirc peter attia charges $150K per patient per year to be their PCP
lmao