Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

odinson posted:

When drafting KTK, what rares (besies fetches) should I keep an eye out for regarding constructed formats? dig through time, hardened scales, jeskai ascendancy, mantis rider, either of the planeswalkers? ugin's nexus or the mill altar are for jank? narset, enlightened master? Already have 4x siege rhinos and the clone/shapeshifter.

dig through time exists in some historic/timeless decks only because of orky b, but treasure cruise is strictly better in explorer/pioneer

clever impersonator is in the gimmick discover decks and hardened scales is in jank, but both were already on arena

every other card you mentioned is trash. KTK is very low EV as far as arena is concerned.

kalel fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
How are people building Soldiers for standard rn? it feels like it should be great there's just So Much available, but what to cut?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

This went unsurprisingly 1-3. All the losses were exacerbated by some kind of screw/flood however, which feels a little better.

Loss 1, I didn't see my first swamp (of 8) until turn 9. There was a decent chance I could've won had I had drawn it earlier as I had a Sultai Scavenger rotting in my hand that had some decent attacking opportunities. Loss 2, I drew 6 lands in a row to start off before finally drawing something and promptly dying right after. Loss 3, I drew 9 lands and 6 spells so that was probably the most reasonable draw amongst my losses. If one of those spells had been my Crater's Claw, I might've won since they were low enough and I certainly had the mana.

I do want to say that I obviously didn't lose purely to variance (other than loss 2) because the deck was just fundamentally underpowered. The few pieces of action I drew were largely unimpactful.

Oh well. I think I'll do one more KTK draft next week and that'll be a wrap on the format for me. Not a big fan of having to identify the open lane in terms of both spells and lands, especially if there are 5c drafters around snapping up all the lands. Maybe when I'm a little more experienced, the challenge will be more fun, but I'm still working on drafting spells right now.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

I finally managed to get my standard Anvil deck to Mythic, so I feel like I can declare that the Oni-Cult is minimally viable again - thanks Ojer Axonil! I think I maybe ran into 3 slightly different mirror matches through the whole of plat / diamond, and have had quite a few mouse-hovers over Ojer on the way, so feels fairly unique.

Tends to win just by the skin of it's teeth, coming from behind to do 10+ damage in one turn, which is fun. Pumping Ojer with a Thrillseeker / map tokens helps a lot; playing a Epicure for 4+ damage feels like cheating, pumping a Harvester / Soulripper with a Thrillseeker and then sac-ing it has also won a few games. Ob N's devils also work with Ojer, but he's mostly for stabilising health / distracting attacks while the rest of the deck comes together. Usually able to grind out a win vs U/W control which is satisfying even if it takes forever.

Deck for the curious - almost certainly not optimised, but works enough:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Did Wizards ever explain why Jeskai Ascendancy is absurdly more powerful than the other Ascendancies?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Jeskai is the best color. Yes I know it's three colors.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Just saw that Kaladesh Remastered is coming back to Arena for ~a week. 1/2 - 1/9. So I guess I'll ask the same question. Best rares besides the fastlands (I think thats the term?) with the highest chance of seeing constructed play. Disallow (I've seen recently in a UW Lotus Field), Paradoxical outcome, Blue gearhulk, fumigate (probably outclassed these days), scrapheap scrounger, gonti, bomat courier, Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Indomitable Creativity, Hope of Ghirapur, sculpting steel, aetherflux reservoir, panharmonicon(looks like no), paradox engine, skysovereign, planar bridge, metalwork colossus(got a 5-8th place finish in a 19 player Pioneer Tournament in france in july lol)?
https://scryfall.com/sets/klr?order=rarity&as=grid

Obviously I'm not gonna be able learn and blast through a whole set in a week, so I guess my real follow up question is...

What's the best way to find out questions like this. Mtgtop8/search, pick a card, set a date range for results, pick a format, click search button, and then guess if the results are statistically significant.

Seems like many of these are one of SB cards while others like gearhulk and creativity you want 3x+

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Shrecknet posted:

Did Wizards ever explain why Jeskai Ascendancy is absurdly more powerful than the other Ascendancies?
In what context? For Limited, all Ascendancies are pretty terrible stats-wise...except Abzan, which is a huge bomb. It's definitely bolstered by Abzan being very good in general, but Jeskai is decidedly fine as a deck but the Ascendancy is, like, actively making your deck worse by including it. Was it ever played in Constructed?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Simply Simon posted:

In what context? For Limited, all Ascendancies are pretty terrible stats-wise...except Abzan, which is a huge bomb. It's definitely bolstered by Abzan being very good in general, but Jeskai is decidedly fine as a deck but the Ascendancy is, like, actively making your deck worse by including it. Was it ever played in Constructed?

Yeah there was both a tokens deck and a combo deck that used it.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
it's a pretty popular combo deck in timeless right now too

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I don’t remember but was Prowess introduced in KTK? It being a new mechanic may have led to undervaluing how good ascendancy was/is.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

odinson posted:

Just saw that Kaladesh Remastered is coming back to Arena for ~a week. 1/2 - 1/9. So I guess I'll ask the same question. Best rares besides the fastlands (I think thats the term?) with the highest chance of seeing constructed play. Disallow (I've seen recently in a UW Lotus Field), Paradoxical outcome, Blue gearhulk, fumigate (probably outclassed these days), scrapheap scrounger, gonti, bomat courier, Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Indomitable Creativity, Hope of Ghirapur, sculpting steel, aetherflux reservoir, panharmonicon(looks like no), paradox engine, skysovereign, planar bridge, metalwork colossus(got a 5-8th place finish in a 19 player Pioneer Tournament in france in july lol)?
https://scryfall.com/sets/klr?order=rarity&as=grid

to be honest I don't know if it's worth it to do this unless you play historic brawl (now referred to as simply "brawl") or unless you're working towards a specific deck you know you want to build ahead of time. I would never take indomitable creativity (terrible in limited) over one of the busted commons in a pick 1, and even if the pack sucked and it didn't really matter, I would take it with the idea of committing to building out the rest of pioneer creativity with wildcards, because otherwise it's just going to sit in my collection unused. that card is not being used any other deck, so if you're not into pioneer anyway it's a worthless pickup. conversely, I would always take skysovereign in any pick 1 because it's a bomb that goes in every limited deck, regardless if I need it for pioneer greasefang.

quote:

Obviously I'm not gonna be able learn and blast through a whole set in a week, so I guess my real follow up question is...

What's the best way to find out questions like this. Mtgtop8/search, pick a card, set a date range for results, pick a format, click search button, and then guess if the results are statistically significant.

Seems like many of these are one of SB cards while others like gearhulk and creativity you want 3x+

normally I would search the set code in scryfall and sort by price to get a rough idea of the usage, i.e. how desirable a card it is, but you can't do that with arena only remasters like KLR since the cards are coded separately from their paper counterparts in scryfall. you could try something like ((set:kld or set:aer) and legal:timeless) and sort by price but you might get the odd include from an anthology or bonus sheet

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t think it’s that unusual for one card of a cycle to be significantly better than the other four.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's not remotely unusual, no.

I mean, just look at the Praetors, the Invokes, for recent examples.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
man does it feel bad to go 0-3 due to land screw in an 18 land deck (yes, bo1)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

sometimes you go 0-3 and it sucks. i think i go 0-3 more often than many players because i am bad at drafting

here's my most recent failure https://www.17lands.com/draft/568f80751d954eca9d6dc45960c28c46

i left 17lands open and went for things with higher pickrate rather than think about synergies or work on what is known to be good, which i think was the major failure. also, i had just gotten blown out in my previous two drafts by "master of the way" so i picked it higher to try it out, went in w a bad 4c deck and died to the mana being bad. i also threw g1 on not realizing an on the board play would let me live.

it feels bad to lose gold on conversion like that. i only do f2p, poorly, because i dont like spending money on this

i'm not sure what to do, it never feels like i actually get better at limited. like some people just know what good cards are, based on playing a ton.

happy new year!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i also know the key to this is to play more but when playing is tied to a currency i will only play when i can “afford” to

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think we sometimes forget that Magic really is quite a difficult game, difficult on multiple levels, doubly so with limited. Add in the random element, some of which is quite subtle, and it can be really hard to tell what went wrong, where the mistakes lay, and so hard to learn from.

I think eventually with enough time everyone begins to pick up the correct intuition about plays and strategies, but that requires practice and experience, and more to the point, it requires drafts, which aren’t free. So yeah I think people shouldn’t beat themselves up for doing poorly.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Share Bear posted:

sometimes you go 0-3 and it sucks. i think i go 0-3 more often than many players because i am bad at drafting

here's my most recent failure https://www.17lands.com/draft/568f80751d954eca9d6dc45960c28c46

i left 17lands open and went for things with higher pickrate rather than think about synergies or work on what is known to be good, which i think was the major failure. also, i had just gotten blown out in my previous two drafts by "master of the way" so i picked it higher to try it out, went in w a bad 4c deck and died to the mana being bad. i also threw g1 on not realizing an on the board play would let me live.

it feels bad to lose gold on conversion like that. i only do f2p, poorly, because i dont like spending money on this

i'm not sure what to do, it never feels like i actually get better at limited. like some people just know what good cards are, based on playing a ton.

happy new year!

what column of 17lands are you looking at that tells you take Singing Bell Strike?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

what column of 17lands are you looking at that tells you take Singing Bell Strike?

its 6th pick and i like it for removal if in blue but the wr on it is bad, i did not consider that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

In a format as slow as KTK, the bell is occasionally even an upside for the enchanted creature.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I cannot loving wait until KTK limited is over. Draft formats that force you into three colors and open you up to three straight losses due to color screw can go to hell.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Share Bear posted:

happy new year!
Happy new year! Join the Discord and ask people to coach you during a draft. This will help you massively because you get tons of card evaluation information from people who can explain anything you have questions about. It will be a lot more useful for you to understand why a card is bad/good than just knowing the raw stats on it

anakha posted:

I cannot loving wait until KTK limited is over. Draft formats that force you into three colors and open you up to three straight losses due to color screw can go to hell.
1) just start with a two enemy color deck and then just lightly splash, or don't splash at all? That's the best tactic anyway
2) alternatively, LCI is still online? Who's forcing you to play Khans?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

Happy new year! Join the Discord and ask people to coach you during a draft. This will help you massively because you get tons of card evaluation information from people who can explain anything you have questions about. It will be a lot more useful for you to understand why a card is bad/good than just knowing the raw stats on it

1) just start with a two enemy color deck and then just lightly splash, or don't splash at all? That's the best tactic anyway

what is the discord link?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

1) That's exactly what I did (BW with a G splash for Anafenza and Armament Corps). Didn't stop the RNG shitfest.
2) Having an alternate option isn't the issue. I don't want to spend a week playing limited in one set only because that gets boring fast.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Share Bear posted:

what is the discord link?
https://discord.gg/5tsv4tmBdE

It's in the op

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I need to break the habit of immediately starting a new draft after a losing streak, especially when I'm tired or too tense. I should take a second to decide whether to continue playing. But often the impulse is to restart right away.

I think it's psychologically kind of a sunk cost fallacy. Sorta like in gambling, even if skill's a major part of the equation here.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Meanwhile, did an LCI trad because the competition was so soft last time

https://www.17lands.com/draft/6c7fd2817afe445cabd181a01ad29b1c

I happened to be the only G drafter at the table, which I noticed immediately and capitalized enormously on. I thought to supplement it with a few W cards (Kutzil comes to mind), but then I got passed (somehow, from the person I gave Abrade, Appraiser and various other amazing R cards in P1) a Dracosaur so yeah R secondary it is. With two Frogs, no biggie.

"But Simon, surely you don't mean the only G drafter, as in, literally?"

This took me a bit to play out (holidays etc.) but yeah this deck was obviously busted. I was able to do it justice and get a relatively easy 3-0. My single loss was against a Golgari player - shout outs to a mostly well-built stally controlly deck ("mostly" because it still had that awful Skulltaker in it) which in their victory took my two-drop after mulligan with a Bat, had removal three times in a row for my next three creatures, and in the end I wasn't able to stabilize after all of those setbacks - only the sheer quantity of good creatures in my deck kept me in the game at all. Also, a very good and tense first game where they also took something with the Bat, I at one point had no board against their two solid creatures, and I just barely managed to stabilize at 1 life against their 28. Then I kept playing dinos and destroyed them, that was so cool and satisfying.

I only had Dracosaur live once and they immediately conceded. I even held out for it in two other games - as in, waiting 2-3 turns to bait removal - but they always had yet another one (including one match against the Golgari opp, where they had back-to-back Join the Dead). The real MVP was Sentinel, what an amazing card to just play on T3 and go "yeah so what's your answer?"

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Is there really no way to sort by card styles in my collection? Wouldn’t this encourage people to spend more wildcards, thus making WOTC more money?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

djfooboo posted:

Is there really no way to sort by card styles in my collection? Wouldn’t this encourage people to spend more wildcards, thus making WOTC more money?

They have improved the UI for cosmetics so much yet it still sucks so loving bad. At least you can favorite them now and once you select shouldn't have to ever again.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Back in Gold so time to do more LCI Premier

https://www.17lands.com/draft/daa00456c7d542e2b09479981ac37d6e

I'm not sure I navigated this correctly. Blue was perhaps the most open color, but I also got a lot of strong White cards early, which made me focus on a UW aggro build, but ultimately none of the really necessary pieces for that were there, so it ended up an awkward hybrid. I saw R being suspiciously open with a last pick Tomb Raider being the most obvious signal, but I figured at that point it was a) too late and b) I hadn't actually passed or seen that many good Red cards, and that trend continued.

So maybe I stuck to the right lane after all. There was a sadly slightly common issue of getting a pack which was essentially blank - only Jund cards - followed by one with, like, five banger in my colors. Very annoying. Anyway, the end result:

Two hammers with zero Guidewings, Schooner with no creature 1-drops, Landmark necessary for my artifact count, I passed a bunch of Puzzle-Doors and didn't see them wheel - really could be better. Otoh one can just win with 3 Cloud Guards, and I can smoothly transition into a lategame deck with the Mural, just play the landcyclers out, it's not terrible but also not what I would wish it looked like.

1-1 at the moment, lost to someone who had *drumroll* two Guidewings and enough removal for my fliers. They were Orzhov but all the key cards they had were W, by the way, including two Dusk Rose Reliquaries, Tote for the sac material, and flipped Bricks to make the Guidewings deal enough damage so I couldn't pressure with flipped Mural in time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I did one this morning. I went 1/3 in RB, after seeing basically no decent cards almost the entire draft.

It kinda sucked but like. After the draft it felt inevitable because lol, I had such a middling deck I was lucky even to get the win I got.

I hate those ones.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I haven't played the games yet, but I am confident that this is the best deck I have ever drafted in my 10 or whatever years of playing Magic
https://www.17lands.com/draft/1e707e71a0684a3c9289b5d61002ce8a

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
Saw on Twitter yesterday -- could be fixed by now -- but the "blueprint" style of Mishra's Bauble was incorrectly priced and was available at 90% off regular pricing.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I really miss the option the used to have for going into art style mode to see what cards you had styles for. Also for right clicking cards in your deck to go to a style menu. Both really useful.

Semi related, but there should be a filter in the card search for cards-already-in-deck. It would be surprisingly useful

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Can confirm that I just opened the app and bought it for 200 gold

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Throwback Kaladesh draft is up! Starting things off right rare-drafting ten rares and two mythics, yippee. Excited to see if the Izzet Artifacts I drafted around that will do anything.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Throwback Kaladesh draft is up! Starting things off right rare-drafting ten rares and two mythics, yippee. Excited to see if the Izzet Artifacts I drafted around that will do anything.

screenshot not loading

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i was just thinking - i wonder what wizards long term plan is with the magic online client. it's so old, but people spent a lot of money on that client, so i assume they can't just shut it down. it does a lot of things better than arena in my opinion, but is also clunky as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

You can play real formats other than standard on mtgo, and that alone makes it worthwhile.

The interface isn’t really that bad unless you grew up on mobile phone games and can’t deal without a bunch of noise and animations. As an old I just don’t see the point of any of that poo poo. Just give me cards and a rules engine.