Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I have a biopsy for my tongue issue that is probably not but could be cancer on January 15th. I’ve been waiting for months for this - and I’m pretty sure all it is is an infection that requires more t than the loving week of meds they keep giving me, because a lot other stuff got better when I was in it and immeditelt got worse when I ran out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Potato Salad posted:

N95 lets 1 in 20 virions go through

1 particle is all it takes to infect someone

these fucken people

Rochallor posted:

Your point stands, but I think it was Fit Test The World guy who demonstrated that properly fitted N95s are actually 97 or 98 percent effective. Either way though, you need to be lucky every time, it only needs to be lucky once.

Fireworks woke me up and they show no sign of slowing, so happy new year thread

point doesn't stand at all, that's not what n95 means.

n95 means that it filters 95% of 0.3μm particles. but they filter more effectively for both larger AND smaller particles. this general point is true for kn95, p2, n98, n99 etc. etc. - they'll all have a specific particle size that they filter to a specific level, but they'll perform better on either side of that particle size [i'm actually not 100% sure that this is true for the very finest filters])

covid virions are ~0.1μm or smaller. but they're never just rawdog floating around, even as an aerosol they're attached to tiny droplets (note this is not aerosol vs. droplet; i'm talking micro droplets here, but still behaving as an aerosol) which are >1μm. so they've got no hope of getting through a n95.

a well-fitted n95 is going to offer close to perfect protection from inhaled covid in pretty much any situation you encounter in the real world. if you want to take extra precautions because of the "well-fitted" and "inhaled" caveats, then go for it, but the respirators themselves are going to do their job.

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 07:38 on Jan 1, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve mentioned this a few times but my anesthesiologist friend wore a disposable n95 and goggles in the Covid ward for the first two years of the pandemic, intubating Covid patients who sprayed her with their their Covid geysers and she never got Covid until her parents brought it home from the restaurant

mask efficacy number probably doesn’t translate directly into Covid risk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Spotted these guys wandering around my local shopping centre and 'observing' everything. (I made sure not to get their faces in the photo when I took this shot.)

They came and wandered around the supermarket and stood there going :colbert: while they watched the crowded line at the checkout slowly inch forwards. They weren't wearing masks so I guess they already marshaled all the covid??

Rianlee posted:

In the Flo information insert, it states: Carrageenan 1.6mg/ml (1.2mg/ml iota-Carrageenan and 0.4mg/ml kappa-Carrageenan).

Here's a photo of the one I bought off the shelf here in Australia a while back:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Spotted these guys wandering around my local shopping centre and 'observing' everything. (I made sure not to get their faces in the photo when I took this shot.)

They came and wandered around the supermarket and stood there going :colbert: while they watched the crowded line at the checkout slowly inch forwards. They weren't wearing masks so I guess they already marshaled all the covid??

Gotta appreciate the high-vis vest for Covid safety.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What is even the point of them? Like, I'd expect them to just not be there because they remind people that COVID exists, but since they're there, what the gently caress are they even there for if they're just walking around, maskless, "observing"?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
p sure they're just mall security wearing leftover hi-viz vests from three years ago, back when melbourne actually was taking this poo poo seriously

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Seems like it may be a joke, especially since one of them has their vest on inside out.

e: or the above, yeah

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kreeblah posted:

What is even the point of them? Like, I'd expect them to just not be there because they remind people that COVID exists, but since they're there, what the gently caress are they even there for if they're just walking around, maskless, "observing"?

The front of their high-viz vests had the logo of the shopping centre so I'm guessing they were doing a monthly covid safety inspection to ensure the company was meeting the state covid protection regulations (which as far as I know are pretty much zero these days) and tick off all the boxes on a safety check list

"Did you observe any covid virions floating in the air within the designated business boundary? Yes No
Did you observe any covid virions attaching themselves to surfaces (fomites) within the designated business boundary? Yes No
Did you observe any covid virions attaching themselves to the ACE2 receptors inside the lungs of any customers or staff within the designated business boundary? Yes No "

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

maxwellhill posted:

now that right there is a bs take

narcissists and psychopaths can actually gently caress right off from being around the vulnerable, and it's sketch to state otherwise

holy poo poo this is disgusting...

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023
so because i live with a personality disorder im bad and not welcome here?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

happy 5th yesr of the apocalypse

stayed in, put my dog in a tight hoodie and fed her lots of peanut butter and pupsicles because of the fireworks

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Potato Salad posted:

N95 lets 1 in 20 virions go through
Not really, also a lot of N95s are way better than 95. Many are 98-99%+, based on testing data posted by Petey and some other folks.

Steve Yun posted:

it’s been a while since I looked it up but I think you need 100,000 virions to form a plaque forming unit. anything below that stays below critical mass
It depends on the pathogen, strain, culture bottle, etc., and is specific to all those things. I have seen it vary by orders of magnitude.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mola Yam posted:

covid virions are ~0.1μm or smaller. but they're never just rawdog floating around, even as an aerosol they're attached to tiny droplets (note this is not aerosol vs. droplet; i'm talking micro droplets here, but still behaving as an aerosol) which are >1μm. so they've got no hope of getting through a n95.

a well-fitted n95 is going to offer close to perfect protection from inhaled covid in pretty much any situation you encounter in the real world. if you want to take extra precautions because of the "well-fitted" and "inhaled" caveats, then go for it, but the respirators themselves are going to do their job.

I may be severely misremembering it: was it not clear by 2022 that (1) an infected person can shed unsuspended virions and (2) that the number of omicron particles potentially needed to infect a human was as low as a few to one

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

puncturewound78 posted:

so because i live with a personality disorder im bad and not welcome here?

no one is or was ever talking about you

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Your point stands, but I think it was Fit Test The World guy who demonstrated that properly fitted N95s are actually 97 or 98 percent effective. Either way though, you need to be lucky every time, it only needs to be lucky once.

Fireworks woke me up and they show no sign of slowing, so happy new year thread

That's not the case though? There's this:

Mola Yam posted:

point doesn't stand at all, that's not what n95 means.

n95 means that it filters 95% of 0.3μm particles. but they filter more effectively for both larger AND smaller particles. this general point is true for kn95, p2, n98, n99 etc. etc. - they'll all have a specific particle size that they filter to a specific level, but they'll perform better on either side of that particle size [i'm actually not 100% sure that this is true for the very finest filters])

but also you don't have to get lucky every time, you just have to get lucky enough until you die from something else. Which might sound like not much of a difference, but it probably should remove worrying about N95 filter medium.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Not COVID posted:

It really is a vertibrate-eat-vertibrate world out there.

Username/post

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
every time “is your >= N95 mask good enough” discourse starts up in the thread, in the background context of 95% of people taking zero precautions because they have active covidceps, I just mentally glaze over and assume there’s some kind of fbi or cia thing happening. no one person in specific. just a general immanent psyop unfolding in real time.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Petey posted:

I just mentally glaze over and assume there’s some kind of fbi or cia thing happening. no one person in specific. just a general immanent psyop unfolding in real time.

I think/hope SA's the last place on the internet free of such things, but who knows anymore.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i read something a while back about fbi agents being unable to get a budget for a high times subscription. makes me think a membership here would also be a problem for them unless they had some big case to crack

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
The spook budget for SA reregs is eye popping, they can't stop saying slurs and getting banned

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the numbers guy and the bitcoin guy are probably cops, sure

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DickParasite posted:

I think/hope SA's the last place on the internet free of such things, but who knows anymore.

Lmao, Brown Moses comes from here

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Petey posted:

every time “is your >= N95 mask good enough” discourse starts up in the thread, in the background context of 95% of people taking zero precautions because they have active covidceps, I just mentally glaze over and assume there’s some kind of fbi or cia thing happening. no one person in specific. just a general immanent psyop unfolding in real time.
Also, the "I caught it at a grocery store wearing a fitted N95" stuff is impossible to verify, both for us and for them. Was it actually fit-tested properly? Do they live in an apartment building with lots of inter-apartment air exchange? Were they insanely unlucky and just encountered a super-duper spreader? Most people I know are fully Open Biden and generally do not catch it except during waves, vacations with long air travel, or through their kids; I'm not worried about my occasional grocery outings in my V-Flex.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
somebody coughed on their eyeballs and then they had to try all the free samples

if i cant eat free samples at costco i dont want to be alive

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Also, the "I caught it at a grocery store wearing a fitted N95" stuff is impossible to verify, both for us and for them. Was it actually fit-tested properly? Do they live in an apartment building with lots of inter-apartment air exchange? Were they insanely unlucky and just encountered a super-duper spreader? Most people I know are fully Open Biden and generally do not catch it except during waves, vacations with long air travel, or through their kids; I'm not worried about my occasional grocery outings in my V-Flex.

Yeah the population who are taking even moderate precautions consistently and not exposed every single day via family/roommates is absolutely microscopic. When we ponder questions about transmission via the eyes, or transmission from vet->pet->owner, those kinds of things, the sample size is just way too loving small to draw conclusions. "I wear my N95's all the time and still got sick! (details redacted)" vs "I got blasted in the face every day for two years with COVID soup while wearing a kleenex as a mask and never got sick!" are anecdotes of little-to-no utility for assessing personal risk.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

genericnick posted:

Lmao, Brown Moses comes from here

true but I always felt like that was more a AAA player getting called up to the majors or something. IDK.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Ehh my kid has been in the covid mines at school every day for 3 years now and hasn't gotten it yet, with only a Korean semi-n95 for protection. Indoors, not masking outdoors.

Sure it's anecdotal, but that's a ton of known exposure without eye protection. I know it's *possible* to get through the eyes. Or from being coughed on outdoors. Or from fomites. But I'm pretty convinced that the chances are drat low from those vectors, and it isn't worth worrying about toooo much. As long as you are consistent with (good) masking indoors, you can probably go a long time without catching this thing, unless you are very unlucky.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Were I a doctor or someone public-facing in a very high traffic context I might consider eye protection. As it is I don't bother beyond my regular prescription lenses

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i appear to have made it through the yearly gauntlet without having got sick

everyone is loving sick of hearing my wife and i talk about masking though. we both pointed out that neither of us have been sick in four years, and asked our families to name a single person, anywhere, that could say the same. (they could not, and did not think that was remarkable) i have just a million anecdotes from a short period that aren't worth recalling because they're all so familiar.

"getting sick is normal, why are you so worried about it," despite having just talked about everyone they know with children having to jump through hoops to make sure their kids aren't considered truant due to being sick too much. not making this up, three different sets of parents with children who all had to do this. and they're only halfway through the school year!!!!

i never heard of anything like that growing up.

also had to call off a visit with a friend because she had walking pneumonia (her son was one that had to submit paperwork to avoid truancy)

e: also noticed lots of paxlovid ads on television/airports/billboards

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Jan 1, 2024

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
For every day, a vflex or a wellbefore head strap in blue are our go-tos. If and when I enter the patient mines I'll invest in some prescription goggly things, but I don't spend much time around crowds so the mask is good enough for now, and my kid wears a mask most of the time and has avoided it for almost 2 years at this point.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
we actually had a small W in that my dumb SIL voluntarily told us all her husband was sick and acknowledged that it was a thing that we cared deeply about, and therefore convinced him to stay at home.

... never mind that her or my nieces would have almost certainly also been sick...

he was just hung over after a three day bender but hey I'll take any acknowledgment of the reality these days

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

SixteenShells posted:

Were I a doctor or someone public-facing in a very high traffic context I might consider eye protection. As it is I don't bother beyond my regular prescription lenses

My understanding is that something as simple as prescription lenses is gonna be enough for eye protection. The risk there is literally droplets and spit, so the concern is stuff being shot directly into your eyeballs. Safety glasses will be better of course as they'll catch the edge cases where somebody coughs at just the right angle, but normal glasses/sunglasses should do the trick in almost every circumstance, especially as ocular transmission seems rather uncommon in the first place.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Jan 1, 2024

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

So what should I say to folks who contact me about where to get paxlovid now that it's January 1st? 'Sorry, you're out of luck. Take this various list of supplements and hope you'll get through this' just seems a bit callous to me (even though it's facts)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

So what should I say to folks who contact me about where to get paxlovid now that it's January 1st? 'Sorry, you're out of luck. Take this various list of supplements and hope you'll get through this' just seems a bit callous to me (even though it's facts)

I don't know if it's actually out. you can tell them to try drb or Test2Treat with an IRL pharmacy first for emergencies (and just refuse pickup if there's a cost they don't want to pay), and then try Test2Treat via mail next which might still be paid for (they'd ask you for payment before shipping if that's a thing)

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah the big question marks we don't know (and likely never will have universal answers for, due to shithole privatized healthcare):

A) Once all the federal-paid-for pax is gone, how many/which pharmacies will stock it? This will probably just vary by state/area.
B) Will the telehealth (dr b, sesame, etc...) work anymore, will your pharmacy insurance cover it if prescribed by one of those, or will you spend months fighting with insurance or have to pay out of pocket? This will probably vary wildly due to insurance policies.
C) What limits will insurance have on pax prescriptions? Someone said they heard no more than every 300 days. What happens if you catch COVID more often than that? Do you have to appeal?
D) Will your private insurance require a positive COVID test to pay for pax? Is a RAT enough? Does it need to be 'witnessed' or administered by a nurse like they did with travel testing? Does it need to be PCR? Where would you even get a PCR? How much does THAT cost?
E) Will it be possible at all to get 10 days of pax even if you could convince your doctor?

Thankfully it's not like we're having a major COVID surge at the same time as this changeover is happening.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Judging from people's past experience it won't just vary by state/area/insurance provider, it'll also vary by which store you go to, which person handles your dr b request and which pharmacist employee you speak to. It'll probably be even more chaotic than before in that regard

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
the tools exist. you cannot have them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

i'm just glad we have a byzantine system of checks and regulations that ensure effectively nobody gets desperately needed medicine because without that system one person might get medicine they don't absolutely need and that would drive me nuts!!!